The Brexit thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Brexit thread

Postby slimmouse » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks for the Pilger piece SLAD. I wonder how many people understand his side of the coin, when all you will ever hear from the MSM ( Thanks for the reminder above CD) is the absolute fearmongering about an exit, being touted on just about every TV screen the Western world over.

If that doesnt speak enough to anyone at RI about how the Control system views this, then I don't know what does.

I do fear retribution for you guys still in the UK. We need more exiters, and the sooner the better, because as most of us understand around this board, things are probably going to get a lot worse before they get better, and therefore lets get on with it.

Edited to add. Thanks also to those who have noted that this Brexit thing is
actually far from over yet.

Rust never sleeps
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Harvey » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:59 pm

slimmouse » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:19 pm wrote:I do fear retribution for you guys still in the UK.

We'll be fine. In a very real sense we've been doing this for a few thousand years.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:22 pm

Nordic » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:21 am wrote:This is good. H/t Willow

Brilliant. Thanks. I had never heard of this guy before.

"The Hamptons are not a defensible position." :lol:
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:48 pm

Ah yes, you poor endangered white men of England, now that UKIP's supposed victory has set off a wave of hate crimes against... immigrants and foreigners. Make sure you portray this as the exact opposite of what it is. (Pretty soon three drunk hooligans murdering some unlucky brown-skinned person on the street will also be a Crisis Actor Production ordered by the Soros-Globalists, at least for some of you here on RI.)

Not that I should care too much what you lot think.

===

Getting back to actual events in the world -- the world of capitalist civilization in crisis:

The racist element was at the forefront of the Leave campaign, as all but the racists in denial can see (since it was explicit). But victory for Brexit would have been impossible if the establishment motherfuckers had not all united so clearly in favor of Remain (something that also had me leaning Lexit until a few days ago, not that my opinion matters to the outcome either way).

Leave would have never won without 36 years of neoliberalism under Thatcher, Blair, Brown and Cameron robbing the English working people of all hope (although those in Scotland and Northern Ireland obviously developed a different opinion of the EU!).

The neoliberals, interestingly, are always at their most dangerous and usually most effective at their points of maximum failure. They really take the motto of "never let a good crisis go to waste" seriously.

As we saw after 2008 (when even most of the demented punditariat conceded a "failure of neoliberalism,") neoliberals are especially good at exploiting neoliberal-caused crises to initiate new round of neoliberal prescriptions. They hold a pretty thorough hegemony -- at this point as the reflex ideology -- over interpretation.

Thus, somewhere in Alasdair Campbell land, Leave is now supposed to be Corbyn's fault, for not being strong enough in support of Remain. This would have been the story no matter what Corbyn did, short of immediate self-murder. Logically enough the Blairites, who are actually responsible for having created ideal conditions for the Leave vote, are using this moment to attempt a coup d'etat against Corbyn in the Labour Party.

Benn kicked it off (what a disgrace to the father), Corbyn sacked him as shadow foreign minister, and since then another 10 or more have resigned their shadow posts and are calling for a vote of no-confidence of the Labour parliamentary group. The Guardian and The Telegraph are both a-howling.

LABOUR PARTY LEADER JEREMY CORBYN MP HAS JUST RELEASED THIS STATEMENT:

“Our country faces a huge challenge following Thursday’s vote to leave the European Union. And the British people have a right to know how their elected leaders are going to respond.

“We need to come together to heal the divisions exposed by the vote. We have to respect the decision that has been made, hold the government to democratic account over its response, and ensure that working people don’t pay the price of exit.

“Neither wing of the Tory government has an exit plan. Labour will now ensure that our reform agenda is at the heart of the negotiations that lie ahead. That includes the freedom to shape our economy for the future and the necessity of protecting social and employment rights.

“One clear message from last Thursday’s vote is that millions of people feel shut out of a political and economic system that has let them down and scarred our country with grotesque levels of inequality.

“I was elected by hundreds of thousands of Labour Party members and supporters with an overwhelming mandate for a different kind of politics.

“I regret there have been resignations today from my shadow cabinet. But I am not going to betray the trust of those who voted for me – or the millions of supporters across the country who need Labour to represent them.

“Those who want to change Labour’s leadership will have to stand in a democratic election, in which I will be a candidate.

“Over the next 24 hours I will reshape my shadow cabinet and announce a new leadership team to take forward Labour’s campaign for a fairer Britain – and to get the best deal with Europe for our people.”

I like this guy. Seriously. He's having none of the bullshit about voting again until the plebs get it right. It is exactly the right time to use the outcome to negotiate out of the neoliberalism imposed by both the Westminster and the Brussels elites. Seems to me like a perfect election strategy -- if he can survive the Blairite onslaught within his own party.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:27 pm

https://urpe.wordpress.com/2016/06/25/the-day-after-james-galbraith-on-brexit/

The Day After: James Galbraith on Brexit

Posted on June 25, 2016 by davidmfields

By James Galbraith

The groundwork for the Brexit debacle was laid last July when Europe crushed the last progressive pro-European government the EU is likely to see – the SYRIZA government elected in Greece in January 2015. Most Britons were not directly engaged with the Greek trauma. Many surely looked askance at the Greek leaders. But they must have noticed how Europe talked down to Greece, how it scolded its officials, how it dictated terms and how it made rebellious country into an example, so that no one else would ever be tempted to follow the same path.

If the destruction of Greece helped set the tone, Leave won by turning the British referendum into an ugly expression of English nativism, feeding on the frustrations of a deeply unequal nation, ironically divided by the very forces of reaction and austerity that will now come fully to power. The political effect has sent a harsh message to Europeans living in Britain, and to the many who would have liked to come. The economic effect will leave Britain in the hands of simpletons who believe that deregulation is the universal source of growth.

That such a campaign could prevail – leading soon to a hard right government in Britain – testifies to the high-handed incompetence of the political, financial, British and European elites. Remain ran a campaign of fear, condescension and bean-counting, as though Britons cared only about the growth rate and the pound. And the Remain leaders seemed to believe that such figures as Barack Obama, George Soros, Christine Lagarde, a list of ten Nobel-prize-winning economists or the research department of the IMF carried weight with the British working class.

Since nothing happens, at first, except the start of negotiations, the immediate economic effects may be small. If the drop in sterling lasts, British exports may actually benefit. If the world gets skittish, the dollar will rise and US exports may suffer, with possible political consequences in America this fall. Otherwise, in the most likely case, the markets will settle down and British life will continue normally at first – except, of course, for immigrants. This will further give the lie to the scare campaign.

Over time, however, as they apply to the United Kingdom, the structures of EU law, regulation, fiscal transfers, open commerce, open borders and human rights built over four decades will now be eroded. Exactly how this will happen – by what process of negotiation, with what retribution from the spurned powers in Brussels and Berlin, by what combination of slow change and abrupt acts, with what consequences for the Union of Scotland to England – is clearly unknown to the leaders of the Leave campaign. This morning they appeared on British television in equal parts triumphant and clueless.

And the crisis now erupts everywhere in Europe: in Holland and France, but also in Spain and Italy, as well as in Germany, Finland and the East. If the hard right can rise in Britain, it can rise anywhere. If Britain can exit, so can anyone; neither the EU nor the Euro is irrevocable. And most likely, since the apocalyptic predictions of economic collapse and “Lehman on steroids” that preceded the Brexit referendum will not come true, such warnings will be even less credible when heard the next time.

The European Union has sowed the wind. It may reap the whirlwind. Unless it moves, and quickly, not merely to assert a hollow “unity” but to deliver a democratic, accountable, and realistic New Deal – or something very much like it – for all Europeans.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby tapitsbo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Why are SYRIZA who capitulated to the IMF, EU, etc. So progressive exactly? I can't be the only one wondering. Varoufakis who wasn't exactly successful in defending his country from these predators is busy lecturing Brits now, I see.
tapitsbo

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:19 pm

Galbraith wrote what he wrote. Varoufakis was pushed out. So were 40 other Syriza MPs who resisted the capitulation.

The rest of the Syriza MPs capitulated and I didn't support that. They promised something progressive, and then gave up, betrayed what they said, or turned to be lying. (That sucks, but unlike UKIP or Le Pen, they never promised to be regressive and racist and to scapegoat immigrants for what capitalism has wrought. Unfortunately these others do not appear to be lying.)

JackRiddler

Postby KUAN » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:47 pm

Ah yes, you poor endangered white men of England,

We all are if we have the time to be on a computer
KUAN

Postby KUAN » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:48 am

the fkn Hegelian dialectic again
KUAN

Postby Harvey » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:49 am

The 'racist idiots' did it argument is easy and fashionable certainly but does it explain the scale of the vote? Of course it doesn't for obvious reasons, I hope the positive arguments can emerge from beneath the recrimination and it certainly is heartening to see Corbyn unruffled by it all, it looks like he gave them enough rope... I may be wrong but didn't the Blairites just putsch themselves?
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby justdrew » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:06 am

a vote of such consequence should require more than a bare majority to win. :shrug:
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Nordic » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:09 am

justdrew » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:06 am wrote:a vote of such consequence should require more than a bare majority to win. :shrug:

Why? Did it take a massive supermajority to enter the EU in the first place?
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby kool maudit » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:19 am

Racism has kind of become the ur-issue, hasn't it?
kool maudit

Postby slimmouse » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:23 am

Nordic wrote:Why? Did it take a massive supermajority to enter the EU in the first place?

Nah. Just the usual plethera of lies and superBS promoted by the usual crowd. Better jobs, more trade, easier life, blah blah blah.

My question is do we need to be joined at the hip by beurocracy in order for countries to get along with each other, to which the answer is obvious. Of course we dont, providing we dont allow psycopaths to rule us.

At KM. Well of course racism is promoted by facists, who, as we are all to well aware of round here are tools of the state, generally defined around the west as the democratically elected government, but more aptly understood as pyscopathic tools of Corporations and Bankers, for whom incessant warfare amidst mankind is something of a warped priority
slimmouse

Postby slimmouse » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:58 am

just as an aside, to show my true flag-waving nature;

I notice that England play Iceland tonight in the European soccer championship round of 16.

Im a keen England soccer fan, and yet the large part of me will be rooting for Iceland.
slimmouse

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion