THE INMATES ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

THE INMATES ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM

Postby fruhmenschen » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:46 pm

Your taxes pay for the criminal justice system which makes you the owner.
Yet you have no say in how it is run!
Why?

a species that fires bodyguards to protect it looses the ability to protect itself and is doomed to extinction

see link for full story

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/1 ... 75273.html

Shane Bauer, American Hiker, Reveals Iran Imprisonment Details

10/18/2012

An American freelance journalist who spent more than two years in an Iranian prison said he can relate to inmates in U.S. prisons who face indefinite solitary confinement without hope of reconnecting with other human beings because he's been through it.

Shane Bauer, one of three Americans detained in 2009 while hiking near the ill-defined Iranian border in Iraq's Kurdish region, wrote in Thursday's Mother Jones magazine of his visit to the solitary confinement unit at California’s Pelican Bay State Prison. In the first major article he has written since he and friend Josh Fattal were released last year from Iran's Evin Prison, Bauer related similarities between the Iranian and California lockups.

"They are criminals; I was a hostage. They are spending many years in solitary; I did four months," he wrote. "But still, I can’t escape the fact that their desperate words sound like the ones that ricocheted through my own head when I was inside."

Bauer, Fattal and Sarah Shourd were accused of spying by the Iranians. The two men would be sentenced to eight years in prison, but not before Shourd was released in September 2010 on what the Iranians called "humanitarian grounds." By then, she had spent her entire 410 days in captivity separated from the men in solitary confinement. Seven months later, she told The Huffington Post that she suffered from PTSD that she attributed in part to her isolation.

In a video accompanying his article, Bauer said the time they spent in solitary was "the worst experience of all of our lives."

Although the three hostages held a news conference upon being reunited in September 2011, they have kept a low profile over the last year and have turned down most media requests for interviews.

Only in May did they make headlines when Bauer married Shourd -- whom he proposed to in prison -- in a private ceremony that was reported afterward.

The article in Mother Jones, where Bauer was a contributor before his ill-fated hike, is the first detailed description of the three friends' ordeal. But the focus is on Pelican Bay's Security Housing Unit (SHU, pronounced "shoe"), where 94 percent of prisoners are warehoused in solitary with little chance of getting out.

In 2005, the last year the federal government released data, more than 80,000 people were in solitary confinement in U.S. prisons -- at least 11,730 of them in California. Bauer cites studies that find those subjected to prolonged isolation show "psychosis-like symptoms." And while he is hardly the first to equate solitary confinement to torture or even the first to focus on the "cruel and degrading" conditions inside California isolation units or even to tour Pelican Bay, his first-hand experience in Iran offers a perspective few share.

Bauer wrote that he reviewed medical research about the effects of isolation. "I remember the violent fantasies that sometimes seized my mind so fully that not even meditation -- with which I luckily had a modicum of experience before I was jailed -- would chase them away," he wrote. "Was the uncontrollable banging on my cell door, the pounding of my fists into my mattress, just a common symptom of isolation? I wonder what happens when someone with a history of violence is seized by such uncontrollable rage."

Bauer is seen in a video nervously driving toward the supermax prison and later standing in an inmate's tiny quarters:
fruhmenschen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: THE INMATES ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM

Postby fruhmenschen » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:23 pm

see link for full story
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/21932 ... ting-range

Sheriff shot by fellow officer at shooting range
8:02 PM, Oct 20, 2012

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - A Maine sheriff says his body armor protected him when he was stuck in the back by a bullet from a fellow officer's gun at a firing range.

Kennebec County Sheriff Randall Liberty said he's nursing a welt and bruises after being shot Thursday at a shooting range where deputies were conducting firearm qualifications.

Liberty, who is a retired Army master sergeant, served in Iraq and told the Kennebec Journal that "I made it out of Fallujah and I
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:18 pm

FBI agent shoots himself with a gun during a demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFiXuw7LnBQ
fruhmenschen

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:59 pm

You mean on RI? Not quite yet.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby fruhmenschen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Op-Ed: Spain to ban photos or videos of police in action
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/3 ... z2A0rPcgzE
Anne
By Anne Sewell
Oct 19, 2012 in World
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:26 pm

October 19, 2012
http://www.policeone.com/legal/articles ... ffic-stop/

Video: NJ lawmaker sues patrolman over traffic stop
Officer says the legislator cut him off near a Chick-fil-A restaurant
inShare0

By Edward Colimore
The Philadelphia Inquirer

PHILADELPHIA — A Gloucester County assemblyman charged with drunken driving after declining to take a breath test over the summer has filed a 27-count criminal complaint against the arresting patrolman, accusing him of lying and falsifying a police report.
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 am

DEA mum on agent's loaded gun left in airport bathroom
By Dane Schiller | Tuesday, October 23, 2012

see link for full story
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 975973.php

The loaded .45-caliber Glock handgun left in a crowded Denver International Airport restroom belonged to a Drug Enforcement Administration agent based in Houston, according to records obtained Tuesday.

The gun, with one round in the chamber and 10 in the magazine, was found by a traveler last week on the back of a toilet seat beyond Transportation Security Administration checkpoints, according to a Denver police report.

It was later returned to the agent, who was traveling on Southwest Airlines from Denver to Houston.

The DEA has stayed mum on the gun, declining to confirm the agency's ties to the incident.
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:16 pm

2 reads

1st read
http://www.citizensjustice.com/articles ... ile-female

Driving While Female - Citizens Justice
www.citizensjustice.com/articles/driving-while-female
Driving While Female. Many women will no longer stop when directed by a police officer to pull over. Some will call 911 and ask for additional police to come to

2nd read

see link for full story
http://www.mydesert.com/viewart/2012102 ... |Frontpage

Former Border Patrol officer gets prison time for sexual assault
Oct 23, 2012 |

INDIO — A former U.S. Border Patrol officer today admitted sexually assaulting a Mexican citizen in front of her two young children in Cathedral City and was immediately sentenced to eight years in prison.

Luis Edward Hermosillo, 45, pleaded guilty to sexual penetration by threatening to use the authority of a public official and kidnapping.

In exchange for his plea, Riverside County Superior Court Judge William S. Lebov dismissed counts of kidnapping to commit a sexual assault and sexual penetration, according to court records. The woman was traveling on a tourist visa with her 2- and 5-year-old children in her car on June 13, 2009, when she was targeted by Hermosillo, who worked out of the Border Patrol office in the Indio area.

“The victim felt it was strange the Border Patrol Officer wanted her to drive to the end of the road ... to stop, but she did what she was told,” Farwell wrote.

Once off the highway, Hermosillo, a married Indio resident, used a dog to inspect the woman’s trunk. When she got out of her car, the officer groped the woman and penetrated her with his finger. The woman’s 5-year-old daughter got out of the car, said she wanted to leave and pulled her mother back toward the vehicle, according to Farwell.
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:33 pm

NYPD officer charged in plot to kidnap, cook and eat 100 women
SEE LINK FOR FULL STORY

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/1 ... lot_t.html

NEW YORK — A city police officer was charged today in a ghoulish plot to kidnap and torture women and then cook and eat their body parts.

Gilberto Valle sent numerous e-mails and other Internet communications about the torture and cannibalism scheme, according to a criminal complaint. He identified and cataloged at least 100 women on his computer, investigators said, but there was no information that anyone was harmed.

"I was thinking of tying her body onto some kind of apparatus ... cook her over low heat, keep her alive as long as possible," Valle allegedly wrote in one exchange in July, the complaint says.

In other online conversations, investigators said, Valle talked about the mechanics of fitting a woman's body into an oven (her legs would have to be bent), said he could make chloroform at home to knock a woman out and discussed how "tasty" one woman looked.

"Her days are numbered," he wrote, according to the complaint.
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:10 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/s ... -1.1195644

South Carolina cop allegedly shot estranged wife, authorities are hot on the trail
Winnsboro, S.C., police officer Michael Roseboro, 43, is accused of shooting his estranged wife from his patrol car as she stood on the sidewalk in front of their children last week, local police said.
By Michael Walsh / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, November 1, 2012, 8:53 PM
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Courthouse News Service
Monday, November 05, 2012Last Update: 8:40 AM PT

see link for full story
http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/11/05/51969.htm

Cops Blow Whistle on Chicago Police
By JACK BOUBOUSHIAN

CHICAGO (CN) - Chicago police retaliated against two officers who helped the FBI investigate police misconduct, warning them they risked "coming home in a box because the team won't help you on the street," the officers claim in Federal Court.
Shannon Spalding and Daniel Echeverria sued Chicago, its Police Chief Juan Rivera, Deputy Chief Debra Kirby and 10 other officers, including commanders and lieutenants.
Spalding and Echeverria say they both have exemplary records and have received numerous commendations.
"In 2006, while working an undercover narcotics investigation, plaintiffs uncovered evidence of illegal activity being committed by various Chicago police officers.
"One of those officers was Sergeant Ronald Watts, who they had witnessed robbing drug couriers and manufacturing a case against at least one confidential informant," the complaint states.
"Plaintiffs notified their superior Sergeant Roderick Watson of the criminal conduct in accordance with their duty to do so as found in their General Orders. Sergeant Watson told plaintiffs that 'we're not going to go there.'
"No one at the Chicago Police Department opened an investigation of Sergeant Watts or others pursuant to plaintiffs' notification," the officers say.
Neither Watts nor Watson are parties to the complaint.
Spalding and Echeverria say that when Chicago Police refused to investigate Watts, they contacted the FBI.
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:26 am

see link for full story
http://portland.thephoenix.com/news/144 ... come-home/

Whistle-blower asks to come home
Exiles’ Return
By LANCE TAPLEY | September 26, 2012

In 2011 reform-minded Commissioner Joseph Ponte of the Maine Department of Corrections set up a formal process — apparently, rare in the United States — for prisoners transferred to out-of-state prison systems to apply to come home.

Now, Deane Brown, 48, the prisoner who blew the whistle in 2005 on the Maine State Prison's abusive long-term solitary confinement of inmates in its "supermax" unit, has applied to return from the New Jersey State Prison in Trenton.

His inside information — and his organizing of other prisoners to speak out — launched the Phoenix's long-running series on prisoner mistreatment and contributed to the nation's rethinking of widespread prisoner isolation, a practice medical experts, human-rights groups, and the United Nations increasingly call a form of torture.

As Brown's recompense, Maine transferred him in 2006, in a prisoner exchange, to Maryland's supermax. In Brown's court battle to return to Maine, which he lost, prison officials admitted his contacts with the press were a reason he was sent away.

Brown spent almost three years in isolation cells in Maryland prisons. He was transferred in 2010 to the New Jersey prison's supermax, where he spent four months before being released into its general population after a volunteer New Jersey prisoner-rights attorney, Jean Ross, began representing him.

Brown wrote to Ponte in August:

"I receive no rehabilitation in New Jersey, and the conditions here are very bad. Because of the bad medical care, my health and even my life are at risk. I need to return to Maine, where I still have people in the community who know me and have helped me in the past. I do not have a history of violence, and I would not present any problem to the Maine prison system."

In a given month around 20 Maine prisoners are outside the state. The reasons Corrections gives for sending prisoners away vary from a penchant for violence to protection from violence. Some inmates ask to be transferred to be nearer family members.
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:18 pm

see link for full story
http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/articl ... 036373.php

Jail nurses arrested for stealing inmate drugs

Updated 5:40 a.m., Wednesday, November 14, 2012

inShare

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Investigators say two nurses at a California jail have been arrested for stealing prescription drugs intended for the medical care of inmates.

The San Jose Mercury News (http://bit.ly/TYGH7Z) says 50-year-old Elmer Alegado and 54-year-old Rodolfo Idian were working at the Santa Clara County Jail when the drugs were pilfered.
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:17 pm

a species that hires bodyguards to protect it looses the ability to protect itself and is doomed to extinction

see link for full story
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Cop ... 044265.php

Cop, wife charged in elder abuse case
Henry K. Lee
Friday, November 16, 2012

A former Pinole police commander and his wife have been charged with defrauding an 82-year-old Pleasanton woman by placing her entire estate into a trust they controlled, authorities said Friday.

Matthew Messier, 36, of Pleasanton is accused of using his position as a commander at the Pinole Police Department to gain the trust of his neighbor, Jean Phyllis Jones, who is described in court records as having "diminished mental capacity" and an inability to make financial decisions.
fruhmenschen

Postby fruhmenschen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Sun, 18 Nov 2012
see link for full story

http://news.feedzilla.com/en_all/storie ... =json&sb=1

Entire police team sacked for playing poker while on duty
Sun Nov 18 2012, 22:03 hrs

The entire team of police officers in a south-east London neighbourhood has been axed after a probe found they had been playing poker and cleaning golf clubs while on duty.

Seven officers resigned or were dismissed from Bromley's Safer Neighbourhood Team in the Mottingham and Chislehurst North ward.

It followed an undercover operation by the Metropolitan Police's Directorate of Professional Standards in 2010.

Disciplinary proceedings concluded on October 23.

One sergeant and a Police Constable were sacked after the Met's disciplinary panel found them guilty of gross misconduct, the BBC reported today.

Another Constable and three of the team's community support officers resigned, while a fourth was dismissed.

In a statement, the Met said: "The disciplinary panel heard evidence that officers from the team had played backgammon and poker whilst on duty, watched TV in the office, frequently failed to go out on patrol, had not worked full tours of duty and also claimed overtime that had not been worked.

"In addition, one officer had gone out for runs during the working day whilst a further officer cleaned his golf clubs in the office.

"These activities appear to have taken place at the expense of policing duties, such as patrolling the local area."

Neighbourhood teams were introduced by the Met in 2004 and were subsequently rolled out across the country.

Commander Allan Gibson, head of the Metropolitan Police Service's (MPS) Directorate of Professional Standards, said: "These officers let the whole of the service down with their behaviour; but more importantly they let down their local community.
fruhmenschen

Next

Return to Data & Research Compilations