Greatest RI Movie Ever: The Rules.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Greatest RI Movie Ever: The Rules.

Postby Canadian_watcher » Sat May 21, 2011 4:19 am

And here we are again eh, Willow & Barracuda? Bringing "it" into every other thread on the board. :roll:
edit: I hope no one took that the wrong way!! :D
Last edited by Canadian_watcher on Sat May 21, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Sat May 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Consul: nice!

Project Willow wrote:Hey Jack,
I'd like to know if you notice anyone treating you differently because of your new avatar.
BTW, you look real cute honey. :wink:

It's actually the other way around. Someone called me "she," doubtless a typo, but I took it as a sign from on high of what to do next.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby brekin » Sat May 21, 2011 2:04 pm

Everybody the culture wars are closed for the weekend.
Nothing any of us post can compete with a walk in the
summer sunshine. Have a good weekend.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat May 21, 2011 7:29 pm

brekin wrote:Everybody the culture wars are closed for the weekend.
Nothing any of us post can compete with a walk in the
summer sunshine. Have a good weekend.

I wish they were, but in my part of the world someone broke the cease fire. Don't let their foolishness infect you.

In that spirit:

Joe Hillshoist

Postby Rory » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:22 am

JackRiddler wrote:
Project Willow wrote:Thanks justdrew. I was thinking of high school and negative set-ups and after being at a party all night I just couldn't see through the fog. :partyhat Sorry that it felt exclusionary to some folks. But really jack, after you went off to work you let this one die. :hrumph

Coming soon, I'm pretty sure:

Dogtooth II: The Essay

Hey, Jack: Did you ever coalesce your thoughts regarding this film? I read through this thread and saw that you provoked and nurtured the discussion but didn't state your own thoughts/interpretations!

I would be very intrigued to see them written here, if you have the time to do so
Rory

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Rory wrote:Hey, Jack: Did you ever coalesce your thoughts regarding this film? I read through this thread and saw that you provoked and nurtured the discussion but didn't state your own thoughts/interpretations!

I would be very intrigued to see them written here, if you have the time to do so

Damn, just the other day (after hearing there was a new film by this director), I feared someone might remember this.

They were coalesced... just not written!

Then, I was hit on the head with a VCR!

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Sun May 19, 2019 4:29 pm

Project Willow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:33 pm wrote:
Dogtooth was a surprising, lovely, subtle little film that explored a nearly absolute system of control. Among its strengths is that it is possible to read the film literally, that such a family exists or has existed, and it is also possible to interpret the story as a metaphorical exploration of broader and more familiar systems of control.

I liked that its ending was indeterminate, I'd rather not know whether Bruce got out of the trunk, that's where I get to let my imagination wander or my experience play over what the filmmaker might have had in mind. The climax of the film... spoiler warning here... when she removes her dogtooth, to my mind, was quite perfect, in terms of the story arch and what I interpreted to be the act's most obvious motivation. It comes after she has been assigned the task of sexually servicing her brother. Despite all the control in place, there is some central part of her being that then rebels. What's even more powerful is that while she rebels it is evident that she probably couldn't identify or articulate why. This is a profound testament to the human spirit, that there exists at some non-verbal, base level an instinct to be inviolate.

But here I am only attempting, and rather weakly, to put voice to essential plot nodes or generalities, as I see them.

I can imagine how the film might be a potent metaphor for the types of control many people experience as part of living in this age and in this culture. I would enjoy a discussion of those parallels, but I couldn't contribute very much to it. Since I have experienced more direct and overt forms of control in my life, it was more natural and satisfying to me to interpret the film in a literal sense, as if I were watching a documentary about an abusive family.

Anyway, I would wager one major commonality we share here is the waste of our intellectual and creative gifts during the hours, days, months, and years we're forced to perform various unrelated, tedious, and unsatisfying labors in pursuit of economic subsistence. On that note, I wish you a very tolerable Wednesday.

Miss you, Willow!

JackRiddler

Postby kelley » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:14 am

saw 'Dogtooth' this week

it's still registering

quickly: thematically similar to 'The Favourite' yet way more uh um abstract

:lol: :lol: :lol:

and beautifully shot

the frame-by-frame construction is tremendous
kelley

Postby kelley » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:32 am

and quickly again

although it's been a long long time since i've thought this over directly Walter Benjamin's theory of language has become a focus again of late

and particularly his conception of mimesis

[ if i remember correctly Benjamin's preoccupation with this topic arose from his dissertation on the representation of tragedy in baroque German drama

and how in modern times the immediate struggle for political power (in materialist if not purely Marxist terms) had come to displace questions of judgement and redemption as forming the foundation of Christian doctrine ]

Benjamin wrote three essays in the early thirties in which he worked to describe how mimesis functions viz nature's irreducible copies of itself

and how humankind in its unique linguistic capacity superseded the ability of nature to form such copies

[ this is also from where the notion of 'allegory' i mentioned in the other film thread proceeds ]

as much of Benjamin's work on these topics was fragmentary or incomplete and in constant revision it remains difficult to parse

but the ideas are remarkably solid and of much greater depth than his more popular reflections on art, aura, photography, film, and technical reproducibilty

i'll have to go back into this during my summer
kelley

Previous

Return to General Discussion