SkyNet Lives

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: SkyNet Lives

Postby smoking since 1879 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:13 am

tron » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:58 pm wrote:there are machines running trades in the markets, algorithms are running the show already.

yes, so i heard. tho it's tempting to suggest they're playing out in a different financial universe now, one that budded off from base reality sometime last century
"Now that the assertive, the self-aggrandising, the arrogant and the self-opinionated have allowed their obnoxious foolishness to beggar us all I see no reason in listening to their drivelling nonsense any more." Stanilic
smoking since 1879

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:49 am

What an amazing development... androids dream of psychedelic memes
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:07 pm

Do androids dream of power surges?

If they do, would those dreams be ecstatic or nightmares?
Iamwhomiam

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:17 pm

Some of those skies that the androids dream of look remarkably like the visual hallucinations I received in the sky on my psylocybin trip. I'm actually puzzling through that.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Elvis » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:53 pm

Luther Blissett » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:17 pm wrote:Some of those skies that the androids dream of look remarkably like the visual hallucinations I received in the sky on my psylocybin trip. I'm actually puzzling through that.

My first thoughts exactly.

Also, this came to mind: One night in the early 1970s a friend and I ingested a psychedelic and for awhile we watched TV. We found that we preferred a "blank" channel of static "snow"; images emerged from the noise: faces, scenes, objects. A curious thing was, we'd occasionally look at each other -- "Did you see THAT?" Of course we couldn't be sure that we were seeing the same things, but it sure seemed like it.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby DrEvil » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:04 pm

^^That sounds pretty close to what Google did. The mind/AI starts looking for patterns in random noise and "forces" the noise to become something comprehensible and you see strange shit.
It's literally pattern-matching on acid. :)
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby zangtang » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:44 pm

yeah er hmmn - you sure you want to do that?
zangtang

Postby DrEvil » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:06 pm

Here's a Google gallery with lots more trippy images:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... 05bUdEMnhB
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Grizzly » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:08 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm ... ners_onto/

Security:
Google was downloading audio listeners onto computers without consent, say Chromium users - "We don’t know and can’t know what this black box does. But we see reports that the microphone has been activated, and that Chromium considers audio capture permitted"

wtf?!
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby coffin_dodger » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:53 am

^^ not so much skynet, more like humans gathering the data of future currency.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby FourthBase » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:08 am

Let's say for the sake of argument that it'd be possible to roll back advances in computer technology to a certain year from the past and freeze it there. What essential functions in our society actually depend on computer technology developed since, say, 1996, or 1986, or 1976? What wouldn't be possible anymore? Is there anything useful that couldn't still be transported, calculated, communicated, manufactured, purchased, etc.? Perhaps a few humane scientific discoveries would become impossible -- okay, if so, then stipulate that the top scientists in their field get access to a smattering of communal computers a la telescopes. Anything else?
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:04 am

I work with software, intrinsic software in the telco industry that the last time it was updated was 1986. Apparently that's all about to change come fall and we're going to roll with something else. In a term, it is definitely rustic. But I agree with you and have long thought the same. There should be a point where you can "pause" what tech you want to run.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:22 am

I never use it any more but this still exists and works:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_%28web_browser%29
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby smoking since 1879 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:32 am

"Now that the assertive, the self-aggrandising, the arrogant and the self-opinionated have allowed their obnoxious foolishness to beggar us all I see no reason in listening to their drivelling nonsense any more." Stanilic
smoking since 1879

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:21 pm

I like that, smokey! So true!
Iamwhomiam

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion