Paul McCartney as a rigorous intuition subject.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Paul McCartney as a rigorous intuition subject.

Postby vince » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Like I'm gonna buy it AGAIN!?!?
Wonder if they're still leaving that crappy "Hey Bulldog" segment?
vince

Blog: View Blog (4)

Ram on.

Postby IanEye » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:56 pm

vince wrote:AGAIN!?!?
Wonder if they're still leaving that crappy "Hey Bulldog" segment?

eye have no i dea.

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

that was your last mistake

Postby IanEye » Tue May 22, 2012 9:21 pm

IanEye

Postby vince » Wed May 23, 2012 9:50 am

Yes.... "Thillington".
While there's really nothing to this 'muzak' version of RAM, the cover has always made me think that maybe Sir Paul had been interested in The Residents, especially the "Meet The Residents" album, with it's fake liner notes about who The Residents were."Thrills", in the liner notes, also seems to hail from the Louisiana area!
Even more strange is that "Thrillington" came out BEFORE The Residents dressed up in their OWN tux and 'face-mask' look on their album "Eskimo"!

PS. Never saw that 'creepy clown' picture of Paul before! Whoa! :shock:
vince

maybe eye'm amazed

Postby IanEye » Wed May 23, 2012 11:39 am

Money's too tight to mention for me right now, but eye promised my self that when the Deluxe edition of "RAM" was released I would buy it.
So, when i saw it in Newbury Comics yesterday, i didn't hesitate.

vince wrote:"Thrills", in the liner notes, also seems to hail from the Louisiana area!

PS. Never saw that 'creepy clown' picture of Paul before! Whoa! :shock:

well vince, it might amuse you to find out that Paul & Linda dressed up as clowns for Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

also of note, both Donald "Duck" Dunn & Robin Gibb impersonated the bassist for the Beatles during thier long & winding careers.

see you in the funny papers!

IanEye

Postby vince » Thu May 24, 2012 9:33 am

My fave track on "Thillington" is the happy-reggae version of "Eat At Home".
vince

lonely driver

Postby IanEye » Fri May 25, 2012 1:31 pm

vince wrote:My fave track on "Thillington" is the happy-reggae version of "Eat At Home".

vince, eye am sure that Paul was quite used to walking around with a pocket full of Trojans, some of them used!

IanEye

Postby OpLan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:15 am

I came across this blogpost,thought you folks might like it..
Examining the "Paul is Dead" Rumors in 1969
I was 16, in 1976, when I first discovered the availability of bootlegs. After written requests to addresses in the back of a magazine, a few different catalogs arrived in the mail, and I stocked up on things like The Sweet Apple Tracks (still a favorite), The Beatles Christmas Album and a host of other Beatle related products of varying quality, from priceless to dubious.

One catalog promised something a bit different - reel to reel tapes featuring spoken word content involving or about the Beatles or the individual members. There were collections of Beatles press conferences, excerpts from the "Lennon Remembers" interview with Jann Wenner, a copy of a promotional interview released for a George Harrison album, and so forth. And so, long before I started deliberately collecting ephemera on this most magnificent of recording formats, I sent away for a half-dozen reels, perhaps the first reels I owned that were not pre-packaged releases from record companies or home-recorded tapes from my family's own collection.

The one that intrigued me the most promised to hold a radio documentary about the "Paul is Dead" rumors of late 1969. Every now and then I've thought about this tape, especially after a different program on the rumors was posted to the first 365 days project, several years ago.

This program is hosted by Christopher Glenn, who later went on to be the voice behind the iconic Saturday Morning "In the News" programs for kids, as well as the voice of the CBS World News Roundup, until just months before his death in 2006. The show features some of the early "clues", an interview with one of the people who broke the "story", other "expert" insight, and a lot of speculation.

I've always found the Paul is Dead stuff really fascinating - Iwhile don't believe for a moment that The Beatles were in any way behind the rumors, the sociology of it is quite compelling, and the lengths to which people went to imagine some of the clues is amazing. You can do the same thing with a lot of different ideas - I knew someone who came up with dozens of clues to show that The Beatles were trying to let us know that John had gone blind, just to show how easy it was to make unrelated lyrics and photos seem to mean something more important, and of course Charles Manson went in yet another direction with what he was sure was hidden in the lyrics. But that this particular group of clues spread so quickly and so completely is really something.

There is no indication within the program, as heard on the tape, as to its source, and the tape box was completely generic. But this program appears to date from very early in the spread of the rumors - I'm guessing late October or early November of 1969 - because many of the more obscure "clues" which were later taken as central to the "hoax" are not mentioned, and don't appear to have been "discovered" yet. What's interesting here is the almost complete acceptance of the exceptionally unlikely idea that The Beatles were involved in the hoax, on the part of everyone who is heard on the show.

Also interesting is that, despite being put together by a talented, respected newsman (and no doubt at least a few researchers), this program repeats the assumption that Paul wrote the music and John wrote the words, a description of their partnership that was never true, let alone by 1969. And finally, where would the report have come from in late 1969 that "The Beatles are known to be working on a new album"? By the time Abbey Road was released, John had quit the band, although this had been hushed up quite effectively, and although Let It Be was still awaiting release, no one at that time would have been reporting that the Beatles were recording together.

Download the documentary in mp3 format at the link
OpLan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MinM » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:16 am

Springsteen and McCartney cut off by London curfew

By Linnie Rawlinson, CNN
updated 10:49 PM EDT, Sat July 14, 2012

He was joined for the finale by Beatles legend Paul McCartney. The two, seen here with Joe Walsh and Dave Grohl at the Grammys in February, played "I Saw Her Standing There" and "Twist and Shout" before the power was pulled by concert organizers.

Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney have sound cut off at London festival
Fans left angry and disappointed as rock idols are forced to cut set short
Concert organizers pull the plug in line with local council's strict curfew

London (CNN) -- Bruce Springsteen had been waiting for this moment for a long time. "I gotta tell you," he said to the 65,000-strong crowd, "I've been trying to do this for 50 years." For the finale of his headline slot in London's Hyde Park on Saturday, he'd arranged a very special treat: An onstage collaboration with Beatles legend Paul McCartney.

But the rock megastar hadn't banked on the local London council deciding to show him who was boss.

At the climax of his three-hour set, Springsteen and McCartney, backed by the E Street Band and Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello, played a storming rendition of "I Saw Her Standing There" to a rapturous crowd. Springsteen's delight was palpable: He grinned throughout, his face lit up like a child with a super-sized Christmas gift.

The supergroup then segued into a sizzling version of "Twist and Shout" -- but as the night peaked against a backdrop of fireworks, a drably dressed man with sensible hair could be seen waving frantically at the back of the stage, indicating the rock legends' time was drawing to a close.

Rare look at rocker Bruce Springsteen Bruce Springsteen and the working man
Then, at 10:40 p.m. local time, as Springsteen and McCartney were winding up the extended "Twist and Shout," the sound suddenly dampened, and went quiet.

At first, the Boss didn't seem to notice. He attempted to address the crowd, apparently unaware that they couldn't hear him. But as it became clear that there was no amplification, he and lead guitarist Stevie Van Zandt played what looked to be a brief a cappella goodnight for the benefit of the front rows, shrugged, and left the stage.

London's Westminster Council later confirmed that concert organizers Hard Rock Calling had cut the power, saying they "were sticking to their license for the event." According to the Hard Rock Calling website, Springsteen had been due to finish his set at 10:15 p.m.

Conditions for holding concerts in London's biggest central park have been tightened in the past year, the BBC reported, due to an increase in complaints from local residents. The events, which bring vital funding to the parks management, have been cut in number from 13 to nine and crowd size has been reduced from 80,000 to 65,000 maximum. Campaigners in the well-heeled borough have also sought a reduction in permitted noise levels.

Springsteen is known for his marathon sets. This night was no different. He'd come on stage at 7:30 p.m. and played without breaks for just over three hours, from a beautiful acoustic "Thunder Road" through an extensive list that included "Badlands," "Because the Night," "Waitin' on a Sunny Day" and "The River." He then hit his high-energy closing set of "Born in the USA," "Born to Run," "Glory Days" and "Dancing in the Dark" before bringing on the former Beatle for the finale.

But that wasn't enough to satisfy his fans, who were left baffled, then angry that their idol's set had been cut short.

"Ashamed to be British right now. Springsteen and McCartney playing 'Twist & Shout' in Hyde Park and council pulled the plug cos of curfew," tweeted actor and comedian Stephen Merchant.

British journalist Richard James tweeted, "Springsteen and McCartney: Only in Britain could a local council pull the plug on the greatest artists of the last 50 years giving it all."

Fan Liz Chong [@lizchong1] demanded the concert organizers apologize for cutting Springsteen and McCartney off mid-song, saying "Won't come again."

Sunday night sees Paul Simon take the stage. He should consider himself warned: Should he too decide to team up with a golden great for a grand finale, they'd better keep a closer eye on the clock.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/14/showbiz/m ... index.html
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby vince » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:23 pm

This is nothing new. On Zappa's "Ahead Of Their Time" (the 'live in England, 1968' recording), he and the band 'jam' until they heard a gong sound, after which, Frank told the audience that it was time to go. he said it was because the tube would be ending service for the night, and so, it was time to go.
vince

Postby vince » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 pm

vince

Postby MinM » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:05 am

Paul McCartney to fill in for Kurt Cobain in Nirvana reunion gig 5

WENN.COM

FIRST POSTED: WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2012 03:29 AM EST | UPDATED: WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2012 09:17 AM EST

Sir Paul McCartney is to fill in for Kurt Cobain as the surviving members of Nirvana reunite at the Superstorm Sandy benefit in New York on Wednesday.

Grunge stars Dave Grohl and bassist Krist Novoselic have reportedly enlisted the Beatle to play onstage with them at the Madison Square Garden charity gig.

The Fab Four legend reveals Grohl invited him to "jam with some mates", but admits he had no idea he was filling in for tragic rocker Cobain, who committed suicide in 1994.

Sir Paul tells Britain's The Sun, "I didn't really know who they were. They are saying how good it is to be back together. I said, 'Whoa? You guys haven't played together for all that time? And somebody whispered to me, 'That's Nirvana. You're Kurt.' I couldn't believe it."

The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, and Eric Clapton are also on the bill for the 12-12-12 Concert for Sandy Relief.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/12/pa ... eunion-gig

@onthemedia:

Maybe the world really is coming to an end in a couple days... Paul McCartney to replace Kurt Cobain in Nirvana reunion http://wny.cc/VVD1qn

https://twitter.com/onthemedia/status/2 ... 3099370496
MinM

12-12-12

Postby IanEye » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:41 pm

Ian Iachimoe wrote:all you horse riders.
IanEye

Postby Col. Quisp » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:54 pm

I happened to catch the show and I found it odd that he opened with "Helter Skelter," or "Healter Skelter" as it is otherwise known. Then he did "Let me roll it to you," or whatever it's called. Heart like a wheel? I dunno the title. Very bizarre. Then he said something like "Now it's time for the Wing span." Cute. He introduced some song about rain by saying he wrote it for his wife Nancy, during a rain storm. I have never heard of this wife Nancy. Perhaps she called herself Lil.

I tried to watch him on SNL but fell asleep. Not that I am a fan. In fact, I dislike his Wings crap. I just wanted to see what the heck he's up to.
Col. Quisp

dog black bird black dog black bird black dog black bird bla

Postby IanEye » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:01 pm

"This is a song Charles Manson gave to Led Zeppelin. Tonight, they realized that Manson had at best, 'borrowed' it from the Beatles. So, they gave it back." - Paul Hewson
IanEye

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion