NFL Conspiracy? Steelers-Chargers final play looks fishy

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: NFL Conspiracy? Steelers-Chargers final play looks fishy

Postby MinM » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:42 am

NY Daily News Sports ‏@NYDNSports 7m7 minutes ago

Bengals collapse in final minutes in 18-16 loss to Steelers http://nydn.us/1RCbXH7

SI NBA ‏@si_nba 2h2 hours ago

Lose Powerball? The '85 Draft Lottery is still a sore subject for some people. SI Longform: http://on.si.com/1QNTN3w

Arlen Specter & Deflategate
Earth-704509
MinM

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:34 am

Let's see what fishiness happens next week. Pitt heads to Denver. If there is anything fishy it will be because the NFL wants Manning to win it all. We shall see.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:52 pm

On various sports forums not only Vikings fans are saying the Seahawks/Vikings game was fixed. I have no idea. But it was interesting that two field goals, especially the game loser for the Vikings were "laces out". Holders are meticulously trained to make the football's laces face away from the kicker. Supposedly it fucks up the kick or at least the kicker's concentration. I know nobody cares for football around these here parts, but definitely odd it would happen TWICE in one game and not have been addressed to the holder after the first one. Either way a lot of money was made in Vegas and other booking orgs just by that alone. I have no idea, but I like the idea of conspiracy to throw the game better than just a simple mistake because it's more interesting that way. :eeyaa
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:04 pm

"Laces out" in Ace Ventura refers to the best form for kicking a field goal in football. The ball should be positioned with its laces out (facing the goalpost) rather than with the laces in (facing the kicker). The trajectory of the ball is more easily controlled when it is positioned laces out, which makes it more desirable when kicking the field goal. In the film, "Lois" Einhorn/Ray Finkle blames Dan Marino for positioning the football laces in and costing him a Super-Bowl-winning field goal. His anger about this prompts him to kidnap Marino and Snowflake, the mascot for the Miami Dolphins.
82_28

Postby Nordic » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:52 pm

That is the only football game I have watched all season! I was bored and found a great stream of it to watch on my megaphone.

It's funny this would be brought up here, because just when it looked like the Bengals we're going to win, a thought moved into my mind -- "are they really gonna let the Steelers lose this one?"

I am not one to quickly believe that pro sports are fixed. Hell even if you want to throw the game sometimes you can't. The only time I've thought an NFL game was fixed was when at the end of the Super Bowl where Eli Manning had been destroying the Saints all day long, suddenly he started throwing inexplicable interceptions and the Saints actually "won". And that "put Katrina behind us as a nation". Barf.

But yeah this game the other night, suddenly the refs seemed to throw that game for the Steelers. So weird. I didn't even see the foul that caused the ball to be moved another 15 yards closer to the goal line - it seems they kept trying to show a replay of it without success -- the talking heads said he had "pushed a ref" but I sure never saw the evidence of that, and they showed. Few clips that didn't show anything, almost like the replay guys were trying to find footage that would show it but coming up short -- Then suddenly it was a done deal and the Steelers were the victors.

Strange thing indeed.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Burnt Hill » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:59 pm

82_28 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:52 pm wrote:On various sports forums not only Vikings fans are saying the Seahawks/Vikings game was fixed. I have no idea. But it was interesting that two field goals, especially the game loser for the Vikings were "laces out". Holders are meticulously trained to make the football's laces face away from the kicker. Supposedly it fucks up the kick or at least the kicker's concentration. I know nobody cares for football around these here parts, but definitely odd it would happen TWICE in one game and not have been addressed to the holder after the first one. Either way a lot of money was made in Vegas and other booking orgs just by that alone. I have no idea, but I like the idea of conspiracy to throw the game better than just a simple mistake because it's more interesting that way. :eeyaa

Seemed a bit fishy to me also. The holder explained that due to the bitter cold, he wore gloves and couldn't feel the laces. Though the kicker did make the first more difficult kick with the laces in. I guess he just shanked the short one.
Burnt Hill

Postby 82_28 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:47 am

Just wanna chime in and say I've never seen a game as crazy as the Arizona/Green Bay game. Fucking nuts.
82_28

Previous

Return to General Discussion