Citizen Lane (Documentary on JFK Researcher Mark Lane)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Citizen Lane (Documentary on JFK Researcher Mark Lane)

Postby Stephen Morgan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:45 am

Black Hole's footnotes:

25. White Night, p. 224 (over 300 U.S. troops, 11/20); Guyana Daily Mirror, 11/23/78 (325 U.S. troops); Hold Hands, p. 200 (200 for clean-up) and NYT, 11/23/78 (239 to evacuate). What was the function of nearly 100 additional U.S. forces? "Jocks in the Jungle," London Sunday Times, 11/78 (British Black Watch troops).
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby bks » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:24 am

Stephen Morgan wrote:Black Hole's footnotes:

25. White Night, p. 224 (over 300 U.S. troops, 11/20); Guyana Daily Mirror, 11/23/78 (325 U.S. troops); Hold Hands, p. 200 (200 for clean-up) and NYT, 11/23/78 (239 to evacuate). What was the function of nearly 100 additional U.S. forces? "Jocks in the Jungle," London Sunday Times, 11/78 (British Black Watch troops).

Yeah, some of those citations simply refer back to the original ones I believe, without adding new information. I know I went looking for that London Sunday Times article and couldn't find it. Have a lead on how to access it, Stephen?
bks

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Stephen Morgan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 pm

bks wrote:
Stephen Morgan wrote:Black Hole's footnotes:

Yeah, some of those citations simply refer back to the original ones I believe, without adding new information. I know I went looking for that London Sunday Times article and couldn't find it. Have a lead on how to access it, Stephen?

The British Library will have a copy, as will the archives at the Sunday Times. Contact them.Of course, an exact date might be nice.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby MinM » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:01 am

bks wrote:If Tim Reiterman is right, Lane is very lucky to be alive, and Charles Garry had every reason to despise him.

I corresponded with Judge [back in 2009] during the time I was learning about the background of the People's Temple and Jones. We had a couple of rather lengthy email exchanges and at least one phone call. There was a lot in those exchanges to follow up, and I never did get around to confirming or disconfirming all of the key material.

The biggest point for me concerned Judge'ss claim about the British Black Watch troops he alleged were on hand to murder the survivors that fled into the jungle. I asked him if he could point me to the source for the claim he makes that the British troops. He told me the BBC contacted him about a special they were planning on Jonestown for the 20th anniversary. Their investigators, according to Judge, followed up on his leads and interviewed some of the Black Watch troops who revealed in a documentary that they were ordered to shoot to kill anyone attempting to escape the area through the woods, armed or not, and did kill people.

Did this documentary ever air? I don't know. It would have been in 1998, and I have never seen it. MinM?

I also asked Judge if there was any corroboration in either in the British press or elsewhere regarding the Black Watch unit.

He again referenced the BBC documentary, but said it was also reported in something called Soldier magazine, in an article called "Jocks in the Jungle".

Is anyone familiar with the that magazine, or seen that article? I could never track it down.

Not sure about those other docs, but the Citizen Lane doc is another curious case. It seems to have been made around 3-years ago but has yet to be released, as far as I can tell.

Mark Lane referenced it on Black Op Radio a few months ago just to explain some hoops they needed to jump through on his latest book, "Citizen Lane" ... Pauley Perrette owns the rights to that name so she had to sign off on the use of it for his autobiography.
# Show #580
Original airdate: May 31st, 2012
Guest: Mark Lane
Topics: Citizen Lane

Play Mark Lane (1:05:27) Real Media or MP3 download

# Last Word (2011), on the JFK assassination, Citizen Lane (2012), an autobiography
# Kirkus review, one book which turned into two, Citizen Lane covers Mark's career
# Actor and activist Martin Sheen wrote the forward to Citizen Lane
# Robert K. Tannenbaum wrote the introduction to Last Word
# The CIA lied about Oswald in Mexico City, to frame Oswald and hide the conspiracy
# Mark helped write the HSCA legislation, he met Deputy Counsel Bob Tannenbaum
# Key witness was David Atlee Phillips, Mark told Bob to ask Phillips for documentation
# Congress refused to cite Phillips for contempt, Tannenbaum then quit
# Bugliosi and his quoting FBI reports, a letter to Mark from Vince
# The CIA set Oswald up, Oswald was not in Mexico City
# Case Closed (1994), Posner wrote that Mark could have gotten Oswald acquitted
# In the Dreyfus affair France admitted it's mistake, our government has not
# The First Amendment, the most important single sentence in the history of America
# The administration is targeting terrorists, we've forgotten who we are, who we were
# Mark describes being warned about his own assassination by a man offered the job
# Pauley Perrette documentary about Mark, A Rush To Judgement preview

Mark Lane also appeared on Black Op Radio shows: #545,
#527, #502, #475, #464, #438, #416, #409, #386, #365 and #294

http://www.blackopradio.com/pod/black580.mp3
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby christs4sale » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:30 am

I have been looking into this issue for a long time now. You can see some of my clippings here:

http://www.worldwatchers.info/references/mark-lane/
http://www.worldwatchers.info/references/jonestown/

Anyone who has listened to Mae Brussell's broadcasts is no stranger to the idea of Lane being suspicious. I just recently read Barry Ernest's excellent book, The Girl on the Stairs, and he spoke with many of the key witnesses to the JFK assassination and many did not like how Lane treated what they told him.

I also have just read Lane's book on Jonestown called the Strongest Poison. I believe parts of it, particularly his refutation of Kathy Hunter and John Crewdson. On the other hand, he does not even bring up the issue of the note found at Jonestown from Terri Buford to Jim Jones about her and Lane using a false passport to bring Grace Walden down to Jonestown. Grace Walden did not go to Jonestown as far as I can tell and was definitely living as of the early 90s. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwoY5gNWLmU

The book Citizen Lane has very little information on Jonestown.
christs4sale

Postby MinM » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:05 pm

Image @PauleyP: I've been making a documentary on #MarkLane for 8 years Here's his new book amazon.com/dp/1613740018/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_PZj3rb0BTC2PK583 … Read 3rd page note
MinM

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:47 pm

IMO, Lane is one of those folks to just happen to be in the 'right place at the right time' rather a bit too coincidentally. I take him as a limited hangout guy, but YMMV.
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby MinM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:08 pm

Looks like they finally had the premier of Citizen Lane...
Image @PauleyP: Me #BobTanenbaum #MarkLane #DickGregory and @TheSteveJaffe at my #CitizenLane documentary screening

http://www.ctka.net/pr796-bti.html
MinM

Postby MinM » Wed May 11, 2016 10:50 pm

@WilliamDavy

Rush to Judgement author Mark Lane has passed away at 89.

Hugh Manatee Wins » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:44 pm wrote:Before you get weirded out by Mark Lane at Jonestown, don't forget that all of his books expose the CIA's crimes and an effort to embroil him in a discrediting operation is only to be expected.

His 1966 'Rush to Judgement' was a best seller and tore the cover off the Warren Commission bandaid over the gaping conspiracy.

In 1970 he published 'Conversations With Americans,' interviews with Vietnam vets and deserters describing how they were trained to torture and execute prisoners and did. This was at the time of the scapegoat trial of Lt. William Calley for the My Lai Massacre.

CIA-Life Magazine pre-empted Mark Lane's book with a meme-reversal article about Marines torturing Marines at Camp Pendleton.

So Lane is in no way an ally of The Man. More likely a target.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index ... opic=22840
MinM

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Tue May 31, 2016 6:23 pm

I've been on vacation the past few weeks, so I'm just now catching up on old news I missed. Really sorry to find out about this today.

The Death of Mark Lane
By James DiEugenio
Posted May 10, 2016

I finally understood the influence and reputation that the late Mark Lane had in America when I arrived in Pittsburgh for the Cyril Wecht Symposium at Duquesne in the fall of 2013. At the airport, I was picked up in a private car and driven to my hotel. The driver asked me what I was in town for. I replied a JFK conference on the 50th Anniversary at Duquesne. He asked me if Mark Lane was going to be there. I said yes he was. He replied that he wrote his first research paper back in college many years ago on the JFK case, and he used a lot of the work of Lane in doing it. He asked me to thank Lane for that inspiration. When I arrived at the hotel, I did see Mark and I conveyed the debt of gratitude from my driver.

After I did so I went up to my room and thought: Geez, there must be literally tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of people across America who feel that way about Lane. For the simple reason that Lane was literally the prime mover in the dissent movement against the official version of the Kennedy assassination. Within just three weeks of Kennedy’s death, Lane had issued the first legal arguments against the public stampede to condemn the memory of the accused assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald, who had been shot and killed by Jack Ruby while in the custody of the Dallas police. Lane wanted to publish his defendant’s brief in The Nation. But that liberal journal—and several other periodicals-- would not accept it. So he went to the even more leftist journal The National Guardian.

At that conference in Pittsburgh, there were a few copies of that original essay on a coffee table. Lane picked one up and said to me, “They had to print several reprints of this issue. They eventually sold a hundred thousand of them.” This was in mid-December of 1963, two weeks after the first meeting of the Warren Commission, when every major media outlet in America was accommodating leaks from people like Jerry Ford, J. Edgar Hoover and Allen Dulles about how compelling the case against Oswald was. But there was Mark Lane, the one attorney standing up for a dead man who was being walked over by every public and private institution in America.

Marguerite Oswald, mother of the murdered suspect, heard about Lane’s polemic. She wanted him to act as her murdered son’s defense advocate. But the Warren Commission would not allow it. When Lane forwarded his request to the Commission, Chief Counsel J. Lee Rankin wired back to him the following message: “The Commission does not believe that it would be useful or desirable to permit an attorney representing Lee Harvey Oswald to have access to the investigative materials within the possession of the Commission or to participate in any hearings to be conducted by the Commission.” (See Lane’s A Citizen’s Dissent, e-book version, Part 2, “The Great Silence.")

In fact, one of the many travesties of the Commission was that Oswald was not granted counsel throughout the ten-month legal procedure. In that respect, the proceeding was a runaway prosecution. Lane was allowed to appear before the Commission twice, once in March and once in July. These were clearly token, adversarial appearances. In fact, it is hard to find another witness who the Commission treated with such hostility. (Walt Brown, The Warren Omission, pgs. 243-45)

At around this time in 1964, Lane began to be surveilled by the FBI. Because he was doing JFK lectures abroad, he was also placed on the federal government’s “lookout list” for international air travel. Whenever Lane returned from abroad, the FBI was alerted he was back. (See Lane, op. cit) But beyond that, the FBI now began to interview certain radio hosts who had chosen to place Lane on the air. These Bureau visits resulted in Lane being banned from certain media outlets. And the buzz about those visits discouraged other outlets from having him on.

But Lane would not let up in his defense of Oswald. He then rented a theater in New York City and began to lecture there regularly, taking apart the evidence presented by the developing official story. With the funds attained by these talks, and his various lectures at home and abroad, Lane set up a Citizens’ Commission of Inquiry to collect evidence ignored by the FBI and the Warren Commission. Lane actually managed to appear on some rather widely distributed talk programs, like the one hosted by Merv Griffin.

He then began writing a book based upon the Warren Report and its accompanying 26 volumes of evidence. He could not find a publisher for his book in America. Therefore, Rush to Judgment was first published in England in 1966. It became so successful that it was later published in the U.S. and became a smashing bestseller. At a lecture at the 40th anniversary of Kennedy’s death, Lane said he later found out that the reason he could not find a domestic publisher was that the FBI was visiting publishing houses and discouraging them from publishing his work.

In 1967, Lane followed Rush to Judgment with a documentary film of the same title. This production was shot by famous film-maker Emile de Antonio. De Antonio made films on several controversial subjects like the demagogue Joseph McCarthy and the Vietnam War. He later said that in his entire career, he never met as many witnesses who were literally afraid for their lives to go on camera. Lane literally had to plead with and cajole people to come out of their homes. A few years after this documentary film, Lane worked on the story for a fictional film about the JFK case called "Executive Action." That film was released in 1973. It was directed by the veteran David Miller and featured some famous leading actors like Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, and Will Geer.

In 1967, Lane had worked for New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison during his two-year inquiry into the JFK case. Around 1975, after both the revelations of the Church Committee and the ABC showing of the Zapruder film had ignited outrage favoring a new investigation, Lane did two things to further that interest. First, he released a new documentary on the JFK case called "Two Men in Dallas," featuring local sheriff’s officer Roger Craig. Second, he restarted his grass roots Citizens’ Commission of Inquiry. He used that committee to lobby Congress to pass a resolution to reopen the Kennedy murder case. To put it mildly, Lane did not get along very well with the final Chief Counsel to the House Select Committee on Assassinations Robert Blakey.

In the 1980's, Lane decided to take on the appeal of a libel verdict against publisher Willis Carto, the Liberty Lobby and their controversial publication Spotlight. In 1981, Liberty Lobby had lost a $650,000 case judgment when Victor Marchetti had written in Spotlight that the CIA had to devise an alibi for their agent Howard Hunt being in Dallas on November 22, 1963. (Lane, Plausible Denial, pgs. 129-32) Through the help of his volunteer network and some fine sleuthing, Lane discovered that such a memo did exist. It had been prepared by CIA counter-intelligence chief James Angleton, and had been seen by journalist Joe Trento. And Trento had actually written about it. (ibid, pgs. 152-55) By his aggressive defense, Lane not only reversed the judgment, he actually convinced some of the jurors that the CIA was involved in the Kennedy assassination. (ibid, pgs. 320-323)

Lane wrote a book on the Howard Hunt case that was published in 1991. Called Plausible Denial, that book also became a best seller. It gave us harsh insights into CIA officers Hunt, Angleton, Richard Helms and David Phillips. Concerning the last, during a debate with Lane, Phillips actually said that when the entire record was declassified, there would be no evidence that Oswald was ever at the Soviet Embassy in Mexico City. (ibid, pgs. 75-87)

But that still wasn’t enough for Lane. In the new millennium, Lane published his final book on the JFK case called, eponymously, Last Word. In this book, Lane brought out another aspect of the case: the possible complicity of the Secret Service in the assassination. That book was promoted by various video trailers, during which Lane interviewed luminaries like former HSCA Deputy Counsel Robert Tanenbaum, film director Oliver Stone, and former Secret Service agent Abraham Bolden.

But the amazing thing about Lane is that there were still other aspects of his legal career, outside of the JFK case, that I have not even mentioned. For instance, for a time in the seventies, Lane served as attorney for the accused assassin of Martin Luther King, James Earl Ray. He also co-wrote a book on the King case with Dick Gregory called Code Name Zorro. Lane also took on the case of James Richardson. Richardson was a black man in the south who was indicted and convicted of killing his seven children. Through some extraordinary detective work—and with help from Gregory and Garrison assistant Steve Jaffe—Lane had Richardson freed after 21 years of unjust incarceration. He then wrote a book on that case called Arcadia. His book about the riotous—and ruinous—Chicago Democratic convention, called Chicago Eyewitness, makes for an interesting journal. Lane’s reports on this shocking event make it the ultimate crushing of youthful dissent in America and a turning point in history—which it was. In 2012 he summed up his tumultuous career with an autobiography called Citizen Lane. (Visit Lane's website for information on how to get Lane’s books.)

In spite of his other considerable achievements, Mark Lane will be forever linked to the JFK assassination. He was, quite literally, a pioneer, a trailblazer in the wilderness. In that dark year of 1964 when the Warren Commission was trying to keep everything quiet, while men like FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover were leaking rigged and false evidence to the papers, there was Mark Lane, speaking from his podium each night, to anyone who would listen.. He did this not just because it was his vocation, but because he had personally met President Kennedy when he was running for office in New York. Therefore, he kept up that crusade for the truth about Kennedy’s murder at a very high cost to himself.

As he wrote in his 1968 book A Citizen’s Dissent, he lost his one corporate client over the JFK case. He was then vilified by his opponents who seemed to have easy access to the press, which Lane did not come close to having. Warren Commission junior counsel Wesley Liebeler was actually going to run against him for his state legislative seat. Through it all, through his over more than five decades of dissent against the folly of the Warren Commission, Mark Lane never lost his fighting spirit or his dedication to his cause. He liked to say that the folly of the Commission had led to a national tragedy. Which it did. For both him and all of us.

Lane died at age 89 at his home in Charlottesville, Virginia, May 10. 2016. We are all a bit poorer for his passing. It signifies a milestone. Taps at Reveille.

For more remembrances of Mark Lane from Cyril Wecht, Bob Tanenbaum, Don Freed, Steve Jaffe, David Lifton, Joan Mellen, Joe McBride and John Barbour, listen to the BlackOp Radio installment below.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Previous

Return to General Discussion