"Suicides" and "accidents" - The official RI thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: "Suicides" and "accidents" - The official RI thread

Postby brekin » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:47 pm

It does. I thought of the Bush family nanny or servant who died under similar circumstances, rolling car crushing her against a driveway wall or something if I recall. So maybe that is a method used. But it seems more than a little iffy, especially with a supposed design flaw for that model. It just seems like there are so many variables, it happening outside would seem to bring more chances of witnesses, and I would guess his house would have to have some video survellience as the tech is so cheap & available now. And are people there on site facilitating this? Also I haven't seen any motives so far. Not that there couldn't be hundreds, it's just we all die, even young successful actors, so that alone isn't a red flag. One thing I haven't heard is anything about this guys relationships other than Russian parents. Would be good to know what scenes he traveled in and significant others.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PufPuf93 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:05 pm

Back when we were in our 20s (1970s), I had a friend whose sister did not die but was very messed up permanently because, when she got out to close a gate on their rural driveway, the pickup truck rolled backward and pinned her against the gate. She was there several hours and her husband found her nearly dead when he got home. She lived but was in a wheel chair and then "graduated" to a walker over time. She wasn't yet 25 years old and had two small children (fortunately not with her at time of the accident). :cry:
PufPuf93

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby brekin » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:41 pm

PufPuf93 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:05 pm wrote:Back when we were in our 20s (1970s), I had a friend whose sister did not die but was very messed up permanently because, when she got out to close a gate on their rural driveway, the pickup truck rolled backward and pinned her against the gate. She was there several hours and her husband found her nearly dead when he got home. She lived but was in a wheel chair and then "graduated" to a walker over time. She wasn't yet 25 years old and had two small children (fortunately not with her at time of the accident). :cry:

Horrible. There are news stories occasionally of people being injured/killed by cars coming out of park so it isn't out of the realm of possibility.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby divideandconquer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:47 pm

brekin » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:41 pm wrote:
PufPuf93 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:05 pm wrote:Back when we were in our 20s (1970s), I had a friend whose sister did not die but was very messed up permanently because, when she got out to close a gate on their rural driveway, the pickup truck rolled backward and pinned her against the gate. She was there several hours and her husband found her nearly dead when he got home. She lived but was in a wheel chair and then "graduated" to a walker over time. She wasn't yet 25 years old and had two small children (fortunately not with her at time of the accident). :cry:

Horrible. There are news stories occasionally of people being injured/killed by cars coming out of park so it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

It is horrible and this type of thing does happen.

However, I wouldn't completely rule out Lindsay Lohan's suspicions. We know what they do to people who do not follow the program: they ruin them one way or another. After learning Britney Murphy's story, I always question--What did he or she do to piss off the powerful?--when the media trashes a celebrity, focuses in on an "out of control" actress, actor, politician, professional athlete, etc.,
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby brekin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:44 pm

divideandconquer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:47 pm wrote:

However, I wouldn't completely rule out Lindsay Lohan's suspicions. We know what they do to people who do not follow the program: they ruin them one way or another. After learning Britney Murphy's story, I always question--What did he or she do to piss off the powerful?--when the media trashes a celebrity, focuses in on an "out of control" actress, actor, politician, professional athlete, etc.,

Sure, but without anything further we really can't say either way.

Here is the story of the Bush family's nanny/babysitter who was crushed by her parked car at their residence:

October 10 , 2003, 1200 PDT, (FTW) -- WASHINGTON, At around 9 PM on September 29, Fairfax County, Virginia police responded to a 911 call describing an accident. However, they soon discovered they were not dealing with a routine emergency but the mysterious death of an employee of the 47-year old brother of President George W. Bush, venture capitalist Marvin Bush. Sixty-two year old Bertha Champagne, described as a long time "baby sitter" for Marvin and Margaret Bush's two children, son Walker, 13, and daughter Marshall, 17, was found crushed to death by her own vehicle in a driveway in front of the Bush family home in the Alexandria section of Fairfax County. Champagne reportedly lived at the Bush family home.

Champagne had left the residence to retrieve something from her car, which police say had somehow been left in gear. According to the police report, the car rolled forward and pinned the woman between it and a small building next to the driveway (possibly a checkpoint built by the Secret Service when Marvin's father, George H. W. Bush, was president). The car crossed Edgehill Drive, a small street in front of the Bush compound. The vehicle then crossed a busy two-lane street, Fort Hunt Road, finally coming to rest in a wooded area across the street that adjoins the prestigious Belle Haven Country Club. No explanations have been offered as to why the vehicle did not move until Champagne was in a position to be crushed.

Champagne was pronounced dead on arrival at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital. Courtney Young, a spokesperson for the Fairfax County police was surprised when asked about the circumstances surrounding Champagne's death. She indicated the media was primarily focused on another Fairfax County story, the kidnapping and holdup of the wife of New Hampshire Senator Judd Gregg on October 7. More mystifying is the fact that the Washington Post waited almost an entire week to publish the story about the baby sitter's death. The incident occurred on September 29, but the Post did not report it until October 5 and buried it on page 3 of the Metro section. Nevertheless, the Washington Post was the only media outlet to cover the story at all. Young said police still did not know the exact cause of Champagne's death.

(Champagne's car pinned her against the security structure on the right)

Young said the police had posted the incident on its web site in a press release, although the report makes no mention of Marvin Bush. It reads:

A 62-year-old Alexandria area woman died after being pinned between a rolling car and a building. The crash happened on Monday, around 9 pm, near the intersection of Fort Hunt Road and Edgehill Drive. Bertha Champagne had gone outside to get something from a car in a driveway. The car, which was left in gear, began to roll forward. Champagne was pinned between the car and a small building next to the driveway. The car continued to roll down the driveway, crossed Fort Hunt Road, and came to rest in a wooded area. Champagne was taken to Inova Mount Vernon Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The press release is dated September 30 at 1330 (1:30 PM), some sixteen and a half hours after the incident occurred. The police were well aware of Marvin Bush's controversial role in serving on corporate boards for companies associated with the 911 terrorist attacks, however, they emphasized that Champagne's death was merely a quirky accident and no foul play was involved.

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/w ... death.html
brekin

Postby km artlu » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:53 pm

Good sleuthing of related content there brekin.
I have difficulty imagining how a car pins a body against a structure and then continues rolling down an incline.
km artlu

Postby divideandconquer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:44 pm

brekin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:44 pm wrote:
divideandconquer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:47 pm wrote:

Sure, but without anything further we really can't say either way.

Here is the story of the Bush family's nanny/babysitter who was crushed by her parked car at their residence:

October 10 , 2003, 1200 PDT, (FTW) -- WASHINGTON, At around 9 PM on September 29, Fairfax County, Virginia police responded to a 911 call describing an accident. However, they soon discovered they were not dealing with a routine emergency but the mysterious death of an employee of the 47-year old brother of President George W. Bush, venture capitalist Marvin Bush. Sixty-two year old Bertha Champagne, described as a long time "baby sitter" for Marvin and Margaret Bush's two children, son Walker, 13, and daughter Marshall, 17, was found crushed to death by her own vehicle in a driveway in front of the Bush family home in the Alexandria section of Fairfax County. Champagne reportedly lived at the Bush family home.

Champagne had left the residence to retrieve something from her car, which police say had somehow been left in gear. According to the police report, the car rolled forward and pinned the woman between it and a small building next to the driveway (possibly a checkpoint built by the Secret Service when Marvin's father, George H. W. Bush, was president). The car crossed Edgehill Drive, a small street in front of the Bush compound. The vehicle then crossed a busy two-lane street, Fort Hunt Road, finally coming to rest in a wooded area across the street that adjoins the prestigious Belle Haven Country Club. No explanations have been offered as to why the vehicle did not move until Champagne was in a position to be crushed.

Champagne was pronounced dead on arrival at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital. Courtney Young, a spokesperson for the Fairfax County police was surprised when asked about the circumstances surrounding Champagne's death. She indicated the media was primarily focused on another Fairfax County story, the kidnapping and holdup of the wife of New Hampshire Senator Judd Gregg on October 7. More mystifying is the fact that the Washington Post waited almost an entire week to publish the story about the baby sitter's death. The incident occurred on September 29, but the Post did not report it until October 5 and buried it on page 3 of the Metro section. Nevertheless, the Washington Post was the only media outlet to cover the story at all. Young said police still did not know the exact cause of Champagne's death.

(Champagne's car pinned her against the security structure on the right)

Young said the police had posted the incident on its web site in a press release, although the report makes no mention of Marvin Bush. It reads:

A 62-year-old Alexandria area woman died after being pinned between a rolling car and a building. The crash happened on Monday, around 9 pm, near the intersection of Fort Hunt Road and Edgehill Drive. Bertha Champagne had gone outside to get something from a car in a driveway. The car, which was left in gear, began to roll forward. Champagne was pinned between the car and a small building next to the driveway. The car continued to roll down the driveway, crossed Fort Hunt Road, and came to rest in a wooded area. Champagne was taken to Inova Mount Vernon Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The press release is dated September 30 at 1330 (1:30 PM), some sixteen and a half hours after the incident occurred. The police were well aware of Marvin Bush's controversial role in serving on corporate boards for companies associated with the 911 terrorist attacks, however, they emphasized that Champagne's death was merely a quirky accident and no foul play was involved.

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/w ... death.html

Wow! Everything about the death of the Bush family's nanny/babysitter sounds suspicious as hell. Wonder what she witnessed/knew/threatened...
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby cptmarginal » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:29 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-lotte ... 1102Z?il=0

Lotte vice chairman found dead amid probe; suicide suspected

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:30am EDT

By Hyunjoo Jin and Se Young Lee | SEOUL

One of the top executives at South Korea's Lotte Group was found dead on Friday, a suspected suicide, hours before he was to be questioned by prosecutors conducting a criminal probe into the country's fifth-largest conglomerate.

Lotte Group confirmed the death of Vice Chairman Lee In-won, which comes after the group was riven by a family succession feud last year and subjected in June to widespread raids by government prosecutors.

Lee had been with the group for 43 years and was the most senior executive outside the Shin family that controls the conglomerate, or chaebol. He was a longtime CEO of Lotte Shopping (023530.KS), one of the group's biggest businesses.

The police said Lee's body was found on Friday morning under a tree along a walking and cycling path near Seoul. They said he had left home around 10 p.m. on Thursday. A four-page note was found in the executive's car parked nearby.

An autopsy showed Lee's death appeared to be a "typical case of death by hanging," which appeared to be suicide, police said.

"When I arrived after the call, the deceased was lying down, crouched here," Hyung Dae-ryong, Seojong precinct police station chief, told reporters gathered at the site.

The deceased, wearing shorts and a black windbreaker, appeared to have hung himself from a tree with a necktie, Hyung told reporters.

A photographer points at where the body of Lotte Group Vice Chairman Lee In-won was found in Yangpyeong, South Korea, August 26, 2016. Choi Hyun-kyu/News1 via REUTERS

A maroon umbrella with the Lotte logo was found nearby.

Lee was the top lieutenant of Chairman Shin Dong-bin, who last year saw off a bitter challenge from his older brother for control of the group founded in 1948 in Japan as a maker of chewing gum by their father, Shin Kyuk-ho, who is now 93.

"He (Lee) oversaw Lotte Group's overall housekeeping and core businesses and accurately understood the minds of Chairman-in-Chief Shin Kyuk-ho and Chairman Shin Dong-bin to be carried out well in subsidiary companies," Lotte Group said in a statement.

Lee was also engaged in finding new growth opportunities for Lotte, the group said.

A prosecution team of about 200 people raided Lotte offices in June, looking into a possible slush fund as well as breach of trust involving transactions among the group's companies, sources said at the time.

Lee, who was 69, had been scheduled to appear before prosecutors on Friday morning, a Lotte official said.

A South Korean prosecutor, who declined to be identified by name, expressed condolences for Lee's death and said prosecutors planned to reconsider the schedule for the ongoing probe.

INVESTIGATION SETBACK

Park Ju-gun, head of corporate analysis firm CEO Score, said Lee's death was likely to hamper the investigation.

"Lee's standing within Lotte was almost on par with that of the owner family members," he said.

The investigation into Lotte had already exacted a devastating toll on its business, which ranges from hotels to retail to chemicals. Its Hotel Lotte unit was forced in June to shelve an initial public offering to raise up to 5.27 trillion won ($4.73 billion), which would have made it the world's largest this year.

Also in June, its Lotte Chemical Corp (011170.KS) unit withdrew from bidding for U.S.-based Axiall Corp AXLL.N, citing its difficulties in South Korea. Rival Westlake Chemical Corp (WLK.N) ended up with a $2.33 billion deal for Axiall.

($1 = 1,113.3500 won)

(Additional reporting by Hyun-young Yi, Nataly Pak and Yun Hwan Chae; Writing by Tony Munroe; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-lotte ... SKCN1140XH

Loyal to a fault: Lotte probe exposes flaws of Korea Inc

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:05am EDT

By Joyce Lee and Hyunjoo Jin | SEOUL

Loyalty has been a driving force in the success of South Korea's family-run "chaebol" conglomerates, but it can also shield the failings of its corporate culture and on Friday was linked to tragedy at the Lotte Group, the subject of a sweeping criminal probe.

Hours before group vice chairman Lee In-won was to be questioned by prosecutors, he was found dead in an apparent suicide, leaving a note hailing his boss as a "great man" and denying the company operated a slush fund, reportedly one of a list of prosecutors' suspicions that includes embezzlement, tax evasion and breach of trust.

A prosecution spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment on Monday, and Lotte Group declined to comment except to say it was cooperating with prosecutors.

Prosecutors have since June been investigating about a dozen units at the retail-to-chemicals conglomerate, South Korea's fifth-largest, but it would not be the first time that Lotte and similar groups have fallen short of governance standards in Asia's fourth-largest economy.

Many of the family conglomerates that dominate the economy have been penalized over the years for conduct that is symptomatic of opaque interlocking ownership structures that can mask improper behavior, and the fierce loyalty that can allow lapses to go unchecked.

"Under a corporate culture where loyalty towards a boss and an organization is the most important criteria for evaluation, a sound corporate governance structure cannot survive," said Kim Sang-jo, a professor of economics at Hansung University.

The attachment of staff and executives to the chaebol is legendary, typically embodied in a career-long service of grueling hours.

It could explain why the penultimate act of the 69-year-old Lee was to defend his chairman Shin Dong-bin and the company he served for 43 years.

And why, at the start of the probe, investigators discovered that Lotte employees had, apparently on their own initiative, begun deleting computer files, several people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

CULTURAL LEGACY

While many chaebol have taken steps to improve governance, South Korea has a long way to go to reform a corporate system that is a legacy of the country's decades of breakneck economic growth after the 1950-53 Korean war, investors and analysts say.

The complex cross-shareholdings they developed are a big part of the problem and were evident in an earlier run-in Lotte had with authorities four years ago, when one of the same units now being probed was fined for "unfair support" of an affiliate.

Lotte Group has since slashed the number of cross-shareholdings from a staggering 95,033 in April 2014 to 67 at the end of 2015, but that is still more than any other chaebol, according to South Korea's Fair Trade Commission.

Lee Kyung-mook, a professor at Seoul National University who with the deceased Lee co-headed a Lotte committee set up last year to improve its culture, said Lotte, like most chaebol, was hierarchical and less efficient than it could be.

"Lotte Group, which is more focused on domestic business than Samsung, has been a little bit late to transforming its corporate culture and bringing it to the global level," said Lee, who has written a book on the Samsung Group, the country's biggest conglomerate.

Shares in Korean chaebol still trade more cheaply than similar companies in the developed world on concerns about opaque ownership structures and weak governance, investors say.

But changing the culture is much harder than changing formal structures, especially in a country where transgressions have been both common and sometimes treated relatively lightly.

Over the years, the heads of the Samsung, Hyundai Motor, SK and Hanwha chaebol have been convicted of crimes but received suspended sentences and, later, presidential pardons.

As recently as this month, the ailing chairman of the CJ Group, the country's 15th-largest chaebol, was granted a presidential pardon after being sentenced last year to two and a half years in jail for tax evasion and embezzlement.

(Editing by Tony Munroe and Will Waterman)

search.php?keywords=chaebol
cptmarginal

Postby conniption » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:41 pm

denver guardian

FBI Agent Suspected in Hillary Email Leaks Found Dead in Apparent Murder-Suicide

2016/11/05

Photo by Ada Be (CC BY 4.0)

Walkerville, MD – An FBI agent believed to be responsible for the latest email leaks “pertinent to the investigation” into Hillary Clinton’s private email server while she was Secretary of State, was found dead in an apparent murder-suicide early Saturday morning, according to police.

Investigators believe FBI agent, Michael Brown, 45, shot and killed his 33-year-old wife, Susan Brown, late Friday night before setting the couple’s home on fire and then turning the gun on himself. Brown was a 12 year veteran of the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department before spending the last six years in the FBI.

Neighbors saw smoke coming from the Brown residence and called 9-1-1 at approximately 11:50 p.m. By the time fire crews arrived on scene minutes later, the entire house was engulfed in flames.

“Mrs. Brown’s death was caused by a gunshot wound prior to the house fire,” Walkerville Police Chief Pat Frederick said, “while Mr. Brown’s single-bullet head wound appears to have been self-inflicted.”

“The totality of the evidence leads us to believe this is a murder-suicide. We believe he killed her, set the house on fire and then took his own life,” Frederick said.

The findings support conclusions by investigators Saturday that the couple perished in a murder-suicide during which the 4,000-square foot house was intentionally set on fire. Authorities outlined a likely scenario based on interviews with neighbors and comments posted on Mr. Brown’s Facebook page.

Brown is believed to have started the gasoline-fueled fire but spared the life of his beloved beagle, Dixie. “Prior to the fire, he dropped off the dog at a neighbor’s house,” Frederick said. “He put the dog in a neighbor’s backyard.”

A neighbor told WHAG that Brown appeared “panicked” though it is unclear whether his wife was dead before or after the dog was removed from their home.

The motive behind the killing is still being investigated, but police say Brown was a highly respected agent with the FBI and very well liked in the community. “What leads someone to this level of anger and violence with your wife, your loved one, who knows,” said an FBI official who knew the Brown family.

Conspiracy theories are running rampant throughout many alt. right media outlets, leading many to believe this was another “hit job” by the Clintons in retaliation for the FBI email leaks so close to the presidential election. Media outlets like Alex Jones’ Infowars and WND are running with the theory that globalist assassins, working for the Clintons, had the Brown family murdered and their home burned to destroy any possible evidence.

FBI Director James Comey refused to comment at this time but asked for privacy and prayer as the bureau comes to terms with losing “two very close friends.”

This is a developing story.
conniption

Postby conniption » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:17 pm

conniption » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:41 pm wrote:
denver guardian

FBI Agent Suspected in Hillary Email Leaks Found Dead in Apparent Murder-Suicide

2016/11/05

Photo by Ada Be (CC BY 4.0)

Walkerville, MD – An FBI agent believed to be responsible for the latest email leaks “pertinent to the investigation” into Hillary Clinton’s private email server while she was Secretary of State, was found dead in an apparent murder-suicide early Saturday morning, according to police.

Investigators believe FBI agent, Michael Brown, 45, shot and killed his 33-year-old wife, Susan Brown, late Friday night before setting the couple’s home on fire and then turning the gun on himself. Brown was a 12 year veteran of the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department before spending the last six years in the FBI....

Last night there was a report on one of the cable news stations about Fake News Stories showing up on facebook and google, and the story I posted above was shown as an example of one such story.

I apologize for that.

It's getting harder and harder to tell these days...

No time atm to research this further, and you can remove the above post with my blessing, or take it as a warning of the bs we're being subjected to.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fake+ne ... 8&oe=utf-8
conniption

Postby identity » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:33 pm

^
Thanks for the update, and I'm sure we all here would agree that the original post should remain along with the correction to alert us to the "bs we're being subjected to."
We should never forget Galileo being put before the Inquisition.
It would be even worse if we allowed scientific orthodoxy to become the Inquisition.

Richard Smith, Editor in Chief of the British Medical Journal 1991-2004,
in a published letter to Nature
identity

Postby cptmarginal » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:07 am

Two somewhat odd show business suicides...

‘Project Runway’ hairstylist kills himself with gas inside his Manhattan apartment - Wednesday, November 16, 2016

A celebrity hairstylist who appeared on "Project Runway" used a plastic bag and a hose to a nitrogen tank to kill himself in his Manhattan apartment, police sources said.

A roommate found George Ortiz, 45, face-up on the bed of his Riverside Dr. apartment near W. 151st St. in Hamilton Heights at about 7:20 a.m. Tuesday, sources said.

The bag was around his head and duct-taped to his neck, sources said. A hose led from the bag to the nitrogen tank.

Ortiz hadn’t been seen for a few days, and on Nov. 12, he wrote on Facebook, “Don’t cry for me,” sources said.

Ortiz appeared on the Bravo reality show from 2006 to 2010.

“I’ve been very blessed, very lucky, that things happened really quickly for me once I decided — well not decided, one I discovered my passion for hair,” Ortiz said in a 2010 trailer of a documentary film.

His death has been ruled a suicide, caused by asphyxia by covering of head with fastened plastic bag and displacement of oxygen by nitrogen, according to the city Medical Examiner’s office.

"He was a good dude. He was a real nice guy. He'd speak to me, he'd just say hello — he was always singing," said his neighbor, Donald Gatland, 75. "He thought he was a tenor. He used to sing high-pitched. He was real friendly."

Gatland said Ortiz's death came as a big shock to his neighbors.

“Matter of fact, it would seem like it was three days ago me and him was talking, you know, he said hello,” he said.

Lisa Lynn Masters dead at 52 after apparent suicide - Nov. 18, 2016

LIMA, Nov. 18 (UPI) -- Lisa Lynn Masters, who appeared on shows like Gossip Girl and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt died in her hotel room in Peru earlier this week. She was 52.

According to local media, Masters was found inside of her hotel room closet where she reportedly hanged herself with a skirt.

A statement released by a representative for Masters requested that fans mourn Masters without needing to know the details surrounding her death.
cptmarginal

Postby cptmarginal » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:17 am

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Prominent lawyer Tony Brooklier, son of powerful L.A. Mafia boss, dead at 70

Matt Hamilton | November 16, 2016

Anthony Brooklier, a prominent Los Angeles attorney who went from defending his father, a powerful mob boss, to representing celebrities, corrupt businessmen, drug kingpins and the Hollywood Madam Heidi Fleiss, died Tuesday. He was 70.

Brooklier died of suicide at his Century City residence, according to the Los Angeles County coroner’s office.

His death stunned the Southern California legal community, with lawyers, prosecutors and court staff sharing tributes of the seasoned litigator. It came about one year after Brooklier’s son, also named Anthony Brooklier, killed himself in San Bernardino County, authorities confirmed. Both died of hanging.

Donald B. Marks, Brooklier’s law partner of about 40 years, declined to discuss the circumstances of his death but acknowledged that Brooklier had been pained by the loss of his son.

“It had a very substantial impact on him,” Marks said in a telephone interview. “It was very hard for him to cope.”

As a young lawyer, Brooklier drew attention when he left his post as a deputy state attorney general to represent his father, Mafia boss Dominic Brooklier, who eventually faced two federal racketeering indictments as part of a massive crackdown on organized crime.

Heidi Fleiss, who became known as the Hollywood Madam, with attorney Anthony Brooklier before her 1997 sentencing. (Chris Pizzello / Associated Press)

In the second case, the elder Brooklier was convicted of racketeering and extortion, but he and other reputed mobsters were acquitted of the 1977 murder of underworld informant Frank “The Bomp” Bompensiero.

At the 1981 sentencing before U.S. District Judge Terry J. Hatter Jr., Brooklier made an emotional plea on his father’s behalf.

“There are things in his past he shouldn’t be proud of, and I’m not proud of,” Brooklier said, later sobbing in open court. “But he’s always provided for his family. Whatever sentence he does, he’ll be missed every day.”

The elder Brooklier died behind bars, but his son’s impassioned, well-prepared defense helped establish his reputation as an attorney of choice for those facing prosecution.

He met Marks while defending organized crime figures in the 1970s, and they founded the Century City firm Marks & Brooklier, which remains a highly respected criminal defense firm.

The duo took on a range of high-profile cases. Brooklier — a tall man with well-coiffed hair — melded a polished, charming manner with aggressive advocacy.

“He had a very effective way of communicating with jurors, witnesses and judges,” Marks said. “It was quite understated, but it was based on preparation and skill.”

Brooklier represented national Hells Angels leader George Christie Jr. when he was charged with running a gang that snagged drugs from the U.S. Air Force, and fashion designer Anand Jon, who was convicted of sexually assaulting seven girls and young women.

During the attempted murder trial of Timothy McDonald, an associate of rapper Marion “Suge” Knight, Brooklier accused a Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy of lying on the witness stand. Jurors deadlocked in deliberations and the judge eventually declared a mistrial.

Brooklier negotiated a plea deal that kept McDonald out of jail, and he later remarked to The Times: “Trials are always risky. The potential loss here was devastating — it’s life in prison versus take a plea deal and go home today.”

Anthony Brooklier, left, with client Dino Guglielmelli, who pleaded no contest to attempted murder for trying to hire a business associate to kill his wife. (Al Seib / Los Angeles Times)

While defending Fleiss, who admitted to running a prostitution ring for the rich and famous, Brooklier urged the court to compare the gravity of the charge to other, more serious crimes.

"Your Honor, no one was hurt in this case, no one was coerced, and no one operated under duress," Brooklier said. All Fleiss did, he argued, was arrange for "consensual sex between consenting adults."

Brooklier found himself on the other side of the law in 1998, when he pleaded guilty to failing to file federal income tax returns.

The offenses were misdemeanors and the judge opted not to send him to prison. The California State Bar allowed him to keep his law license after a six-month suspension.

In more recent years, he defended a businessman caught trying to hire someone to kill his wife and a Calabasas man who was convicted of murdering an El Camino Real High School student.

“It didn’t matter who our client was,” Marks said. “We did everything we could within our function as criminal defense attorneys.”

Anthony Phillip Brooklier was born April 7, 1946, in Lynwood and grew up in Orange County. After school, Brooklier washed cars at his father’s used-car dealership in Maywood.

As a child, he said he recognized that his father, who eventually became the Godfather for all of Southern California, wasn’t like other people’s fathers.

“My father could walk into a place, and for whatever reason, the room would stop,” Brooklier told The Times in 1989. “It was as if every eye was on him.”

He graduated from Savanna High School in Anaheim in 1964 and got a congressional appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy. But during his first year, his father was listed in a national report on Mafia activities as a ranking member of the mob in L.A.

A commander summoned Brooklier and informed him that he would probably not have a successful career in the military.

Brooklier completed his undergraduate studies in 1968 at Loyola Marymount University. He earned his law degree in 1971 from UCLA after resolving to pursue a career that would defend his family.

"I wanted to put myself in a position to help my father," he told The Times. "Because I sensed when I was a kid what was going to happen. It's a thing all kids live with, you know — your parents will get divorced, they'll get hurt, they'll die. But that wasn't my fear…. I was so taken about what my father told me happened to him when he was a kid [in prison], I was so emotional about that, that I ... was never going to let it happen again."

Brooklier is survived by his wife, television journalist Pat LaLama, and several adult children.

His father once ran the L.A. mob. How Tony Brooklier walks the thin line between the law and his underworld roots - September 17, 1989

Anthony Brooklier, a prominent Los Angeles attorney, has died at the age of 70, L.A. County coroner’s officials confirmed. They did not immediately release a cause of death. This profile written 27 years ago takes a look at his back story and colorful career up until that point

Also:

The highlights of LaLama's storied career include reporting/analysis in the cases of Casey Anthony, Conrad Murray, Amanda Knox, Ronni Chasen, Anna Nicole Smith, Warren Jeffs, Michael Jackson, Scott Peterson, OJ Simpson, Hollywood Madam Heidi Fleiss, Rodney King, The Los Angeles riots, The Menendez brothers, JonBenet Ramsey, The Columbine murders, The Branch Davidian shootout and countless other high profile legal matters.

LaLama lives in Los Angeles with her husband, renowned criminal defense attorney Anthony Brooklier.
cptmarginal

Postby semper occultus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:55 pm

How Deutsche Bank Made a $462 Million Loss Disappear

A dubious trade leads to a criminal trial for Europe’s most important bank.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-01-19/how-deutsche-bank-made-367-million-disappear

On Dec. 1, 2008, most of the world’s banks were still panicking through the financial crisis. Lehman Brothers had collapsed. Merrill Lynch had been sold. Citigroup and others had required multibillion-dollar bailouts to survive. But not every institution appeared to be in free fall. That afternoon, at the London outpost of Deutsche Bank, the stolid-seeming, €2 trillion German powerhouse, a group of financiers met to consider a proposal from a team led by a trim, 40-year-old banker named Michele Faissola.

The scion of an Italian banking family, Faissola was the head of Deutsche’s global rates unit, a division that created and sold financial instruments tied to interest rates. He’d been studying the problems of one of Deutsche’s clients, Italy’s Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena, which, as the crisis raged, was down €367 million ($462 million at the time) on a single investment. Losing that much money was bad; having to include it in the bank’s yearend report to the public, as required by Italian law, was arguably much worse.

<snip>

Among the casualties was David Rossi, Paschi’s communications chief. At about 9 p.m. on March 6, a bank employee noticed that Rossi was missing from his fourth-floor office. A window had been left open. Authorities found Rossi’s body in a courtyard below. Rossi, 51, wasn’t himself the subject of any inquiries, but his home had been searched two weeks earlier by police. His death was at first ruled a suicide, but the inquest has been reopened based on evidence his wife presented, including security video that shows Rossi fell out backward.

Several months after Rossi’s death, in January 2014, Broeksmit was supposed to meet his wife of almost 30 years at a cafe near their home in the South Kensington neighborhood of London. He didn’t show. When she returned home, she found his body hanging from the leash attached to a door. In a dog bed, he’d left suicide notes, including one addressed to Jain, his longtime colleague. The New York Post reported last year that the note to Jain contained an apology. A summary of Deutsche Bank’s own review of the suicide, seen by Bloomberg Businessweek, doesn’t mention the note and says the review found no direct link between Broeksmit’s death and his work at Deutsche.
semper occultus

Postby Grizzly » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Requiem for the Suicided: Terrance Yeakey
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie