Jimmy Savile: I'd like to comment but I can't...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Jimmy Savile: I'd like to comment but I can't...

Postby Jeff » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Jeff
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Metric Pringle » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:48 pm

I took this screen grab from the documentary "the other side of Jimmy Saville"
Anyone recognise the pattern or type of clothing this is? My naive mind thinks masonic.
Could be a regular nightgown, but thought someone here may know either way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nHDZfSl36g
““The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting.”k.” - Charles Bukowski

Metric Pringle

Postby semper occultus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:58 pm

My Dad has a friend who was Savile's producer in the 70s. According to him Savile was a "horrible, horrible man" who "thought he could do what he wanted as long as he confessed it to a priest".

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=33163.msg1741670#msg1741670

CUR jimmy saVILE was a voluntary porter at the LGI, in the early 70's Meaning he had a pass key to the student nurses' dorm.
My ex wife (then fiancée), was a student nurse at the time and had lodgings in one of the student rooms there, which she shared with 3 other students.
HOW many times, did that perv saVILE "accidentally" use his keys to enter their room, at an hour when the girls would be in various states of undress. Not just their room, but almost EVERY room in the student quarters.
Going into the shower room at the end of the girls' shifts to "clean" - funny how he never went in there at times they were working - just when he knew he'd be able to perv on teenage girls in the showers.
Complaints were made about his behaviour frequently to the board of the LGI, but were hushed up or just ignored, cos of "who" he was.
The girls in my fiancées' room were realy getting scared of him, so one evening me and another of the girls' boyfriends sneaked into their room after the girls came off duty. He used his master key to "accidentally" walk in - and me and the lad were in his face. He went white and ran out. 2 mins later he was back with security to have me and the other lad thrown out. (No male friends allowed in student nurses rooms rule!)...
He warned the girls if owt was said, they would lose their jobs. He never went back to their room again, but continued doing the same thing in other student rooms.
Moving on 6 months...
Student nurses Xmas ball at Leeds Poly. I was one of the DJ's for the mobile disco they hired. Was a great evening with everyone having fun. In walks saVILE and wants to take over the turntables! He was told to fekk off in no uncertain terms.
So he goes on the dance floor. I was on the wheels at the time and one of the other dj's pointed to saVILE dancing close to my fiancée, who was a bit distressed with his attempts to dirty dance her. Mate took over and whilst I was walking towards them, I saw him grope her hard. She slapped his face, he slapped her and I went for him. I had him on the floor in a second and began beating the crap out of him. Now, I'm no fighter but I had the red mist and he was begging me to stop.
Luckily the two bouncers on duty were mates of mine and let me pummel him a good while, until I'd calmed down a bit. They finally pulled me off him and threw him out, giving him a few more kicks along the way. I walked back onstage to a round of applause.

SaVILE tried to bring assault charges against me and the bouncers but there were a LOT of witnesses who saw him grope my girlfriend and it was all hushed up.
Hushed up, like his attempted rape of another student nurse, who was only saved as an ambulance man happened to be in the vicinity and heard the lass scream. SaVILE laughed it off as "a bit of fun". Lass too scared to make a police statement. Again, all complaints were hushed over and ignored..."you can't accuse a saint like jimmy - he is working here for free", was the reply from the top.
My PERSONAL experience of the twot.
Then you have a mate of mine (yes, ok, not my personal experience - but I have heard this from his daughter's mouth), after the lass (8 at the time) was on Jim'llfix it, at the studios.
"When Daddy went to sign some papers, Jimmy was stroking my leg and was trying to touch my nickers"...
He admitted he held her leg to "comfort her as she was scared". She never actually did the show, as she didn't want to be near him.
Jimmy saVILE was a horrible and detestable pervert, which was glossed over as he was a media darling. Untouchable for those who he abused.
I am happy I got to kick the crap out of him.

http://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25096#p372562
semper occultus

Postby Skunkboy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:56 am

Something from Feed the moon's Blog.

http://feedthemoon.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... the-drone/

One of the big news stories here in the UK at the moment surrounds a recently-deceased kids TV Presenter – amidst much media brouhaha he has suddenly and ‘shockingly’ been exposed as a predatory career-paedophile. The biggest shock of this story, however, has been that other well-known celebrities, who all the time knew of his unfettered penchant for young girls, were so concerned about their own careers that, over a period of three decades, they neglected to expose him. One such celebrity, Esther Rantzen was the inspiration for and the very public face of Child-line, an abuse hotline for kids. –Thus it is becoming self-evident that in this tawdry world of surface sparkle, even acts that once seemed selfless are tarnished. I am constantly reminded of the quote from Terence McKenna:

Culture is not your friend .

Indeed. For as terrible and depressing as all this is, it is also very telling – it is merely one manifestation of the Predator-Culture that is endemic throughout and very probably essential to, what we are laughingly told is our civilised society.
Maybe McKenna’s words need a little tweak:

Civilisation is not your friend.

For this must be the lesson learnt, surely: that Civilisation is in and of itself, predatory. It relies upon war and plunder. Whether it be the great cathedrals to vain gods or the temples to mammon: they are all built upon the subjugation and misery of others. And the cakes and circuses that are utilised to dull the minds and shackle the spirits are now poisoning the very minds and bodies of the Citizens. It’s like a parody of the last days of Rome.

And talking of Rome, a few weeks back I was lucky to pay a visit to the wonderful self-proclaimed Eternal City.
Whilst I was, of course, amazed at the sheer size and grandeur of The Colloseum and the once-great Port of Ostia Attica, I was also equally amazed by the sheer scale of many of the American tourists who visited there.
Truly it seemed to me, there is a new race emerging: they are bloated, barely mobile manifestations of a culture that stuffs itself upon the modern-day plunder and subjugation of other cultures, and are truly a sight to behold. Trust me, they are a new breed of human, seemingly in the process of eating themselves to death; engorging themselves simply because they can.
It seems a perfect metaphor for the Predator Culture which their country so enthusiastically embraces.

At the beginning of Fellini’s La Dolce Vita there is an opening shot of a statue of Jesus Christ being airlifted over the great Italian City. Nowadays it would be more apt to shoot the sequence featuring a 20-stone American tourist being airlifted over Rome, the perhaps the soon-to-be only option left to them should they actually desire to go see the sites.

Of course, I am aware that these grossly overweight tourists are not representative of their nation’s citizens as a whole: Rather they are emblematic of something far greater: America’s slow and ugly descent into unfettered self-indulgence; and its inevitable soon-to-occur ultimate demise. They are merely perfect manifestations of the current Empire Supreme which has fed for so long upon the misery of half-the-world. The fact that airliners are now compelled to fix larger seats in order to accommodate this new breed of Super-Size-Me-Junk-Consumer is a mere symptom of a far wider problem (if you’ll pardon the pun). The Super Fatties are victims too: Victims of poisoned, non-nutritious, highly addictive foods. Victims too, of a society that is based purely upon consumption and acquisition. – Surely they are totems, portents of an Empire waddling into its final phase (whereupon, inevitably, the Great Parasite ultimately and fatally feeds upon itself).

And yet, millions of us are now belatedly realising that we don’t have to go down with the sinking-ship, we don’t have to embrace this predator culture – a culture in which creatures devoid of any semblance of empathy feed off the misery of ill-educated and otherwise forgotten people.
By way of illustration, take a look at this clip to remind yourself of the abhorrent nature and predatory instincts inherent in our so-called mainstream news.

Notice the way the so-called journalist’s only instinct is the opportunity for what she believes to be one of those Television Golden Moments; she is completely devoid of any empathy for the poor people who are already beside themselves with grief and worry. She was by all accounts completely wrong-footed by the Twitter-storm that engulfed her following this predatory interview. People were outraged that the child’s murder should be exploited in such a way. But this clip now exists as a perfect representation of the media predator.

–The beast is essentially a feeding thing. Oh yes, it has many faces, all of them human, and it has endearing manners as well. But those human graces are a camouflage born of necessity – they are the disguise that enables the beast to prevail
– Barbara E. Hort – Unholy Hungers (Encountering the Psychic Vampire in Ourselves and Others).

The culture of news media (from whence Kay Burley was spawned) regularly reinforces the notion of the feckless Underclass, reporting only upon their existence in relation to their burden upon our great and good society. As the system slowly collapses in upon itself, it is not the true instigators of the collapse – the financial robber-barons – who are being targeted by our fearless reporters, but the recipients of the Welfare State; gleefully depicted by the so-called journalists as a great drain upon our otherwise perfect society – and yet: when a child murder has been committed in their midst, Kay Burley and her media Predator Drones gleefully descend upon their housing estates, trampling all over their tiny gardens in the hope of the best grief-shot. If that’s not predatory, I don’t know what is.
It’s become so obvious now that millions are opting out of the Predator Culture.
The Myth of Civilisation is broken.
The age of the Predator is done, just like Jimmy Saville and the myth surrounding him is now done. He perhaps perfectly exemplified the false-projection of cultivated celebrity, the true tawdriness behind the bling and baubles.
And the lesson is this:
If we allow ourselves to be created and shaped by others, we cannot complain when they mold us according to their own predatory needs. The result of their moldings will inevitably be ugly, comic, and grotesque.
Our Civilisation is now filled with pale-imitators, predators and grotesques – and yet….
..It is also filled with brilliant, unique beings whose pure originality far exceeds the pouting, preening prima-donnas who regularly fill our screens.
It bears repeating over and over again that salvation cannot be found externally, salvation can only come from within.
As Thomas Szaz so rightly put it:
The Self is not something one finds, it is something one creates.
If every man helped his neighbor, no man would be without help.

-Bruce Lee
Skunkboy

Postby Hammer of Los » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:37 am

F**kin' Kay Burley.

Inhuman.

Hope she got the "human interest" angle she wanted.

Wrath still in mindstream.

Sadness too.

Thanks for your post Skunkboy.

Do you know the secret of Pareidolia?

Hammer of Los

Postby semper occultus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:56 am

....sociopath & psychic vampire....

My 32 years with Jimmy Savile: Disgraced star's PA brands him a manipulative bully who thought he was untouchable

Janet Cope told how the ­predatory paedophile had an explosive temper that terrified everyone from hospital staff to fundraisers

www.mirror.co.uk

Pervert: Bare-chested Savile and PA Janet in 1979

Jimmy Savile’s former PA last night branded the disgraced TV star a manipulative bully who was sly enough to cover his tracks during his sick campaign of abuse against young girls.

And Janet Cope told how the ­predatory paedophile had an explosive temper that terrified everyone from hospital staff to fundraisers.

The 70-year-old spent 32 years as Mrs Fix-it to Savile, becoming one of his closest confidantes.
Janet initially stuck by him when the allegations of his perverted past surfaced.
But as the trickle turned to a torrent, she conceded that even she may have been duped.
And she pointed to his explanation about why he avoided public speaking or appearing on quiz shows as evidence of the shrewdness that helped him get away with his vile antics.

Janet said: “He told me, ‘Never risk being caught out. Always ensure that you’re in total control of any ­situation’.
“Sadly, the evidence against Jim does seem a bit overwhelming and, really, I’m at a loss for words.”
But she also declared that if Savile were alive today he would have somehow “wriggled out of it”.

She added: “That’s what he did.

He thought he was untouchable because he was hand in glove with the hospitals, royalty and the Prime Minister.”

And Janet said her former boss, who walked her down the aisle at her wedding, was capable of fooling everyone from the top brass at the BBC to legions of star-struck fans.

She revealed he was totally without emotion, did not care if he hurt others and loved wielding power.

Janet told how he cruelly fired her without warning, despite her loyal years of cooking, cleaning and running his diary.

She admitted if the allegations against him were proven, she would be shocked, disappointed, saddened and, above all, surprised by his duplicity.

She said: “On the face of it, Jim led a celibate, nomadic and simple life which may have disguised a more sordid double life.
"I don’t know, but he was clever enough to believe he’d get away with it, and if he did, he fooled me and many others.

“He was always photographed with what he called dolly birds because he was terrified of growing old or being seen as old. Image was vital to him.

“He was like Peter Pan, forever surrounding himself with youngsters. It was his elixir.

"Every time he did an interview or a public appearance, I was there.
I even drove behind him when he was running marathons and fans were running to him for an autograph."

“He was a very, very clever man and if he could keep something like that covered up he was even more clever than I gave him credit for.
And it bothers me now because we rubbed along together for so many years, getting things done together.”

Flickers of Janet’s loyalty to Savile remain as she still has doubts over whether he would put his carefully-constructed public image at risk.
But she decided to reveal hidden dark aspects of the sex fiend’s life, as the Met Police investigate hundreds of lines of inquiry against him spanning 60 years.

Working from an office at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, where patients have since alleged they were abused, Janet was at Savile’s beck and call and said answering him back would have been “more than my life was worth”.

She said: “He was eccentric, ­manipulative, controlling. I was ­frightened to death of him and I wasn’t the only one.

"He loved the power he had over other people. Power was important to him. He didn’t care if he upset people. Jim had no feeling, no emotions at all.

He was a little bit distressed when his mother died but that was the only time I ever saw any emotion. Nothing could hurt him.”

Controlling: Savile sacked Janet in a heartless way

To illustrate his controlling ways, Janet told how Savile lit up a cigar in her newly-painted front room despite her asking him not to so the smell he knew she despised would linger.

He also kept an old school bell on his desk to get her attention. And she would have to ring her own, smaller, bell back to acknowledge him every time.

When she opened office windows to clear his smoke, he bellowed: “Close them, I say when the windows should be closed, no one else does.”
And if dinner was set for one time, he would turn up at another so he was in control of what others were doing.

And Janet revealed how she was humiliated when Savile publicly sacked her during a packed meeting with doctors and administrators at Stoke Mandeville in 2001, with two terse words.

As she sat at a table preparing to take notes, he blurted out: “She’s out.”
She recalled: “He said he was replacing me with a ­management team, but that never happened. It was just his excuse.” He told tearful Janet: “Today’s today, ­tomorrow’s tomorrow, I’ve got a train to catch.”

Janet, who at first accused Savile’s victims of being money grabbers, said she never saw him misbehave.

But she spoke of his terrible anger. She added: said: “He had such a temper that manifested itself in the end.

“He once asked me to write a letter firing someone from the Jimmy Savile Trust but as he was coming to the hospital the next day I suggested he do the firing himself, in person. He went ballistic.

“He hid behind people when he wanted to get ­something his own way.”

And the former PA told how he was wary of being invited to speak at Oxford and Cambridge Unions, for fear of being trapped by awkward questions.

Over the years Janet, of Aylesbury, Bucks, accompanied Savile “everywhere”, meeting other celebs and royalty including Prince Charles and Diana.

She went along to the PM’s country home Chequers for drinks and was taken into Broadmoor, where her boss had a set of keys and a house in the grounds, to watch the patients’ Christmas panto.
But after she was fired, their ­relationship turned sour. He paid her £1,500 ­compensation and the two never spoke again.

Janet said she will now be watching how the scandal unfolds.
But she added: “All this has tarnished the memories I have.

“But I am a woman who requires proof and until the proof is shown to me, I will always keep an open mind.”
semper occultus

Postby Jeff » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:34 am

Skunkboy wrote:Something from Feed the moon's Blog.

http://feedthemoon.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... the-drone/

Excellent read, thanks.

One of the big news stories here in the UK at the moment surrounds a recently-deceased kids TV Presenter – amidst much media brouhaha he has suddenly and ‘shockingly’ been exposed as a predatory career-paedophile. The biggest shock of this story, however, has been that other well-known celebrities, who all the time knew of his unfettered penchant for young girls, were so concerned about their own careers that, over a period of three decades, they neglected to expose him. One such celebrity, Esther Rantzen was the inspiration for and the very public face of Child-line, an abuse hotline for kids. –Thus it is becoming self-evident that in this tawdry world of surface sparkle, even acts that once seemed selfless are tarnished.

Esther Rantzen denies abuse campaigner’s claim that she told her of Jimmy Savile’s child abuse rumours!

October 17th, 2012 by Anna Howell.

After what has been one of the biggest cans of worms the TV industry has ever seen opened and emptied all over the media, Esther Rantzen has appeared on live TV to deny recent claims that she had hidden information regarding Jimmy Savile’s alleged child abuse for over 18 years!

We reported earlier this week how an abuse campaigner had come forward to say how she alerted the notorious child protector over 28 years ago when she learned of what Savile had been up to, but that nothing was ever done about it.

These claims rocked the TV world even more, and reports came out to say that Esther, the founder of infamous children’s charity, Childline, had been sacked from her post as Patron for the National Association for People Abused in Childhood , who had removed all mention of her, including photos, from their website with founder Peter Saunders stating: “In the light of her admission that she heard rumours about Savile but did nothing, I am going to ask the trustees if they feel she is an appropriate patron."

[Rantzen:] “Nobody in Childline believes that I would have for a moment covered up any allegations about a paedophile, of course I wouldn’t. I have spent 26 years trying to bring them to justice.

“Jimmy Savile successfully groomed the whole nation. I think there were individuals who were told the truth. I think there was a level when people shut things down. There was a level that people didn’t want to know this, didn’t want to hear this about someone they so admired.”

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/esth ... y-saville/

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby RocketMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:35 am

Metric Pringle wrote:Image

I took this screen grab from the documentary "the other side of Jimmy Saville"
Anyone recognise the pattern or type of clothing this is? My naive mind thinks masonic.
Could be a regular nightgown, but thought someone here may know either way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nHDZfSl36g

I was struck by how this photo reminded me of... something. And then it hit:

-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Hammer of Los » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:42 am

Sometimes I think Crowley was the anti christ and he's already been and gone.

I refute him.

Hammer of Los

Postby semper occultus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:21 am

..plenty of on-line speculation he was related to the prominent Leeds Savile family - staunch Royalists in the Civil War : although unofficially no direct relation

The Battle of Briggate
In 1643 during the Civil War, Leeds was the scene of a skirmish sometimes called the Battle of Briggate. Leeds was held by the Royalists under Sir William Savile

Discovering Leeds

..interesting family...check out the Owls on the crest....

First borough charter
Leeds was subinfeudated - along with much other land in Yorkshire, by the de Lacy family to the Paynel family

...weirdly enough...

Edward John Louis Paisnel (1925 – 1994), dubbed the Beast of Jersey, was a notorious sex offender who terrorised the Channel Island of Jersey for a period of eleven years from 1960.

...what else is there in W Yorks....whoooaa...
semper occultus

Postby brainpanhandler » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:57 am

What does Jimmy Savile mean?
by Dan Hind

The leader of the opposition Ed Miliband has called for a full inquiry into Savile's criminal career. He is right to say that the BBC cannot be left to investigate itself. The same is true of the Department for Health and the island of Jersey, where Savile is believed to have abused a number of children on visits to the Haut de la Garenne children's home. Justice Secretary Chris Grayling has said that "it's right and proper that the police investigate all allegations". But the British police cannot investigate allegations about crimes committed in Jersey, given its strange constitutional status. A full and independent commission of inquiry is needed. If it leads to reform of Jersey, incidentally one of the world's most significant tax havens, then that can only be for the good.

What are the odds of this "full and independent commission of inquiry" coming about? Not what will it likely do, but just will it even be brought into existence? And what's up with the "strange constitutional status" of the island of Jersey?

Savile was clearly a skillful manipulator. But it is time we learnt how he could live out his grotesque fantasies on the national stage for so long, how he ever became possible. He was a friend and confidant of at least one member of the Royal Family and at least one Prime Minister. As such he would have attracted the attention of some of the sharpest minds in the permanent administration. A full inquiry must now establish what, if anything, the police, the security services and the political class knew about him and his crimes during his lifetime. Did they really know less than the staff at Stoke Mandeville? Less than Savile's countless victims?

Fat chance of that.

There are other questions that only a full and independent inquiry can answer. What does Savile tell us about the country where he flourished for so long? What does he tell us about those responsible for the integrity of its governing institutions? Just what exactly does Jimmy Savile mean?

Let's hope an independent inquiry would spend a lot more time discovering who knew what when and next to no time making culture wide criticisms, though lord knows that needs to happen too. That's quite enough to hope.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... 00580.html
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:38 pm

James Wilson Savile was born on Hallowe'en, 1926

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/feature ... avile.html

I wonder what being born on halloween might do to someone. Or being told you should have died at edit:5 months but were saved because your mother prayed for you and then surviving an explosion in a coal mine that should have killed you or at least hobbled you for the rest of your life. He ran marathons for god's sake. He must have believed himself invincible, untouchable. Destined for something. And he could be psychopathically devoid of emotion by the accounts of his victims. What dark secrets about Savile's childhood are buried in the past. I've not found much out about his childhood. I'm guessing he didn't talk about it much. I wonder if any of his siblings or anyone who knew him as a child wil come forward with information about his childhood.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:26 pm

When Jimmy Savile died, I reproached his obituarists for their cover-up of his faith.
Now I have to ask: what was he thinking of during daily Mass?

Was he simply torn between good and evil? Or was it worse: did he do good so that evil might come of it?

By William Oddie on Monday, 15 October 2012

What was going through his mind as he sat there, having slipped quietly into the back of Leeds cathedral, during those daily Masses? Was he praying for strength to resist his sexual compulsion? What did he tell his confessor? A psychologist, asked this question in one of the endless series of radio discussions about this horrible story last week, replied “probably he told him nothing: these people have an almost endless capacity to convince themselves that they have done nothing wrong”.

I remain confused about all this. Which was it: was he simply and damnably an evil man, who did good in order that the opportunity for evil might come from it? I pray that that was not the source of all the undoubted good he really did do; I really hope that he was a man torn between good and evil whose faith in the end brought him true penitence. I note that most of the cases now emerging date back to the 70s and earlier: does that mean that towards the end of his life he had changed his behaviour? I simply don’t know. Does anyone?

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/comment ... aily-mass/

From the comments:

jonathon west wrote:I note that most of the cases now emerging date back to the 70s and earlier: does that mean that towards the end of his life he had changed his behaviour?
Unfortunately not - it seems that he was at it right up to a few days before he died.

Is that true?

Also from the comments:

Farrow Caroline wrote:I blogged about this, before the full extent of the revelations were revealed. I still don't believe that it is helpful to pathologise sexual abusers, in that all of us have the capacity for great good and great evil although rarely do most of us fall on one, let alone both of the extreme ends of the spectrum.

I am of the opinion that Savile did not genuinely believe that he was an abuser, it's likely that his sexuality was so bent out of shape, that he simply could not perceive that his behaviour was unacceptable and constituted rape or assault. There was a story in yesterday's press about his older brother being similarly accused, which makes one wonder about their upbringing or family dynamics.

Although no excuse, I also firmly believe that the era played a great role, his pattern of abuse fits into the timescale of abuse that went on in the Catholic church. Sexual taboos broke down as society became ever more libertine. Women were encouraged to become sexually active and available ever-earlier and Savile was well placed to take advantage of the arrival of the teenager in the 50s, at a time when he would have been in his late 20s.

What is clear however, is that he obviously felt that his behaviour was sanctioned and justified, someone with a crushing sense of guilt or remorse would not have openly alluded to it, as he did in his autobiography. Perhaps his boundaries were blurred, perhaps he never grew up?

None of that is to excuse any of his alleged depravity (I say alleged because natural justice demands that the accused has a chance to defend themselves), all of us have been horrified, the accusations seem increasingly extraordinary, but if we pathologise him as a monster, then it also demeans us in turn.

Savile was human and obviously extremely flawed, that doesn't mean he wasn't capable of great good. Was his altruism self-serving? He didn't need to give 90% of his income away to be able to gain trust and access to children, his celebrity status and fund-raising was enough. When we turn people into monsters we lose the opportunity to gain vital insight into the psyche of others and we also de-humanise. Most sexual offenders are not like Jimmy Savile, they don't have signature gimmicks, catchphrases and slightly odd taste in garish tracksuits or eccentric habits.

By demonising him we reassure ourselves that these heinous acts are committed by one-off individuals who stand out in some way. History tells us that this is not the case. Most sexual abuse is committed by so called normal individuals, often married men, sometimes women and pillars of the community
, the tragic case of April Jones is a case in point.

As for your original piece, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

But what if he really was just an evil mother fucker?
brainpanhandler

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:38 pm

"Demonizing" Savile makes it sound like there was some kind of effort on our part, and I resent it.

He did it to himself, one act of evil at a time. While I am very open to the Solzhenitsyn Theorem that evil runs through all human hearts, I'm also very aware of the Andew Vachss Corrolary, which is that predators often work in packs. My capacity for violence and hate doesn't make me equivalent to the people who were, for instance, involved in the Dutroux networks.

There is literally only one "vital insight into the psyche" of men and women like that which is of any value -- how to identify them and how remove them from the general population. Beyond that?
Wombaticus Rex

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion