I am currently watching television programmes

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: I am currently watching television programmes

Postby DrEvil » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:37 am

On the topic of reality TV, a more on-the-nose take is the British show 'Dead Set'. It takes place in the Big Brother house during a zombie apocalypse. Really good, but very gory, so be warned.

Just started watching the new Netflix series 'Stranger Things', a homage to 80's horror movies. It has everything: horny teenagers, a monster, government experiments, nosy kids who play Dungeons & Dragons, synth music and Winona Ryder. I'm really liking it so far.

I also recently finished the Italian show 'Romanzo Criminale'. Very, very good. It's about a group of small-time crooks in Rome in the late 70's. They decide to join forces and take over Rome. Along the way they bump into the Mafia, fascists and the deep state. Aldo Mori, P2 and false flags are all in there.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Novem5er » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:31 am

Stranger Things has been pretty darn good. We are four episodes in and I'm thinking about making a thread for it in General Discussion due to some very RI themes running through the show. I'm catching some Johnny Gosch and some Franklin Scandal undertones (not satanic sex stuff, but child experimentation. Without spoilers, MK-ULTRA was literally named-dropped in an episode and there's some other psi-happenings going on. If enough people here watch the show, I think it'd make for a good discussion. BTW the 80's was a scary fucking time to be a kid.
Novem5er

Postby 82_28 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Holy shit, Stranger Things is intense. A little rough around the edges but seem to be by design. They definitely spent quite a bit to load it with period props and cars. Good shit. Will commence torrenting ep2. Thanks for the heads up.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby DrEvil » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:27 pm

Just finished it. All 8 episodes are out (God bless Netflix) and I loved every second of it. Stranger Things is now officially my favorite show since Fargo.
DrEvil

Postby Novem5er » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:51 pm

My wife and I have two episodes left (we've been taking it two a night this week). I love it and just likes it enough. We had different childhoods, and mine literally was spent riding bikes and hiking through woods with other boys and being scared shitless over everything the News told us to be scared shitless of, but not too scared to actually admit it and turn back home. My wife had actual reasons to be scared as a child (broken home).

People are still watching this and hopefully others will start, so I don't want to put any spoilers out there, but I think there's a lot of that us RIers can appreciate, beyond just the entertainment value of the show.
Novem5er

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:15 am

Jesus. Just got through episode 4. RI peeps gotta watch this so we can talk about it.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Alright 6 in of Stranger Things and I just want to send a warning that this series will probably be triggering for some. It's good and worth watching. BUT TRIGGER WARNING HERE TO THE MAX.
82_28

Postby Novem5er » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:11 pm

That's something I never thought about! Yes, Trigger Warnings for some people, unfortunately. I am also six episodes in and am bemoaning the fact that I only have two left. We've been watching two a night, so far, but my wife went to bed early tonight, so I'm left hanging! Tomorrow we'll watch the final two episodes.
Novem5er

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:09 pm

Damn and you turned me onto it! I lapped you, B. Finished already as for myself. So the final episode, what happens is. . . Scroll down.

Just kidding.
82_28

Postby Novem5er » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:46 pm

LOL - I'm jonesing, for real. My poor wife got sick and had to go to bed early, but made me promise not to watch it . . . urg, these vows of ours!

I ended up watching episode 2 of "The Night Of", a crime drama on HBO, which is okay so far.
Novem5er

Postby stefano » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:39 am

Stranger Things looks great, thanks.

We finished The Night Manager last night, highly recommended. Beautiful photography, tight plot, great characters. Very Le Carré in all the ways that matter - the focus on how all these things are, ultimately, about relationships between people: the arms deals and the Whitehall cover-ups and the secret agents. One plot hole disappointed me - that no-one at the Nefertiti remembers Pine? And where did he get a dry pair of pants? And Hugh Laurie as Roper didn't always work. He's objectively good but his face, and his expressions sometimes, are still those of George off Blackadder. Olivia Colman absolutely kills it in her role though, wow. Tom Hiddleston's also very good.

I dig the title sequence, too:

stefano

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:41 am

I haven't seen any mention of Preacher. I caught some previews before it aired but have never watched an episode. Looks pretty violent. Perhaps trigger warnings are warranted.

This is pretty gross. Be warned!

Iamwhomiam

Postby DrEvil » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:00 pm

I'm enjoying Preacher so far. Very violent at times (same channel that makes the Walking Dead. Not quite as gruesome, but pretty damn gory in places), but pretty funny in places too. The motel room fight is brilliant (you'll know it when you see it).

And for those who have read the comic books: yes, a certain gunslinger is in it. :yay

I also have to plug Game of Thrones a bit. It really is a damn good show, and the last two episodes of season 6 were absolutely amazing. Unless you have a psychotic aversion to fantasy I highly recommend it.

Edit: another great thing about Preacher: Tom Cruise explodes in it.
DrEvil

Postby Novem5er » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:31 pm

Yes, Game of Thrones; the season 6 finale was probably the best finale they've made so far!

And just finished Stranger Things. Good stuff; it wrapped up the major story lines, but also left room for a second season. The show creators have more material for a second season and are absolutely ready to go, but Netflix has not officially given them the green light. It's been pretty popular online and well-reviewed so I am sure it will be given the go.
Novem5er

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:36 am

Yeah definitely open for a second season. I will say I am a bad boy. I torrented it. So I am not helping matters. I absolve myself though because I paid for like four years of Netflix and maybe used it a dozen times.

I've gotten some friends interested in it and they don't like scary movies so they're hesitant to watch it. I told them it's not really scary. It's more creepy. Like an ET meets Poltergeist meets X-Files meets Donnie Darko. I said it's not for young kids really because the protagonists are all young. Anyway, sounds like your wife must be doing better. :thumbsup
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie