FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby Cordelia » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Anybody going to see this? Trailer looks intriguing.......I’ll look forward to when it’s released on dvd. The other collaboration between Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Day- Lewis was ‘There Will Be Blood, in which I found 'Daniel Plainview' to be like a force of nature.

Day- Lewis has said he's retiring and this is his last film. I've admired him (despite his knighthood) and seen all his films w/exception of ‘Lincoln.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY33WSUGPEQ
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Jerky » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:53 pm

Looks okay, but I have yet to see a film set in the world of fashion that I've been able to get through in a single sitting.

Anybody else here excited about the upcoming stop-motion film coming from Wes Anderson? I didn't much care for The Amazing Mr Fox, but Isle of Dogs (I think) looks far more intriguing, and after his last three films (Darjeeling Ltd, Moonrise Kingdom, Grand Budapest Hotel), I will NOT be missing anything Anderson does for as long as we both shall live.

J
Jerky

Postby Cordelia » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:03 pm

Jerky » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:53 pm wrote:Looks okay, but I have yet to see a film set in the world of fashion that I've been able to get through in a single sitting.

Anybody else here excited about the upcoming stop-motion film coming from Wes Anderson? I didn't much care for The Amazing Mr Fox, but Isle of Dogs (I think) looks far more intriguing, and after his last three films (Darjeeling Ltd, Moonrise Kingdom, Grand Budapest Hotel), I will NOT be missing anything Anderson does for as long as we both shall live.

J

I can understand that, though fashion setting's def. a draw for me.

'The Royal Tenenbaums' is my favorite Wes Anderson pic; hated it at first (Gene Hackman's R.T. reminded me too much of my dad), now it's part of my dvd 'library' (for the same reason).

Didn't know about 'Isle of Dogs'. It's on my list--thanks for the heads-up; :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt__kig8PVU

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby DrEvil » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:02 pm

So, Sicario 2 is a thing. From the trailer it looks a lot more like a bog standard action film, but I'm still cautiously optimistic as it was written by Taylor Sheridan, who also wrote the first one plus Hell and High Water and Wind River. It's also directed by Stefano Sollima who directed all 22 episodes of Romanzo Criminale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... ymm6cmE9uQ

And since I mentioned Romanzo Criminale: watch it! Best gangster show around with lots of Rigint vibes (deep state, strategy of tension, P2 lodge).
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Jerky » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:19 am

You're welcome, Cordelia.

Royal Tenenbaums is among my very favorite films of all time, too. I began seeing all of Wes Anderson's films in theater with Rushmore, and since then the only one I waited for video to see was Darjeeling Ltd. I won't make that mistake again. The tableaux he creates were meant to be seen on the big screen.

Jerky
Jerky

Postby chump » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Bladerunner 2049...

T’was on in our LR - for the duration, so I just gotta glimpse of the twenty first century Game of Thrones… Post modern day mercenaries mind controlled by a mechanized madam - from afar, as her finger nails are digitaliy lasered by some creepy Confucius in a creepy salon…The entire creation is crap-ily creepy! The music, the actors, their eyeless expressions, the excruciating story, the somber scenery, the stupid sex, the senseless violence, the snow on the steps, suck! I'm sorry I saw it!! It sure wasn't one I would watch again.
chump

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:36 pm

Jerky » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 am wrote:You're welcome, Cordelia.

Royal Tenenbaums is among my very favorite films of all time, too. I began seeing all of Wes Anderson's films in theater with Rushmore, and since then the only one I waited for video to see was Darjeeling Ltd. I won't make that mistake again. The tableaux he creates were meant to be seen on the big screen.

Jerky

tableaux is definitely what he does intentionally and really, really well, in addition to that feeling of wistful nostalgia without being drippy.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Cordelia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:28 pm

chump » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:53 pm wrote:Bladerunner 2049...

T’was on in our LR - for the duration, so I just gotta glimpse of the twenty first century Game of Thrones… Post modern day mercenaries mind controlled by a mechanized madam - from afar, as her finger nails are digitaliy lasered by some creepy Confucius in a creepy salon…The entire creation is crap-ily creepy! The music, the actors, their eyeless expressions, the excruciating story, the somber scenery, the stupid sex, the senseless violence, the snow on the steps, suck! I'm sorry I saw it!! It sure wasn't one I would watch again.

I didn't like the Bladerunner sequel either. It came highly recommended by a friend who readily acknowledged optimal enjoyment w/surround-sound on a huge screen in a mind-controlling theater w/a packed audience. I watched the dvd for about a 1/2 hour on my small screen at home before escaping from another 2 hours of wasted time & brain cells. Will stick w/watching the original (again).

Recommend this quieter film about an East German physician who's banished by the government to a small seaside village in 1980. She's bitter and suspicious (for good reason, since she’s routinely monitored and searched by Stasi.); rejecting those who try to befriend her, but compassionate & dedicated to her patients. I found it powerfully conveyed many human experiences, inc. loneliness, the cost of political oppression on individuals, along w/the trust, humanity & humility that can be found in making hard choices. (Also enjoyed the atmospheric presence of the Baltic Sea throughout the film along w/a brief analysis of Rembrandt’s “The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp”, and a cleverly beautiful tie-in to ‘The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn’.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l3VRf3enx8

Cordelia

Postby Jerky » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:17 pm

ANNIHILATION!

Very, very good movie. It's like a sci-fi take on Lovecraft's best short story, The Colour Out of Space, only far scarier, and with even darker, cosmic pessimism leanings. I'm sure Eugene "Horror of Philosophy" Thacker will have a field day with it!

J.
Jerky

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 pm

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Jerky » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:51 pm

That's pretty ace, Jack.

Jerky

Postby chump » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Recently, I changed the channel and chanced to see Changeling; the true story of a 1928 single mother suddenly missing her only son, and her brutal battle with the itty-bitty brass balled city hall bosses who brazenly bagged her with a circumcised stranger who was three inches shorter, and whose dentals were definitely different than her still missing son’s!

She tried to return the little imposter, but the police insisted that she was still responsible to take care of this stranger! She refused of course, because her son was still missing, so the corrupt captain, more interested in statistics, had her committed to an mental institution… where she could’ve been subjected to electro-shock therapy, drugs, and torture!

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... d=95935010

A serial killer. A corrupt police department. And a missing child. Yes, it's the latest Hollywood thriller. But the new Clint Eastwood movie Changeling is also based on a true story — one of the most bizarre and tragic crime stories of the 1920s.

It's a story with so many strange turns and outlandish characters that screenwriter J. Michael Straczynski didn't believe it at first.

A former L.A. journalist, Straczynski first heard about Christine Collins from one of his old sources at City Hall, who told him where to find her story in the archives.

"When I read over the transcript and I saw what had happened, I thought, 'This can't be real,' " he says. "This has to be a mistake."

Christine Collins — played in the film by Angelina Jolie — was a single mom whose 9-year-old son Walter disappeared in March of 1928.

About five months later, a runaway from Illinois showed up, pretending to be Walter. But when Christine Collins insisted the boy was not her son, Los Angeles police captain J.J. Jones dismissed her.

Uncertain, under pressure, Collins took the boy home anyway. Three weeks later, she returned to the LAPD to say she was absolutely certain the runaway was not her son. Jones accused her of shirking her duty as a mother.

Straczynski says he spent about a year investigating the case. He dug through records all over L.A. — at the county courthouse, at the library, in the archives of the Los Angeles Times, the city morgue.

And he went through box after box of medical records — because Capt. Jones, afraid that Collins would publicly embarrass the Los Angeles Police Department with her claim that they'd reunited her with the wrong child, had her committed to an insane asylum.

"Because the police ... refused to admit they'd made a mistake," Straczynski says. "They had to somehow say this woman is nuts — and their best way to reinforce that was to literally incarcerate her."

From Solo Crusader To Public Cause

Collins' misfortunes were big news in California in the late 1920s. The Times ran headlines like "New Kidnapping Clew In Hunt for Missing Collins Boy" ... "Enigma Boy Identified" ... "Mother Sues City and Police for $500,000."
A popular Presbyterian minister named Gustav Briegleb — played by John Malkovich in the movie — took up her cause. His disgust with the Los Angeles Police Department was legendary.

"When she was locked up, he was one of the foremost voices increasing her visibility to let people know what had happened," Straczynski says.

The Rev. Briegleb's grandson Ross Briegleb says he grew up hearing about the crusading minister who wanted to clean up L.A. But this new movie took him by surprise.

"I never in my wildest dreams thought my grandfather would be portrayed in a movie," Briegleb says. "On the other hand, he was a very famous guy."

Answers At Last — But Not The Kind That Comfort

Just when you imagine things can't get any worse in the story of Christine Collins, they do. Her son's body was never found, but it's almost certain that he was one of the victims in the so-called Wineville Chicken Murders.

Gordon Stewart Northcott was convicted of killing three boys on a chicken ranch. His mother, Sarah Louise Northcott, confessed to killing Walter Collins. The brutality of the crimes created such a nightmarish image that Wineville changed its name to Mira Loma.

But Joe Straczynski says he did not want Changeling to focus on the atrocities.
"I decided the best and most honorable way to tell the story was from [Collins'] perspective," the screenwriter says. "It is about her war, her battle to find her son, what happened to her son.

"Everyone around her had an agenda — a political agenda, a personal agenda," Straczynski says. "The only clear voice in the entire story was hers."

————

http://chickenmurders.blogspot.com

—————
chump

Postby Cordelia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:32 am

DrEvil » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:02 pm wrote:So, Sicario 2 is a thing. From the trailer it looks a lot more like a bog standard action film, but I'm still cautiously optimistic as it was written by Taylor Sheridan, who also wrote the first one plus Hell and High Water and Wind River. It's also directed by Stefano Sollima who directed all 22 episodes of Romanzo Criminale.

Just watched this (Sheridan also directed it); thought it very good but ironic, putting it mildly--given its subject, that it was produced by Weinstein's Co.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9PDOoLAfg

Cordelia

Postby DrEvil » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:29 pm

^^Haven't watched it yet but loved Hell and High Water and Sicario, so definitely going in the queue. And yeah, the subject matter is very ironic considering Weinstein, but then he's been involved in so many productions it's almost impossible to avoid. Some of them are bound to be about things that take on new meaning in hindsight.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Cordelia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:33 pm

DrEvil » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:29 pm wrote:^^Haven't watched it yet but loved Hell and High Water and Sicario, so definitely going in the queue. And yeah, the subject matter is very ironic considering Weinstein, but then he's been involved in so many productions it's almost impossible to avoid. Some of them are bound to be about things that take on new meaning in hindsight.

w/o a doubt; many of them my own favorites. Such is life (on the screen anyway.)

Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie