Pizzagate: Anatomy of a Fake News Scandal

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Pizzagate: Anatomy of a Fake News Scandal

Postby Jerky » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:55 pm

You'd actually have to be "ludicrously obtuse" to believe that I have here, or anywhere else, ever "exalted" fucking Epstein.

Also, hate to break it to you Rory, but there has been precious little "research" EVER conducted here, by ANYONE, much less a mountain of it, much less relating to any crime whatsoever. Stop kidding yourself. You're as trapped by your access to MSM and various supplemental commentaries thereon as the rest of us.

J.

Rory » 15 Mar 2018 01:38 wrote:My guess (as I opined before with the fishermen) that our old pal is yanking chains in this instance. You'd have to be ludicrously obtuse to exalt Epstein in this venue, given the mountain of research here pointing towards his less than reputable past (assuming it's not also his present, which given the scale of his apparent appetites, I'm not so sure)
Jerky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 pm

An unwinnable argument, one of defending a lesser evil, though it's not a competition, Jerky. Epstein is not one to defend, imo, even if incomparable in grotesqueness to Sevile. He's despicable, regardless, for his known inappropriate behavior with underage teens.

The captain wrote "...- my intention was simply to point out that we are talking about a billionaire that lives in a world of controlled access uncontrolled excess."

There. fify.
Iamwhomiam

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Conspiratard. Good Lord.

Alright, since this has been brought to my attention, here is my take on this: as the relative of someone who, because of his lack of neuro-typical behavior, has been on the receiving end of some variation of the 'tard' insult by numerous bullies, I really don't want to see this word become a regular sight here, even in jest. Since my judgement is colored by personal experience, I will confer with 82_28 as to whether there will be any official ruling on whether this word can be used on RI or not. Right now, I'm just asking that good taste prevail.

Jerky, I realize you weren't using this word toward any RI member, but I would appreciate it if you could scrub the word from your post. Not because Alex Jones deserves better, but because we do. You know, go high when they go low. I'd like to see you try that more.

Rory, since you directed that word at an RI member, I insist that you scrub that word from your post too. Let's try to keep the arguments issue-based, or there will be consequences.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby American Dream » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:57 pm

I had a relative (now dead) who lived with intellectual "disability" and though I sometimes think of that word when I see incredibly stupid conspiracy claims, I try not to give in to my ableist training. So yes, Ableism is a thing, and an important one at that.
American Dream

Postby elfismiles » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Ugh ... I get so tired of all the ever-changing politically-correct lingo.

My least favorite: "handicapable"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/handicapable

On the other hand ... I've always liked "differability"

American Dream » 15 Mar 2018 17:57 wrote:I had a relative (now dead) who lived with intellectual "disability" and though I sometimes think of that word when I see incredibly stupid conspiracy claims, I try not to give in to my ableist training. So yes, Ableism is a thing, and an important one at that.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby elfismiles » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Per my previous comment - "Ugh ... I get so tired of all the ever-changing politically-correct lingo" - the word in question reminds me of the controversy surrounding the Austin 90s funk band "Retarted Elf".

Retarted Elf on CapZeyeZ January 29, 1994

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icijNdLa1A8

stillrobertpaulsen » 15 Mar 2018 17:38 wrote:Conspiratard. Good Lord.

Alright, since this has been brought to my attention, here is my take on this: as the relative of someone who, because of his lack of neuro-typical behavior, has been on the receiving end of some variation of the 'tard' insult by numerous bullies, I really don't want to see this word become a regular sight here, even in jest. Since my judgement is colored by personal experience, I will confer with 82_28 as to whether there will be any official ruling on whether this word can be used on RI or not. Right now, I'm just asking that good taste prevail.

Jerky, I realize you weren't using this word toward any RI member, but I would appreciate it if you could scrub the word from your post. Not because Alex Jones deserves better, but because we do. You know, go high when they go low. I'd like to see you try that more.

Rory, since you directed that word at an RI member, I insist that you scrub that word from your post too. Let's try to keep the arguments issue-based, or there will be consequences.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby American Dream » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:42 pm

elfismiles » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:33 pm wrote:Ugh ... I get so tired of all the ever-changing politically-correct lingo.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Privilege Politics generally. I don't think that the struggle to change language is the be all and end all of social change. Not by a long shot. That said, I'm all for cutting back on the usage of insults based on the word "retarded" generally. They're just so freakin' mean... and most of us do not even have to think about how it has been used to hurt others at all.
American Dream

Postby norton ash » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:33 pm

So we can't call a dog a Labrador Retarded anymore? Always loved that one, 'cause a lot of Labs seem 'special.'
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:41 pm

I think you'll be alright norton ash as long as you hyphenate it Labrador-Retarded
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:50 pm

I'm cool with conspiraturd. As a term of denigration, you can't go lower than shit. :wink:

Jerky, if you come back to this thread and are wondering about a suitable replacement word ... :clown
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Jerky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:01 pm

I put in "conspiracy LARPer" before seeing your last post, SRP. Yours would have been better, I have to admit. But I like the fact that mine captures the nuance that said cohort, more often than not, only PRETENDS to believe the bullshit they spew. It's like weaponized kayfabe (which is a pretty good metaphor for conservative movement politics of the last few decades, come to think of it).

I removed "tard" because I was asked sincerely by someone who seemed genuinely hurt by it, but... I gotta say, my use of it certainly didn't mean to convey denigration of people who suffer from genuine developmental delays. It's sad to me that, even in the hurly burly of an online flame-war, we keep losing all the best insults. Because, come on... you gotta admit, "tard" is one funny sounding word!

Anyway, it's gone now.

Jerky
Jerky

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:01 pm

Understood, Jerky. Actually, I think Jones has been LARPing his way to riches for his entire career!

:backtotopic:
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Cordelia » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:30 pm

stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 pm wrote:I'm cool with conspiraturd. As a term of denigration, you can't go lower than shit. :wink:

Jerky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:01 pm wrote: It's sad to me that, even in the hurly burly of an online flame-war, we keep losing all the best insults.

I've heard that septic compost is also an excellent source of fire and

(Sorry, I couldn't resist ..... :backtotopic:)
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Jerky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:32 pm

LOL is that true, Cordelia?!

I know that my old composting bin used to get hot from all the organic activity, melting the snow around it for a good foot and a half at least!

YOPJ
Jerky

Postby Cordelia » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:40 pm

^^^
:wink Nah, but could be; why not......patent pending material idea?
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion