American Dream's Open Letter to Jeff Wells

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

American Dream's Open Letter to Jeff Wells

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:45 pm

Mods (the four currently listed Moderators are Dr Volin, 82_28. Elvis and Jeff): Could someone, any one of you who actually still has Mod privileges, please make this thread a sticky, a pinned thread? At least until January 31st 2019. No member of this board has ever written an Open Letter to Jeff Wells (the founder of this Discussion Board in 2004 or 2005), and if anything deserves this Discussion Board's sustained attention, this surely does. Not only is it completely unprecedented in this board's 14-year history, many RI members and visitors to this site appear to have missed it completely.

Above all, it needs to be discussed because it has apparently led to Elvis abruptly resigning (!) from his position as Moderator after only seven months. (This is why I started the Thread for Elvis -- in full solidarity with Elvis and in full support for him.)

Reproduced verbatim both in content and in formatting (and I have no idea why "A.D." is bolded):

American Dream » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:55 am wrote:Cross-posting because it's relevant:

American Dream » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:57 am wrote:
An Open Letter to Jeff Wells

"Rigorous Intuition", the board which you sponsor, has been going downhill for some years now. One important and integral factor is the inconsistent moderation, which has been quite a problem at times. This is an ongoing issue in the time since you left, as you once played a much more active role in cultivating a healthy culture within the community.

Never has that been more apparent than now, under the defacto rule of the unaccountable Elvis Administration, which seems intent on running the board as the personal plaything of a small group of problematic posters. It would be no exaggeration to describe them as an ideologically aligned group of serial abusers.

Ultimately this is something that must be figured out in accordance with your own inner presence. I urge you to investigate thoroughly and reflect deeply on what Rigorous Intuition is in the process of becoming. I then urge you to act according to the voice of your deepest and truest conscience.

Sincerely,

A.D. aka American Dream

There are many questions that could, should and must be asked about this. For instance, exactly whom is he casting aspersions on? Why doesn't he name names or provide evidence? Exactly how did he get back in here after Elvis had suspended him? Four days on, no one has answered those questions or any others. Right now, only American Dream is demonstrably present, knows the answers to those questions, and can provide those answers easily.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: American Dream's Open Letter to Jeff Wells

Postby Jerky » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:19 pm

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!

DID MAC JUST CENSOR ME?!

HOW DID HE DO THAT?!

DOES MAC HAVE SECRET BEHIND-THE-SCENES SUPER-POWERS?!

UNPRECEDENTED!!! A BOARD-HISTORIC OUTRAGE!!! I DEMAND THIS POST BE STICKIED!!!!1!11%^&

Surely this is grounds for Mac to be handed a decade-long "time out"!??!?
Jerky

Postby BenDhyan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Mac is right, I expect 82_28 to come clean on this matter, it's not going to go away...
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby peartreed » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:51 pm

The core of the current conflict on the board is the division into competing camps, along with the rhetoric of rival rancor and ridicule of the “other side’s” offerings and opinions - and its authors.

This is precisely the practice of the current President, needing a foil to foment all his fury against.

If you decide to divide a country – or a formerly friendly forum – into fighting factions, find a foil.

Or two. Or more. Just make sure they are likely already the least popular, or the most prominent, or both, and then pick on them. Find further fault. Focus on all their flaws. Create nasty nicknames for them; test smearing slogans too. The more different they are from “the norm”, the better.

This exercise in deflection takes scrutiny off you and places the persecution right back on the most vulnerable. Call on others to join in on the judgment and ask the authorities to intervene for all. Take sadistic pleasure in composing the most cutting and cruel deconstructions of the enemy’s ideas, comments and contributions. Find creative pleasure in perverting their political and personal positions in your responding posts. Create an ongoing atmosphere of harsh antagonism towards all critical and competing contributions conflicting with your own. Then criticize the character of their enemy author.

Trump has shown you exactly how this tactic of deterrence and deflection can easily divide and destroy. All it takes is a gullible and easily-influenced following of sycophants who enjoy bandwagon bullying. Everyone can take part in removing dissent and difference and thus reasserting commonality.
peartreed

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks, Jerky and peartreed. Please, don't hold back. Continue being your very best selves. You are showing the Rigorous Intuition Discussion Board the best thinking and the finest feeling you're capable of, and you're also showing American Dream exactly the nature and quality of the "support" he enjoys.

That's the entire Alliance Against Elvis: American Dream - Jerky - peartreed. Mature. Principled. ROTFLing. Alliterating. Brave. Formidable. Rigorously, tirelessly, intuiting, and fucking sensitive as fuck.

No wonder Elvis felt he had to go (for the time being). It's certainly food for thought.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Cordelia » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:51 pm

My first response to AD's letter was similar to what member vondardanelle posted on Dec. 24 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40878&start=435 ...........; I thought the letter was laughable. Also that it reflected who and what AD is, not Elvis. I rarely read AD authored threads anyway and usually find it relatively easy to scroll past posts; they're like speed bumps slowing down the drive; annoying but inevitable inconveniences.

But I didn't realize then that he'd been suspended for a year(!) I don't like labels, but re-reading it I thought that if the letter was written in retaliation, it's a text-book example of passive-aggressive behavior at its worst; chilling, cruel and, like all passive-aggressive behavior when it's acted out, cowardly.

Ultimately this is something that must be figured out in accordance with your own inner presence. I urge you to investigate thoroughly and reflect deeply on what Rigorous Intuition is in the process of becoming. I then urge you to act according to the voice of your deepest and truest conscience.

I find ^^^ plea particularly disingenuous in new-agey meaningless non-speak.

(I personally don't think anyone should be permanently banned unless they're consistently abusive, or they reveal information about or the identity of another member.)

Meanwhile........is anyone moderating?
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:24 pm

Cordelia » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:51 pm wrote:...

Meanwhile........is anyone moderating?

Like many RI members, I hope for and look forward to Elvis's return in the New Year at the latest. In the meantime, I have a feeling we should be thankful for this temporary autonomous zone, this liminal space, precisely because it's so unexpected. ("A gratuitous grace" - A.Hu[vimeo][/vimeo]xley ) It gives people a chance to manifest their best or their worst selves in the absence of anyone who'll tell them how to do it. I've experienced some strange things under such circumstances, not all of them easily classified as either good or bad.

For the record, I am not in favour of anyone being banned or suspended for anything they post during this weird suspended time. It might actually turn out to be productive to have no one in charge between now and January 3rd. It'll give everyone the chance to see, and to show, what's what,

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Grizzly » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Is this what you were going for Mac? Regarding Gratuitous Grace?
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby peartreed » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:10 pm

When MacCruiskeen's current campaign of character assassination runs out of convenient targets for his endless ire, perhaps a mirror will work.
peartreed

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:06 pm

Quick question to AD: Did you post that Open Letter to Facespook (or to some other online platform) before posting it here?

I ask because I cant see any other reason why you should have opened that Open Letter with an embedded link to RI.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Grizzly » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:16 am

Warmer???
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Jerky » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:55 am

At last, Brother Bear, something we all should - but probably don't - agree upon!

For those who eschew chemicals (that overburdened word), there are also some pretty nifty effects to be experienced via certain breathing exercises.

J
Jerky

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:30 pm

Does "A.D." ever answer a straight question? Does he have everyone at this Discussion Board "on ignore"?

Once more, this time in red:

MacCruiskeen » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:06 pm wrote:Quick question to AD: Did you post that Open Letter to Facespook (or to some other online platform) before posting it here?

I ask because I cant see any other reason why you should have opened that Open Letter with an embedded link to RI.

Emphasis added.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Jerky » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Mac, are YOU going to tell me how you managed to erase my first reply to your message?

Did Elvis surreptitiously pass on his moderator access to you upon resigning his post or something?

Also (and possibly related), I have recently noticed some "funny business" going on with my PM inbox, in that, on at least two occasions when my front page showed 0 new messages, when I clicked through to my Inbox, regardless... there were messages that I previously hadn't seen, but not showing as "new"... as if someone logged in as me and read them before I got a chance to see them, first. Two times this happened, both since I returned from my month-long banning (so starting on Dec 24th).

Any help in figuring out what the Hell is going on would be much appreciated.

Sincerely;
yer old pal Jerky
Jerky

Postby PufPuf93 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:50 pm

I asked for a link to Jeff Wells FB several days ago and still have no answer from anyone and would still like that link.

Thank you, anyone, in advance.

I have always been neutral regards AD. Actually have been fond of the Tantra thread and check for new stuff nearly every day. Admit scroll past most of ADs posts but do read some that have raised my awareness of other items where otherwise I would be 100% clueless (and now am only 85% clueless in that for example alt-right stuff would just fly unnoticed over my head). I have been hiding in the mountains for so long now that I have contact with an extreme few that have any awareness of such stuff at all).

The "Open Letter" made me angry at the moment in that I perceive it as an (unnecessary) attack on RI community but I also did not agree with AD getting a yeas suspension. But thought Elvis in general was doing an excellent job as Mod. Now I am curious about the inside scoop on just exactly what happened. Worry that JackR will not be back and did not agree with Rory getting banned and miss SRP, HM, etc.

Personally I do not get the interpersonal animosity. My perception of RI was that people disagree and scrap some but compared to other places on the internet there that descend into hate and censorship. I don't agree with everyone and some of you are absolutely whack about some subjects. But I like the mix of high weirdness, conspiracy, politics, sociology, news of the day plus the international participants (really miss AliceKurious as well). Entertaining and informative.
PufPuf93

Next

Return to General Discussion