One Billion Rising

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

One Billion Rising

Postby Project Willow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:33 pm

http://onebillionrising.org/

ONE IN THREE WOMEN ON THE PLANET WILL BE RAPED OR BEATEN IN HER LIFETIME.*

ONE BILLION WOMEN VIOLATED IS AN ATROCITY

ONE BILLION WOMEN DANCING IS A REVOLUTION

On V-Day’s 15th Anniversary, 14 February 2013, we are inviting ONE BILLION women and those who love them to WALK OUT, DANCE, RISE UP, and DEMAND an end to this violence. ONE BILLION RISING will move the earth, activating women and men across every country. V-Day wants the world to see our collective strength, our numbers, our solidarity across borders.

What does ONE BILLION look like? On 14 February 2013, it will look like a REVOLUTION.

ONE BILLION RISING IS:

A global strike
An invitation to dance
A call to men and women to refuse to participate in the status quo until rape and rape culture ends
An act of solidarity, demonstrating to women the commonality of their struggles and their power in numbers
A refusal to accept violence against women and girls as a given
A new time and a new way of being
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: One Billion Rising

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:35 pm

That short film brought the tears. All I can say is it's about time! :yay :lovehearts:
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Project Willow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:34 pm

^ Same here!

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/2/14/one_billion_rising_playwright_eve_ensler

People around the world are rising up today and taking to the streets to dance. Their actions are part of a global movement in more than 200 countries to end rape and sexual violence against women called “One Billion Rising,” launched by playwright Eve Ensler, creator of “The Vagina Monologues.” We speak to Ensler in the Democratic Republic of the Congo where she is helping survivors of gender violence. We also air a video of the acclaimed musician Anoushka Shankar, the daughter of Ravi Shankar, who reveals she was sexually abused as a child. [Transcript to come. Check back soon.]
Project Willow

Postby NeonLX » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm

:thumbsup
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:29 pm

We didn't realize we'd planned our HSBC event for the same time, but hey, it's a big city. (It went very well, thank you, pics to follow in the appropriate thread.)

So I'm missing most of these in the city (like the march at Times Square) but hoping to make it to the big event tonight at the Hammerstein Ballroom. But only found out about it a couple of hours ago.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Project Willow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:09 am

It was a smallish crowd here, a few hundred people. I think organizers may have erred by placing their "stage" below the built-in risers at Westlake, which when animated can attract passers-by.

There was press present, and far too many video cameras. Some of my parts CANNOT dance, especially the brainy one who dominated tonight. At least I tried. It was great fun, and empowering. All the performers were wonderful, and I always love the Raging Grannies.

Project Willow

One Billion Rising

Postby Allegro » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:48 am

Watch. Listen. Feel. I love this!

^ One Billion Rising flash mob | San Francisco

YOUTUBE NOTES Published on Feb 11, 2013 | Strike Dance Rise for One Billion Rising on Feb. 14th 2013 wherever you are to stop Violence against women and girls.

. Dance Flash Mob directed and produced by Magalie Bonneau-Marcil.
. Video co-produced and directed by Magalie Bonneau-Marcil and Benedict Flanigan.
. Edited by Gail Mallimson.
. “Break the Chain” song by Tena Clark.
. “Break the Chain” choreography by Debbie Allen.
. “Adam” choreography by Tina Banchero.
. “Adam” song by Me’Shell Ndegéocello.
. Taiko drummers by Bruce Ghent/Maikaze Daiko and Dance Brigade.
. Hip Hop by Grrrl Brigade.

^ It’s V-Day. We are RISING. Eve’s Message to You.

^ One Billion Rising in Seattle

^ One Billion Rising in Kalighat, Kolkata, India | FROM YOUTUBE NOTES. The following dance is choreographed and performed by the children of New Light, an NGO working in the red light area of Kalighat, Kolkata, India. The video is conceptualized by Urmi Basu, founder and director New Light, shot by Mrinmoy Mondal and edited and directed by filmmakers Rajdeep Paul and Sarmistha Maiti.

DISCO IS ALIVE :bigsmile
Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist

Blog: View Blog (144)

Return to General Discussion