wikipedia a profiteer's scam? namebase for real?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

wikipedia a profiteer's scam? namebase for real?

Postby AnnaLivia » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:15 pm

i HATE to start a new thread at this time, because the last thing we need is another fucking distraction...but this seems important and ties into much here at RI. in the course of searching for info, spurred by the HUGELY IMPORTANT thread on richard heinberg THAT GOES SO MUCH DEEPER THAN JUST HIM, i found this:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.wikipedia-watch.org/">www.wikipedia-watch.org/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>i cannot remember who in here first gave me the namebase directory site <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.namebase.org/">www.namebase.org/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> but it was in going there just now that i discovered this.<br><br>i am a real newbie to both namebase and wikipedia, but have always wondered how wiki could be relied on for accuracy. they seem to have no policy to prevent malicious abuse.<br><br>dunno anything yet about david brandt of namebase. anyone?<br><br>(also, just checked the firepit and apparently thunperton has been banned. but he can still read here, right? AND I DON'T THINK WE HAVE OUTED ALL HIS CO-HORTS YET.)<br><br>i can tell you that annalivia is on high-alert like never before, and i can tell THEM that I AM UNAFRAID OF YOU AND YOUR EVIL because i have a roscoe in my back pocket called love and i know one thing for certain in this universe and that is that MY LOVE TRUMPS YOUR EVIL.<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
AnnaLivia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Daniel Brandt? Good guy. Also runs google-watch.org

Postby Watchful Citizen » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:20 pm

If wikipedia can be altered by malevalent agents, it will be. That is what the CIA does to steer our culture. They tried to buy the rights to Orwell's Animal Farm to change the ending!<br><br>I have lots of respect for Daniel Brandt.<br>Brandt runs namebase and google-watch. Google is also steering our culture in unseen ways.<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://google-watch.org/">google-watch.org/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Brandt also helps keep the insidious Chip Berlet at bay although Chip just showed up interviewed in 'LIP' magazine which purports to be about propaganda culture. That guy knows how to get in front of culture-savvy lefties to misdirect them away from 'conspiricism' in the service of the CIA.<br><br>Two articles by Bob Feldman concerning the financial sources behind John Foster Berlet and his organization:<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.leftgatekeepers.com/articles/ChipBerletSponsoredByFordFoundationByBobFeldman120903.htm">www.leftgatekeepers.com/a...120903.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.questionsquestions.net/feldman/feldman10.html">www.questionsquestions.ne...man10.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>I gleaned lots about the character of Brandt from his essay about his political evolution and starting namebase called <br>'An Incorrect Political Memoir'<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.namebase.org/zipdir/ppost01.html">www.namebase.org/zipdir/ppost01.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Watchful Citizen

fixed link: Brandt's 'A Politically Incorrect Memoir'

Postby Watchful Citizen » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:13 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://spot.acorn.net/jfkplace/06-Trade/06-04-Disk/NameBase/brandt.incorrect">spot.acorn.net/jfkplace/0....incorrect</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>This is off his site but a complete essay worth reading for a history of researching criminal government activity from the 60s on through today.<br><br>As I recall from a long-ago read, what interested me most about this political memoir was newly-arrived 'politically correct speech'-tensions when some whistleblowing sources got painted as untouchbles by the likes of Chip Berlet who Brandt got the smell of early on.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.lipmagazine.org/">www.lipmagazine.org/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>The current issue of Lip Magazine online (good mag) has an interview with Chip Berlet by Brian Awehali, I was apalled to see. Chip only talked about "the left's problem of politically correct speech" in the guise of offering ways to defend it while explaining Lakoff's framing concept as he actually impudently framed progressives in a rediculous way...right in the interviewers face shamelessly. That's ole Chip's thang, give with the visible hand as he taketh away with the subliminal swipe while avoiding who controls the media, his clients. <p></p><i></i>
Watchful Citizen

I've corresponded with Brandt...

Postby banned » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:37 am

...about google's ads, and the sites which are simply excuses for them, which are basically destroying the internet as an information source. I do research on the net and spend more and more of my time ending up at these fake sites, which crowd out the genuine ones whenever you do a search. Furthermore you CANNOT eliminate them by putting in your search that you don't want google or any variants, because the ads are inserted AFTER the web crawler.<br><br>Evil.<br><br>As for wikipedia, I've used them for research and, at least in areas I'm familiar with, never found any funky mis/disinformation. I don't think they're any more vulnerable to it than the rest of the net, and maybe less so since if someone funks it up, someone else can change it back--isn't that the point of a wiki? <p></p><i></i>
banned

PS as for thumpy, he posted AFTER he was banned--

Postby banned » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:39 am

because the IP ban only keeps him off when he's at his home puter. If he goes to one in a library or copy shop or friend's house, he can get back on. So can anyone else. IP bans only work on people who are low level cranks, not obsessionals or [those words we're not allowed to use--d------ agents]. The latter 2 will just find another puter and get back to business. <p></p><i></i>
banned

wikipedia isn't a total free-for-all

Postby anotherdrew » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:46 am

wikipedia isn't a total free-for-all. you have to register an account, there a levels of editing ability, changes go through an editing/review process where multiple eyes check the info. They have a method in place for dealing with 'controversial' topics. Just as the bad guys can go and sneak some crap in, anyone can flag something as needing checked out, if it's bad it gets fixed by another volunteer, or the funky changed bit just gets 'reverted' out of existence.<br><br>I'm not a 'contributer' on it or anything, but I've considered it, I just don't have time though. <p></p><i></i>
anotherdrew

google is not the only search engine

Postby lurker » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:16 am

learn to search better<br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.searchlores.org">Web Searchlores</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br>Advanced Internet searching strategies & advice <p></p><i></i>
lurker

searching

Postby veritas » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:35 am

All the Google<br><br>without the goo!<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm">www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
veritas

I have met Daniel Brandt

Postby heyjt » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:35 pm

He's for real. I met him at Ace Hayes' place outside of Portland years ago. Brandt and Ace (when he was still alive) had paralell analysis of government crime and corruption. Brandt started namebase at the dawn of the internet. Ace used his stuff on CD's before it was online.<br> Both Brandt and Hayes dogged Chip Berlet and knew he was some kind of agent. The organization Berlet worked for, I believe it was "Political Research Associates", recieved money from "The Beacon Fund". According to "The CIA- A Forgotten History" by William Blum, there is a flow chart that lists The Beacon Fund as a conduit for CIA money. We obtained the tax returns for PRA and found it there. John Foster (Dulles) "Chip" Berlet is a player for somebody. As is Morris Dees of the Southern Poverty Law center, closely alinged with the FBI. <p></p><i></i>
heyjt

Where's the profit ... or income, for that matter?

Postby Corvidaerex » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:05 pm

Wiki sites have no advertising and no user fees. It's a non-profit organization that vaguely manages the domain names and such, and anybody (including anybody on the RI board!) can not only make any edits or additions they think are needed, but they can legally cut and paste the stuff onto another web site or forum or whatever. Or mirror the entire thing on their own servers.<br><br>I've seen a lot of bad Wikipedia entries (and have made corrections and done some editing, as should anyone who finds stuff that's incorrect), but I've seen a lot more really good ones. And unlike the for-profit encyclopedias, if there's a dispute about something on Wiki, you'll see it at the top of the entry and can read the arguments for or against the inclusion of controversial bits.<br><br>It's good to be skeptical, but randomly deciding something is "run by the bad guys" just because you haven't looked into it at all ... well, that's just kind of lazy. <p></p><i></i>
Corvidaerex

Chip Berlet is interviewed in LIP magazine this month.

Postby Watchful Citizen » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:39 pm

Chip is still kicking shit up and managed to get into another otherwise fine publication, Lip magazine. <br><br>He cleverly prattled about feeble old news, 'politically correct speech' to make progressives look rediculous and even explained Lakoff's framing while framing progressives badly. Clever monkey.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://lipmagazine.org/articles/featberlet_pc.htm">lipmagazine.org/articles/...let_pc.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>I was so appalled by this, that I sent the magazine an email explaining what Berlet had pulled on them. Here's some of what I wrote to Lip Magazine:<br><br>"Congratulations on your fine magazine. Like it a lot.<br><br>But.<br><br>Some of us who study US intelligence control of media<br>were horrified to see Chip Berlet interviewed in your<br>magazine.<br><br>Chip Berlet works for the CIA doing the equivalent of<br>COINTELPRO work to lure lefties to his website and<br>listen to him so they won't get info about the CIA.<br>Berlet vigorously points to the FBI as dangerous and<br>deflects discussion away from CIA crimes with minimizing euphemisms.)<br><br>Berlet badjackets the most important whistleblowers<br>against the CIA (L. Fletcher Prouty, Mark Lane, Lyndon<br>Larouche who really is a crank though extremely<br>well-informed about CIA thus aiding Berlet's tactic) as<br>'right-wingers' and it works.<br><br>Berlet derides 'conspiracism' as a symptom of the<br>wacky paranoid right and left, a 'debunking' that is<br>rebutted by the federal criminal code and history of<br>criminals doing exactly that, conspiring.<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://publiceye.org/articles/articles.php?topic=32">publiceye.org/articles/ar...p?topic=32</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Berlet ingratiated himself with more of his intended<br>targets for psy-ops on the left merely by being in<br>your magazine and distracting from the sins of the<br>right by talking about very old jibes against the left<br>in a truly underwhelming topic hardly discussed since<br>the 1980s, 'politically correct speech.'<br><br>This tactic is trivialization of progressives and<br>distraction from right-wing crimes.<br><br>Berlet managed to FRAME PROGRESSIVES IN A DEROGATORY<br>LIGHT in the guise of explaining Lakoff's framing<br>concept (which is simply prejudging tone of speech) and thus conveyed slurs by pretending to<br>debunk them. <br><br>Quoting Berlet from his interview-<br><br>Berlet denied twice "that liberals and the left are<br>engaging in an Orwellian project of thought control to<br>force people to accept certain language, to re-educate<br>them."<br><br>"You reframe it to say that these people are coercing<br>you into a form of thought that is a hand-wringing<br>kind of liberalism. And then you talk about the<br>changing language and how silly it is..."<br><br>"So then you end up with progressives who say, "We<br>want political correctness," which is idiotic, and<br>then you have progressives who say they're against<br>political correctness. Either way, it's idiotic."<br><br>"One was in the hideous journal of the Midwestern<br>Modern Language Association, but it's worth wading<br>through the rhetoric to read it;"<br><br>etc. etc. etc. <p></p><i></i>
Watchful Citizen

Re: wikipedia a profiteer's scam? namebase for real?

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:48 pm

wow. RI archives and me posting as "Watchful Citizen."

And now the name "Brandt" is central to a CIA-Hollywood decoy plot at #1 this week!
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Return to Media and Information Technology