A Debunker's Lament

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

A Debunker's Lament

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Via: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... -honestly/

Typically, we use this space to debunk the various hoaxes, charades and conspiracy theories that afflict social media each week. But this week, I can’t do it. I must abstain. Because someone’s done a study on debunk efforts like this one, and bottom line? They’re all in vain.

To reach this heart-rending conclusion, Walter Quattrociocchi — the head of the Laboratory of Computational Social Science at IMT Lucca — and a team of seven (!) other researchers studied how two groups of U.S. Facebook users interacted with news on the site. One group was comprised of people who interact with reputable science pages. (Those are the ones who presumably have a level of news literacy.) The other group was made of people who like far-out conspiracy pages — anti-vaxxers, Illuminati-watchers, that kind of thing.

They quickly came to two conclusions about the conspiracy and non-conspiracy groups. First off: They didn’t overlap at all, which means the misinformed, as we’ll politely call them, were unlikely to ever see the truth. And second, when the conspiracy group did encounter “debunking” information, it didn’t change their mind. In fact, it just made them more resolute: After encountering a post that challenged a conspiracy theory, theorists tend to like and comment on pages about that theory even more.

Which is, of course, not exactly news to social science so it is surprising this would hit the author like some kind of revelation. Anyways...

This is … depressing, frankly! And not merely because I’ve sunk 76 almost-consecutive weeks into this column. It’s also depressing because, with debunks or without them, Quattrociocchi expects hoaxes and conspiracy theories to grow more common. When you break them down into their composite parts, these hoaxes are just some mix of bias, functional illiteracy, and institutional mistrust – not exactly quick-fix problems.

They’re only heightened by the sheer amount of information on the Internet, and the pace at which new information comes out: Simply put, no one has the time or cognitive capacity to reason all the apparent nuances and discrepancies out.

“Facebook and Twitter have created a direct path of content from producers to consumers, changing the way users become informed, debate ideas, and shape their worldviews,” Quattrociocchi et al. write. “This scenario might foster confusion about causations regarding global and social issues and thus encourage paranoia based on false rumors.”

Can confirm: That is indeed happening! And apparently, debunking them doesn’t do a darn thing.

All Hail Pepe the King.

2015 has definitely been The Year of The LULZ.

I'll let WSB wrap this up:

By playing back my recordings to the Moka Bar when I want and with any changes I wish to make in recordings, I become God for this locale. I affect them. They cannot affect me.

Suppose, for example, that in the interest of national security, your bathroom and bedroom are bugged and rigged with hidden infrared cameras. These pictures and recordings give access. You may not experience shame during defecation and intercourse, but you may well experience shame when these recordings are played back to a disapproving audience. Shame is playback: exposure to disapproval.

Now let us consider the arena of politics and the applications of bugging in this area. Of course, any number of recordings are immediately available since politicians make speeches on TV. These recordings, however, do not give access. The man who is making a speech is not really there. Consequently, intimate or at least private recordings are needed, which is why the Watergate conspirators found it necessary to resort to burglary.

A Presidential candidate is not a sitting duck like the Moka Bar. He can make any number of recordings of his opponents . So the game is complex and competitive, with recordings made by both sides. This leads to more sophisticated techniques, the details of which have yet to come out.

The basic operation of recording, pictures, more pictures, and playback can be carried out by anyone with a recorder and a camera. Any number can play. Millions of people carrying out this basic operation could nullify the control system which those who are behind Watergate and Nixon are attempting to impose. Like all control systems, it depends on maintaining a monopoly position. If anybody can be tape recorder three, then tape recorder three loses power. God must be the God.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

while everyone knelt to pray the grifter did escape

Postby IanEye » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:34 pm

It turns out that the eye at the top of the pyramid is a complex surveillance system.
The better to protect all of the grain inside the pyramid.
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: A Debunker's Lament

Postby General Patton » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:15 pm wrote:
All Hail Pepe the King.

The idols are both frightening and silly, and no one knows why the Masters keep them around...
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby Grizzly » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:03 pm

institutional mistrust

ROFLMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Nordic » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:02 pm

They quickly came to two conclusions about the conspiracy and non-conspiracy groups. First off: They didn’t overlap at all, which means the misinformed, as we’ll politely call them, were unlikely to ever see the truth. And second, when the conspiracy group did encounter “debunking” information, it didn’t change their mind. In fact, it just made them more resolute: After encountering a post that challenged a conspiracy theory, theorists tend to like and comment on pages about that theory even more.

Exactly. Those who read The Washington Post, the NY Times, and listen to NPR and vote Democrat are EXACTLY like this.

A perfect description of them really.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Opie's step-brother

Postby IanEye » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:14 am

in spite of ourselves we'll end up a-sittin' on a rainbow
against all odds, honey we're the big door-prize
we're gonna spite our noses right off of our faces
there won't be nothin' but big ol' hearts dancin' in our eyes
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:33 am

I have to invite Caitlin Dewey here to read and participate in the threads on PIE/Magpie, Alan Dershowitz, La Luz Del Mundo, Unit 731, Darpa brain implants, ancient earthworks, covert origins of ISIS, and Gladio. How sad would she get?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Let Them "Praise the Lord" AND Pay Taxes

Postby scottogle » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:39 am

The European Appellate Court Hague's recent removal of Scientology's tax free status makes the IRS Enforcement Division look silly.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/austin-t ... force-ogle

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/law-enfo ... scott-ogle

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-best ... itle-share
scottogle

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Let Them "Praise the Lord" AND Pay Taxes

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:15 pm

scottogle » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:39 am wrote:The European Appellate Court Hague's recent removal of Scientology's tax free status makes the IRS Enforcement Division look silly.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/austin-t ... force-ogle

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/law-enfo ... scott-ogle

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-best ... itle-share

Scott, I'm sorry your crusade is not taking on the dimensions you had hoped, but I'd still appreciate it if you could muster the self-control to refrain from spamming us. You're accomplishing nothing but marginalizing yourself.

With motherfucking LinkedIn URLs, of all the fucking....c'mon.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:19 pm

I do like that thread though. It's too dense for me to get through all new updates but it's great. I'm the one who brought it up here, because really, how would the author of the article that precipitated this thread handle Scott's research?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby tapitsbo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Agreed, something like Scott's thread leaves a trail of likely evidence or at least activity in case there are future developments with his case
tapitsbo

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:52 pm

Okay, snarl is duly retracted, carry on & carry on.
Wombaticus Rex

Let Them "Praise the Lord" AND Pay Taxes

Postby scottogle » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Thank you, Gentlemen. Wombat, if you prefer, just sit back and watch while Congress discusses in an upcoming "U.S. Senate Subcommittee on International Affairs" hearing with the agenda including the tax implications of religious sects sponsored by Lloyd Doggett and /or Ted Cruz targeting the IRS 501(c)(3) violation reports associated with Scientology, FLDS/Warren Jeffs, and Light of the World / Iglesia La Luz Del Mundo.. Each one of the religious sects are international organizations with Scientology and Light of the World in over 80 countries. Light of the World continues to expand exponentially because of their cheap cinderblock churches they build virtually for free with free "volunteer help" and often stolen building supplies.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6lgc ... sp=sharing

Then, stand corrected, justify yourself out of your corner, apologize, or not. . ..and we'll even try to get you in to listen to the D.C.hearings next session if you want, despite you being kinda an asshole. My little brother knows Ted Cruz, and ran for the Texas Legislature last election. He'll win next time. We hold conservative values, and don't like people fucking with religious tithes. My family is also a strong supporter of human rights, including sexual molestation of young girls, and trafficking them across borders. Telling members of a church that they will "go to hell if they tell authorities" has always been against the Ogle code of conduct, as far as I know. Big no-no in the Ogle family is for a minister, such as Carlos A. Montemayor https://www.facebook.com/Carlos-A-Monte ... 560540278/ - a known pedophile from Austin, Arizona, Marietta Georgia, and now India "2nd in command" minister who has recently been described as a child molesting "Apostle" who will never change his pedophile tendencies. While Light of the World has been described as "a dangerous cult" for 30 years, and as recently as 2015 in University of Texas Press publication of the late Professor Hugo Nutini's scathing book targeting Light of the World as a sect that law enforcement has chosen not to enforce.

see Nutini's book exerpt: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/houston- ... scott-ogle

To rape a member's child as a right of an elite member of Light of the World Pentecostal Church is a right no white person has ever heard about. Call me racist.

"We on the outside of these closed societies whose policies forbid government reporting just never knew about it."

As for me, I blame it all on my mother for my rightousness, and a cop who slammed me up against a brick wall at the age of 15 for riding a moped on a city street for my questions to authority ever since.. .along with a victim I lived with for 1.5 years who told the wrong person before she dumped me, but not before telling me to get rid of my baboons - Abel and Annie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1LZlI9p1TM I made the wrong choice, and so did she. God works in mysterious ways, and the issue has grown exponentially. She's just a footnote. No, really. The fact that she's engaged to a police officer after dumping a surgeon has no bearing on our respect for our men in black and blue. Not a bit.

Reliable reports document that due to the mere possibility of a Congressional Review due to Ogle's outbursts, the San Antonio IRS Enforcement Division has been dusting off its "freedom of religion' policies after receiving numerous calls requesting clarification how Scientology can be ruled illegal AND ENFORCED in the Netherlands and Belgium, but not in the U.S.? However, if you call to verify, it will be denied. Calls to anywhere other than the iRS are met with "not our jurisdiction". Enough calls to the IRS have already made a "change of priorities" with a reported focus on ... .. religious cults! Well, shut my mouth. Credit is given to Anonymous for being a voice to the outrages of Scientology, but the three combined has a better chance than any one alone. That's why we get along! Idea: Wombat, why don't you call your local IRS Enforcement Division, give your real name, and inquire when the U.S. is going to stop looking either silly, or crooked, in not enforcing Scientology's (and LLDM / FLDS) tax statuses. That will get you off your boulder of hateful ridicule. Other wise, a lion can take a tiger any day of the week.

Proof that "Apostle Naason" was born in Mexico, and not San Diego / LA. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6lgc ... sp=sharing
/
Bitching on social media is at least one way an idea can become a "closed file". idk, I'm learning as we go. Little by little we see exposure that wasn't there before with the recent Scientology tax free removal decision . Our lil' LLDM crusade just hitched a ride on a MUCH BIGGER and already organized resistance of Scientology that deserves a closer look at a higher level than the IRS Enforcement Division. . LLDM is 10x worse in human rights violations, and wholesale human trafficking. Local ministers make alot of money in August when everyong who wants to go to Heaven MUST travel to Mexico, and back, unless "physically incapable". https://www.facebook.com/ladygaga/posts/300777966774069

FLDS I don't know enough about, but I know people who do, and all three are tax free doing dirty deeds that are violations of the IRS rules.

A 3fer for a Congressional Review just like they investigated "the Moonies" in the '70's. All 3 religious cults have similar IRS 501c3 violations. A Congressional investigation would give those in law enforcement, particularly the FBI and border control guards who get paid money/bribe/mordida by LLDM leadership a reason to change their habits, and enforce, rather than profiting themselves. These closed societies' sex secrets leave girls with a lifetime of regret, rage, and frustration over the lack of enforcement. In fact, those with hard evidence are reluctant due to others who have reported and nothing happened. Witnesses who never get a call back from the FBI leaves one wondering why the FBI would fail to return a call. Law enforcement's failure to control blaming victims rather than enforcing the law. It's a public outrage that has real victims who have no voice because of the consequences within the closed society - both LLDM and FLDS have literal compounds that even law enforcement and emergency responders are not allowed to enter. The lack of outside enforcement allow "men of God" to make their own rules, and justify their child molestation that I have personal knowledge of. You don't. That makes us different.

Self dealing and Profit motive of Scientology and LLDM, in particular, make them nothing more than organized criminal organizations using religion as a harbor from paying taxes. Let the mfs praise the lord, and pay taxes, while we work on the other more difficult human rights violations that no one talks about without retaliation. LLDM has organized a paramilitary group to combat those of us broadcasting the truth. Why doesn't that get you riled up, Wombat? Quit hating, and do something productive. If not here, elsewhere. Just don't spew without review. Lurk moar, son.

Wombat, you're already in Chapters 6, and especially 8, of the e-book. "The sleeping tiger" doesn't do anything but pass gas.

Ok, this is where they start calling me crazy, but my former client's father is "a General" in a Mexican mafia .. .something with "7" idk. He was one of the 7 who escaped from the Connally Unit and is well respected within the organization. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Seven

He's a good kid, and has been repairing my pos car door my camel bent backwards one day, but was beat senseless in handcuffs last week in San Antonio while driving my car. 9 stitches and a $21k hospital bill later they let him go after stopping him for a headlight, cuffing him, and being beaten senseless, for no justifiable reason. That's my day job. My pet project is bring God's tithes back to the people through IRS activism. Meanwhile, we're subpoening the San Antonio dashcam tomorrow. If the video contains what I am convinced of, it will be on Youtube within 30 days. Noel tells me that gang members don't like child molesters, and would likely be an ally in our effort to curb Houses of God from taking advantage of women - especially the Mexican "Iglesia La Luz Del Mundo" / " Light of the World Church". :angelwings:

"Bad boys doing good things?" A little different, but the brand acquisition would add another league to helping curb religious human outrages. There are some things we can all agree on, especially if women are involved. But, organized criminals doing God's work. Would that be illegal on our part by associating with known criminals whose association would otherwise be a felony in bring light to the dark side of a few religious cults? As long as it's legal, we can't get in trouble by merely associating with known criminal organizations, can we? That's the kind of thing that keeps me up at night. I have been invited to their next meeting, wherever the hell that is, and have been offered the podium. Meanwhile, he said he would ask his dad how the 7's could be of assistance - while I wait for my lawyer to call me back.

It's really exciting being involved in activity that we know is gonna help alot of people. How many chances in one's lifetime does a man, woman, or even Caitlyn Jenner have to do that? :partydance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottogle

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:59 am

I hope you keep posting scot ..it's important ..don't let anything detract from you doing so...I don't know why a couple people have to be so hateful here..well actually I do :)...I've endured it for 10 years
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby NeonLX » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:28 pm

Oh, hell. Never mind.
Last edited by NeonLX on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to General Discussion