[POLL] Abolish the "ignore" function.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Should the ignore function be abolished?

Yes.
41%
No. (State reasons.)
59%

Total votes : 27

Re: [POLL] Abolish the "ignore" function.

Postby peartreed » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Conscience. Its presence, absence or impairment will trigger rationalization. For a cohesive comprehension of the consequences of conscience, some self-conscious contrarians will take at least a day to compose an argument about it. I’m waiting. Comedically.
peartreed

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:40 pm

^^^ Here's betting irony prevails and they'll choose to ignore you, Mr. Peartreed.
Iamwhomiam

Postby kool maudit » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:16 am

This is a very ideologically pitched time. We see it on the forums and in the streets. It is a sort of petit-Weimar era, an era that now appears to be before rather than after (as per Fukuyama) something.

This board has always had a left-activist element, and as the rules imply, this is part of its founding motive. Like the OP, I find activism-strategies to be at odds with discourse-strategies a lot of the time, and have expressed this at points and taken my lumps, which is fine.

In the end, though, RI remains aligned enough with its original self-conception that I take it for what it is, and come to it for the views and perspectives that this alignment provides.

I do use the ignore function, but this board's ignore function allows you to click and view ignored posts, which I often find myself doing.
kool maudit

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:19 pm

I believe I mostly agree with you, kool maudit, although I've never utilized the 'Ignore' function.
But for me to better understand what you mean by "discourse strategy" I need you to explain what such a 'discourse strategy' is and why it would conflict with "activism strategies," in this sentence, "Like the OP, I find activism-strategies to be at odds with discourse-strategies a lot of the time, and have expressed this at points and taken my lumps, which is fine."

My impression is that both are necessary to engage in an activism strategy, if I'm at all understanding "discourse strategy correctly."

What is worthy of discussion imo would be the developing world wide chasm you've described as a "very ideologically pitched" time, and is Niburu's close approach to the Earth responsible for the mind numbing undermining.
Iamwhomiam

Postby peartreed » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Here's my ideological pitch to prompt a discourse strategy that might inspire others to vote for the ignore function or, maybe, discuss:

Let your conscience be your guide.

For some people a malleable morality is like having a broken moral compass. They get lost in taking the more challenging turns on the social map. Instead, they put their own spin on navigating ethical decisions in the field of attractions pulling on them.

Thus, they often miss the point of life’s journey – or the clear directional points – of society’s common orientation on accepted standards of civil conduct. They choose an opposite pole, an independent position, a crooked path or a stationary stance, often simply to defy convention.

I prefer to rely on my own magnetic personality’s instincts to guide and influence my path in life, around or through such stubborn obstacles, base temptations or selfish disregard and stagnation, all while keeping my eyes on the prize of rewarding, compassionate care for my fellow travelers, and my own soul, en route to bliss.
peartreed

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:40 pm

A wonderful ethos to follow, Mr. Peartreed. Progressive, if you will.
Iamwhomiam

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:05 pm wrote:
km artlu » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:12 pm wrote:WR ~ you responded above to selected quotes from Mac. I believe much of the tension here would be relieved if you forthrightly responded to this:

From the memory hole: Wombaticus Rex to American Dream, in October 2014, calling AD a troll...

So I want to know why we have been subjected to AD`S trolling for so long. I want to know why honest posters have had to tolerate being trolled by AD, or else waste their time complaining about it, or leave the board in disgust.

Will you please respond to that?

Sure.

I don't like American Dream, as a person or a personal brand, but his behavior isn't breaking rules here. In fact -- and I've been saying this for years too, which people could conceivably look up -- AD's behavior appears to be carefully calculated to be within the rules.

I also think, and this is something I've said perhaps less often, that AD doesn't actually owe anyone explanations. I don't think any of you do. Sure, this is General Discussion but it's not some kind of contractual obligation to dialog. Being able to ignore certain questions and people is kind of your right, as an adult human being in general. This isn't Starbucks. You're not baristas. You're not paying customers, either. Feel me?

I feel a lot more personal uncertainty about letting Nordic and Jack run their mouths for so long. I feel like to a very real extent, RI has grown out of personal relationships between people much older than me that I don't know personally at all, so I've been hesitant to come down on longtime members like I would on someone new. That's absolutely true.

However, AD isn't one of those people. When he's taken inappropriate shots at people, he's been suspended. I haven't seen any ban-worthy transgressions. That's why AD isn't banned.

That didn't answer the question - not just my question but km artlu's. It carefully evaded km artlu's question, and mine. No one has asked for AD to be banned, certainly not in this thread.

The question was - and it was very clear indeed - why do you, as now-sole Moderator, continue to allow American Dream to do something you yourself suspended him for 31 months ago?

Here's the proof that you found AD's "entire online MO" suspension-worthy in 2014:

MacCruiskeen » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:54 pm wrote:From the memory hole: Wombaticus Rex to American Dream, in October 2014, calling AD a troll and explaining to him why he had been suspended. Emphasis added.

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:07 pm wrote:
That's a very funny question! You got suspended because of your entire online MO -- the passive aggressive snipes at people, stirring shit up and then acting like you don't see people responding, and overall, maintaining your stellar track record of being the most intelligent and subtle troll we've ever had here at Rigorous Intuition to date (with the possible exception of Jeff Wells, of course -- jury is still out on that one).

A great way to reverse that trend would be to treat the people in this thread who are asking you questions like normal human beings, who are just as smart as you, don't have "problematic" or "questionable" motivations, and would earnestly like answers from you! Give it a shot! Could be exciting.

That was 31 months ago.

Note too the response from stillrobertpaulsen, one of the politest, friendliest and most reasonable posters on this board:

[...] Too bad the intended recipient refused to [take] the advice of our esteemed mod and continues stirring shit up even after proclaiming he is "ready now to move on to more compelling things in my own life." So move the fuck on already!

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/view ... &start=210

Emphases added.

It gets tiring having to repeat all this, WR. It is not only my problem. It is the entire board's problem. Everyone is sick of it. The impeccably calm and reasonable Robert Paulsen was infuriated by it nearly three years ago. And your own words are perfectly unambiguous. True then, even truer now.

And it wasn't just you and Robert who had had enough of it. Your (then) co-Moderator Project Willow again lost patience with it four months later, in Jan. 2015:

Postby Project Willow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:09 pm

[...]

AD, this is indeed a discussion board. Endeavor to find a way to repair relationships and respectfully participate in this community or restrict your postings to the data dump or your own personal blog.

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/view ... &start=120

^^That also couldn't be clearer.

You called AD a troll and suspended him for it. So why your evident change in policy now? Especially since you "don't like American Dream, as a person or a personal brand"?
Last edited by MacCruiskeen on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby norton ash » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm not sick of it. I simply don't give a damn if people paste what they paste.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:03 pm

^^ We could do a poll, norton, and see if you are in the minority. Someone else should start it, though.
Last edited by MacCruiskeen on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby norton ash » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:06 pm

You said 'everyone's sick of it.' So claim your majority without me.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:17 pm

All right, norton, be that pedantic. Nearly everyone is sick of it - as sick of it as Robert Paulsen, Project Willow and Wombaticus Rex were three years ago. But most of those sickest of it have long since given up and left, admittedly.

Btw, I would object to it even if I agreed with every word AD wrote, copied and pasted here. I object to it all the more because it is what it is: warmongering propaganda.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

you can overdo anything.

Postby IanEye » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:29 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:16 pm wrote:

I am a relentlessly psychotic power-mad force of destruction and all my acts are arbitrary; capricious. I have a huge list of secret crimes that I will never show any of you.

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:32 pm wrote:
Also, I'm not a good person, objectively speaking. We should all be on the same page about that.

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks, Ian. Damn, that thread is seriously instructive. How many people tried so hard for so long to engage with AD rationally and in good faith? Robert Paulsen was tireless:

stillrobertpaulsen » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm wrote:
American Dream » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:27 pm wrote:I'm being very direct here- but not at all trying to be a dick about it- just trying to act in the interest of having the best board possible.

Of all the bullshit statements you've made on this thread, that is by far the bullshittiest.

It is quite clear by your steadfast refusal to address the elephant in the room that you created that you've got nothing on Robert Parry besides your own warped opinion. Barring a link in your next reply, let the record reflect:

You have no fucking evidence that Robert Parry defended Putin whatsoever.

Your move.

AD just ignored Robert's rebuttal - and insinuated that he was in fact Robert Parry himself.

American Dream » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:00 pm wrote:Thinking about Robert Parry posting a defense of Putin- and this is not the first time- raises the possibility of his being co-opted by the pro-Russian conspiracy/propaganda network described in this thread.
[...]

I'm not sure what's up with the stillrobertpaulson username at all, but as I said previously anyone who cares to check it out can go to Robert Parry's site, Consortium News, and check things out for themselves. I went there and used the handy on-site search function to search the term "Putin" and below is posted a link to the results. That's it- done with such posters who don't inspire much hope of a positive engagement.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0179303742 ... sc.q=putin

Observe AD's last-line edict. Poor Robert was put in detention in his place "on ignore", for perhaps being Robert Parry in disguise. :lol: Three years ago.

"American Dream" is a one-man propaganda factory and timesink. I'm not sure what's up with the "American Dream "username at all...

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Yeah, IanEye's response is actually far better than anything I'm gonna type this evening.

While I find the distinction between "Banning AD" vs. "Suspending AD every time he starts posting here again" to be of perhaps limited value, I've been rude enough to you that it's only cricket to say: you're right that I'm not directly addressing your question.

Your persistence has paid off, page ago. I pray to King Christ I never accidentally wind up with you as either a client or a customer, in the near or distant future. However. This thread is proof that you're far from the only person who feels AD has been given too much latitude, and that is of course my responsibility. Thank you for being insufferable, in a non-sarcastic, actually-serious sense.

I will be keeping a closer eye and maintaining a more active draw in the future. Hopefully we'll be better for it.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Yay! Mission Accomplished! The war's over! We're allies again for at least five minutes!

WR, I'm insufferable and you're a relentlessly psychotic power-mad force of destruction! Together we can change RULE the world!

My nipples are exploding with delight.

[retires behind front line drunk on jim beam to sleep for first time in five days]

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion