Leonard Cohen, Operative? (Ann Diamond material)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Leonard Cohen, Operative? (Ann Diamond material)

Postby lunarmoth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:26 pm

I want thirteen-year-olds in my life. Bible King David had one to warm his dying bed. Why shouldn’t we associate with beautiful people? Tight, tight, tight, oh, I want to be trapped in a thirteen-year-old life. I know, I know about war and business. I am aware of shit. Thirteen-year-old electricity is very sweet to suck, and I am (or let me be) tender as a hummingbird. Don’t I have some hummingbird in my soul? Isn’t there something timeless and unutterably light in my lust hovering over a young wet crack in a blur of blond air? Oh come, hardy darlings, there is nothing of King Midas in my touch, I freeze nothing into money. I merely graze your hopeless nipples as they grow away from me into business problems. I change nothing as I float and sip under the first bra.

Bittersweet is the cunt sap of a thirteen year old. O Tongue of the Nation! Why don’t you speak for yourself? Can’t you see what is behind all this teen-age advertising? Is it only money? What does “wooing the teen-age market” really mean? Eh? Look at all the thirteen-year-old legs on the floor spread in front of the tv screen. Is it only to sell them cereals and cosmetics? Madison Avenue is thronged with hummingbirds who want to drink from those little barely haired crevices. Woo them, woo them, suited writers of commercial poems. Dying America wants a thirteen-year-old Abishag to warm its bed. Men who shave want little girls to ravish but sell them high heels instead.

--Leonard Cohen, "Beautiful Losers" pg. 309
"We come from France"
lunarmoth

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:39 pm

lunarmoth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:26 pm wrote:Bittersweet is the cunt sap of a thirteen year old.

Sure, I'm a puritan hick, but Christ Jesus, come on now. Poetry indeed, but wrong open mic. You're on Team 2017 for that one.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Cordelia » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:22 pm

Shouldn't it matter that Lunarmoth's quoting from Cohen's "Beautiful Losers" in a thread about Cohen during a time when pedophilia is being discussed/dismissed?
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby km artlu » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Sure, I'm a puritan hick...

You do have your endearing moments Wombat.

Shouldn't it matter that Lunarmoth's quoting from Cohen's "Beautiful Losers" in a thread about Cohen during a time when pedophilia is being discussed/dismissed?

I think it does matter, and thanks for the clarification Cordelia.
km artlu

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Cordelia » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:22 pm wrote:Shouldn't it matter that Lunarmoth's quoting from Cohen's "Beautiful Losers" in a thread about Cohen during a time when pedophilia is being discussed/dismissed?

Yes, hugely. Suspension being reversed right now.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Project Willow » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:51 pm

May I suggest a formatting edit to avoid further confusion? [quote="Leonard Cohen"][/quote]
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby lunarmoth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks for letting me back on the board, Wombaticus. I was about to post this link when i discovered i'd been banned for the holidays. http://cohencentric.com/2015/05/05/leon ... ul-losers/

I found the above quote from Beautiful Losers at Cohencentric - I should maybe add I've read the novel three times but the Hummingbird thing had slipped my memory.
"We come from France"
lunarmoth

Postby lunarmoth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:53 pm

[url][/url]I had more to add on this topic today. I was going to say something forgiving for Christmas, re: where i feel LC belongs on a sliding scale from "good" to "evil" -- but that post somehow disappeared as I was typing it.

It has to do with that Hummingbird logo, which originally included a British crown hovering over the head of the bird as it sampled nectar from open, vagina-shaped young lilies. All this (I suppose) harkens back to Keteri Tekawitha, Lily of the Mohawks, deceased heroine of Beautiful Losers -- and also to Buckingham Palace and official pedophilia...

More on this when i've thought it over.

I posted both hummingbirds at my blog in case anyone wants to view these images by Dianne Lawrence: http://lunamoth1.blogspot.ca/2016/12/li ... gbird.html
Last edited by lunarmoth on Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We come from France"
lunarmoth

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:04 pm

lunarmoth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:53 pm wrote:I had more to add on this topic today. I was going to say something forgiving for Christmas, re: where i feel LC belongs on a sliding scale from "good" to "evil" -- but that post somehow disappeared as I was typing it.

My apologies for that, always infuriating to lose work on a computer.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby guruilla » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:38 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:39 pm wrote:
lunarmoth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:26 pm wrote:Bittersweet is the cunt sap of a thirteen year old.

Sure, I'm a puritan hick, but Christ Jesus, come on now. Poetry indeed, but wrong open mic. You're on Team 2017 for that one.

:lol: There's no bon mots quite like those of our benevolent mod.

Wombat: You missed your true calling as a rap star. Urm... Never mind.

In the offending quote, maybe I'm just being cynical but was LC being oh-so-careful with his poet provocateur bit by making it 13? One year under and things might not have panned out so well for his career arc? Even as it, surprising. Not a likely passage to have been read at his funeral, I'm thinking.
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby tapitsbo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:53 pm

About his funeral, his took place very much out of the public eye, right?
tapitsbo

Postby guruilla » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:57 pm

tapitsbo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:53 pm wrote:About his funeral, his took place very much out of the public eye, right?

I think I see your point.

You are thinking, a more exclusive kind of open-mic...
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby tapitsbo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:54 pm

I am not thinking of anything weird actually. Just that the cohen funeral was not as public as many
tapitsbo

Postby lunarmoth » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:38 pm

I was 13 in 1964 when Cohen wrote those lines -- not that I am the subject. Besides, those 13 year old girls remain underage forever (frozen in prose) and the genius author is now enshrined (as a pervert) whereas I just got older and older. It does make you wonder why we cling to any thoughts at all.

My main thought about Leonard is, he left us better informed than we were before he came. His secrecy entailed a lot of exposure. In the end, that may have been his goal all along.
"We come from France"
lunarmoth

Postby Cordelia » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:13 am

fwiw...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB6nIzPf9r8

I guess every icon needs one true love, even if it's just to further cement their musical legend (and maybe make some money) June & Johnny, Emmy Lou & Graham, Marianne & Leonard. The trailer looks to appeal to Cohen's adoring fans, but I'm hopeful the film also reveals some of the darker corners of Cohen's life on and off Hydra. I'll wait to view it on dvd (I wish lunarmoth was still around to give her take here and elsewhere :wave: )

My reputation as a ladies' man was a joke that caused me to laugh bitterly through the ten thousand nights I spent alone.

Leonard Cohen

^^^I never did buy that line, but I always wondered who the blonde was, sitting at the typewriter on the back cover of 'Songs From a Room.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion