Trumpublicons: Foreign Influence/Grifting in '16 US Election

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: NSA Chief Russia Hacked '16 Election Congress Must Inves

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:54 am

^^^^^
Dada (more artfully) echoed much of my sentiment.

My point is not that there is no value to the output here, but that the volume of energy/bandwidth dedicated to this particular topic is ultimately futile.

Elections are a f#cking racket; the call signs within a given power structure may be somewhat distinct -- the name of the home team may change -- but the playing field remains the same.
They're all part of the same league.

But by all means, continue to indulge -- don't pay mind to me and my occasional (less frequent) intrusions.

Carry on and good luck with it.
Last edited by Belligerent Savant on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belligerent Savant

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:36 am

News drives genealogy, and vice-versa
March 31, 2017UncategorizedE Randol Schoenberg

When I read the news and see the name of someone who sounds Jewish, my first instinct is to wonder whether I can work out his or her family tree on Geni.com. Yesterday there were two stories that caught my attention. First, there were reports that National Security aide Ezra Cohen-Watnick was the White House staffer who supposedly showed information to House Intelligence Committee Devin Nunes related to the probe of Russian influence on the Presidential election. Later, there was the report by Ashley Feinberg of Gizmodo that she had managed, in an inspiring bit of internet sleuthing, to find FBI Director James Comey’s Twitter account. Feinberg, Cohen-Watnick, how could I resist? Before going to bed, I tried to see what I could find.

It didn’t take much time to work out Ashley’s tree, which I did first. Her family has had more than its fair share of tragedy in recent years and so there was plenty of information for me to start her tree, which then matched up with her brother’s tree on MyHeritage. Easy peasy.

It was very late, but I decided to see if Ezra’s tree would be as easy. It wasn’t. He obviously has been trying to have a zero presence on the Web. But you really can not hide. Still, although Nathan Guttman at the Forward had already reported what it could find, there wasn’t a lot to go on. Fortunately, his synagogue Ohr Kodesh had published an announcement of his engagement celebration with Rebecca Miller late last year. The kiddush was sponsored by Jonathan & Martha Cohen (who turned out to be his paternal grandparents) and Deborah Levine & Marc Cohen (his father and step-mother). Some more Googling led to his mother, the nephrologist Terry Watnick. When I discovered Terry Watnick’s Facebook page, I guessed she probably wasn’t a Trump supporter.

At that point, I wrote my good genealogy friend Renee Steinig, who is probably the best genealogist I know for Jews in the United States. For some reason, Renee was awake, so she started building out the tree with me on Geni. I won’t bore you with all the tricks we use, but there’s pretty much nothing Renee and I cannot find. I went to bed very late last night, satisfied that we had connected Ezra and his family to the World Family Tree.

Renee kept working on the tree today, and then sent me something that I think might be newsworthy, or at least creepily coincidental. She had found information on Ezra’s wife, Rebecca Miller. In 2014, Rebecca’s mother Vicki Fraser did an oral history for the State Historical Society of Missouri International Women’s Forum, where she described what her daughter was doing:

Well, we have 24-year-old twins, Jake Miller . . . [and] Becky Miller, who works for Ketchum, a PR and marketing firm in Washington, D.C. and her big challenges right now are Ketchum is responsible for providing PR and marketing to try to make Russia look better which is particularly difficult when they’re invading other countries and when Putin is somewhat out of control.

So Ezra’s wife Rebecca used to do PR for Putin. Hmmm. Googling, you can find stories from 2015, when Ketchum and Putin sort of parted company. Rebecca’s LinkedIn account shows her still at Ketchum.

Maybe it’s just me, but that all seems a bit too coincidental.

http://schoenblog.com/?p=1215

Ezra Cohen-Watnick, who leaked intel to Devin Nunes for Donald Trump, has ties to Vladimir Putin
By Bill Palmer | April 1, 2017 | 0

When House Intelligence Committee chairman Devin Nunes paradoxically ran to the White House last week with classified intel that had been leaked to him by the White House the night before, one of the Donald Trump staffers who gave that intel to Nunes was Ezra Cohen-Watnick (source: New York Times). The political world has since been attempting to decipher why any adviser would participate in such a politically dangerous stunt. But one piece of the puzzle has emerged which may shed some light on that.

Holocaust attorney E. Randol Schoenberg has collaborated with genealogist Renee Steinig to unearth something surreal. Ezra Cohen-Watnick’s wife Becky did public relations for the Russian government. The source: her own mother, Vicki Fraser. Schoenberg points to an oral history provided by Fraser which states that her daughter Becky Miller “works for Ketchum, a PR and marketing firm in Washington, D.C. and her big challenges right now are Ketchum is responsible for providing PR and marketing to try to make Russia look better which is particularly difficult when they’re invading other countries and when Putin is somewhat out of control.”

Because Ezra Cohen-Watnick’s wife has been doing public relations for the Russian government for a living, it means their household income partially comes from Vladimir Putin. Yet somehow this guy has a high ranking job in the White House. And again, the source on this is his own mother-in-law, unearthed by a respected Holocaust attorney (read his blog post on it), so this is as solid as it gets. Palmer Report has noted that since Schoenberg published his findings, Becky Miller has almost immediately deleted her LinkedIn profile which listed her as still working for Putin’s PR firm.

In addition, when incoming National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster recently wanted to fire Ezra Cohen-Watnick, Donald Trump intervened and allowed him to keep his job (source: JTA). So this marks yet another instance of Trump protecting those around him who have Kremlin connections.

This also means that Ezra Cohen-Watnick is yet another Donald Trump adviser with eye popping ties to the Kremlin, the latest in a long list. And it may help explain why he was willing to go along with the bizarre stunt of leaking classified intel in the name of derailing the House Intel Committee investigation into Donald Trump’s Russia scandal.
http://www.palmerreport.com/news/ezra-c ... utin/2149/
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:47 pm

km artlu » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:54 pm wrote:US presidents have all been mired in filth for at least my entire lifetime. Even Kennedy, whom I ultimately admire, and who I believe became an authentic advocate for humanity after the trauma of October '62, had dealings with Sam Giancana for fuck's sake.

There are maggots under every rock. Selectively discovering those maggots in connection with one President ignores all the rest and implies, by that selectivity, something unique to the subject of inquiry.

Thus perpetuating the corrupt system, which is what should be the target of reformation efforts. Expose and depose Trump and all will be restored to glory. Right.

km, please know I hold no grudge against you. I hope you won't mind expanding on your point of view, but I'll get to that in a minute. First I'd like to offer you my critique of your quoted comment.

While not arguing the truthfulness of your first paragraph, it is entirely irrelevant to what we are confronted with now having Trump as our Commander In Chief. (While he may hold the office of President of the United States of America, he is far away in character from any former holder of that high office, so let's refer to him as the CIC, [which is pronounced, 'kek'.])

There are maggots under every rock. Selectively discovering those maggots in connection with one President ignores all the rest and implies, by that selectivity, something unique to the subject of inquiry.

It's a bit unfair to dehumanize and label all politicians and bureaucrats as maggots under rocks, but what are you suggesting - that we've ignored all of our past Presidents' foibles? Or that somehow because Ronald Reagan was an idiot, it's ok that Trump is too? Please explain your use of the word "selectivity."

Like in all landfills certain wastes always float to the surface, so it goes in DC. It's just that sometimes when one weed is pulled, only then you realize it's connected by its underground roots to a larger organism, so you keep pulling it up, exposing as much of it as you go in order to locate the source. Then you destroy it to prevent further intrusions and harm, politically.

Frankly, these are serious issues, as is Bannon's agenda. Trump begged the Russians to intervene in our election. Maybe he wasn't keeping to schedule and the Ruskies released news of the hookers peeing on him, wisely holding back the video for potential future use. He is an ignoramus and easily manipulated, as he continually demonstrates.

Trump represents the rich and the powerful, those who are responsible for the working man's life of woe. Our poor only exist because our rich exist. And Trump cares nothing about anyone other than himself. Of that no one could convince me otherwise.

Thus perpetuating the corrupt system, which is what should be the target of reformation efforts. Expose and depose Trump and all will be restored to glory. Right.

It's difficult for me to believe anyone contributing here could be so shallow in thought as to believe Trump is actually reforming the system to eliminate corruption. The corrupt system isn't going anywhere. Trump and many of his cronies will be, though. However, the corrupt Russian bankers and businessmen Trumps' been doing business with, especially considering he's our President and hasn't disconnected himself from his businesses, should be of concern to all Americans and all should be investigated. That would be attacking the corruption, not complacency.

Really, you should focus more closely on the Republicans who will be the ones ousting Trump and his singing Trumplicants. The party is in great disarray right now and many want Trump gone. They see him as a threat to their victory in the upcoming '18 election.

Btw, your use of 'restoring all to glory' is atypical of the fallacious hyperbole hurled upon those of the left by those on the right and has about the same effect as tossing out alternative facts to bolster your case.
Iamwhomiam

Postby km artlu » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:05 pm

hey Iam

Thank you for the cordial tone of your analysis/critique. I'm in the midst of a few very busy days and nights and will return to your post when that's done to see if there's anything constructive I may have to add.

Meanwhile I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the tone of your response and that, in regards to:
"It's difficult for me to believe anyone contributing here could be so shallow in thought as to believe Trump is actually reforming the system to eliminate corruption."
I certainly do not hold any such belief.
km artlu

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:29 am

White House pulled out of meet and greet with ‘conservatives’ favorite Russian’ over suspected mob ties

Michael Isikoff
Chief Investigative Correspondent
Yahoo NewsApril 2, 2017

The White House abruptly canceled a scheduled meeting in February between President Trump and a high-level Russian central banker after a national security aide discovered the official had been named by Spanish police as a suspected “godfather” of an organized crime and money-laundering ring, according to an administration official and four other sources familiar with the event.

The event had been planned as a meet and greet with President Trump and Alexander Torshin, the deputy governor of the Bank of Russia and a close ally of President Vladimir Putin, in a waiting room at the Washington Hilton before the National Prayer Breakfast on Feb. 2. Torshin, a top official in his country’s central bank, headed a Russian delegation to the annual event and was among a small number of guests who had been invited by Prayer Breakfast leaders to meet with Trump before it began.

But while reviewing the list of guests, a White House national security aide responsible for European affairs noticed Torshin’s name and flagged him as a figure who had “baggage,” a reference to his suspected ties to organized crime, an administration official told Yahoo News. Around the same time, a former campaign adviser alerted the White House that the meeting could exacerbate the political controversy over contacts between Trump associates and the Kremlin, another source familiar with the matter said.

The sources were unable to say who inside the White House canceled the scheduled meeting, or precisely when the decision was made. The administration official who spoke to Yahoo News said that White House officials were already planning to scrap the meeting when the National Security Council staffer raised concerns about it. But it was not until the night before the Prayer Breakfast that Torshin was informed, without explanation, that his meeting with the president had been scrapped.

“Late the night before, we were told that all meet and greets were off,” said Maria Butina, a special assistant to Torshin, in an email to Yahoo News, confirming that Torshin had expected to meet Trump at the event. “There were no specific questions or statements that Mr. Torshin had in mind during what we assumed to be a five-second handshake. We all hope for better relations between our two countries. I’m sure there will be other opportunities to express this hope.”

The disclosure of the canceled meeting comes as new details are emerging about a Spanish law enforcement investigation that targeted Torshin. The Spanish newspaper El País, which collaborated with Yahoo News on this story, is reporting Sunday that Spanish national police had mounted an elaborate operation to arrest Torshin at the Mallorca airport in the summer of 2013 when he was expected to fly in to attend the birthday party of an accused leader of a Russian organized crime syndicate.

But Torshin failed to show, leading police to conclude he had likely been tipped off by Russian officials, according to the El País report, which cites four judicial and police sources.

Torshin has strongly denied having ties to organized crime figures, and Butina, in her email, called the allegations against him “baseless,” adding: “Mr. Torshin has been repeatedly cleared of all allegations by multiple investigative services.”

While the near-meeting averted what could have been, at a minimum, a political embarrassment for the White House, Torshin’s trip to Washington illustrates what some U.S. intelligence sources say appears to be an aggressive Kremlin effort to forge alliances with conservative Republican Party leaders and activists, including figures close to the White House. They describe this as one element in the broader Russian “influence campaign” that included the Kremlin’s interference in the 2016 presidential election marked by cyberattacks on the Democratic National Committee and the email account of Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta.

Torshin, once a leader of Putin’s United Russia Party and a senator in the Duma before being named deputy governor of the Bank of Russia in 2015, is a key figure in the Kremlin’s outreach to the conservative movement in the United States. In addition to his appearance at the Prayer Breakfast — an event he has been attending for the past several years — Torshin is also a “life member” of the National Rifle Association — an organization that spent more than $30 million in support of President Trump’s campaign. Torshin has regularly shown up at the gun lobby’s annual conventions, even engaging in target-shooting contests in the exhibit halls with Republican strategists. His assistant, Butina, is the founding chair of a Russian gun rights group, the Right to Bear Arms, which has been described as a Russian version of the NRA. While attending last year’s NRA convention in Louisville, Ky., Torshin was introduced to Donald Trump Jr. at a private dinner at a Louisville restaurant, according to three sources familiar with the encounter.

“He’s sort of the conservatives’ favorite Russian,” said Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., who together with Rep. Tom Massie, R-Ky., had dinner with Torshin and other members of the Russian delegation to the Prayer Breakfast at a Washington restaurant. “He’s someone who understands our system. His approach is, ‘I agree with you Americans: People should have a right to own guns. There should be religious freedom. The whole problem is with radical Muslims. We were able to have a very good exchange.”

But even while forging ties with Rohrabacher and other conservative Republicans, such as former NRA president David Keene and veteran GOP consultant and Trump transition adviser Paul Erickson, Torshin has been on the radar of international law enforcement officials as a result of a long-running Spanish police investigation into a Russian organized crime syndicate known as the Taganskaya. The group has been accused of laundering profits from racketeering, extortion and other criminal activities through real estate and hotel investments on the Spanish island of Mallorca. Spanish police have made several arrests in connection with the investigation, and an alleged leader of the group, a Russian businessman named Alexander Romanov, pleaded guilty to money-laundering charges in the case last year.

The El País story reports that Spanish national police had wiretapped Romanov and recorded 33 telephone conversations he had with Torshin in which the accused mobster referred to the Russian banker as “el padrino,” or godfather. Alerted that Torshin was planning to attend Romanov’s birthday party on August 23, 2013, the national police prepared to arrest the banker, deploying a dozen officers at the airport and at the Mallorca hotel where the party was to take place. But a Russian official in the Ministry of Interior at the Russian Embassy in Madrid had been informed about the operation. When Torshin failed to show, Spanish police concluded the Interior official had tipped Torshin off. “We suspect that it was he who advised that Torshin was being investigated in Spain and for that reason, he did not come,” a judicial source is quoted as telling El País.

The thwarted plans to arrest Torshin frustrated Spanish law enforcement officials about the level of cooperation they were receiving from the Russian government in their investigations into organized crime. It prompted them to conclude it would be pointless to formally charge Torshin and seek his extradition, especially given his official position, according to the El País report. “it would have delayed the investigation, it would have slowed it,” a judicial source is quoted as saying. “We do not have the support of the Russian authorities.”

Bloomberg News, citing the Spanish National Police dossier prepared under the direction of the country’s best-known prosecutor, Jose Grinda, first reported last year that Torshin was a key suspect in the investigation. Since then, El País has obtained a copy and shared it with Yahoo News as part of a collaborative reporting project for this story.

Citing the intercepted telephone calls between Romanov and Torshin, the dossier states that “above Romanov at a higher hierarchical level is Alexander Torshin. In the numerous telephone conversations and with different interlocutors, Alexander Romanov himself recognizes the subordination that he reveals to what he calls the ‘padrino or ‘the chief’…” — a reference to Torshin.

The report portrays Torshin’s activities as an example of the penetration of the Russian government by Russian and Euro-Asian criminal organizations. It quotes from some of the wiretapped calls in which Romanov tells an associate he was investing in a Mallorca hotel, called Mar y Pins, on Torshin’s behalf. “The Chief instructed him to buy a hotel because he has two daughters and wants one of them to inherit it besides the stock packages,” the report states, summarizing one of Romanov’s phone calls with an associate. He explains in another wiretapped call that he was fronting for Torshin on the hotel purchase because “the padrino cannot buy here … because he is a public official.”

When interviewed last year by Bloomberg in his office in Moscow, where he kept a small bust of Putin, Torshin dismissed the allegations as groundless and characterized his conversations with Romanov as purely social. In an emailed statement to El País, a press spokesman for the Bank of Russia said: “Spanish law enforcement agencies have never brought any charges against Mr. Torshin nor have they made any inquiries. Furthermore, they have never provided either Mr. Torshin or Russian law enforcement agencies with any kind of information about the alleged ties of Mr. Torshin with organized crime. Mr. Torshin was acquainted with Alexander Romanov in 1990s, their contacts were informal in nature and terminated seven years ago. Mr. Torshin has never intended to visit Alexander Romanov. Mr. Torshin has never had any business connections with Alexander Romanov. Mr. Torshin has never owned real estate or business in Spain.”

The spokesman also said that Torshin has “privately attended the Prayer Breakfast” over the past 12 years. “In 2017, he attended the Prayer Breakfast when he was officially on vacation. In addition, President Trump has never proposed a meeting to Mr. Torshin.”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house- ... 26495.html

Donald Trump and Russia: follow the money laundering
By Bill Palmer | April 3, 2017 | 0

So I heard from Russian oligarch Dmitry Rybolovlev today through his spokesman. It was a surreal moment considering how much of a ghost-like figure he’s been throughout the Trump-Russia saga, popping up in strange times and places, never speaking. He only wished to cordially emphasize one point to me: that his 9.9% ownership stake in Bank of Cyprus was largely wiped out by the 2013 bailout. I got to thinking about why this point was important to him. And it made me realize that whoever is or is not involved, Trump-Russia is all going to come down to money laundering.

In a legal sense it doesn’t matter if Rybolovlev massively overpaid for Donald Trump’s house, or if he flew halfway around the world to meet up with Trump in various cities during or after the election. Those actions aren’t crimes, unless they’re part of something else. Deutsche Bank was recently caught laundering billions of dollars in Russian money through Bank of Cyprus into the hands of clients in places like New York City (source: CNN). Now that’s a crime. Pair it up with Deutsche Bank’s strange penchant for loaning large amounts of money to New York City resident Donald Trump (source: The Guardian), and you realize that these two things are either a really fascinating coincidence, or this is the most politically relevant money laundering scandal of all time.

No wonder Rybolovlev wants to emphasize that his association with Bank of Cyprus essentially ended four years ago; he’s trying to signal that he had nothing to do with this money laundering mess. The same benefit of the doubt can not be said of Wilbur Ross, who became Vice Chairman of Bank of Cyprus in 2014, and continued to hold that position until he resigned last month (link) – so he could become Donald Trump’s Secretary of Commerce. Ross isn’t going to be easily able to explain this away, and he’s not the only one still holding the Bank of Cyprus hot potato.

Donald Trump’s campaign chairman Paul Manafort was allegedly laundering tens of millions of dollars in payments from a Kremlin intermediary through that same Bank of Cyprus. If that’s provable, then Manafort is in huge legal trouble; he’d have to flip on Trump in order to avoid spending most of the rest of his life in prison. And whether Manafort flips or not, it feels like the shortest path for Trump going down on criminal activity is if it can be proven that the money Deutsche Bank was loaning to him was being laundered from Russia through Bank of Cyprus, and he knew it. That’s the kind of tangible, traceable crime that’s more easily proven than the subjective charge of conspiring with a foreign government to subvert the election process.

Trump will have one heck of a time explaining why he added the then-sitting Vice Chairman of the Bank of Cyprus to his own cabinet, if he had no involvement with Bank of Cyprus of himself. Is it feasible to believe that Wilbur Ross didn’t know about the money laundering going on in his bank? Will Ross have to flip on Trump for leniency? And why did Trump try to meet with alleged Russian mafia money laundering kingpin Alexander Torshin in February? (link). If the FBI can take down Donald Trump for money laundering, it won’t have to definitively prove an election rigging conspiracy to take him down; he’ll already be finished.

http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/don ... ring/2159/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:20 pm

km artlu » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:05 pm wrote:hey Iam

Thank you for the cordial tone of your analysis/critique. I'm in the midst of a few very busy days and nights and will return to your post when that's done to see if there's anything constructive I may have to add.

Meanwhile I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the tone of your response and that, in regards to:
"It's difficult for me to believe anyone contributing here could be so shallow in thought as to believe Trump is actually reforming the system to eliminate corruption."
I certainly do not hold any such belief.

Thank you, km. Good luck with your busy-ness.
Iamwhomiam

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:37 pm

km artlu » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:05 pm wrote:
I have chosen to do everything I can to depose trump and his Russian mob bosses

What then of Pence? One thing is certain - real power won't tolerate two presidents in succession being deposed. Bad for business.

“…but Mike Pence is worse”
By Bill Palmer | April 2, 2017 | 4

Whenever I write about the parameters for ousting Donald Trump from office, the comments from readers are always predictable: “…but Mike Pence is worse.” And on some level I agree. While Trump is dangerously deranged and corrupt in a manner which goes beyond political ideology, Pence is a conservative extremist with horrifying social beliefs. But in terms of political strategy, I say bring on Pence. And it’s not just because he’s less likely to get us all nuked.

If Trump had resigned two weeks into his presidency, it would have been spectacularly scandalous, but it would have fallen entirely on his own head. Moderates and undecideds and non-political types might have been inclined to give “President Pence” a chance. After all, whoever this Pence guy is, at least he didn’t quit like a baby after two weeks. Eventually they’d have figured out that Pence is such an extremist he makes George W. Bush look enlightened, but he might have had a productive year or two where he could advance his medieval social agenda before he got cornered. But I think that window has now closed.

Trump has now been on the job long enough to taint his entire administration. The average politically uncommitted American has now concluded that everyone in his administration is either a total buffoon who can’t complete a sentence, or a Russian spy who’s being investigated by the FBI. The first hundred days, where the majority party in Congress can be counted on to remain united before ultimately starting to worry about individually positioning themselves for midterm reelection, have been wasted. His approval rating is in the toilet, and any semblance of momentum is gone.

Worse for Mike Pence, the Russia scandal has grown so out of control that even he’s been caught lying about Michael Flynn’s lies. No one knows for sure why Pence is participating in the coverup, but he sure is making himself look dirty. If Trump resigns in frustration now, or if he’s nudged into resigning by congressional Republicans in six months because they’re tired of having to answer for him, Pence is simply going to inherit the mess Trump has made – and he’s going to be seen by the mainstream public as having been part of the problem.

If “President Mike Pence” enters office at this point, he won’t get a grace period. He’ll face immense immediate pressure to answer for and deal with the Russia scandal. No matter how he handles it, he can’t win. If Trump gets indicted or convicted or imprisoned after leaving office, Pence looks guilty for having been his running mate in a rigged election. If Pence pardons Trump, then Pence becomes irrelevant right then and there (see Gerald Ford). And even though conservative Republicans in Congress will want to work with Pence to the extent that they can, by that time the entire administration will have become a black hole that they’re afraid of getting sucked into by association.

So I say bring on that evil bastard Mike Pence. Let’s get rid of Donald Trump, who could get us all killed at any moment, and let’s put a phenomenally scandalized and crippled Pence in the Oval Office. Then we fight him at every turn. We make sure he can’t harm the civil rights of those in America who don’t look like him. We drive his approval rating into the gutter. We force him to nominate a new VP who’s more toward the center. And then if it turns out Pence was guilty on Russia, then we oust him too. Then we finish out the term with the third guy, who by then will have absolutely no political capital at all. This was always going to be a four year fight. But ousting Trump is the biggest and most important step in surviving that fight.
http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/but ... orse/2153/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:16 pm

We've heard complaints from those on the right that those on the left, Democratic Party members especially, are whining because they lost the presidential election and would they please shut-up with all the talk about Russia!

But I don't think they're whining because they lost the election, but rather, because of the onerous and destructive policies Trump has already implemented and those he's announced he's planned to institute as well as his scandalous cabinet appointments, to say nothing about the few SCOTUS members he'll get to appoint.

The Russian connections to our White House occupant and his affiliates need to be explored without partisan opinions ruling our commentary, if that's at all possible.

And if those on the right feel tired of hearing about the Russians, listen to your Commander in Chief go on and on and ask yourself if the viewpoint you hold today is really yours or the one Trump wants you to have?

Those not wanting to watch the whole bit can start viewing at 11:27:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0utzB6oDan0#t=704.319325
Iamwhomiam

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:50 pm

Right Turn Opinion
The big Russia questions loom even larger
By Jennifer Rubin April 3 at 10:30 AM
Clint Watts, a senior fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute Program on National Security, talks with reporters on Capitol Hill last Thursday, following his testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee hearing on Russian intelligence activities. (Susan Walsh/Associated Press)
Following his extraordinary testimony last week, former FBI special agent Clint Watts appeared on “Meet the Press” on Sunday. This exchange, in which he explained Russia’s “active measures” during the 2016 campaign, was eye-popping:

CLINT WATTS:

What they want to do is use information as a weapon of warfare to undermine U.S. democracy, such that when we crumble from the inside out, we can’t take aggressive foreign policy or stop their foreign policy around the world. So the way they do that is by using what’s called a state-to-people and a people-to-people strategy. They’re going to bypass the U.S. government, go straight to our Democratic electorate, and try and undermine trust, create divisions, and foment chaos. . . .

The new social media that’s out there, Twitter, Facebook, and the way advertisements are done, the way you can demographically target people, the same way we see it with our own political campaigns in the United States, you can use that as an adversary as well. And so what they do is they create automated technology, commonly referred to as bots, to create what look like armies of Americans.

And they can reprogram those. They can make your biography look like you’re a supporter of one candidate or another, and then they’ll push a series of manipulated truths or fake stories through those accounts to where you think I’m talking to someone who supports my candidate, this makes it more believable, and I’m more amenable to that news.

CHUCK TODD:

Now there has been obviously part of the investigation is was there any collusion, was there any, essentially, any American support to this operation. What can you tell about that?

CLINT WATTS:

Well, I noted in my testimony the two times where there was obvious use of Russian propaganda. One was, Paul Manafort cited it in ’14 August, the fake ancillary campaign we talked about, and then President Trump mistakenly cited what everyone thinks is a Sputnik news story. But beyond that, the synchronization at times, how many times the campaign picked up on lines that were promoted by the Kremlin, or vice versa, created lines that were then the Kremlin promoted back into the U.S. base was ironic. It was hard to see that with any other campaign.

CHUCK TODD:

And so was Donald Trump specifically targeted by this Russian operation as a person to help spread this news?

CLINT WATTS:

I don’t think they saw him as a person to spread the news. They just knew that he was opportunistic during his campaign. So if you put stuff that helps his campaign, he will likely use it. And they really turned towards him in August of ’15. That’s when you started to see those stories pop up. But they also pushed for Bernie Sanders at times too. They would go on the left and the right. It’s bipartisan.

Understand what he is saying: The now president of the United States and his campaign team either wittingly or unwittingly helped carry Russian disinformation targeted at American democracy. The magnitude of that analysis has yet to sink in. Consider the number of questions that raises, and the implications for the investigation underway.

[Why is Trump flailing? Because Americans hate his agenda, and it’s based on lies.]

Read These Comments
The best conversations on The Washington Post
How did Paul Manafort, Carter Page and Michael T. Flynn, all enriched by surrogates of Russia (in Manafort’s case by the Kremlin’s stooge in Ukraine and in Flynn’s case, RT, among others) come to work on a single campaign? Did whoever put them there know the extent of their Russian connections? Did Trump? Never in any campaign have so many pro-Russian, Russian-paid advisers worked for a single presidential candidate — one who wound up refusing to criticize Russia and indeed echoing its disinformation.

In this context Flynn’s failure to reveal his payments from multiple Russian entities in initial financial filings submitted under oath become exceptionally troubling. As CNN reported, “Flynn’s initial disclosures, which he submitted in mid-February, left out that he received money from Russia’s state-funded television network, RT, for a speech in Moscow and from air cargo company Volga-Dnepr Airlines and cybersecurity firm Kaspersky Government Security Solutions Inc. for speaking engagements in the United States.” Flynn, you may recall, denied previously that RT was a Russian propaganda outfit.

Trump’s inclination to pick up Russian propaganda themes is yet another deeply disturbing pattern. In addition to the specific story Watts cited, Trump also echoed familiar Russian themes (e.g., voter fraud, the system is “rigged”) and adopted Russian propaganda at one point by suggesting Russia would not go into Ukraine (when Russia had already seized Crimea). His message of a moral equivalence between the United States and Russia (on killing people, for example) was something that could have come from Vladimir Putin’s mouth.

[The right’s jarring drift toward Russia]

How did that come to pass? Did aides either intentionally or unintentionally pass tidbits on to him or was Russia so successful in getting conspiracy-minded right-wing outlets to pick them up that the Trump campaign got them indirectly and unknowingly?

And this brings it back to Trump and his own ties to Russia. He has fervently denied any association with Russians. And yet we know he had extensive ties to Russian oligarchs. “To expand his real estate developments over the years, Donald Trump, his company and partners repeatedly turned to wealthy Russians and oligarchs from former Soviet republics — several allegedly connected to organized crime, according to a USA TODAY review of court cases, government and legal documents and an interview with a former federal prosecutor.” Just among the deals discovered so far we know that “[t]he president and his companies have been linked to at least 10 wealthy former Soviet businessmen with alleged ties to criminal organizations or money laundering.”

Any one of these things — Russian-enriched advisers, echoing Russia propaganda and trying to conceal extensive business dealings with Russians — would be enough to set off alarm bells. The presence of all three is, well, astounding. What’s more, when this was all laid out to him first as a candidate and then as president he refused to concede the findings of months and months of U.S. intelligence in uncovering the Russian “active measures.” Such denial was blindness, at best, and potentially intentional misrepresentation seeking to end inquiry into Russia’s “active measures,” at worst.

No effort to investigate the extent of the cooperation between the Trump team and Russians therefore can go forward without a full inquiry into Trump’s finances, including his tax returns, which — wouldn’t you know it? — he has refused to disclose. It would be as if the FBI were investigating a small-town mayor for alleged corruption based on mob ties without examining the mayor’s finances. That would on its face be preposterous.

So far the Senate Intelligence Committee has demonstrated real bipartisanship and diligence. The test will come, however, when it becomes apparent that only Trump can answer certain questions and that his tax returns are a critical part of the investigation. Perhaps if the Senate falters, a combination of conscientious House Republican moderates, Freedom Caucus members and a unified Democratic caucus can demand the information. If not, only a change in control of the House with the threat of impeachment will pry the information out of Trump.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ri ... 6b12e8048d

Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims — 1.6 billion members of an entire religion — from entering the U.S.
and the Russian Mob owns his soul
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:04 pm

National Security
Blackwater founder held secret Seychelles meeting to establish Trump-Putin back channel
Trump donor secretly met with Russian close to Putin Play Video2:21
Blackwater founder Erik Prince met with a Russian person close to President Vladimir Putin, according to U.S., European and Arab officials. (Sarah Parnass/The Washington Post)
By Adam Entous, Greg Miller, Kevin Sieff and Karen DeYoung April 3 at 4:29 PM
The United Arab Emirates arranged a secret meeting in January between Blackwater founder Erik Prince and a Russian close to President Vladi­mir Putin as part of an apparent effort to establish a back-channel line of communication between Moscow and President-elect Donald Trump, according to U.S., European and Arab officials.

The meeting took place around Jan. 11 — nine days before Trump’s inauguration — in the Seychelles islands in the Indian Ocean, officials said. Though the full agenda remains unclear, the UAE agreed to broker the meeting in part to explore whether Russia could be persuaded to curtail its relationship with Iran, including in Syria, a Trump administration objective that would be likely to require major concessions to Moscow on U.S. sanctions.

Though Prince had no formal role with the Trump campaign or transition team, he presented himself as an unofficial envoy for Trump to high-ranking Emiratis involved in setting up his meeting with the Putin confidant, according to the officials, who did not identify the Russian.

Prince was an avid supporter of Trump. After the Republican convention, he contributed $250,000 to Trump’s campaign, the national party and a pro-Trump super PAC led by GOP mega-donor Rebekah Mercer, records show. He has ties to people in Trump’s circle, including Stephen K. Bannon, now serving as the president’s chief strategist and senior counselor. Prince’s sister Betsy DeVos serves as education secretary in the Trump administration. And Prince was seen in the Trump transition offices in New York in December.

U.S. officials said the FBI has been scrutinizing the Seychelles meeting as part of a broader probe of Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election and alleged contacts between associates of Putin and Trump. The FBI declined to comment.

The Seychelles encounter, which one official said spanned two days, adds to an expanding web of connections between Russia and Americans with ties to Trump — contacts that the White House has been reluctant to acknowledge or explain until they have been exposed by news organizations.

“We are not aware of any meetings and Erik Prince had no role in the transition,” said Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary.

A Prince spokesman said in a statement: “Erik had no role on the transition team. This is a complete fabrication. The meeting had nothing to do with President Trump. Why is the so-called under-resourced intelligence community messing around with surveillance of American citizens when they should be hunting terrorists?”

Prince is best known as the founder of Blackwater, a security firm that became a symbol of U.S. abuses in Iraq after a series of incidents including one in 2007 in which the company’s guards were accused — and later criminally convicted — of killing civilians in a crowded Iraqi square. Prince sold the firm, which was subsequently rebranded, but has continued building a private paramilitary empire with contracts across the Middle East and Asia. He now heads a Hong Kong-based company known as the Frontier Services Group.

Prince would probably have been seen as too controversial to serve in any official capacity in the Trump transition or administration. But his ties to Trump advisers, experience with clandestine work and relationship with the royal leaders of the Emirates — where he moved in 2010 amid mounting legal problems for his American business — would have positioned him as an ideal go-between.

The Seychelles meeting came after separate private discussions in New York involving high-ranking representatives of Trump with both Moscow and the Emirates.

The White House has acknowledged that Michael T. Flynn, Trump’s original national security adviser, and Trump adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner met with the Russian ambassador to the United States, Sergey Kislyak, in late November or early December in New York.

Team Trump’s ties to Russian interests VIEW GRAPHIC
Flynn and Kushner were joined by Bannon for a separate meeting with the crown prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed al-Nahyan, who made an undisclosed visit to New York later in December, according to the U.S., European and Arab officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.

In an unusual breach of protocol, the UAE did not notify the Obama administration in advance of the visit, though officials found out because Zayed’s name appeared on a flight manifest.

Officials said Zayed and his brother, the UAE’s national security adviser, coordinated the Seychelles meeting with Russian government officials with the goal of establishing an unofficial back channel between Trump and Putin.

Officials said Zayed wanted to be helpful to both leaders who had talked about working more closely together, a policy objective long advocated by the crown prince. The UAE, which sees Iran as one of its main enemies, also shared the Trump team’s interest in finding ways to drive a wedge between Moscow and Tehran.

Zayed met twice with Putin in 2016, according to Western officials, and urged the Russian leader to work more closely with the Emirates and Saudi Arabia — an effort to isolate Iran.

At the time of the Seychelles meeting and for weeks afterward, the UAE believed that Prince had the blessing of the new administration to act as its unofficial representative. The Russian participant was a person whom Zayed knew was close to Putin from his interactions with both men, the officials said.

When the Seychelles meeting took place, official contacts between members of the incoming Trump administration and the Russian government were under intense scrutiny, both from federal investigators and the press.

Less than a week before the Seychelles meeting, U.S. intelligence agencies released a report accusing Russia of intervening clandestinely during the 2016 election to help Trump win the White House.

The FBI was already investigating communications between Flynn and Kislyak. The Washington Post’s David Ignatius first disclosed those communications on Jan. 12, around the time of the Seychelles meeting. Flynn was subsequently fired by Trump for misleading Vice President Pence and others about his discussions with Kislyak.

Yousef Al Otaiba, the UAE’s ambassador in Washington, declined to comment.

Government officials in the Seychelles said they were not aware of any meetings between Trump and Putin associates in the country around Jan. 11. But they said luxury resorts on the island are ideal for clandestine gatherings like the one described by the U.S., European and Arab officials.

“I wouldn’t be surprised at all,” said Barry Faure, the Seychelles secretary of state for foreign affairs. “The Seychelles is the kind of place where you can have a good time away from the eyes of the media. That’s even printed in our tourism marketing. But I guess this time you smelled something.”

Trump has dismissed the investigations of Russia’s role in the election as “fake news” and a “witch hunt.”

The level of discretion surrounding the Seychelles meeting seems extraordinary given the frequency with which senior Trump advisers, including Flynn and Kushner, had interacted with Russian officials in the United States, including at the high-profile Trump Tower in New York.

Steven Simon, a National Security Council senior director for the Middle East and North Africa in the Obama White House, said: “The idea of using business cutouts, or individuals perceived to be close to political leaders, as a tool of diplomacy is as old as the hills. These unofficial channels are desirable precisely because they are deniable; ideas can be tested without the risk of failure.”

Current and former U.S. officials said that while Prince refrained from playing a direct role in the Trump transition, his name surfaced so frequently in internal discussions that he seemed to function as an outside adviser whose opinions were valued on a range of issues, including plans for overhauling the U.S. intelligence community.

He appears to have particularly close ties to Bannon, appearing multiple times as a guest on Bannon’s satellite radio program over the past year as well as in articles on the Breitbart Web site that Bannon ran before joining the Trump campaign.

In a July interview with Bannon, Prince said those seeking forceful U.S. leadership should “wait till January and hope Mr. Trump is elected.” And he lashed out at President Barack Obama, saying that because of his policies “the terrorists, the fascists, are winning.”

Days before the November election, Prince appeared on Bannon’s program again, saying that he had “well-placed sources” in the New York City Police Department telling him they were preparing to make arrests in the investigation of former congressman Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.) over allegations he exchanged sexually explicit texts with a minor. Flynn tweeted a link to the Breitbart report on the claim. No arrests occurred.

Prince went on to make unfounded assertions that damaging material recovered from Weiner’s computers would implicate Hillary Clinton and her close adviser, Huma Abedin, who was married to Weiner. He also called Abedin an “agent of influence very sympathetic to the Muslim Brotherhood.”

Prince and his family were major GOP donors in 2016. The Center for Responsive Politics reported that the family gave more than $10 million to GOP candidates and super PACs, including about $2.7 million from his sister, DeVos, and her husband.

Prince’s father, Edgar Prince, built his fortune through an auto-parts company. Betsy married Richard DeVos Jr., heir to the Amway fortune.

Erik Prince has had lucrative contracts with the UAE government, which at one point paid his firm a reported $529 million to help bring in foreign fighters to help assemble an internal paramilitary force capable of carrying out secret operations and protecting Emirati installations from terrorist attacks.

The Trump administration and the UAE appear to share a similar preoccupation with Iran. Current and former officials said that Trump advisers were focused throughout the transition period on exploring ways to get Moscow to break ranks with Tehran.

“Separating Russia from Iran was a common theme,” said a former intelligence official in the Obama administration who met with Trump transition officials. “It didn’t seem very well thought out. It seemed a little premature. They clearly had a very specific policy position, which I found odd given that they hadn’t even taken the reins and explored with experts in the U.S. government the pros and cons of that approach.”

Michael McFaul, former U.S. ambassador to Russia, said he also had discussions with people close to the Trump administration about the prospects of drawing Russia away from Iran. “When I would hear this, I would think, ‘Yeah that’s great for you guys, but why would Putin ever do that?’ ” McFaul said. “There is no interest in Russia ever doing that. They have a long relationship with Iran. They’re allied with Iran in fighting in Syria. They sell weapons to Iran. Iran is an important strategic partner for Russia in the Middle East.”

Following the New York meeting between the Emiratis and Trump aides, Zayed was approached by Prince, who said he was authorized to act as an unofficial surrogate for the president-elect, according to the officials. He wanted Zayed to set up a meeting with a Putin associate. Zayed agreed and proposed the Seychelles as the meeting place because of the privacy it would afford both sides. “He wanted to be helpful,” one official said of Zayed.

Wealthy Russians and Emirati royalty have a particularly large footprint on the islands. Signs advertising deep-sea fishing trips are posted in Cyrillic. Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov owns North Island, where Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, went on their honeymoon in 2011. Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahyan, president of the UAE, built a hilltop palace for himself with views across the chain of islands.

The Emiratis have given hundreds of millions of dollars to the Seychelles in recent years for causes including public health and affordable housing. But when the Emirati royal family visits, they are rarely seen.

“The jeep comes to their private jet on the tarmac and they disappear,” said one Seychellois official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he did not want to be seen as criticizing the Emiratis.

Zayed, the crown prince, owns a share of the Seychelles’ Four Seasons, a collection of private villas scattered on a lush hillside on the main island’s southern shore, overlooking the Indian Ocean, according to officials in the Seychelles. The hotel is tucked away on a private beach, far from the nearest public road.

Current and former U.S. officials who have worked closely with Zayed, who is often referred to as MBZ, say it would be out of character for him to arrange the Jan. 11 meeting without getting a green light in advance from top aides to Trump and Putin, if not the leaders themselves. “MBZ is very cautious,” said an American businessman who knows Zayed and spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject. “There had to be a nod.”

The Seychelles meeting was deemed productive by the UAE and Russia but the idea of arranging additional meetings between Prince and Putin’s associates was dropped, officials said. Even unofficial contacts between Trump and Putin associates had become too politically risky, officials said.

Sieff reported from the Seychelles. Julie Tate, Devlin Barrett, Matea Gold, Tom Hamburger and Rosalind S. Helderman contributed to this report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... cbd084cd90

1. SHADY
Blackwater Founder Reportedly Met With Russian Official on Trump’s Behalf

REUTERS/LARRY DOWNING
Blackwater founder Erik Prince held a two-day meeting in the Seychelles with a person close to Russian President Vladimir Putin, in a bid to create a secret line of contact between the Kremlin and then-President-elect Donald Trump, The Washington Post reported Monday. The January 11 meeting was reportedly brokered by officials in the United Arab Emirates. Prince is the founder of private security firm Blackwater, which has been the subject of numerous human rights abuse allegation, civil suits, and criminal cases, including one in 2007 when Blackwater employees killed Iraqi civilians. Prince is also the brother of U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, and a prominent Trump donor, giving $250,000 to Trump and affiliated PACs during the 2016 presidential campaign. While Prince had no official role in the Trump transition, officials told the Post that he presented himself as an unofficial conduit for the Trump administration. The full details of Prince's two-day meeting are unclear, although the UAE's involvement suggests the meeting could have addressed Russia's relations with Iran, a country with which the UAE has intense rivalry. The identity of the Putin confidant is also unknown. Both the White House and Prince refuted elements of the Post's story. Prince's spokesperson did not deny that Prince had been in the Seychelles, but told the Post that “the meeting had nothing to do with President Trump.” The Trump administration reportedly decided not to pursue further meetings, as communications between Trump and Russian officials were seen to be too risky.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/201 ... ce=copyurl

Betsy DeVos' Brother Established a Secret Trump-Putin Back Channel, Says Washington Post
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.co ... ngton_post

Betsy DeVos’ brother secretly met with Vladimir Putin rep during Donald Trump transition
By Bill Palmer | April 3, 2017 | 0

Erik Prince, the founder of security firm Blackwater and the brother of Donald Trump’s Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, secretly met with a close representative for Russian President Vladimir Putin during the Trump transition period in January. This bombshell new report from the Washington Post raises further questions about potential ties between DeVos and the Kremlin, which Palmer Report first documented nearly two months ago.

Prince held a secret offshore meeting with the Putin rep just nine days before Donald Trump’s inauguration, by which time Trump had already publicly announced Prince’s sister DeVos as his Education Secretary nominee. The Post is characterizing its own report as a “secret Seychelles meeting to establish Trump-Putin back channel,” though in that same story, Prince is quoting that the meeting had anything to do with Trump.

Back on February 11th, Palmer Report first reported that the private email server inside Trump Tower, which had been set up almost exclusively to communicate with a Russian bank, also kept a private channel open to a Michigan based health care company called Spectrum Health. Betsy DeVos and her husband Dick DeVos essentially control Spectrum Health, with two DeVos family members on its board of directors (link). Then on March 9th, CNN reported that the FBI was still actively investigating that same Trump Tower email server (link). On March 20th, FBI Director James Comey publicly confirmed during House Intelligence Committee hearings that his agency is in fact investigating the Trump campaign and Russia for election meddling, though Comey did not mention the server.

So this latest Washington Post report about Betsy DeVos’ brother meeting with a Vladimir Putin rep during the Trump transition period (link) is not the first time in this election cycle that DeVos and the Kremlin have found themselves connected with regard to Donald Trump. As always, we’ll keep digging.
http://www.palmerreport.com/news/brothe ... rump/2163/

Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims — 1.6 billion members of an entire religion — from entering the U.S.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:48 pm

The looming strategic disaster at Mar-a-Lago this week

China will try to buy off the Trump administration. It may very well succeed.

By Daniel W. Drezner April 3 at 8:15 AM
Daniel W. Drezner is a professor of international politics at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University and a regular contributor to PostEverything.
Mar-a-Lago isn't just Trump's vacation spot; it's his second White House Play Video2:57
The Washington Post's Jenna Johnson and Aaron Blake explain why President Trump spends so much time at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, and how he uses it as a second White House. (Peter Stevenson/The Washington Post)
Full disclosure: the hard-working staff here at Spoiler Alerts did not want to talk about President Trump’s foreign policy musings today. Nope. My book “The Ideas Industry: How Pessimists, Partisans, and Plutocrats are Transforming the Marketplace of Ideas” was officially released on Monday, so I was thinking maybe I’d try to convince you to buy it by clicking on this link or something.

But no, after reading about the preparations for Trump’s scheduled summit with Chinese premier Xi Jinping at Mar-a-Lago later this week, I have to write about this. I blame man-in-charge-of-Mexico-and-Canada-and-the-Middle-East-and-China-and-government-reform-and-criminal-justice-reform Jared Kushner.

Three stories dropped over the weekend about Kushner’s role in planning this summit. The Financial Times’ Edward Luce was first:

Though he has almost no China background, Jared Kushner, Mr Trump’s son-in-law, is leading the US preparation for next week’s meeting. His counterpart is Cui Tiankai, China’s ambassador in Washington. That, alone, gives China an edge. Mr Cui is a professional diplomat who knows America well — he did his postgraduate studies in the US capital and worked as an interpreter at the UN.

Mr Kushner’s chief qualification is that he is married to the president’s daughter. Mr Cui has just one job — US-China relations. Among other things, Mr Kushner is the White House point person for Middle East peace, criminal justice reform and US business innovation.

China seems to have grasped that the best way to influence Mr Trump is via his family. Chinese diplomats have gone out of their way to court Mr Kushner and Ivanka Trump, who were their guests of honour at the Chinese new year celebration in February. China has also looked favourably on Mr Trump’s business.

The New York Times’ Mark Landler offers up some additional details that help to explain why China is working through Kushner rather than, say, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson:

Mr. Kushner’s central role reflects not only the peculiar nature of this first meeting between Mr. Trump and Mr. Xi, but also of the broader relationship between the United States and China in the early days of the Trump administration. It is at once highly personal and bluntly transactional — a strategy that carries significant risks, experts said, given the economic and security issues that already divide the countries.

While Chinese officials have found Mr. Trump a bewildering figure with a penchant for inflammatory statements, they have come to at least one clear judgment: In Mr. Trump’s Washington, his son-in-law is the man to know. …

China’s courtship of Mr. Kushner, which has coincided with the marginalization of the State Department in the Trump administration, reflects a Chinese comfort with dynastic links. Mr. Xi is himself a “princeling”: His father was Xi Zhongxun, a major figure in the Communist revolution who was later purged by Mao Zedong.

It’s so great that the American political system resembles China’s political system enough for the Trump administration for have its very own princeling.

Trump: 'I look very much forward to meeting' China's president Play Video0:37
President Trump criticized jobs "going to China and other places," during a meeting with manufacturers on March 31. He said he's looking forward to a "very important, very special" meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping at Mar-a-Lago. (The Washington Post)
So, what will Trump want from this summit? He has seemed to suggest that he’s going to be tough with Xi. This past Thursday, Trump tweeted out, “The meeting next week with China will be a very difficult one in that we can no longer have massive trade deficits and job losses. American companies must be prepared to look at other alternatives.” There’s also this from his interview with the Financial Times:

You know when you talk about, when you talk about currency manipulation, when you talk about devaluations, they are world champions. And our country hasn’t had a clue, they haven’t had a clue. The past administration hasn’t had and many administrations — I don’t want to say only Obama; this has gone on for many years — They haven’t had a clue. But I do.

The thing is, China has been intervening to support the renminbi in recent years. It’s almost as though Trump is complaining about a problem that is 10 years out of date or something.

How can one square Trump’s harsh rhetoric with Kushner’s efforts to be the point man? My colleague Josh Rogin has a possible answer. It involves Henry Kissinger:

The Kushner channel was established shortly after the election with the help of former secretary of state Henry Kissinger. In a series of meetings with top Chinese officials, Kushner and other Trump aides set the tone and broad agenda for the coming summit, well before the current policy process began. When Trump meets with Xi at Mar-a-Lago, the leaders could codify those early discussions, with huge implications for the United States, China and the Asia-Pacific region. …

In the meetings, laid out a list of Chinese requests. China wants the Trump administration to adopt its concept of “a new model of great power relations,” Xi’s proposal to avoid conflict and focus on cooperation. China also wants Trump to endorse Xi’s signature “One Belt, One Road” initiative, China’s massive regional infrastructure and development project. China also seeks U.S. noninterference in issues it considers core interests, including Taiwan, Tibet and its internal affairs.

In exchange, the Chinese are prepared to offer as-yet-unspecified investment proposals to help advance Trump’s domestic agenda of creating jobs. Kushner and Cui have kept in close communication and the Chinese leadership has come to rely on the Kushner channel, which was used to help arrange the coming summit.

If you’ll all excuse me for one second:

First of all, suddenly Tillerson’s odd decision to parrot Xi’s language on great power relationships makes sense. If this is what the Chinese want from the Trump administration, the White House appears eager to oblige. This is likely because Trump does not place a high value on words. U.S. allies in the region will be paying close attention, however.

Second of all, can someone please explain to Trump and Kushner that one of the ways that China can devalue its currency is by buying up American assets? A world where the U.S. simultaneously increases exports to China and foreign direct investment from China is not next to impossible.

Third, and finally, a nascent grand strategy is becoming visible for the Trump administration, and it’s a rather disturbing one. The grand strategy is that the administration demonstrates a willingness to rent out its foreign policy to any interested investor. So long as Trump can proclaim some glossy, high-profile investments, he is willing to trade off U.S. interests in the Pacific Rim or Europe or wherever. Which means that countries such as China can have their way with Trump so long as they meet the minimum price, which is a few promised billions.

This is a dangerous and stupid game to play. Current shifts in foreign policy can have long-lasting effects; announcements of investments can be followed by non-implementation. It also guarantees that all of America’s allies in the Pacific Rim will gravitate closer to China than the United States.

I don’t mean to suggest that a new Cold War with China is a better outcome. It isn’t. I don’t want Peter Navarro running China policy either. I’m all for endorsing One Belt, One Road as a stabilizing move for Asia. But it is hard not to conclude that Trump and Kushner are spectacularly out of their depth on these issues. Worse, Trump displays no metacognition whatsoever: He doesn’t know what he doesn’t know, and probably never will. He and Kushner will therefore sell off core national interests and investments at cut-rate prices.

That’s usually what happens when neophytes bargain with experts.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... 8e7b85db54

Russian Billionaire Tied To Paul Manafort Is $1.6 Billion Richer Since Trump's Election
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby SonicG » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Not sure why that piece is here but thanks for it. It supports my feelings that Trump talked tough on NorKor because it makes him feel manly or whatever but Kushner is there to make sure that the US bends to China for financial gain, albeit token investment for the gift of TPP cancellation and weakened presence of the US in Asia...
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:53 pm

yeah I got confused with all the new Erik Prince stuff :)

speaking of China

and another thing

De-Derping the 'Un-Masking' Story

Mary Altaffer
ByJOSH MARSHALLPublishedAPRIL 3, 2017, 7:21 PM EDT
4908Views
My read on Eli Lake's story about Susan Rice 'unmasking' Trump transition officials is that it's a rather elaborate attempt to make a scandal out of something that isn't scandalous at all. Given what we know just about Mike Flynn's activities in November and December of 2016 alone, Rice's alleged actions don't seem that surprising at all. National security experts seem to agree.

But here's something in the story that got my attention.

Read this paragraph, the third graf down in the story.

The National Security Council's senior director for intelligence, Ezra Cohen-Watnick, was conducting the review, according to two U.S. officials who spoke with Bloomberg View on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly. In February Cohen-Watnick discovered Rice's multiple requests to unmask U.S. persons in intelligence reports that related to Trump transition activities. He brought this to the attention of the White House General Counsel's office, who reviewed more of Rice's requests and instructed him to end his own research into the unmasking policy.
What jumps out to me here is the last sentence. Cohen-Watnick, whose new boss, National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster, was trying to fire him while all this was happening, took his 'research' to the White House Counsel's Office. They reviewed what he had come up with, did some additional research on Rice's requests and then "instructed him to end his own research."

This is all very cryptic and it's sort of a throwaway line in Lake's story. It's so spare you could read a number of possibilities into the sentence. Maybe the Counsel's office said, 'Wow, this is so big we need to take over this critical investigation you've started. Thank you so much for your work.' But that does not seem like the most likely read.

I would suggest that a much more plausible read is that Cohen-Watnick brought his 'research' to the Counsel's office, they looked at and basically said, 'Knock it off.'

That would make sense on a few fronts.

As even Lake concedes, Rice's alleged actions - if the report is accurate - were almost certainly legal. Most national security experts say they were not only legal but entirely proper. Moreover, the kind of snooping around that Cohen-Watnick was apparently doing could very plausibly be interpreted as an attempt to monitor or interfere with the on-going counter-intelligence probe of Trump associates' ties to Russia. The White House Counsel's job is to protect and look after the legal interests of the President. A good lawyer would likely want to shut that kind of freelancing down right away, especially if what Cohen-Watnick had found didn't amount to anything that helped the President or the White House.

The paragraph above also says Cohen-Watnick was "conducting the review." But what review was that? It's not clear this 'review' was authorized by anyone and it's fairly implausible that he just stumbled on this stuff in the first place 'in the normal course of business', as he and the White House claim. His review apparently began in February. So if it was authorized it was likely okayed by Mike Flynn - another red flag.

So did Cohen-Watnick get shut down by White House Counsel Donald McGahn?

The main reason this read makes sense to me is what happened subsequently.

Why did Cohen-Watnick and Michael Ellis, a junior lawyer who used to work for Chairman Nunes, call Nunes late in the evening and have him rush over to the White House to see the 'smoking gun' information that supposedly validated President Trump's 'Obama wiretapping' tweets? Remember, this overnight cloak and dagger stunt was followed the next day by Nunes going and 'briefing' President Trump about the new information.

So the White House briefs Nunes in the middle of the night and then Nunes returns to the White House in the morning to brief Trump?

That never made sense.

But it makes perfect sense if Cohen-Watnick (Mike Flynn's protege, remember) got shut down by McGahn and then decided to backchannel his findings to Trump supporters on the Hill in order to do an end run around his bosses. It also explains why Nunes had to see the documents at the White House (likely at Ellis's or Cohen-Watnick's desk) rather than on Capitol Hill or at a relevant intelligence agency. Showing him the material anywhere else would have required letting others know what they were doing. Of course, it also explains why Nunes would need to brief Trump: because Cohen-Watnick probably wasn't allowed to do so directly.

This is, I grant, informed speculation. But it explains pretty much all the facts and mysteries about the Nunes overnight caper, his continuing inability to explain it in any clear or consistent way and his eventual refusal to discuss it with anyone else on his Committee.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/de- ... king-story
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:15 pm

remember this?

Bank that Kushner met with paid Russian intelligence agent's legal tab
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/29/politics/ ... veb-agent/

well remember this

The Spy Who Added Me on LinkedIn
Russia had operatives in New York for years, from Wall Street to the UN. Now one is headed to prison.
by Garrett M Graff
November 15, 2016, 4:00 AM CST

Evgeny Buryakov appears in federal court in Manhattan on Jan. 26, 2015, after his arrest earlier in the day. Photographer: Elizabeth Williams/AP
Evgeny Buryakov woke up to a snowstorm. On the morning of Jan. 26, 2015, his modest brick home in the Bronx was getting the first inches of what would be almost a foot of powder, and Buryakov, the No. 2 executive at the New York branch of a Russian bank, decided to skip work and head around the corner to a grocery store to buy supplies for his family of four. As the 39-year-old Russian bundled into his winter gear and closed the front door of his house behind him, he didn’t realize he would never set foot in it again.

Since the Buryakovs’ arrival in New York in August 2010, they had seemed like any other immigrant family in the melting-pot Bronx neighborhood of Riverdale. Of average height and build, Evgeny’s only curious feature might have been his near-obsessive taste for McDonald’s. The kids in nice weather played in the sandbox out back, next to the clothesline where their mother, Marina, liked to hang their laundry. While Evgeny commuted to the 29th floor of a Manhattan high rise, she shuttled the children to a nearby parochial school and to afternoon activities like karate. The two nuns who lived next door watched the family parrot while the Buryakovs went on ski vacations.

But Evgeny was leading a double life. His real employer wasn’t a bank, but Russia’s SVR intelligence agency. For a decade, Buryakov had been working under “nonofficial cover”—a NOC, in spy talk—and, now on Wall Street, his task was to extract corporate and financial secrets and report them back to Moscow. His two handlers, also undercover, were attempting to recruit unwitting sources at consulting firms and other businesses into long-term relationships.

Berlin was once the espionage capital of the world—the place where East met West, and where undercover operatives from the KGB, CIA, MI6, and untold other agencies practiced spycraft in the shadow of the Berlin Wall. Since the end of the Cold War, however, New York has probably hosted more intelligence activity than any other city. The various permanent missions and visiting delegations at the United Nations, where even countries that are otherwise banned from the U.S. are allowed staff, have provided cover for dozens of agencies to operate. Wall Street has offered further pretexts for mining information, with its swirl of cocktail parties, networking events, and investor conferences.

The espionage story of the year, and perhaps one of the greatest foreign operations in decades, has undoubtedly been Russia’s successful effort to influence this fall’s presidential election through hacking—penetrating Democratic National Committee servers and the e-mail account of John Podesta, Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman. The strategy marks an evolution for Russia, which historically has valued so-called HUMINT, or human intelligence, over SIGINT, or signals intelligence. It’s an evolution borne of some necessity, as Russia has in recent years struggled to install spies on American soil. The Buryakov affair illustrates the point. As the U.S. election was reeling this spring toward its astonishing conclusion, Russia’s Wall Street spy was being sentenced, haplessly, to prison.

“Whispered conversations always feel sexier”

Maria Ricci has spent her FBI career chasing Russian spies up and down the East Coast. After majoring in English at Columbia and working as a lawyer in private practice, she joined the bureau 15 years ago, assigned to the counterintelligence squad. Her first job was known internally as Operation Ghost Stories—Ricci and other agents worked for almost a decade to track a ring of Russian illegals hidden across the country in what became the FBI’s largest espionage case ever. Their investigation ended in 2010 with the arrest of 10 individuals working for the SVR, Moscow’s version of the CIA, including a sultry redhead named Anna Chapman, who became an instant tabloid star. The case inspired the hit FX series The Americans, which follows two Russian “sleeper” spies living deep undercover in 1980s Washington.

When foreign diplomats come to the U.S. for the first time, the FBI routinely scouts their profiles to identify potential intelligence plants. If agents spot something suspicious, they’ll concoct a plan to smoke the person out. The FBI’s alarms were tripped in November 2010 by the arrival in New York of Igor Sporyshev, supposedly a trade representative of the Russian Federation. One red flag was that his father, Mikhail, had been a KGB officer and a major general in its successor agency, the Federal Security Service (FSB).

In 2011, Sporyshev attended a run-of-the-mill energy conference in New York—as did an FBI agent, posing as a Wall Street analyst. The Russian introduced himself, chatted amicably, exchanged business cards, and later followed up. “The Russians are incredibly good at what they do,” Ricci says. “They’re wary of all English speakers. What’s much easier, to get them to trust you, is if they approach you.”

In subsequent conversations, Sporyshev pushed the supposed analyst for information about the energy industry, such as company financial projections and strategy documents. The information wasn’t secret or even especially sensitive. It didn’t give Sporyshev an edge he could use to commit insider trading. Rather, asking for information like this reflected a Russian approach to intelligence that’s endured long after the Cold War.

Coming from a traditionally closed society where the media operates as an extension of the state, Russian agents tend to prioritize human recruitment and generally discount the huge amount of “open source” news and information that flows routinely out of the U.S. in government reports, independent news articles, and think tank analyses. “Whispered conversations always feel sexier,” Ricci says. And relationships that start out innocuously, with junior or midlevel workers, can be cultivated over years, until the target is senior and desensitized to sharing information with someone they think of as a longtime friend.

The FBI’s undercover agent played along with Sporyshev, handing over supposedly confidential corporate reports inside binders that had been rigged with voice-activated recording devices. From the outside, the binders appeared to be part of a numbered set. The agent told Sporyshev that the documents would be missed if they were absent too long and so they had to be returned promptly.

When the first of the binders began to flow back to the FBI, technicians downloaded the audio. “We got ‘take,’ ” they reported to Ricci, using the term for worthwhile intel. As linguists began to translate from Russian, it became clear the ruse had worked even better than the FBI had imagined. In a grave violation of security procedure, Sporyshev had carried the bugs into the secure SVR office, the rezidentura, inside Russia’s UN office on East 67th Street—its equivalent of what U.S. officials call a “SCIF,” or Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility, an area that’s supposed to be free of any electronic listening devices. “Nothing given to him by someone in the United States should have ever been brought inside the SCIF,” Ricci says.

Over several months, as one binder after another circulated through Sporyshev’s hands, the FBI collected hundreds of hours of recorded conversation, much of it comically mundane. Sporyshev spent hours chatting with one colleague, Victor Podobnyy, a twentysomething who was also working under diplomatic cover as an attaché to the Russian UN mission. Both belonged to the SVR’s Directorate ER, a branch dealing with economic issues, such as trade and manufacturing. Often, they complained about the lack of drama in their lives.

“The fact that I’m sitting with a cookie right now at the … chief enemy spot—f---!” Podobnyy said in April 2013. Sure, he knew he couldn’t expect action like in the “movies about James Bond,” he said. But the job was supposed to be more invigorating than pushing paper at a desk. “Of course, I wouldn’t fly helicopters,” Podobnyy said, “but pretend to be someone else, at a minimum.”

Sporyshev was sympathetic. “I also thought that at least I would go abroad with a different passport,” he said, and then he complained about the parsimony of the agency’s expense reimbursement.

Amid the hours of bellyaching, one thing stood out: an oblique reference to a NOC hidden inside Wall Street. FBI agents pieced together that Sporyshev and Podobnyy had been discussing Buryakov. The putative banking analyst had previously appeared on the FBI’s radar, but the agency hadn’t yet pinned him as a spy.

Buryakov in court.
Buryakov in court.Photographer: Elizabeth Williams/AP Photo

The son of a government construction engineer, Buryakov grew up in the remote southern Russian village of Kushchyovskaya, where he met Marina in 1994, when she was still in high school; they married in 1999. Smart and inquisitive, Buryakov was gifted at learning foreign languages. He worked in Moscow first as a tax inspector, then joined the Vnesheconombank, or VEB—the Russian government’s development bank, which backed economic projects that would boost growth and employment.

At some point, Buryakov signed on with the SVR intelligence agency. Following a five-year stint with VEB in South Africa, he arrived in the U.S. just weeks after the FBI had rolled up Operation Ghost Stories. He was the first of the next wave of Russian intelligence officers.

Buryakov, his wife, and their two children, Pavel and Polina, rented a $3,000-a-month, two-story house on Leibig Avenue in Riverdale. The Bronx neighborhood was well-known to U.S. counterintelligence. A few blocks away, clearly visible from the Buryakovs’ driveway, looms a 20-story, cream-colored high-rise built for Russia’s UN staff. The six-acre compound, known as the White House, had long made the area a favorite for other Eastern European diplomats and immigrants. Sporyshev lived right around the corner. The Buryakovs mostly kept to themselves, but the nuns next door often saw Evgeny smoking cigarettes at the end of his driveway late at night, and Marina would host other mothers from school.

By day, Buryakov lived the ordinary life of a Wall Street analyst: reading and writing reports; attending meetings, conferences, and parties; building connections on LinkedIn. His employer, VEB, occupied a useful niche in the global banking network. The public-private nature of the bank allowed Buryakov to move freely in government, corporate, and nongovernmental organization circles, without anyone suspecting they were talking to an intelligence officer. (Alexander Slepnev, the head of VEB’s New York office, didn’t respond to requests for comment.)

As one of Buryakov’s handlers, Sporyshev gave him a series of often menial side projects. In May 2013, Sporyshev asked him to outline some questions that the Russian news outlet ITAR-TASS could use when interviewing an official from the New York Stock Exchange. Buryakov did about 20 minutes of research, then recommended asking about exchange-traded funds.

Buryakov also became involved in a multibillion-dollar aerospace deal when Canada’s Bombardier attempted to team up with Rostek, Russia’s state-owned defense manufacturer. Using his bank job as cover, Buryakov traveled to Canada twice, in 2012 and 2013, to participate in meetings and conferences about the proposed agreement. Then, after researching the Canadian labor unions’ resistance to overseas production, he wrote a proposal for the SVR’s “active measures directorate” that Sporyshev described as “geared towards pressuring the unions and securing from the company a solution that is beneficial to us.” It wasn’t 007-worthy. But it helped Russian industry pursue a lucrative contract. (The arrangement was paused after Russia annexed Crimea in 2014, alarming Western governments.)

As Buryakov performed more such tasks, the FBI built a surveillance dragnet around him. Agents conducted multiple covert searches of his office at VEB. In December 2013, Gregory Monaghan—the lead agent on the case—showed up at Buryakov’s landlord’s office to ask about gaining entrance to the house. The landlord consented, and while the Buryakovs were away on a ski trip that winter, the FBI sneaked in and wired the house for audio and video. Over the next several months, the bureau surveilled more than four dozen meetings between Buryakov and his handlers.

Inside Russia’s UN mission, in New York’s Lenox Hill neighborhood, Sporyshev and Podobnyy were also recorded trying to recruit sources across Wall Street: consultants, analysts, and other financial professionals who had access to proprietary data or documents—or might win access later in their careers. Russian intelligence agencies have demonstrated extreme patience for schemes that play out over many years—time horizons far beyond those that will hold the interest of U.S. agencies, presidential administrations, and congressional leaders. The agents of Directorate ER sought to build relationships by asking for innocuous information that nobody would suspect might one day lead to the sharing of more valuable intelligence.

As the FBI’s bugs listened, Podobnyy informed Sporyshev that he’d told one woman, a recent college graduate, that he “needed answers to some questions, answers to which I could not find in open sources. Due to that, I am interested to find information from paid publications and opinions of independent people who discuss these topics amongst themselves behind closed doors.” The woman, Podobnyy said, responded favorably.

Podobnyy also approached a male financial consultant he’d met at an energy symposium. The consultant often traveled to Moscow and was keenly interested in Gazprom, Russia’s massive energy conglomerate. “It’s obvious that he wants to earn lots of money,” Podobnyy told Sporyshev. “For now, his enthusiasm works for me. I also promised him a lot: that I have connections in the trade representation, meaning that you can push contracts.” He laughed. “I will feed him empty promises.”

The FBI’s Ricci says such attempts at cultivating connected New Yorkers are far more common, and successful, than many people in the financial world think. Americans regularly become unwitting agents, passing along useful tips to Russian officers without realizing who they’re dealing with. “When the Russians come to you, they don’t say, ‘Hey, I’m an intelligence officer,’ ” Ricci says. “They say, ‘Hey, friend, it’d be useful to have this information.’ ”

Buryakov devoted his time to finding and making contacts across New York—referring potential sources and future contacts for his handlers and other intelligence officers to pursue. “This isn’t about just stealing classified information. This is about stealing you,” Ricci says. “It’s about having you in a Rolodex down the road when they need it.”

Or, as Sporyshev put it in a recorded conversation: “This is intelligence method to cheat. How else to work with foreigners? You promise a favor for a favor. You get the documents from him and tell him to go f--- himself. ‘But not to upset you, I will take you to a restaurant and give you an expensive gift. You just need to sign for it.’ This is ideal working method.”

“The original goal for a counterintelligence case isn’t an arrest—it’s to recruit or deflect them”

By the middle of 2014, FBI agents thought they had enough evidence to arrest Buryakov but decided to go for more—preparing a final dramatic episode that would document the full cycle of a foreign spy recruiting a Wall Street source, from first contact to document handoff. The bureau asked an Atlantic City businessman (his name hasn’t been disclosed) to approach Buryakov, pretending to represent a wealthy investor who wanted to open casinos in Russia. In a bugged call with Buryakov, Sporyshev was dubious, saying the encounter seemed like “some sort of setup. Some sort of trap.”

Buryakov proceeded anyway. On Aug. 8, 2014, he spent seven hours touring Atlantic City with the FBI source, visiting casinos and looking over a PowerPoint presentation about the project. The FBI source provided Buryakov with government documents, marked “Internal Treasury Use Only,” about individuals who had been sanctioned by the U.S. over the Crimean invasion. Buryakov said he’d like more documents like that, and later in the month, the source handed over another report, this one on the Russian banking sector, labeled “Unclassified/FOUO, or “For Official Use Only.” That same day, Buryakov called Sporyshev to discuss “the schoolbooks,” and that night, briefcase in hand, he went directly from his VEB office to Sporyshev’s home in the Bronx. An FBI surveillance team monitored from outside.

SVR agents work on five-year contracts, and toward the end of 2014, Sporyshev and Podobnyy returned to Russia, their tours over. Now that Buryakov’s handlers were gone, the FBI grew concerned about identifying their replacements. “They could’ve completely changed the meetups and contact procedures, so we didn’t think it was worth letting [Buryakov] continue to operate,” Ricci says. One of the oddities of counterintelligence is that countries regularly tolerate both known and suspected spies, allowing them to operate under what they hope is a watchful eye. “The original goal for a counterintelligence case isn’t an arrest—it’s to recruit or deflect them,” Ricci says. “My No. 1 priority is to make sure no one steals our secrets.” That mission appears to have succeeded. Aside from documents the FBI allowed him to see, Buryakov rarely seemed to get his hands on material more valuable than what any average Wall Streeter might possess.

The FBI scheduled his arrest for Jan. 26, 2015. As the snow fell on VEB’s headquarters and Buryakov’s Riverdale home, search teams and dozens of agents waited anxiously outside both locations. Buryakov headed out to get groceries. After he paid, he found Ricci’s agents, clad in blue FBI windbreakers, waiting in the parking lot. “Sir, you have to come with us,” they said, then hurried him into an SUV. Buryakov, the agents later reported, was calm and hardly seemed surprised. Other agents then took his purchases the two blocks back along Leibig Avenue, where they knocked on his door, delivered the groceries, and told Marina that they had a warrant to enter. As they searched the house, technicians covertly removed the FBI’s audio and video surveillance tools.

By day’s end, the U.S. Department of Justice announced the arrest and unsealed the criminal complaint against Buryakov, as well as naming Sporyshev and Podobnyy, who were both protected by diplomatic immunity. The arrest and announcement touched off a flurry of international activity. In Moscow, the Russian government summoned the U.S. ambassador to protest. In New York, Marina and the children fled into the nearby Russian mission residence, their family car abandoned on Mosholu Street outside, until they were able to leave the country. Russian colleagues hurriedly moved the family’s belongings out of the Riverdale home, tearing the house apart in the vain hope of uncovering the FBI’s recording devices.

VEB paid $45,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by Buryakov’s landlord and also paid for his legal counsel. Initially, Buryakov’s defense was that he’d done nothing more than many professionally ambitious expatriates in New York do: He’d simply agreed to help his countrymen, Sporyshev and Podobnyy, with their work and lives in America. But eventually he pleaded guilty to being an unregistered foreign agent—the technical federal charge for espionage.

The most important business stories of the day.
Get Bloomberg's daily newsletter.
Buryakov’s arrest did little to slow the flow of intelligence operatives into America. Even as his case played out in the New York courts in the summer of 2015, Border Patrol agents apprehended a man from Ukraine crossing the Texas border, according to previously unreported internal U.S. Customs and Border Protection documents. “It is my opinion that this subject is a Russian asset and was sent by the Russians to infiltrate the U.S.,” the agent wrote. “[The individual] is a perfect asset since he already knows some English, is militarily trained, and is fluent in Russian and his native tongue of Arabic.” Following standard procedure, though, the man was released into the U.S. with a notice to appear at a deportation hearing. The FBI refuses to confirm if it’s aware of the incident or if it’s monitoring the man.

On May 24, 2016, Buryakov was sentenced to 30 months in prison, and he now resides in the federal low-security prison in rural Lisbon, Ohio. He’s still listed on VEB’s website as its deputy representative in New York.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-linkedin

well read this

New York banker who admitted to being a Russian spy will be released early from federal prison and deported to Moscow
Evgeny Buryakov pleaded guilty to conspiring with others to act as an agent of a foreign government without registering with the U.S. government
In May 2016, he was sentenced to 30 months in prison and was fined $10,000
Buryakov was initially supposed to be released on July 27 from the Federal Correctional Institution in Elkton, Ohio
ICE spokesman has said that Buryakov would be released early on Saturday before being deported
By Agencies and Dailymail.com Reporter
PUBLISHED: 00:16 EDT, 3 April 2017 | UPDATED: 05:55 EDT, 3 April 2017

A Russian banker accused of participating in a Cold War-style spy ring was to be released early from federal prison this weekend, it was reported.

Evgeny Buryakov pleaded guilty in March 2016 to conspiring with others to act as an agent of a foreign government without registering with the U.S. government.

In May 2016, he was sentenced to 30 months in prison and was fined $10,000.

Buryakov was initially supposed to be released on July 27 from the Federal Correctional Institution in Elkton, Ohio, CBS News reported Friday.

Evgeny Buryakov, a Russian banker accused of participating in a Cold War-style spy ring was to be released early from federal prison this weekend, it was reported
+5
Evgeny Buryakov, a Russian banker accused of participating in a Cold War-style spy ring was to be released early from federal prison this weekend, it was reported

A U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) spokesman told CBS that Buryakov would be released early on Saturday before being deported.

ICE spokesman Khaalid Walls told the outlet: 'He will be transferred to ICE custody upon release from Elkton.

'Travel arrangements will be finalized in the very near term... but for operational security reasons, we do not confirm removal dates prior to a person's departure.'

Walls did not immediately return a late Sunday evening email message from DailyMail.com seeking comment.

Federal Bureau of Prisons documents cite good behavior in the early release decision, according to the CBS report.

Buryakov has been behind bars for 26 months - and that amount includes time served prior to his sentencing, the report also said.

Buryakov had agreed to be deported when he completed his sentence.

Russian outpost: Buryakov, a married father-of-two, worked at Russian state-owned Vnesheconombank in Manhattan
+5
Russian outpost: Buryakov, a married father-of-two, worked at Russian state-owned Vnesheconombank in Manhattan

The twists in the Buryakov case are reminiscent of plotlines from the popular FX show The Americans about a married couple who are Soviet spies operating in the US in the 1980s
+5
The twists in the Buryakov case are reminiscent of plotlines from the popular FX show The Americans about a married couple who are Soviet spies operating in the US in the 1980s

When Buryakov was arrested in 2015, prosecutors said he had teamed up with diplomats from 2012 through January 2015 to gather sensitive economic intelligence on potential U.S. sanctions against Russian banks and on U.S. efforts to develop alternative energy resources.

They also said he purposely failed to register as a foreign agent to conceal his true role as a covert operative embedded at a Manhattan branch of Vnesheconombank, or VEB.

In papers filed in Manhattan federal court in March 2016, it emerged that the FBI eavesdropped on meetings between Buryakov and his alleged co-conspirators, Igor Sporyshev and Victor Podobnyy.

The FBI's snooping enabled the agency to penetrate the workplaces of the SVR and hear about Buryakov's work for it, prosecutors said.

Buryakov told a judge in March 2016 that he had agreed to let an official with Russia's Trade Mission in New York to direct him to take certain actions without having registered with the US attorney general's office as a Russian agent.

He said he spoke on the telephone in May 2013 with the official about information the official had requested.

The defense had argued that laws exempted Buryakov from registering because he already was a visa-carrying official with a financial institution that is an arm of the Russian government.

The government said Buryakov had obtained a work visa by lying on paperwork and saying he wouldn't commit espionage.

Eavesdropping: An FBI agent posing as an analyst at an energy firm would slip rigged binders containing purported industry analysis he wrote to a suspect Russian agent, who was required to return the binders so as not to get his source in trouble with his employer
+5
Eavesdropping: An FBI agent posing as an analyst at an energy firm would slip rigged binders containing purported industry analysis he wrote to a suspect Russian agent, who was required to return the binders so as not to get his source in trouble with his employer

The FBI began investigating Buryakov, Sporyshev and Podobnyy in 2010 after ten Russian spies living in the US, all members of a sleeper cell referred to as 'The Illegals' by the SVR, were arrested, including red-haired femme fatale Anna Chapman.

Neither Sporyshev and Podobnyy were not arrested, as they enjoyed diplomatic immunity in their respective roles as a Russian trade representative and an attache to the country's mission to the United Nations.

According to prosecutors, in April 2012, Sporyshev met an undercover FBI employee posing as an analyst at a New York energy firm at an oil and gas industry conference.

Over the next two years, they met to discuss the industry and other economic and political issues, prosecutors said, with Sporyshev providing gifts and cash for information.

In 2013, the FBI employee began providing Sporyshev with the binders containing purported industry analysis he wrote, supporting documents, and 'covertly placed recording devices,' prosecutors wrote.

In 2010, the feds arrested ten Russian spies living in the US, including red-haired femme fatale Anna Chapman (pictured at the Cannes Film Festival in 2013)
+5
In 2010, the feds arrested ten Russian spies living in the US, including red-haired femme fatale Anna Chapman (pictured at the Cannes Film Festival in 2013)

As the undercover employee said his company would fire him if it learned he disclosed confidential information, Sporyshev would promptly return the binders after reviewing them, prosecutors said.

The recordings that resulted captured statements of Sporyshev, Podobnyy, and other Russian intelligence personnel from January to May 2013, prosecutors said.

In one secretly recorded conversation, Podobnyy complained to Sporyshev that their work was nothing like 'movies about James Bond,' according to the papers.

'Of course, I wouldn't fly helicopters, but pretend to be someone else at a minimum,' he said.

Sporyshev griped that he too thought he 'at least would go abroad with a different passport'.

According to a criminal complaint, the three accused spies spoke to each other in code over the phone to set up their meetings and claimed they had an umbrella or a ticket for the others.

In person Buryakov would pass Sporyshev a bag, a magazine or a piece of paper with information hidden inside it.

Before his arrest, Buryakov lived in the Bronx with his Russian wife and two children.

VEB was in the news last week when it said on March 27 that executives held talks with Jared Kushner, the son-in-law of U.S. President Donald Trump, during a bank roadshow in 2016 when it was preparing a new strategy.

The news came as the White House announced that Kushner, a top adviser in the Trump administration, had volunteered to testify to a Senate committee probing whether Russia tried to interfere in last year's presidential election.

Russian Spy Anna Chapman walks out of Today Show interview

'As part of the preparation of the new strategy, executives of Vnesheconombank met with representatives of leading financial institutes in Europe, Asia and America multiple times during 2016,' VEB said in an emailed statement.

'During the talks, the existing practices of foreign development banks and promising trends were discussed,' the bank said.

It said roadshow meetings took place 'with a number of representatives of the largest banks and business establishments of the United States, including Jared Kushner, the head of Kushner Companies'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4dEslA8dl

Carter Page MALE-1

‘You get the documents’ and ‘tell him to go f*ck himself’: Russian spy claims Carter Page met with him to pass intel

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40369&start=15

and if that weren't enough

Video Shows Trump Advisor Seb Gorka Backed Racist Militia in Hungary
by Jim Lobe

In the latest and most damning chapter in the saga of Sebastian Gorka, the Forward newspaper has discovered a 2007 video recording in which the Trump national-security aide and foreign-policy spokesman voices support for a violent racist and anti-Semitic militia, the Hungarian Guard (Magyar Garda).

The group was subsequently banned by Hungary’s courts for the threat it posed to minority groups in Hungary; it was also condemned by the European Court of Human Rights for attempting to promote an “essentially racist” legal order.

According to the Forward, the recording was taken from a television interview of Gorka who had just co-founded a new political party, the New Democratic Coalition (UDK), with two former leaders of the far-right Jobbik party.

Asked directly on the TV interview program if he supports the move by Jobbik, a far-right anti-Semitic party, to establish the militia, Gorka, appearing as a leader of his own newly formed party, replies immediately, “That is so.” The Guard, Gorka explains is a response to a “a big societal need.”
Watch it:

The Guard’s creation, according to the article, created considerable anxiety in the Jewish community in Hungary, as well as the Roma people, who proved to be the Guard’s main target during its existence. According to the Forward’s account:

During the 11-minute interview, which aired on Hungary’s Echo TV, Gorka dismissed concerns expressed by the Jewish community, and in particular fears that the Guard provoked among Hungarian Holocaust survivors. As is often the case in Hungary, the interviewer refers to Holocaust survivors obliquely, as “people who experienced 1944” — when hundreds of thousands of Hungarian Jews were deported to Nazi concentration camps — or as those who experienced “the Arrow Cross regime.”
Many such people, the interviewer noted, “are saying now is the time to leave Hungary. So in effect [the establishment of the Hungarian Guard] is facilitating the flaring-up of anti-Semitism?”
“This is a tool,” Gorka replied. “This type of accusation is the very useful tool of a certain political class.”
The Guard was well known for its members’ anti-Semitism. Members often attend memorial ceremonies for World War II-era Hungarian fascists. In a 2008 speech, Istvan Dosa, who served within the Guard as a high-ranking captain, referred to Jews as “Zionist rats” and as “locsusts” while also discussing “Zionist-Bolshevik genocide” and calling Hungarian Jews “nation-destroyers.”
The Forward article, by the intrepid Budapest-based Lili Bayer, noted that Gorka’s support for the militia appeared consistent with various subsequent statements by his UDK party which Gorka created in part as a result of disappointment with the Fidesz party of Viktor Orban, currently Hungary’s proudly “illiberal” prime minister, over its failure to confront in a more militant way the then-ruling socialist-liberal government.

LobeLog first disclosed that Gorka had on various occasions, including at an inaugural ball, sported the medal issued by Vitezi Rend, a “knighthood” created in 1920 by the ultra-nationalist and openly anti-Semitic Hungarian leader Miklos Horthy. Since then speculation over the British-born self-described counter-terrorism expert’s political affiliations, particularly during the time he spent in his parents’ native Hungary from 1992 to 2008, has grown. While he clearly allied himself with right-wing parties during that period, he has vehemently denied that he supported anti-Semitic individuals or groups or personally held anti-Semitic beliefs. He has also denied that he swore an oath of lifelong loyalty to Vitezi Rend despite the declarations of three of the order’s senior officials that he had.

Gorka has enjoyed the support of a number of defenders, notably from Breitbart.com, where he served under then-CEO Stephen Bannon as national-security editor, as well as other right-wing media or neo-conservative organizations and individuals, including the long-time head of the Zionist Organization of America, Morton Klein; PJ Media; Forbes;Tablet magazine; Newsmax, and Mark Dubowitz and Jonathan Schanzer (who tweeted their backing for Gorka early in the controversy) of the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies. Some of these backers stressed that his long-standing support for Israel disproved the notion that he harbored anti-Semitic views. (Gorka is currently scheduled to be the top White House official to address the annual conference of Christians United for Israel in July.)

At the same time, several Jewish, human and civil rights groups called for Gorka to be suspended or dismissed from his White House posts. Whether he can survive these latest revelations remains to be seen.
http://lobelog.com/video-shows-trump-ad ... n-hungary/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:09 pm

REP: Trumpers Will End Up In Jail

ByJOSH MARSHALL
PublishedAPRIL 4, 2017, 5:32 PM EDT
9948Views
Interesting exchange a few minutes ago with Intelligence Committee member, Rep. Joaquin Castro, talking about eventual results of the Trump/Russia probe ...

REP JOAQUIN CASTRO (D-TX): I guess I would say this, that my impression is after all of this is said and done that some people end up in jail.
WOLF BLITZER: Really? And how high does that go and in your suspicion? That's all we can call it right now.

CASTRO: Well, that's yet to be determined.

BLITZER: But you think some people are going to wind up in jail, not just one individual, but people plural.
CASTRO: That's my impression.

BLITZER: You want to elaborate on that give us more? Because that is obviously a very intriguing statement.

CASTRO: I wish I could, but I can't at this time.

BLITZER: You're confident that some Trump associates will end up in jail.

CASTRO: If I were betting, yes.

BLITZER: Including some working in the new administration or people who worked or advised the president during the campaign or maybe during the transition?

CASTRO: As you can imagine, Wolf, I will have to comment on that later. But my impression is that people will probably be charged and probably go to jail.

BLITZER: Without sharing the evidence because I know it's classified but do you believe there is enough evidence already, evidence that you've seen that would justify someone going to jail or some people going to jail?

CASTRO: If the claims hold up, most likely.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/rep ... up-in-jail

FBI Turns Up the Heat on Russian Election Hacking Investigation

The Fiscal Times
Rob Garver
The Fiscal TimesApril 3, 2017

President Donald Trump has been trying very hard to convince his supporters that the ongoing FBI investigation into Russian interference in the US election and possible connections between members of his campaign and the Russian government are some sort of plot against him. Over the past several days, Trump has labeled the stories about the investigation “fake” and “a scam” on Twitter.

However, the Federal Bureau of Investigation appears to disagree. Over the weekend, The Financial Times revealed that the agency charged with counter-espionage investigations is ramping up its inquiry into Russian election-meddling by bringing a veteran agent back to Washington to head up a new 20-person unit dedicated to the direction of the sprawling effort.

One of the sources the FT relied on said that the change reflected a “surge” of new resources into the investigation, and was seen as confirmation that the agency is taking the case extremely seriously. At the same time, Trump has been using his social media accounts to point fingers everywhere but toward himself and his associates.

“When will Sleepy Eyes Chuck Todd and @NBCNews start talking about the Obama SURVEILLANCE SCANDAL and stop with the Fake Trump/Russia story?” he tweeted Saturday, referring to Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer. “It is the same Fake News Media that said there is "no path to victory for Trump" that is now pushing the phony Russia story. A total scam!”

By Sunday, he was touting a Fox News story from the previous day that he claimed proved that he and his associates had been “spied on” by the Obama administration. In fact, the story indicates, as was already known, that conversations involving people affiliated with Trump’s campaign were picked up as part of routine monitoring of foreign diplomats and other non-US persons.

Related: Flynn’s Immunity Request May Not Be the Bombshell Everyone Thinks It Is

After Trump's claim last month that then-president Barack Obama had him wiretapped was debunked by intelligence officials, the argument turned to the question of whether the identity of Trump-related individuals was “unmasked” in reports disseminated within the intelligence community.

The Fox report on Saturday said that the “unmasking” was done at the request of a senior figure in the Intelligence Community. That, too sent trump to Twitter, to claim he had been “spied on” by the Obama administration. “If this is true, does not get much bigger. Would be sad for U.S.,” he wrote.

On Monday morning, Bloomberg’s Eli Lake wrote a story suggesting the unmasking of Trump associates in dozens of reports containing accounts of conversations between Trump associates and foreign actors came at the request of then-National Security Adviser Susan Rice.

According to Lake, “One U.S. official familiar with the reports said they contained valuable political information on the Trump transition such as whom the Trump team was meeting, the views of Trump associates on foreign policy matters and plans for the incoming administration.”

Related: Is Nunes Toast? White House Struggles to Explain Who Leaked Intelligence

This would dovetail with Trump’s repeated claim that he was placed under surveillance for political reasons. However, it also raises a fairly obvious question: If this information was gathered for a political hit on Trump during the election year -- something that would be a stunning abuse of power -- why did nothing emerge given that it’s now clear that there were multiple contacts between the Trump team and Russian officials during the campaign?

An alternative explanation is that Rice, as President Obama’s National Security Adviser, had been informed that there was an active FBI investigation into the Russian meddling and the potential connection between the Kremlin and the Trump team and that she wanted to stay abreast of what intelligence agencies were finding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jlBeRTg6Iw
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion