Idiocracy. A "crappy film?" Really?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Hit the Source

Postby norton ash » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:23 pm

Jack Riddler:
No, better yet, I suggest the 50% of males who score highest on scales for "aggressive" times "stupid" are sent to terraform Mars

You're echoing Idiocracy's source short story The Marching Morons
by C. M. Kornbluth, Galaxy magazine 1951.

Read it here!

http://www.wattpad.com/111513-The-March ... -Kornbluth

Kornbluth knew where we were headed. Died of a heart attack at 34. (?!?)
Zen horse
norton ash

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:09 pm

slomo wrote:
JackRiddler wrote:I suggest "IQ" (let's pretend that's a measure of intelligence for a moment) times number of languages you speak fluently (an important measure of being able to get into others' mentalities), divided by income (let's say zero income is set at a value of 10,000 so no one gets to divide by zero).

Who gets to administer the tests?

No one. Of course. Read the fine print!
JackRiddler

Postby justdrew » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:22 pm

well it's all no wonder Earth was colonized (and it's computations ruined) by Golgafrincham cast-offs after all.
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby agitprop » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:28 pm

JackRiddler wrote:Also, being lesbian is elevated to a high religious virtue (though not required), with the goal of keeping the population down and the women satisfied. With a 2-1 F/M ratio, women are finally in charge of everything, and the remaining men are content and more productive because they finally get to be the center of attention, which is all boys really want.

See, I can make up NWOs too!

The planet would be less warlike, but far bitchier! You sure you want that? Turn the planet into a highschool cafeteria with mean girls potentially in charge? :D You want WW3 to involve international teasing, putdowns and criticism of what "the other side" is wearing? :D :D
agitprop

Re: Hit the Source

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:47 pm

norton ash wrote:Jack Riddler:
No, better yet, I suggest the 50% of males who score highest on scales for "aggressive" times "stupid" are sent to terraform Mars

You're echoing Idiocracy's source short story The Marching Morons
by C. M. Kornbluth, Galaxy magazine 1951.

Of course I am. Read it decades ago, back when it was still part of the Science Fiction Canon. And it's awfully memorable. Also really fucked up, since as I remember he saw it as a necessary thing.
JackRiddler

Re: Idiocracy. A "crappy film?" Really?

Postby divideandconquer » Wed May 10, 2017 8:31 am

So, according to this movie, in order to prevent an idiocracy from occurring--as if it isn't already here --the only solution is eugenics, because, of course, the only reason for idiocracy is that the infinitesimally small elite population is infinitesimally small and growing smaller everyday because they can't/won't breed. Not because this infinitesimally small group is doing their very best to dumb down the prolific unwashed masses through environmental toxins, all-consuming media, geo/genetic engineering, Big Pharma, electromagnetic fields, forced implementation of disastrous, insidious, and indoctrinating common curriculum, etc .

Yeah, I watched the first 15 minutes and turned it off...very disappointed.
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby 82_28 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:18 am

Definitely had nothing to do with eugenics in my opinion. It was about education (lack there of), corporatism, junk food etc. Those two hoity toity people at the beginning merely set the stage for what happens to society with little to no education and how they had no kids. It's been awhile since I have seen it.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby elfismiles » Wed May 10, 2017 10:28 am

Over Population and Under Education ... "winning" combination! :eeyaa

Meanwhile...

Former Area-51 "Desert Rat" Glenn Campbell's series on THE BABY BOMB!

The Baby Bomb: How Demographics are Destroying the World (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9iMkx7RhcQ

Baby Bomb Part 2: World Tour of Demographic Disasters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFUBm2mX6t4

Baby Bomb Part 3: Dilution - Who is having the babies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t5sh_7YFxY

... and more ...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9o0ba ... QNg/videos

http://glenn-campbell.com/past/
http://www.ufomind.com/area51/desertrat/
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby SonicG » Wed May 10, 2017 10:34 am

Not sure if I am ready for the Desert Rat take, but, of course there are some serious unstoppable demographic waves that will rock the planet...I mean, that is my basic simple issue with all stripes of the "alt-right"...White people (and the Japanese) are not reproducing sufficiently. It won't be reversed no matter how much you MAGA your ass off...Oh, and China needs women...a lot of women...
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby divideandconquer » Wed May 10, 2017 12:36 pm

82_28 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:18 am wrote:Definitely had nothing to do with eugenics in my opinion. It was about education (lack there of), corporatism, junk food etc. Those two hoity toity people at the beginning merely set the stage for what happens to society with little to no education and how they had no kids. It's been awhile since I have seen it.

Well, watch the beginning again. They clearly state the reason for the future idiocracy. They even go as far as to explain why natural selection is not working as far as humanity goes. A very refined high-IQ childless couple--representing most reluctant-to-breed couples of this elite class--state the reasons why they don't have children, meanwhile they pan out to the continuously breeding idiotic unwashed masses. The movie warns that if this breeding trend continues, an idiocracy will be the result. As if the idiocracy isn't/wasn't intentionally created by the power elite.
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby norton ash » Wed May 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Of course the idiocracy is created by the power elite. The "IQ" opening sequence is a dark, nasty joke... and the punchline lies in its oversimplification of how dystopia happened. The rest of the film is about dumb, greedy, lazy slobs who look more like the conclusion of the consumer and capitalist experiment. Gonna go watch "Ow, my Balls!" now while I shop online for Chinese OBEY t-shirts, bath salts, and penis-extension pills.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby liminalOyster » Wed May 10, 2017 8:52 pm

"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby divideandconquer » Sun May 14, 2017 11:33 am

I think this quote sums it up quite nicely

“Gradually, by selective breeding, the congenital differences between rulers and ruled will increase until they become almost a different species. A revolt of the plebs will be would become as unthinkable as an organized insurrection of sheep against the practice of eating mutton.” Bertrand Russell

Through all the methods I mentioned above, this is what is happening, right now, before our very eyes; however, they certainly do not rely on selective breeding alone.

If half the population is autistic and the other half suffers from a dumbed down education, environmental toxins, genetically engineered foods, environment, DNA, etc, Big Pharma, and god knows what else, it won't take long.
divideandconquer

Postby JackRiddler » Sun May 14, 2017 7:37 pm

I really wouldn't mind the movie if it didn't have that stupid beginning, which isn't necessary to the rest of the film. The idiocracy as presented otherwise appears to be the product of corporate capitalism continuing to develop as it has been. But the beginning gives it a eugenicist basis.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Previous

Return to General Discussion