Coincidences and Synchronicities

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Coincidences and Synchronicities

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:00 pm

This one has really punched me in the face this morning. I'm sorry for dominating this thread but I'm either waking up this year or they are coming at me at a much more furious pace.

A co-worker with whom I was working on a project this morning just sent an email to myself and another mutual co-worker (who, to wit, has the same name as I - but she's a female). To paraphrase, she said that she recalled the two of us discussing the television program Breaking Bad. The sender said that she doesn't watch the show, but recently read this article about the moral philosophy behind the character Walter White's decision to let an antagonist live or die on the show. She goes on to note that the author of the article misses some important insights into Kant's categorical imperative while discussing deontology.

The thing is, I'd never seen Breaking Bad before last night. I watched the first three episodes, culminating in that exact apex of conflict that the article discusses, which I watched immediately before retiring for the night. The morality of that moment weighed heavily on me as I was falling asleep, immediately after waking up, on the trolley ride to work, etc. There's no way for this person to have known I had been turning this scene from 2008 over and over in my head all morning, yet she mistook me for someone else and wrote to me about that very specific scene of that specific episode.

She also noted that it was even maybe more coincidental for two people in the same office to be thinking about categorical imperative, which I acknowledge is also odd.

It's somehow still disappointing to me that all of my recent synchronicities seem to be media-induced. I'm waiting for the physical world to deal me a material coincidence.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby dqueue » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:42 pm

I enjoyed a nice sync over the weekend. I had to run into a shopping mall for an appointment at the Apple store's "Genius Bar". Nightmare for me; as, I do not oft go to the mall. Anyhow, while waiting for the appointment, I watch people. A guy catches my eye, and I swear he's an old friend (who I hadn't seen in close to a year). Scrutinizing more closely, I realize it's not he, but he's now firmly on my mind. Appointment wraps; they address the problem, and I'm on my way.

Leaving the mall, I consider grabbing a late lunch. Traffic sucks; so, I hem, and haw. I do end up going to a nearby pub for a bite, and a pint. There on the patio in front of the pub is the friend who I had "seen" at the mall. Only, this time, it's really him. It's with great pleasure I stride up, and ask if I may join them.

Synchronous. In a way I have not experienced in quite some time.
We discover ourselves to be characters in a novel, being both propelled by and victimized by various kinds of coincidental forces that shape our lives. ... It is as though you trapped the mind in the act of making reality. - Terence McKenna
dqueue

Postby 82_28 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:27 pm

That's a good one dqueue.

Here's my latest. Happened to both me and my dad. My dad, fyi, just moved from Denver to Seattle in the last couple of days.

Anyhow, my mom and stepdad were driving with their camper through the mountains of Colorado last week and the engine on their Ford F-150 blew up -- kaput. They don't have the money to buy a new truck and don't likely have the money to throw a new engine in it, not to mention, they now have to figure out a way to get the camper back to the city. So I'm talking to my dad about what are we going to do to help them over the phone. See, he's packing and stuff to move from Denver to Seattle, so this is the last thing any of us need to worry about.

So I ask him, whatever happened to that guy we took our cars to back when I was in high school. Always gave us a break on the price and whatnot, go to salvage yards as opposed to getting new parts and etc. My dad says he hasn't seen that guy in over 20 years and hadn't even thought of him in all that time. We still can't remember his name. But perhaps, my line of thinking was, if he's still running the auto shop, then maybe he can affordably fix my mom and step-dad's truck.

Anyways, my dad says he's fallen off the map for the most part. His shop was way out of town in a rural area.

Bear in mind my dad is facing D-day for the move cross country. So he arranges to have his Comcast cable gear to be picked up from the house in Denver. The Comcast dude that comes to pick it up?

The dude in question!

When we go pick my dad up at the airport two days ago, he relayed this story to me and how absolutely coincidental it was.

I just said, "SEE. That's what I'm saying! Shit like this happens."

Sadly, I asked him if he asked him if he's still fixing cars on the side. My dad said "I should have, but I forgot." I need to get him to start leaping at these synchs and look at them as vital, divine intervention.

I've had a couple other ones these past few days along with a shit ton of dreams that meld with the future. But I can't of course, recall any of it handily at the moment. . .
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Hammer of Los » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:55 pm

82_28 wrote:Sadly, I asked him if he asked him if he's still fixing cars on the side. My dad said "I should have, but I forgot." I need to get him to start leaping at these synchs and look at them as vital, divine intervention.

Yeah.

Your dad needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Last edited by Hammer of Los on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer of Los

Postby Hammer of Los » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:It's somehow still disappointing to me that all of my recent synchronicities seem to be media-induced. I'm waiting for the physical world to deal me a material coincidence.

A lot of the media induced ones are artificial.

If you know what I mean.

They are of a certain order.

It depends where and how you place your attention.

But oh yes the physical synchronicity is another matter entirely.

My synchs cannot be spoken of.

Hammer of Los

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:50 pm

Hammer of Los wrote:...

Luther Blissett wrote:It's somehow still disappointing to me that all of my recent synchronicities seem to be media-induced. I'm waiting for the physical world to deal me a material coincidence.

A lot of the media induced ones are artificial.

If you know what I mean.

They are of a certain order.

It depends where and how you place your attention.

But oh yes the physical synchronicity is another matter entirely.

My synchs cannot be spoken of.

That's exactly why I have misgivings about all my participation in this thread - but they're common and seem impossible enough to mention. I don't feel like Netflix was promoting Breaking Bad to me through an unwitting coworker today. An alternative is that the article I posted (about philosophy in Breaking Bad) is part of the same concerted marketing campaign that finally hooked my girlfriend causing her to suggest we watch a few episodes last night. Possible, but unlikely. The real meat of my synch were the aspects of Kant and the moral imperative. I was searching my mind for insight and my coworker delivered it (well, not really. I don't mean this as any dig on fans of philosophy here but it's all childlike reflection).
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Hammer of Los » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:53 am

Likely the real meat was the clear emphasis on Philosophy.

That would make sense, dearly beloved.

Although I never liked Kant, to be honest. Not a fave of mine.

But not all media synchs are "artificial."

And in any case the distinction between "artificial" and "not artificial" is, er "artificial."

Here;

Absolutely relative are all conceptions of mind.

Hmm. May change that formulation again. Who knows?

At any rate.

Damn.

Synchronicity is a big subject.

Connections.

Integration.

Frameworks.

Building.

Combining.

Apophenia.

Pareidolia.

Synaesthesia.

The secrets within and without.

Look for the meaning of Your OWN Life.

Perhaps humbly asking your higher, better self for guidance might help.

Hammer of Los

Postby 82_28 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:11 am

So I put my cat down yesterday.

I went down to Seattle Animal Shelter with this lighter with a cat on it. I bought it because it had a cat on it because I was thinking fondly of cats. It was working fine when I used it before going in. A said a tearful adios to my cat. Went outside and the lighter no longer worked. Literally. My cat lighter lost all function.

Earlier in the day a homeless dude that comes in all the time and just wanders around the store came in. We give him water or coffee and such. The weather has been nice lately. But I said to him, "you all geared up for winter? You know it's coming soon" I was thinking of the song "Baby, It's cold outside". As soon as I said this "Baby, it's cold outside" came on. I was like holy fucking shit.

Well I get back from the euthanization appointment and this guy is sitting there telling me about how the musical instrument store he works for is all fucked up with this new management. It sorta brought up the scene in Wayne's World of NO Stairway to Heaven. And as soon as I open my mouth all I could say was "you have got to be fucking kidding me." I was like DUDE!!! This was exactly the song I was about to bring up! But then me, him and another co-worker were all baffled with the name of the well known movie, Wayne's World. We couldn't even think of it!

Dude said, I saw your face and you totally freaked out (or something). It totally threw me for a loop and then some. For the second time in the day I had called a song LITERALLY before it happened without thinking about it. Then my cat lighter thing and having to have a little funeral for a cat in some shelter's lobby.

Well then, I am standing next to some wooden paneled shit and, there is no one there. But I heard three distinct knocks. Just three knocks on wood. I work in an old building. I immediately sensed a "ghost". So I began tapping around on the wood behind me in order to reproduce the sound I heard. I found it. But again, there was no one around. I was the only one in the bar at that point.

4 in a row is a good one, I must admit. But the above is all true. . .
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Hammer of Los » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 am

Yer gettin' there, mr 8.

tap tap tap

Hammer of Los

Postby 82_28 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:33 am

huh?

No offense. But I am getting to what?
82_28

Postby Hammer of Los » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:49 am

Solving the riddle of your own life.

Who are you really, Mr 8?

Notice how the inner state is reflected in the outer material reality.

A looking glass.

It seems to me that increasing sensitivity to synchronicities denotes the development of a subtle sight.

The second sight.

You begin to notice patterns and connections.

Hammer of Los

Postby 82_28 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:56 am

Like say you are God somewhere Mr. Los. Say you really are God in the literal sense we all take it in. As a god, you being all poetically cagey and shit, doesn't it help to be a little more literal? Bro, I can fully glean where you're coming from and I enjoy it homie. But you really must have another method in writing your thoughts down. Am I wrong?

I went to the wok

there was chicken there

But the sauce was spicy

so I boiled it

because I love chicken

and realized maybe it was

the sauce and not the chicken

but the chicken bocked bocked bocked

while the sauce just sizzled

I then realized the egg had yet to hatch

What would that mean to you, bro.
82_28

Postby Nordic » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:20 am

I had a weird as hell one a few weeks ago.

Try to keep this concise.

First, my nine year old son is a huge fan of Nirvana, and Kurt Cobain. (try explaining what happened to him to a 9 year old. My son and I now have a joke that kids shouldn't be taught to read until they're in high school).

He is fascinated by Kurt Cobain.

He has been into rock music since before he could talk.

He and I went to a fantastic photography art gallery here in Santa Monica called The Peter Fetterman Gallery. http://www.peterfetterman.com/ This place is incredible. I could drop, no joke, 100K in this place in an afternoon. All the photos are for sale, and they're many thousands of dollars apiece, and he has some absolute masterpieces in there.

Anyway, he had an exhibit of old photographs of famous rock and roll stars. Real photos, printed from the original camera negatives, the film that was in the camera right in front of the artist. Speaking of Art and Magic, I have always felt there's a certain magic to this old style of photography. It's light, after all, often from the sun ....... and the whole idea of the "latent image", and the idea that a photograph steals a little piece of your soul ....

My son and I are walking through this gallery. The prints are fantastic. The artists are staring out at us through eyes that look so real. More real than from any digital photo. Many of them are very large, to the point where the artists are life-sized. Some of them are still alive -- Dylan, Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Neil Young, people like that. Others are dead. John Lennon, Bob Marley .....

The place is quiet, like a museum. I was just looking at the photos of Bob Marley, and feeling almost uncomfortable from the intensity of his gaze in these photos, when suddenly, my iPhone, in my pocket, starts playing music!

At first I don't know where the music is coming from. I look around for it, it's SO strange to suddenly have this music playing in here. And it's Nirvana, a slow dirge of a song called "Marigold".

I finally figure out it's my phone, and I pull it out and figure out what the hell it's doing and I shut it off. Having no earthly idea how it started playing music all by itself. And I say to my son something like "well if it had started playing Bob Marley I would be completely creeped out".

Then I turn around and there's this photo staring at me:

It's four feet tall. It's a real print, from the real negative.

My phone has never, before or since, started playing music spontaneously.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Ben D » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:20 am

82_28 wrote:I went to the wok

there was chicken there

But the sauce was spicy

so I boiled it

because I love chicken

and realized maybe it was

the sauce and not the chicken

but the chicken bocked bocked bocked

while the sauce just sizzled

I then realized the egg had yet to hatch

What would that mean to you, bro.

That you consider the chicken comes before the egg...

P.S. Hope you don't mind bro Ben D replying?
There is That which was not born, nor created, nor evolved. If it were not so, there would never be any refuge from being born, or created, or evolving. That is the end of suffering. That is God**.

** or Nirvana, Allah, Brahman, Tao, etc...
Ben D

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Hammer of Los » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Watch and listen closely. Don't believe you are going mad. It's the quickening, aint it. I know your egg has not hatched mr 8. If your egg had hatched you would be a wizard and your 8 would be toppled over to become the sign of infinity. Lying on its side, it would once again stand tall. It's a paradox. I like paradoxes. A parrot box. Without hinges. You numb skull. Maybe you should give up eating chicken and become vegetarian. You are a very compassionate man, mr 8. Think of those poor old chickens. Birds are wise and intelligent creatures. I cannot eat them at my vibration level or I would suffer harm. Perhaps you suffer harm from the eating of the chicken. Also spicy food damages the sensitivity of the organism. Avoid spicy food. Become sensitive. You are already sensitive to the synchronicities. The suggestion that I am god is too ludicrous to comment upon. But I do know His Holy Name.

Is that better or worse?

I am as straightforward as I can be.

The world itself is a vast array of living symbols which reflect the state of your consciousness in this present here and now. This world, the real world, can only be spoken of symbolically.

Perhaps its too subtle for you.

I don't mean to offend.

I love you dearly. Like I said elsewhere, I see a lot of myself in you.

:wink

refined

Lay off the birds!

Hammer of Los

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion