The Brexit thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Brexit thread

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:57 am

Huh?
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Novem5er » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:01 am

FourthBase » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:42 am wrote:
JackRiddler » 21 Jun 2016 08:06 wrote:This is rough! I wouldn't want this choice. (Who would?) Of course it's binary nonsense. Distorted democracy at work, as usual. As a Greek, what's not to like about a blow against the EU that might facilitate Greece's escape from its stranglehold down the line? But the main force in the leave coalition is obviously not "left" but resides with the worst people politically, who will be empowered to go hog-wild and treat it as a big win for racism and anti-immigration. UK will lose the EU limits on hypercapitalism (which it has, alongside the neoliberal management) and no doubt go straight into TTIP and worse. I can see the argument that Cameron would want it, if only it didn't spell the end of Cameron's tenure. And Boris? I'll defer to the smart people here from the UK who are arguing against Brexit. Also, while personal impressions shouldn't over-figure, Corbyn's a lot easier for me trust than... Sanders!

Interesting window into your decision-making process, which turns out to be so devoid of principle that it's also just as interesting a window into your conniving commie soul.

An interesting window into why you have no friends . . .
Novem5er

Postby FourthBase » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:11 am

His choice was based on nothing but ideological loyalty and political gamesmanship. He's even willing to throw his hometown under the bus, after a reluctant shrug.
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:26 am

Yeah but you called Jack a "conniving commie soul". Why? There are three words contained in that snippet which have "loaded" shall we say, meanings. It reeks of contempt and not constructiveness (I don't know whether there is anything to construct though). Jack can be a dick fo shizz but he brings something to the fabled table that we gather around and break bread.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:08 pm

FourthBase » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:11 am wrote:

His choice was based on nothing but ideological loyalty and political gamesmanship. He's even willing to throw his hometown under the bus, after a reluctant shrug.

I always say, better to have a clueless blowhard call you a commie than have a commie call you a clueless blowhard.

The important thing is to always have one perspective. Never deviate. Condemn anyone who purports to consider more than one perspective. The latter is the depraved tradition of Western tolerance => communism => Muslim terrorism => Mexican takeover of United States => foreign fanatics extinguishing the noble tradition of Western tolerance.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby FourthBase » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Yeah but you called Jack a "conniving commie soul". Why? There are three words contained in that snippet which have "loaded" shall we say, meanings. It reeks of contempt and not constructiveness (I don't know whether there is anything to construct though). Jack can be a dick fo shizz but he brings something to the fabled table that we gather around and break bread.

Which of those three words is inapplicable? At least I'm conceding him a soul. Not a trivial concession, some have none. A propagandist's soul rather than a truthseeker's, but still.

You're right, I do feel contempt for Jack, deep contempt. Used to feel deep respect. Not so much of that anymore. Case in point, above. The gist as I perceive it: "Brexit could be a miracle of popular dissent that eventually leads to freedom from EU tyranny for my beloved, beleaguered, hopeless homeland, but I'd rather not see any right wing assholes ever feel confident and I'd rather not see a single state reject the economic control of a centralized international government and I'd rather follow the lead of the leader with the purest ideological bona fides." Am I wrong, lol?
FourthBase

Postby FourthBase » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:32 pm

I'm not wrong, am I.
Worst case? I'm just an asshole.

I have enough friends.
I'm here for truth now, not fellowship.
FourthBase

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:34 pm

FourthBase » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:23 am wrote:

Which of those three words is inapplicable? At least I'm conceding him a soul. Not a trivial concession, some have none. A propagandist's soul rather than a truthseeker's, but still.

You're right, I do feel contempt for Jack, deep contempt. Used to feel deep respect. Not so much of that anymore. Case in point, above. The gist as I perceive it: "Brexit could be a miracle of popular dissent that eventually leads to freedom from EU tyranny for my beloved, beleaguered, hopeless homeland, but I'd rather not see any right wing assholes ever feel confident and I'd rather not see a single state reject the economic control of a centralized international government and I'd rather follow the lead of the leader with the purest ideological bona fides." Am I wrong, lol?

Why? Why incite shit? Everyone knows "commie" is an insult that holds no credence to just about everything there is under the sun. It shows a lack of knowledge of history.
82_28

Postby NeonLX » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Or we can own the "commie" label. I'm good at owning shit like that. Even though I'm more like a social libertarian with a heap of whatever it is that Iceland has. Call me what you want; it's been done before.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:54 pm

For the first time ever I am sorely tempted to change my avatar.

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby FourthBase » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:11 pm

82_28 » 21 Jun 2016 11:34 wrote:
FourthBase » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:23 am wrote:

Why? Why incite shit? Everyone knows "commie" is an insult that holds no credence to just about everything there is under the sun. It shows a lack of knowledge of history.

Nope, it shows a remembrance of history that gets forgotten by non-commie liberals. Communists are a reality. Their existence is not just a reactionary fever dream or a PTB puppet show or a vanished legend of the past. Some actual human beings are actually dedicated communists. You're rjght, the nickname brings it up to an obnoxious level of flippancy. I'm an asshole. You know what it stands for, though, right? Jack is a communist. Whatever arcane hyperintellectual subcategory he wants to put himself in, he's still a communist by any non-communist non-hair-splitting reasonable estimation. He's not a tankie, of course, that kind of communist is so boring and tacky, but 50 years ago his positions on pretty much everything probably would have just so happened to align with those of the Soviet Union. His mind is nimble, but it's still the property of an ideological cult. He might as well be a Scientologist, the cool and interesting kind who declare freedom from the church...and who still use e-meters and read Hubbard like scripture and proselytize for "literacy", etc.
FourthBase

Postby American Dream » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:20 pm

FourthBase » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:11 pm wrote: He's not a tankie, of course, that kind of communist is so boring and tacky, but 50 years ago his positions on pretty much everything probably would have just so happened to align with those of the Soviet Union.

This is shockingly ignorant. Even for FourthBase.
American Dream

Postby FourthBase » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:52 pm

This is shockingly ignorant. Even for FourthBase.

Sure. Which is why it was so easy for you to pinpoint why with a pithy substantive explanation. Oh, wait, no, you just farted an empty normative judgment.
FourthBase

Postby coffin_dodger » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:55 pm

American Dream wrote:This is shockingly ignorant. Even for FourthBase.

But then, anyone who disagrees with you is shockingly ignorant, right?
I blame it on apoxia - suffered at lofty, air-thinningly high altitudes of the uber-correct.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby American Dream » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:05 pm

Whatever the result of the Brexit referendum on Thursday, of one thing we can be sure: Britain will neither be invaded by marauding Turks, as anti-EU campaigners suggest might happen if the country votes ‘Yes’, nor will Western civilization collapse, as EU president Donald Tusk fears after a ‘No’ vote. There will undoubtedly be economic and political turbulence, but Britain will not be staring into the abyss, however it votes.

But, if the world will not end for Britain, neither will the key issues at the heart of the Brexit debate have been resolved – or even properly addressed. Hostility to the EU, not just in Britain, but throughout Europe, has been driven by frustrations about democracy and resentment about immigration. The Remain (pro-EU) campaign, recognizing that it has few answers, has largely avoided both issues, focusing almost entirely on economic arguments. Leave (anti-EU) campaigners have been equally opportunistic in the way they have addressed questions of democracy and immigration.

Many EU supporters dismiss the charge that the EU is undemocratic, pointing to the existence of the European parliament whose members are elected by all EU citizens. This is not only to overstate the influence of MEPs on policy making, it is also to miss the point about popular resentment. The reason that people see the EU as undemocratic is not because they don’t think they can vote in EU elections. It is because that they feel that despite their vote, they have little say in the major decisions that shape their lives.

Any Parliament has to represent a particular demos. There is, though, no European demos. The EU is an attempt to create a demos from top down, where none exists from bottom up. That is why people feel little sense of the European Parliament as representative, and resent the bureaucratic process through which policy is made.

Other EU supporters argue that without such an elitist project it would be impossible to respond effectively to major crises such as climate change or global recession. This at least has the merit being honest in accepting that the value of the EU lies in its ability to bypass democratic process in the name of the greater good.

The trouble is, whenever the EU has faced a major crisis, it has not only failed to respond in a coherent fashion, but its eventual incoherent response has rarely enhanced the common good. During the Eurozone crisis, the EU prevaricated for months, before undercutting democracy in Greece through the imposition of the ‘troika’, comprising the European Commission, the European Central Bank, and the IMF, which effectively took control of economic and social policy, and enforced an eye-watering austerity programme, including slashing pensions, cutting wages, raising taxes, laying off workers and privatising swathes of the economy, the aim of which was to bail out not Greece but the European banks that had lent to Greece.

Or consider the migration crisis. After months of political paralysis, the EU eventually responded – by absolving itself of responsibility. It stitched together a series of deals with non-EU countries such as Turkey, Sudan, Jordan and Niger, promising them huge sums of money for detaining potential migrants to the EU. Sickened by the immorality of these deals, the charity Médecins Sans Frontières last week refused all EU funding, observing that it could not take money ‘from institutions and governments whose policies do so much harm’

The EU’s consistent failure in the face of such crises is not because it is shackled by the democratic process, as some suggest, but because it lacks a democratic mandate for its decisions, and so is often politically paralyzed.

More at: https://kenanmalik.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... it-debate/
American Dream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion