Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Postby liminalOyster » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:20 pm

peartreed » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:28 pm wrote:Some look to the content while others take umbrage at the character posting.

A few days ago you responded to me neutrally commenting solely on the "content" of your posting by suggesting that I was part of a group effort to marginalize you. You don't, to me, look like you're taking your own advice to heart.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:40 am

Jerky banned, Rory quit ... guess I missed a lot while semi-lurking. Take care y'all. Seems I can't post anything without an "eye roll" response or an angry retort these days that brings about my least desirable qualities in response. I'm going back to full-time lurking until such time as I have something say that doesn't reference the social interaction at this board or result in a reaction based on perceived poster personalities. Peace.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:02 pm

mentalgongfu2 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:40 am wrote:Jerky banned, Rory quit ...

These two events are not the same. One was always coming.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Jerky is not banned he is on suspension
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:48 pm

Just observing here. Not speaking as anything other than an observer, okay? Unless he's going to clean up that rhetorical style something radical, one might expect futher bannings are coming. I mean, I'm foulmouthed and mean, too, but there is a limit to that and also to just sheer misrepresenting everyone left and right.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:54 pm

futher bannings?.....damn spell check made that hard to type.....anyway do you mean plural?

I have never ever supported anyone being banned ...except for Mr. Cowboy but Womby didn't wait for my advice on that one
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:09 pm

Who was Mr. Cowboy?

JackRiddler

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:26 pm

An open statement of intent, from page1 of this thread:
American Dream » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:35 am wrote: If I am going to "fight" it should be fair and that's unlikely to happen,[...].

For "fight" read "discuss".
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:55 pm

The discussion is continuing in this thread:

American Dream: Supporter of Ukrainian fascism on RI

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:00 am

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41464

That discussion is long overdue. It is entirely necessary and justified, and it should not be allowed to sink without trace.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:56 pm

that OP is against the rules ...should be locked and sent to the Fire Pit

you bullied Countdown off this board I think we should discuss that
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:10 pm

Cross-posting.

MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:39 pm wrote:By the way, and for the record: I fully support Jack in his decision to start this thread and his decision to keep posting in it. The thread just keeps demonstrating precisely why it was, and is, both absolutely necessary and long overdue.

Before there is yet another outbreak of disingenuous accusations of "bullying", "harrassment", "stalking", or any other such really shameless lies, there are a few simple and obvious questions I'd like to see answered beforehand by anyone who thinks of resorting to that infantile tactic yet again:

1. Why did Jeff name this website "Rigorous Intuition"?

2. Why did he name this particular board "General Discussion"?

3. a) Why did he create a separate board and name it "Data Dump"? b) Why did stillrobertpaulsen maintain that distinction and introduce an entirely new board called "Current Events"? (Why did he feel he had to?)

4. a) Why did Rory -- now permanently departed, and god knows not for no reason -- start a thread entitled "Rhetoric and the Art of Collaborative Discussion"?

b) How is anyone supposed to discuss anything -- collaboratively or at all -- when 2 posters dominate * the Rigorous Intuition Discussion Board with acre upon acre upon acre of copied-and-pasted verbiage they are either not prepared to defend or else wholly incapable of defending (or taking responsibility for)?

* Those two posters have 50,000 posts between them. Fifty thousand. At a rough estimate, that is 50,000,000 words. Fifty million words. And very few of those words are their own words, or any kind of rational contribution to any kind of discussion at all.

The Rigorous Intuition Discussion Board was hijacked four years ago when Project Willow stepped down as the last co-mod, then gradually and deliberately run into the ground by Wombaticus Rex. At the very least he was indifferent to the survival of this place and called himself, elsewhere, "The Last Moderator". (Yes, I can substantiate this.) This time last year he had been AWOL for over two months while posting away to his Twitter account. It was at least three months after that before he re-appeared on this board, without a single word of explanation or apology.

This time last year there were, to all intents and purposes, only 2 active posters left here, replying to themselves incessantly by recycling other people's copied-and-pasted words. I need not name those 2 posters.

It was not a healthy place, to say the least.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:21 pm

you tell me I should not bring up the past .....but that is EXACTLY what you are doing with AD

So what's it going to be?

You're entitled ...but I am not supposed to bring up your past?
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:24 pm

In what way is American Dream the past?

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby liminalOyster » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:58 am

Taking a break for awhile but a thought: could this forum be configured to allow OP's to moderate their own threads?
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:14 am

There is a built in feature that has been in place since day one and it was put there for a very good reason .....if one does not like what someone is posting put them on ignore .....it is a simple solution that anyone can utilize. It is a brilliant option. Every member here is equal no matter what some members think. A campaign to completely silence a member instead of just ignoring them was never has never happened here and should never happen here. Censorship by Membership was not an entended option. The beauty of R.I. was that Jeff took steps to insure there would be no censorship here. The ignore feature is there membership here was NEVER based on popularity ...no member here has the right to demand someone be banned ...it was never the intent of our founding father.....he gave us an ignore option Jeff never intended gang rule.....his basic rules have served R.I. well for 14 years
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion