Pawn shop chronicals..wtf twisted and weird , just how I like em
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby semper occultus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:48 am

....god help me I've just signed on for this one...13 hours....9-5pm over Saturday-Sunday ....I'll be talking in a french accent by next Sunday afternoon...

...lots of timely RI synchro's & boxes ticked ...who wouldn't want to go back to Paris 1971 and walk those streets, its got secret-societies and other weirdness, and after being bombarded with hype for that Spectre crap ....

What is Out 1?
Out 1 is a 13-hour film by Jacques Rivette.

13 hours?
Yes, 773 minutes. The film is structurally indebted to early silent serials, such as Louis Feuillade’s Les Vampires, and is thus divided into eight distinctive episodes of around 90 – 100 minutes each. There are several independent narratives and sub-plots, with many of the characters loosely connected to each other.

What’s it about?
Made in 1971 and inspired by Honoré de Balzac’s La Comédie humaine, it is an eccentric, playful, multi-stranded puzzle-box epic loosely revolving around a secret society operating in Paris. It stars several heavyweight actors of the age, including Jean-Pierre Léaud, Juliet Berto, Michele Moretti, Michael Lonsdale, Bulle Ogier and Bernadette Lafont.

Why is Out 1 important?
There are three key reasons why Out 1 is so important. Firstly, it has been near impossible to see for decades. It screened once in 1971, and subsequent screenings were extremely rare.

Secondly, Out 1 is one of the key works of the French New Wave. The movement – led by critics-cum-filmmakers Jean-Luc Godard, Francois Truffaut, Claude Chabrol and Eric Rohmer, under the auspices of André Bazin – did more to push the medium of filmmaking than any other in the second half of the 20th century. In many ways, Out 1 represents the farthest reaches to which cinema could be pushed at the time.

Finally, Out 1 alters our preconceptions of what cinema can be. Rivette has little regard for the conservative strictures of classical filmmaking, and invites us to think about the very limits of what we consider to be cinema.

13 hours is a very demanding length. Is it actually any good?
It’s a masterpiece. While it is an admittedly daunting time commitment, it’s still a fun, playful experience. Unlike his New Wave contemporaries, Rivette loved to introduce elements of mysticism and magical realism into his films, infusing everyday events with a sense of the fantastical. Out 1 is, at its heart, a tantalising mystery. It’s strange, funny and completely unpredictable. With its story-within-story, text-within-text structure, it is also a very absorbing picture; a rabbit hole to get lost in.

Will there be plenty of breaks during the day?
Yes. There are three breaks on the first day and one on the second (the episodes are significantly shorter on the second day). We have worked very hard to make the screenings as comfortable as possible, given the demanding run time. We also plan on arranging a casual dinner and drinks on the first night, and we would love to see as many of the audience members there are possible.

How often has the film actually screened before?
Screenings have been very rare. It was screened once as a “work in progress” in Le Havre in 1971, only to disappear until it was restored and screened at the Rotterdam and Berlin Film Festivals in the early 90s. It then vanished again until it screened as a part of a Jacques Rivette retrospective in Italy in 2004. It has only shown once in the UK, at the BFI’s Rivette season in 2006. Limited subsequent screenings took place, including famous showings in New York and Vancouver. These extremely rare screenings have become the stuff of legend in cinephile circles. The MoMI screening of 2006 has, in particular, become a Sex-Pistols-at-the-100-Club phenomena among New York film lovers.

What is the difference between the Noli me tangere and Spectre cuts of the film?
Noli me tangere is Rivette’s intended 13-hour cut of the film. The legend is that “noli me tangere” (“touch me not”) was written on the film cans of an early print. Though it is not the actual title of the film, it has been widely used to refer to the original, longer cut. Spectre is a 4-hour cut of the film. But it is not merely a shorter cut of the film; it’s a complete reworking, using much of the same material. Rivette himself referred to it as a “critique”.

Do I need to have read any of the source material to get the most out of it?
No. While Rivette often built his films around other texts, whether as straight adaptations or as texts explicitly referred to in the narratives, the film itself is always the first and foremost consideration, with the texts serving as springboards or points of reference.

There are four key literary reference points in Out 1: La Comédie humaine by Honoré de Balzac, Prometheus Bound and Seven Against Thebes by Aeschylus and The Hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carrol.

La Comédie humaine is Balzac’s epic, multi-volume collection of novels, stories and essays depicting French society in the post-Napoleonic era. In Out 1, Rivette attempts something similar, but with the landscape of Paris after the civil unrest of May 1968 in the country. The film is explicitly indebted to The History of the Thirteen, a collection of three novellas which form part of La Comédie humaine – Ferragus, The Duchess of Langeais (which was actually adapted into a separate film by Rivette in 2007) and The Girl with the Golden Eyes. “The Thirteen” of the collection are a powerful and sinister secret society operating in 19th century France. This is a central part of Out 1.

Prometheus Bound and Seven Against Thebes are the two plays being rehearsed by the theatre troupes in Out 1. Both were written by Greek playwright Aeschylus around 400 – 500 BC. The former is a tragedy about a Titan who defies the gods and gives fire to humanity, while the latter is the third part of Aeschylus’ Oedipus trilogy.

The Hunting of the Snark is a nonsense poem written by Alice in Wonderland author Lewis Carrol. It charts the travails of a group of people hunting a creature known as a “Snark”. It is referred to in a key message received by a central character in Out 1.

Why is it called Out 1?
In Rivette’s words: “I chose ‘Out’ as the opposite of the vogue word ‘in’, which had caught on in France and which I thought was silly. The action of the film is rather like a serial which could continue through several episodes, so I gave it the number ‘One’.”

semper occultus

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:34 pm

lucky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:43 am wrote:Pawn shop chronicals..wtf twisted and weird , just how I like em

While I didn't like that particular film much, a few recent recommendations from the "This is So Insane I Can't Recommend it To Most People" file:
Let Us Prey
American Mary
and especially, especially, the Astron-6 masterpiece "Fathers Day," among the most brutal comedies I've ever seen.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby fruhmenschen » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Compelled to Action: The Story of Citizens Alert trailer
from John Lyons Plus 3 years ago Not Yet Rated

https://vimeo.com/48269593

From the 1969 murder of Black Panther Chairman Fred Hampton to the 2010 conviction of Chicago Police Commander Jon Burge, Citizens Alert has been a voice for victims of police violence and torture.
Through in-depth interviews with Mary Powers, victims of police torture and their families, pioneering lawyers who prosecuted torturers in the Chicago Police department, and dedicated activists, Compelled to Action tells the remarkable story of a small group of people who, in the face of institutional ignorance, corruption and abuse, dedicated themselves to making their city and their world a more effective, compassionate and humane place.

Compelled to Action is scheduled for release in the spring of 2013.

I shot and am editing this film, which is directed by longtime collaborator Jackie Rivet-River.
fruhmenschen

Postby guruilla » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Bleakest (and best?) film of 2015:

Most improbably exciting film of 2015:

It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby DrEvil » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:43 pm

@Wombat: A similar movie to Let us Prey is Last Shift. Nothing too special but good enough that I finished it. I had to stop watching Let us Prey when fingernails got broken. Just can't handle that particular horror trope. Is it worth finishing?

@guruilla: +1 for Sicario. Very good movie.

Another movie I liked was The Atticus Institute. Low budget fake documentary about possession.

And as always Noroi: The Curse. In my opinion the best fake documentary/horror ever made, and best of all it's on Youtube with english subs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilHmpETJgZ0
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby brekin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:49 pm

My vote for a current horror/sci-fish guilty pleasure in the tiresome fake documentary vein.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby DrEvil » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:14 pm

^^That one's pretty good. A couple of others in the same genre:

The Bay
The Borderlands / Final Prayer (US title)
DrEvil

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:25 pm

DrEvil » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:43 pm wrote:@Wombat: A similar movie to Let us Prey is Last Shift. Nothing too special but good enough that I finished it. I had to stop watching Let us Prey when fingernails got broken. Just can't handle that particular horror trope. Is it worth finishing?

@guruilla: +1 for Sicario. Very good movie.

+2 for Villeneuve's lean and brilliant take on Apocalypse Now. Better soundtrack, better cinematography.

Also: The Revenant, and Cop Car, which I have mentioned before.

In terms of bleak horror with hella jump shots: the 2010 remake of The Crazies is one of my feel-good favorites (don't judge me) along with 2014 french jawn Among The Living, which I've seen an easy dozen times in French with basically no comprehension of what I am hearing.

I have been carefully viewing all horror film re-makes recently, but the only other two I can recommend so far are 1) the 2006 The Hills Have Eyes, which I think achieves Ur-Text status for slasher films. It is cast as a Western, played as a Western, but written as a straight take on the Wes Craven brutalist original. Really dug it, but in the vein of Too Many Trigger Warnings to Mention at Dinner ... and 2) Of course, Evil Dead, a legitimate contender for the best horror film ever made.

"What isn't a re-make, though, bruh?" I so feel you on that, bruh. Cronenberg's long-form grand-guignol rick-roll The Fly motherfucking transcends itself, like so many other 80's products that still manage to look amazing two plus decades later. (Word to Ridley Scott, Micheal Mann and James Cameron.) AND CAN WE TALK ABOUT The Devils Backbone, BRUH?

In softly inebriated closing, anyone reading this who likes horror should see We Are Still Here.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby brekin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:40 pm

Some good suggestions I'll have to pick up (or I guess we say stream now).

I watched 3 out of 4 hours of this mammoth The Decline and Fall of Freddy Krueger (Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy) and thought it really well done. It is quite the thorough examination of a social phenomenon and the various permutations and reception of the films I think holds a key to something.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby DrEvil » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:02 pm

Recently watched We Are Still Here and yup, it was very good.

The Hills Have Eyes is also really good (holy shit, that axe fight!), but brutal as hell.

Speaking of Evil Dead, I've been watching the Ash vs Evil Dead TV show. Not sure if I really like it yet, but the first time he says F**k in the first episode is brilliant.

If you like Lovecraft I would highly recommend The Whisperer in Darkness. It's made to look like it was filmed in the 40's and stays very close to the source material.

And an episode from the Masters of Horror anthology series that's really good:
John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns, about a man searching for a movie that drives people insane.

Will have to watch the Evil Dead remake. I chickened out the first time I tried. Friggin' razorblades.

Edit: And another episode from an anthology series (Fear Itself): Eater by Stuart Gordon. Crazy shit in police station.
DrEvil

Postby zangtang » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:43 pm

anyone would suspect you enjoyed having the BEJAYZUS! scared out of you.
zangtang

Postby Agent Orange Cooper » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 am

guruilla » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:03 pm wrote:Most improbably exciting film of 2015:

Huh. I was all jazzed for it (love Bobby Fischer & chess movies in general, the few that are out there), but came away disappointed. It was so forgettable and safe. I just couldn't take Tobey seriously in that role.

I didn't see many movies from this year, but of the ones I did see, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation was my favorite. I am a bit of an action movie connoisseur and the Cruiser never fails to deliver on that score.
Agent Orange Cooper

Postby DrEvil » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:07 am

zangtang » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:43 am wrote:anyone would suspect you enjoyed having the BEJAYZUS! scared out of you.

You would be correct. :)
DrEvil

Postby guruilla » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:06 pm

Been waiting for this one to show up

On November 6, 2013, The Weinstein Company acquired the U.S distribution rights to the film.[16] On November 22, 2013, Weinstein set a release date of August 28, 2015.[17] However, it was later pulled from the schedule.[18] The film was re-set to February 5, 2016, under the RADIUS-TWC banner.[19][20][21] The film had its world premiere at the San Sebastián International Film Festival on September 18, 2015.[22]The film was released in Spain on October 2, 2015, in the United Kingdom on October 9, 2015.[23]

Regression was panned by critics. The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 6% rating, based on 18 reviews, leaving a rating average of 3.9/10.[24] On Metacritic, the film has a score of 34 out of 100, based on 5 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".[25]

Maybe it's a stinker, but the director is Alejandro Amenábar, who did maybe my favorite American horror movie in the last twenty years, The Others, so . . . .
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie