9th grade student “Cress + WiFi” experiment

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

9th grade student “Cress + WiFi” experiment

Postby coffin_dodger » Wed May 22, 2013 8:57 am

Foreign researchers are extremely excited for a biology project from five 9th grade girls.

Researchers from England, Holland and Sweden have shown great interest in the five girls’ biology experiments.

Take 400 Cress seeds and place them into 12 trays. Then place six trays in two rooms at the same temperature. Give them the same amount of water and sun over 12 days, and remember to expose half of them to mobile [Wi-Fi] radiation.

It is a recipe for a biology test so brilliant that it has attracted international attention among acknowledged biologists and radiation experts. Behind the experiment are five girls from 9b in Hjallerup School in North Jutland, and it all started because they found it difficult to concentrate during the school day:

Six trays of seeds were put into a room without radiation, and six trays were put into another room next to two [Wi-Fi] routers. Such routers broadcast the same type of radiation as an ordinary mobile.

Then it was just necessary to wait 12 days, observe, measure, weigh and take pictures along the way. And the result spoke was clear: cress seeds next to the router did not grow, and some of them were even mutated or dead

more: http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/9th-grade-student-cress-wifi-experiment-attracts-international-attention/

I have tinnitus which I've always considered attributing to sitting next to a wi-fi router for 5+ years.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Re: 9th grade student “Cress + WiFi” experiment

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed May 22, 2013 9:39 am

thanks coffin_dodger

The Effects of Gamma Radiation on Plants
Submitted by Anonymous on Sat, 2011-06-04 14:52 Berkeley Radiological Air and Water Monitoring Forum
Gamma rays are a high-energy form of electromagnetic radiation.
Gamma rays are photons of electromagnetic radiation emitted from unstable nuclei like those formed during nuclear fission. Their wavelengths are typically less than 10 ^ -12 meters, and their frequencies usually exceed 10 ^ 20 Hertz; consequently, they have sufficient energy to eject electrons from atoms and cause damage to tissues in living organisms. At high doses, gamma rays can harm plant life.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7549339_effect ... lants.html

Mortality
If doses are high enough, irradiation with gamma rays may be sufficient to kill most or even all of the plant species in a community. An Oak Ridge National Laboratory paper in 1995, for example, cited previous work studying past radiation releases in the Soviet Union like the Chernobyl disaster. Doses of radiation exceeding 500 rads (a unit measuring radiation and equivalent to 10 milliGray) per day completely killed off plants, even those that had higher tolerance levels. Doses of 10,000 rads per year caused complete destruction of exposed ecosystems and their plant inhabitants. Some species were more sensitive than others; pine trees, for example, fell victim to doses as low as 5 to 10 rads per day according to the report.

Abnormalities
Lower doses of radiation do not kill plants but can induce a range of abnormalities. Withered crowns, underdeveloped or misshapen leaves and unusual growth patterns such as gigantism -- excessive height and over-rapid growth -- characterize plants exposed to intermediate doses of gamma rays. When doses are sufficient to kill many of the existing plants, subsequent recovery may be slow.

Seeds
Seeds exposed to high levels of radiation will not germinate. Seeds exposed to intermediate levels of radiation may actually exhibit higher growth rates at first, although the percentage of seeds that germinate decreases as the radiation dose increases. The gamma rays induce DNA damage and the higher the dose, the more damage to the plant's DNA they cause. Different plants may exhibit different tolerance levels; some seeds and seedlings can survive higher doses than others.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby NeonLX » Wed May 22, 2013 9:45 am

I always wondered what's happening to our biology with all of the wi-fi, cellphone, scan systems, etc. that are clogging up the environment. Yeah, I know that puts me in the tinfoil hat category but hey...what if?
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Elvis » Wed May 22, 2013 10:40 pm

coffin_dodger wrote:
Foreign researchers are extremely excited for a biology project from five 9th grade girls.

Hilarious---shocking, actually---that 9th-graders devised this experiment apparently for the first time. Or was the experiment done years ago by "real scientists" and the results deep-sixed? I can just as easily believe that no one bothered until now.

Fascinating results, though. I hope those students, and other curious people, will carry the research further. For instance, on the original question: does wifi really interfere with mental concentration?

NeonLX wrote:I always wondered what's happening to our biology with all of the wi-fi, cellphone, scan systems, etc. that are clogging up the environment. Yeah, I know that puts me in the tinfoil hat category but hey...what if?

Yes, what if? Everything seems to be based on cycles---frequencies, waves, vibrations, overtones, undertones, modulations, etc. etc. When two musical notes (two given audio frequencies) play together, higher-frequency harmonics are produced; the overtones might be pleasing and harmonious or they might be upsetting, clashing in dissonance. Colors have their own wavelengths and are defined by how fast a piece of tungsten vibrates at certain temperature, making it glow. Radio signals operate the same way, ever play around with a CB radio and hear the audio tones produced by clashing radio waves? Going lower, we get into brain waves, "alpha waves," "beta waves" etc., related to mood and consciousness. (All this is just our little slice of a spectrum that extends who knows how far?)

So, when two or more frequencies combine, some kind of new signals will result. Some waves alone are lethal, but it also seems possible that haphazard combinations of strong high-frequency radio signals could produce harmful waves.

Does that sound right? I'm never sure. :tongout
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby freemason9 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:59 pm

I hate being the spoiler, but the methodology in the experiment is questionable; i.e., different rooms may have presented more variables than simply presence/absence of wifi. No actual conclusions can be derived from this single experiment. Although their intentions were great, it is unfortunate that it has become so sensationalized.
The real issue is that there is extremely low likelihood that the speculations of the untrained, on a topic almost pathologically riddled by dynamic considerations and feedback effects, will offer anything new.
freemason9

Postby bardobailey » Wed May 22, 2013 11:12 pm

Please don't Wi-Fi me, bro...
bardobailey

Postby stickdog99 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:50 am

freemason9 wrote:I hate being the spoiler, but the methodology in the experiment is questionable; i.e., different rooms may have presented more variables than simply presence/absence of wifi. No actual conclusions can be derived from this single experiment. Although their intentions were great, it is unfortunate that it has become so sensationalized.

LOL. What is unfortunate is that little kids are the only ones scientifically testing for such obvious potential health hazards.

Meanwhile, we all put our cellphones up to ears.
stickdog99

Postby Sounder » Thu May 23, 2013 7:12 am

The following is just one small example of how power enforces conformity. Now its fifteen years later and Monsanto doesn’t give a tinkers damn about what the ‘community’ thinks about GMO’s, hell they got US state department diplomats as their front-line sales force.

Scientists are not so stupid that they don’t know who butters their bread.

http://worldtruth.tv/scientist-that-dis ... ismantled/
Though it barely received any media attention at the time, a renowned British biochemist who back in 1998 exposed the shocking truth about how genetically-modified organisms (GMOs) cause organ damage, reproductive failure, digestive dysfunction, impaired immunity, and cancer, among many other conditions, was immediately fired from his job, and the team of researchers who assisted him dismissed from their post within 24 hours from the time when the findings went public.

Arpad Pusztai, who is considered to be one of the world's most respected and well-learned biochemists, had for three years led a team of researchers from Scotland's prestigious Rowett Research Institute (RRI) in studying the health effects of a novel GM potato with built-in Bt toxin. Much to the surprise of many, the team discovered that, contrary to industry rhetoric, Bt potato was responsible for causing severe health damage in test rats, a fact that was quickly relayed to the media out of concern for public hearing.

But rather than be praised for their honest assessment into this genetically-tampered potato, Pusztai and his colleagues were chastised by industry-backed government authorities, including British Prime Minister Tony Blair, whose office was discovered to have secretly contacted RRI just hours after Pusztai and his team announced the results of their study on television. For speaking the truth, Pusztai was immediately fired from his position, and his team dismissed from their positions at the school.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby Burnt Hill » Thu May 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Remember this? 1964!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Effect_of_Gamma_Rays_on_Man-in-the-Moon_Marigolds
The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds
Shy Matilda "Tillie" Hunsdorfer prepares her experiment, involving marigolds raised from seeds exposed to radioactivity, for the science fair. She is, however, constantly thwarted by her mother Beatrice, who is self-centered and abusive, and by her extroverted and unstable sister Ruth, who submits to her mother's will. Over the course of the play, Beatrice constantly tries to stamp out any opportunities Tillie has of succeeding, due to her own lack of success in life. As the play progresses, the paths of the three characters diverge: Tillie wins the science fair through perseverance; Ruth attempts to stand up to her mother but has a nervous collapse at the end of the play, and Beatrice—driven to the verge of insanity by her deep-seated enmity towards everyone—kills the girls' pet rabbit Peter and ends up wallowing in her own perceived insignificance. Despite this, Tillie (who is much like her project's deformed but beautiful and hardy marigolds) secretly continues to believe that everyone is valuable.
Burnt Hill

Postby smiths » Thu May 23, 2013 11:23 pm

"I hate being the spoiler, but the methodology in the experiment is questionable"

absolutely, these kids are loons trying to measure something like cellphone/wi-fi radiation which has no connection with our actual lives,
because lets face it, if the kids methodology is questionable then the connection is logically bullshit right?

they should get onto some real science like this ...

"Physicists Create Quantum Link Between Photons That Don’t Exist at the Same Time"

i have been working on applying quantum "two-ways-at-once" states that collapse when you look at them to the way I live,
and to my health, and all that shit
its been going great

i have also been making some really fruitful connections between life right now and utopias that dont exist, and communities and leaders that dont exist

fuck it dudes, get involved

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/ ... d-photons/
the question is why, who, why, what, why, when, why and why again?
smiths

Postby Jerky » Sat May 25, 2013 2:40 am

x2

smiths » 24 May 2013 03:23 wrote:"I hate being the spoiler, but the methodology in the experiment is questionable"

absolutely, these kids are loons trying to measure something like cellphone/wi-fi radiation which has no connection with our actual lives,
because lets face it, if the kids methodology is questionable then the connection is logically bullshit right?

they should get onto some real science like this ...

"Physicists Create Quantum Link Between Photons That Don’t Exist at the Same Time"

i have been working on applying quantum "two-ways-at-once" states that collapse when you look at them to the way I live,
and to my health, and all that shit
its been going great

i have also been making some really fruitful connections between life right now and utopias that dont exist, and communities and leaders that dont exist

fuck it dudes, get involved

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/ ... d-photons/
Jerky

Postby Burnt Hill » Sun May 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Another student experiment-

BACTERIA FLY INTO RADIATION STORM: Three days ago, high school students in Bishop, California, using a suborbital helium balloon launched a petri dish full of extreme-loving halobacteria into the strongest radiation storm of the year. They wanted to know how the extremophiles would fare when peppered with protons at the edge of space. Here is a picture of the sample 108,000 feet above Earth's surface:

I still dont know how to post pics :oops:

The radiation storm was sparked by an M5-class solar flare on May 22nd. Students launched their microbes in the immediate aftermath of the flare when the highest energy protons (E > 100 MeV) were peaking in intensity. In addition to solar protons, the bacteria experienced air pressures only 1% that of sea level on the Earth below, temperatures as low as -65 C, and 70 mph winds. A student recovery team collected the payload from a remote desert in Nevada on May 23rd. Now they are culturing the bacteria to see if they survived.

The students, who call themselves Earth to Sky Calculus, have been launching research balloons for more than two years. Their projects include studies of high-altitude biology, measurements of the effects of solar flares on the ozone layer, and stratospheric photography of meteor showers.

How do they afford all this? To fund their activities, they have started a business called "Edge of Space Advertising." For a fee, they'll fly your banner, card, cow, running shoes, president or other object to the edge of space and send you the video. Contact Earth to Sky Calculus mentor Dr. Tony Phillips for details

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Earth-to-Sky-Calculus/174490502634920
Burnt Hill

Postby Simulist » Sun May 26, 2013 6:38 pm

smiths » Thu May 23, 2013 8:23 pm wrote:"Physicists Create Quantum Link Between Photons That Don’t Exist at the Same Time"

Existence as a unique, separate thing is so yesterday.

(If it ever really was. Which it wasn't.)
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:50 am

Evidence of body / emf / wifi interactions ... and new Theremin interface!

The Wi-Fi in your home can track your moves like Xbox Kinect
Devin Coldewey NBC News

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ7Nz942yAY

WiSee, a low-cost Wi-Fi-based technology.
YouTube / WiSee

Gestures made in mid-air are tracked by WiSee, a low-cost Wi-Fi-based technology.

Want to switch off the living room lights from bed, change channels while washing dishes, or turn the heat up from the couch? A team at the University of Washington has rigged a standard Wi-Fi home network to detect your movements anywhere in the home and convert them into commands to control connected devices.

Gesture recognition is the latest fad in games and tech, but even the newest systems require high-tech depth-sensing cameras or other special hardware. Microsoft's new Kinect, for instance, uses a photon-measuring method called "time of flight" sensing that was, until the Kinect was announced, limited to high-tech laboratories. And Kinect isn't small, either.

UW computer science students, led by assistant professor Shyam Gollakota, looked at the gesture-detection puzzle another way — specifically, how people affect the environment they're already in.

Our bodies distort the Wi-Fi signals we use to beam information to and from our laptops and phones. By watching those signals very closely, the team could determine not just what room you're in, but where you're standing and how you're moving your body. They call the system WiSee.

"By analyzing the variations of these signals over time, we can enable full-body gestures that go beyond simple hand motions," said Qifan Pu, a visiting student and one of the team at UW, in a video outlining the work.

That's no easy task: the "doppler effect" that our bodies have on the wavelength and path of the Wi-Fi signals is miniscule, meaning reliable measurement with consumer-grade hardware is difficult. But the WiSee team's expertise worked it out.

Once the sensing process was rigged up, the group combined the gesture recognition with store-bought home automation devices that wirelessly control lights, media players, thermostats, etc. Soon, they were using WiSee to perform simple tasks like playing a song or changing channels.

The system is also capable of tracking people as they wander through rooms or out of the house, turning off lights or adjusting music volume depending on their location.

Wisee diagram
YouTube / University of Washington

The WiSee system senses how Wi-Fi signals bounce off of or pass through people and obstacles on the way from transmitters like laptops.

The team put together a prototype piece of hardware to demonstrate WiSee, but any modern Wi-Fi router should do the trick, too, with a bit of custom software. With no special devices to buy, this could be the cheapest gesture-recognition tech yet.

Don't worry about anyone installing it surreptitiously on your router, though: It takes a bit of expertise and some specific "training" of the software before it can recognize anything at all, much less specific gestures or locations.

PhD student Sidhant Gupta and assistant professor Shwetak Patel, also on the project, have worked with Microsoft Research on similar body-tracking systems, but using soundwaves or radiation from electrical wires as the medium.

WiSee is currently in the proof-of-concept stage, but the creators hope to present it at the International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking in Miami later this year.

More information, including a technical description of the system, can be found at the project's website.

Devin Coldewey is a contributing writer for NBC News Digital. His personal website is coldewey.cc.

The Wi-Fi in your home can track your moves like Xbox Kinect - NBC News.com.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/wi-fi ... 6C10194118
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby elfismiles » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:14 pm

1/13/2015 @ 7:55AM 46,771 views
Study Suggests Wi-Fi Exposure More Dangerous To Kids Than Previously Thought

Most parents would be concerned if their children had significant exposure to lead, chloroform, gasoline fumes, or the pesticide DDT. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IRIC), part of the United Nations’ World Health Organization (WHO), classifies these and more than 250 other agents as Class 2B Carcinogens. Another entry on that same list is radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (RF/EMF). The main sources of RF/EMF are radios, televisions, microwave ovens, cell phones, and Wi-Fi devices.

Uh-oh. Not another diatribe about the dangers of our modern communication systems? Obviously, these devices and the resulting fields are extremely (and increasingly) common in modern society. Even if we want to, we can’t eliminate our exposure, or our children’s, to RF/EMF. But, we may need to limit that exposure, when possible.

That was among the conclusions of a report published in the Journal of Microscopy and Ultrastructure entitled “Why children absorb more microwave radiation than adults: The consequences.” From an analysis of peer-reviewed studies, the authors argue that children and adolescents are at considerable risk from devices that radiate microwaves (and that adults are at a lower, but still significant, risk). The following points were made:

•Children absorb a greater amount of microwave radiation than adults.
•Fetuses are even more vulnerable than children. Therefore pregnant women should avoid exposing their fetus to microwave radiation.
•Adolescent girls and women should not place cellphones in their bras or in hijabs (headscarf).
•Cellphone manual warnings make clear an overexposure problem exists.
•Government warnings have been issued but most of the public are unaware of such warnings.
•Current exposure limits are inadequate and should be revised.
•Wireless devices are radio transmitters, not toys. Selling toys that use them should be monitored more closely, or possibly even banned.

Children and fetuses absorb more microwave radiation, according to the authors, because their bodies are relatively smaller, their skulls are thinner, and their brain tissue is more absorbent.

More generally, the studies cited in the paper found RF/EMF exposure is linked to cancers of the brain and salivary glands, ADHD, low sperm count, and, among girls who keep cell phones in their bra, breast cancer. They also noted that the average time between exposure to a carcinogen and a resultant tumor is three or more decades.

Hopefully, more longitudinal studies will be done to verify or contradict the findings so far. In the meantime, are the government’s current regulations adequate? The exposure levels they warn against haven’t seem to have been updated for more than 19 years.

In a Network World opinion article ominously titled “Is Wi-Fi killing us…slowly?” columnist Mark Gibbs makes the point that “… laws and warnings are all very well but it’s pretty much certain that all restrictions on products that use microwave technology will err on the safe side; that is, the side that’s safe for industry, not the side of what’s safe for society.” Gibbs then added this ominous closing question, “Will we look back (sadly) in fifty or a hundred years and marvel at how Wi-Fi and cellphones were responsible for the biggest health crisis in human history?”

But, short of that worst-case scenario, the topic certainly merits more scrutiny, and perhaps some common sense limits on what devices our children use, and for how long.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertszcze ... y-thought/

See also:

search.php?keywords=wifi+health&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Next

Return to General Discussion