Paul McCartney as a rigorous intuition subject.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: dog black bird black dog black bird black dog black bird

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:08 am

IanEye wrote:

"This is a song Charles Manson gave to Led Zeppelin. Tonight, they realized that Manson had at best, 'borrowed' it from the Beatles. So, they gave it back." - Paul Hewson

Yes!
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Paul McCartney as a rigorous intuition subject.

Postby justdrew » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Joel Gilbert

his "paul is dead" movie he had to give up on claiming truth, and now it's considered a "spoof"

This guy seems to have a career based on leeching off Bob Dylan's career and selling lies.

While I could almost applaud the job he did taking money off Birthers, I think it's high time we shut down on such peddler's of lies and bullshit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Gilbert

Anyone have any idea how he's making a living in LA peddling such garbage? Where's the cashflow come from? or is he from such circumstances that money is no object?
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby IanEye » Thu May 23, 2013 9:52 am

Maria Alyokhina, today announced a hunger strike after being refused the right to attend her own parole hearing. Paul hopes that Russian officials will grant Maria the right to be present in court in the city of Berezniki.

Paul wrote handwritten letters to Russian officials in support of both Maria Alyokhina and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, who was last month denied parole, asking them to consider release on parole.

In his letter regarding Maria, Paul wrote:

"My personal belief is that further incarceration for Maria will be harmful for her and the situation as a whole, which, of course, is being watched by people all over the world.

“In the great tradition of fair-mindedness which the Russian people (many of whom are my friends) are famous for, I believe that you granting this request would send a very positive message to all the people who have followed this case."

And in his letter regarding Nadezhda:

"I have had a long relationship with the Russian people, and, with this in mind, I am making the following request in a spirit of friendship for my many Russian acquaintances who, like me, believe in treating people - all people, with compassion and kindness."

Maria and Nadezhda were jailed last August for a breach of public order motivated by religious hatred.
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby MinM » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Image@Slate: DEBUNKED: The myth that Kennedy's assassination made Beatlemania possible: http://slate.me/18larU6 pic.twitter.com/k1bvYPhoNE
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:10 pm

http://thepessimist.kinja.com/paul-mcca ... 1459181521

The comments section below the above-linked article are worth perusing...

Paul McCartney. So much has been written about the man who casts one of the largest shadows over 20th-century pop culture that it might seem there's nothing left to discover or say about the man. He was/is The Cute Beatle. The Most Successful Musician of All Time. The Tireless Animal Rights Activist. The Walrus, too.

And now, according to former New York state legislator, civil rights activist, and early Warren Commission critic Mark Lane, you can add yet another title to the already overloaded Sir Paul: JFK Conspiracy Theorist.

I happened upon the surprising account of the young McCartney's interest in JFK's murder quite unexpectedly, while doing research for a satirical Choose Your Own Adventure parody our company was creating. (Free ebook for Gawker readers here.)
Paul McCartney. So much has been written about the man who casts one of the largest shadows over 20th-century pop culture that it might seem there's nothing left to discover or say about the man. He was/is The Cute Beatle. The Most Successful Musician of All Time. The Tireless Animal Rights Activist. The Walrus, too.

And now, according to former New York state legislator, civil rights activist, and early Warren Commission critic Mark Lane, you can add yet another title to the already overloaded Sir Paul: JFK Conspiracy Theorist.

I happened upon the surprising account of the young McCartney's interest in JFK's murder quite unexpectedly, while doing research for a satirical Choose Your Own Adventure parody our company was creating. (Free ebook for Gawker readers here.)
Given Mark Lane's considerable contributions to the historic record of the Kennedy assassination, I felt duty-bound to also read his recently-released autobiography. And it was there, amidst his recollections of his early works with the heroic Freedom Riders, and his controversial later involvement with the Peoples Temple, that I learned something I'd never known about Paul McCartney. That the Cute Beatle, at the height of his popularity and creative powers, did not believe Oswald killed President Kennedy.

MEET THE BEATLE

Lane recounts his first encounter with the then 24-year-old McCartney at a small, private party in London in 1966.

While living in London during that time I attended a small party of about a dozen people. One of the was Paul McCartney. He walked up to me, offered his hand, and told me his name. The introduction was hardly necessary as he was one of the most famous people in the world...

He said, "I understand you have written a book about Kennedy's assassination. I would like to read it."
When Lane explained to McCartney that his was still in manuscript form, and that he had only two mimeographed copies, McCartney replied, "If I could just borrow your copy I would keep it safe and get it back to you in a few days."

Lane obliged his request. A few days later, McCartney returned the manuscript without comment, much to Lane's disappointment. But that night, as he was editing it, his phone rang, and a voice began, "Well he could'na done it, could he?"
Lane, not recognizing the voice and annoyed at the interruption, brusquely replied, "Who is this? And who couldn't have done what?"

"Sorry. Paul, Paul McCartney, we met the other night. And I meant that Oswald could not have killed President Kennedy."

Lane soon learned that his as-yet-unpublished book had profoundly moved McCartney, who wished to discuss it further over dinner. When their dinner at an obscure Polish restaurant was interrupted by a nonagenarian fan seeking an autograph for her granddaughter, McCartney signed her menu, "Happy dinner, Paul McCartney, friend of Mark Lane." Their conversation about Kennedy's murder, and Oswald's possible innocence, continued past closing hours. Yet inevitably, word of McCartney's presence in the restaurant spread quickly, and soon, a crowd of 200 people waited out front for their chance to mob him.

The two escaped by the back door, rushed to McCartney's car, and parted ways at Lane's London apartment. Yet Paul McCartney was not yet done with Mark Lane.

PAPERBACK WRITER

Lane's book Rush to Judgment was published in August 13, 1966, only one week after of The Beatles released their groundbreaking Revolver, and quickly became the #1 bestselling nonfiction book in the country. To say it was controversial is a fantastic understatement. It was an outright declaration of war on the trustworthiness of both government and establishment media.

Some praised the work. Norman Mailer, reviewing the book for The New York Times, noted:

"...Mark Lane has come up with 400 pages of facts on the Warren Commission's inquiry into the murders of President John F. Kennedy, Officer J.D. Tippit, and Lee Harvey Oswald, and they are somewhat staggering. If one-tenth of them should prove to be significant, then the work of the Warren Commission will be judged by history to be a scandal worse than the Teapot Dome."
Yet much of the establishment media, particularly conservative establishment media, was fiercely critical of the book. Though his publication, the National Review, praised the book, founder William F. Buckley didn't even bother to conceal his outright contempt for it and Lane's "left liberal" political work with "possibly Communist-infiltrated" civil rights groups, on a December 1966 episode of public affair program "Firing Line":

Lane was, by his account, more than used to right-wing criticisms and attacks. He was less prepared for the new and steady stream of death threats that followed him throughout his Rush to Judgment book tour. He recounts keeping those mailed to him in a file folder called "Death Threats", which he stopped supplementing after it had swollen to 250.

THE TRAGICAL HISTORY TOUR

Yet Lane was undeterred, and decided to double down by hiring a director and film crew, so they could interview key assassination witnesses in Dallas while memories were still fresh. Many refused to speak with him, citing warnings from FBI agents and Dallas police not to say anything in contradiction of the official report. Yet others, like Acquilla Clemons, whose eyewitness account of the Tippit shooting is at total variance with the official account, obliged his request, despite the threats. And the fear in her eyes is palpable:

It was while editing the film version of Rush to Judgment in London that Lane once again crossed paths with Paul McCartney. McCartney had learned of the upcoming documentary, and, as Lane recounts:

(McCartney) asked if there was going to be any music, and I said that the director and I had not even thought about that yet.

"Well," he said, "I would like to write a musical score for the film, as a present for you."

I was astonished by that generous offer and speechless for a moment, but then I cautioned him that the subject matter was very controversial in the United States and that he might be jeopardizing his future.

He added, "One day my children are going to ask me what I did with my life, and I can't just answer that I was a Beatle."

The generosity of McCartney's offer can hardly be overstated. Here was perhaps the world's most popular entertainer, at the very peak of his creative powers, offering to lend his talent and star power (and risk his own standing with many fans) to help infuse Lane's deeply troubling documentary with his trademark emotional songcraft.

LET IT NOT BE.

Unfortunately, despite McCartney's insistence, it was not to be. Lane's director, Emile de Antonio, ultimately vetoed the Cute Beatle's involvement. De Antonio believed a score by Paul McCartney wouldn't likely boost its popularity, and would prevent it from being "stark and didactic."

In June of 1967, the documentary version of Rush to Judgment opened in select theaters to only modest box office success. That same month, McCartney fared slightly better with his band's release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Nearly 50 years later, we can only wonder what might have ultimately been created had the skeptical McCartney been allowed to lend his talents to a film about the possible conspiracy behind the Kennedy assassination.

(That is, if it really was Paul McCartney...)

This post was written by Despair, Inc. founder Justin Sewell. You can download a free PDF of his Lose Your Own Adventure book here.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:34 am

I really love the compelling story of "James Richards" and his travel to an alternate dimension in which the Beatles never broke up to retrieve a cassette of an album from the late 70's entitled "Everyday Chemistry". You can listen to most of the album on youtube if you don't feel like downloading his zip file. In reality, the songs are a set of masterfully-done mashups of solo albums, but feel like cohesive songs.

The story is truly great. Ingenious way to promote your DJ work.

http://thebeatlesneverbrokeup.com/index ... &Itemid=53

on edit: I'm secretly hoping that one of you anoraks can spot a passage containing a mysterious Klaatu-like set of heretofore unknown vocals.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Hammer of Los » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:31 am

It is ridiculous to assert that Paul today is not the same person.

He clearly is, as I've stated before.

He's got a lovely mbe too.

And he's still alive.

So, he's got a lot going fer him.

Plus he wrote loads of brill songs.

Yah.

Good old Paul.

Gotta forgive him some minor quirks.
Hammer of Los

Re: dog black bird black dog black bird black dog black bird

Postby InfraGard » Tue May 20, 2014 10:25 am

IanEye » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:01 pm wrote:

"This is a song Charles Manson gave to Led Zeppelin. Tonight, they realized that Manson had at best, 'borrowed' it from the Beatles. So, they gave it back." - Paul Hewson

Did Led Zeppelin Write the Greatest Song Opening in Rock History—Or Steal It?

http://time.com/105016/led-zeppelin-is- ... to-heaven/

{Editors note: If artists were truly compensated for people lifting their guitar riffs Chuck Berry would be a billionaire. Jimmy Page however does seem to have turned it into an art form.}
:backtotopic:
Bad news for Paul McCartney fans
InfraGard

Postby Searcher08 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:14 pm

@Luther - Thank you for that - the story (and music) were great!

As for stealing riffs, the master is Ritchie Blackmore
Searcher08

Postby semper occultus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Paul is Dead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04l0tvb

In 1969, with The Beatles in financial and creative turmoil, a strange rumour swept the world. It began with a phone call to a US chat show - Paul McCartney had been killed in a road accident and replaced by the winner of a look-a-like competition, William Campbell an orphan from Edinburgh. And there were clues that could only be revealed by playing the Beatles records backwards.

It sounds unlikely, but millions of fans believed it.

We speak with the man who took that phone call, the hoaxer who developed the myth, and an expert on folklore who sees uncanny parallels with ancient myths about changelings and the darker side of fairies.

What does this odd tale tell us about The Beatles' place in our cultural history?

The programme includes out takes, clips from interviews and rarer versions of Beatles songs.

Produced by Matt Thompson
A Rockethouse production for BBC Radio 4

NOTES ON THE MUSIC USED IN THE PROGRAMME
Wherever possible or appropriate, raw sounding demo or instrumental recordings from The Beatles Anthology albums were used. For ultra lush mixes, the remixed versions from The Beatles' Love album were used. Interludes and chit chat were from the Let it Be Naked - Fly on the Wall CD which contains out takes from the Let It Be film recordings.

Timings refer to the actual programme start.

0.00 Yesterday (alt acoustic version) (Disc 1, Track 7 - Anthology 2, The Beatles)

1.08 Ballad Of Paul (Track 24 - Beatlemaniacs!!! The World of Beatles Novelty Records)

1.17 I Am The Walrus (no overdubs) (Disc 2, Track 14 - Anthology 2, The Beatles)

1.37 Revolution 9 (Disc 2, Track 12 - The Beatles, The Beatles)

1.53 Ballad Of Paul (Track 24 - Beatlemaniacs!!! The World of Beatles Novelty Records)
3.17 I'm Looking Through You (Unissued version) (Disc 1, Track 15 - Anthology 2, The Beatles)

4.07 Revolution 9 (Disc 2, Track 12 - The Beatles, The Beatles)
4.17 Revolution 9 (reversed by programme producer)

5.25 The Fool On The Hill (Demo) (Disc 2, Track 15 - Anthology 2, The Beatles)

6.33 A Day In The Life (take1/2) (Disc 2, Track 5 - Anthology 2, The Beatles)

8.16 Strawberry Fields Forever (Track 8 - Magical Mystery Tour, The Beatles)

8.24 I'm Only Sleeping (Rehearsal) (Disc 1, Track 22 - Anthology 2, The Beatles)

9.02 Fly On The Wall (In rehearsal) (Disc 2, Track 1 - Let It Be...Naked, The Beatles)

9.12 Revolution 9 (Disc 2, Track 12 - The Beatles, The Beatles)

10.57 Glass Onion (Remix) (Track 3 - Love, The Beatles)

11.12 Glass Onion (Disc 1, Track 3 - The Beatles, The Beatles)

12.07 Eleanor Rigby (Strings Only) (Disc 1, Track 21 - Anthology 2, The Beatles)

13.34 Strawberry Fields Forever (Remix) (Track 13 - Love, The Beatles)

14.54 Strawberry Fields Forever (Remix) (Track 13 - Love, The Beatles)
16.47 I'm Looking Through You (Disc 1, Track 15 - Anthology 2, The Beatles)

17.33 John, Paul, George & Ringo (Track 1 - Beatlemaniacs!!! The World of Beatles Novelty Records)

18.13 Within You, Without You [Instrumental] (Disc 2, Track 11 - Anthology 2, The Beatles)

21.21 Your Mother Should Know (take 27) (Disc 2, Track 16 - Anthology 2, The Beatles)

23.18 Fly On The Wall (Paul on piano) (Disc 2, Track 1 - Let It Be...Naked, The Beatles)

23.54 Fly On The Wall (Anyone seen John) (Disc 2, Track 1 - Let It Be...Naked, The Beatles)

25.15 Octopus's Garden / Sun King (Remix) (Track 16 - Love, The Beatles).
semper occultus

Postby marycarnival » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:04 pm

Did a bit of digging back to see if this had already been mentioned, and I didn't find that it had...

Came across this today...

http://thebeatlesneverexisted.com/
marycarnival

Postby justdrew » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:14 am

marycarnival » 05 Dec 2014 18:04 wrote:Did a bit of digging back to see if this had already been mentioned, and I didn't find that it had...

Aww, it's just the alternate timelines converging and consolidating, the Beatles of 1964 did not look exactly the same as today's photos of the Beatles of 1964 look, though probably some original photos exist too. Don't pull on that thread to hard, the fabric of reality may unravel.

Whenever an alternate Earth gets destroyed, detritus from it washes into remaining time streams, this makes for all the confusing contradictions of fact and wrong pictures etc that we're beginning to find thanks to the internet. More familiarly, this phenomenon was seen previously in siblings and such having divergent memories of past shared events, etc.

:wink

all that said, I suppose it's possible there really was the fab four-dozen. but I don't think I've ever heard a single story of one of them performing bilocation, and if this were true, they'd have had the perfect opportunity to pull off that stunt...
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby marycarnival » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:27 am

Oh, I did NOT take this one seriously. In fact, I only posted it because of its extreme ridiculosity. It boggles my mind that someone spent so much time on it!

Although, if one is looking for the definitive dissertation on Macca's eyebrows, here ya go.

But still, yeah...119!
marycarnival

Postby Luther Blissett » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:09 pm

marycarnival » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:04 pm wrote:Did a bit of digging back to see if this had already been mentioned, and I didn't find that it had...

My friends were just passing that around yesterday too. Specifically, they wanted to let our two pseudonymous friends who write "Let Me Tell You About the Beatles" know about it. Just as I do with pretty much everything posted on this thread.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion