Questioning Consciousness

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Questioning Consciousness

Postby Harvey » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:24 am

Something happened while I was painting the picture at the bottom of this commentary, something I've experienced many times before. My studio is in the flight path(?) of a hive of wasps one of their favourite routes. It's quite a well established route of many years I was told by the owner of the house. In the attic room, if the window is opened on one side of the roof, the corresponding window on the opposite side also has to be opened. In which case the wasps simply zip straight through, in one side, out the other. If not they tend to become confused and rapidly accumulate in numbers making a nuisance of themselves.

Anyway, last summer was sweltering and while my studio has two sash windows both on the same wall, there is no other exit besides the door, apart from the way they came in. And come in they did, almost invariably ending up batting themselves against the far window, sometimes the top section of the window they entered by. Even worse, getting themselves sandwiched in the little gap between the two panes once the lower half is slid open. It became quite a chore to stop work and free them each time they became stuck.

I remember how hard I laughed when my little brother ran into a wasp nest once and danced like Thom Yorke as they swarmed and stung him all over. He hated them after that. Over the years I've gotten on quite well with bees and wasps, been stung a few times but usually only when I've done something stupid. I never took it personally. I think calming thoughts, gently cup my hands around them, which doesn't seem to bother them (or me) and release them outside. Anyway they kept coming in, attracted by the vase of Sunflowers set up exactly as in the painting. I began to visualise how I might see the window through their eyes and how I should move if I were them, in order to fly to the open section of window from wherever they were. After a few attempts something seemed to gel and almost all of the subsequent wasps changed in behaviour from frantic lunging against the glass to a steady tentative flight directly toward the exit once they'd satisfied themselves with the flowers. This happy circumstance continued until nearly the end of the painting. I was thinking about placing one of the fallen petals on the nearest rams horn when one fell off and landed on it rather provocatively. Then a wasp came in the window and slowly approached me, hovering in front of my right eye for a short while as if regarding me, or perhaps, trying to get my attention. Then it flew to the petal, landed on it and turned to face me exactly as if posing. Little bastard flew off almost immediately. I put a wasp in the title though.

I've experienced this kind of interaction most of my life but seen it as a sort of imaginary dialogue, a fancy, until recent years. I never imagined that I could for one moment apprehend the mind of wasps, as such, or any other animal except imaginatively. Now I imagine that sometimes we can accommodate each other if we choose. If we learn such accommodation by chance or inclination. We've always done it apparently, some tribes adopt other species (or vice versa) as a kind of family member and flourish together, able to warn each other of potential dangers and alert each other to opportunities. We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. And it doesn't stop at the animal kingdom, it reaches up and down the chain of being. I never try to convince anyone of this, it's merely part of my experience and theirs if or when they choose it, but sometimes I wish we'd snap out of the machine metaphors and profit motives and simply reach out beyond our fears. Saint Francis had something of the right idea, but time is running out so fast.

What all of this implies about mind, about consciousness is really quite profound. We may well be destroying not only a 'support system' as some see it, in the present ecological catastrophe we may be destroying a fundamental part of our own mind. How would we know if we weren't? What might we expect to happen to our conceptual powers if it were so? If our dream is not merely ours, as a species I mean, then how might the slow loss of our dreams appear to us? Very much like madness I would suppose. Like the slow withdrawal of inspiration. Who's to say where I begin or a bacterium ends? Who's asking such a question seriously? And if it were true in whole or part, the implications for our future are equally profound. We have a choice to make.

Sunflowers Ram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Harvey » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:33 am

Looking back at you.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Sounder » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:17 am

I'm with you Harvey, I experienced a few things along these lines this year. We had a white feathered robin nest under the back porch this last spring. It was neat to see him hang out much more and more closely than the other birds. I took the reason to be that because I was paying more attention to him, he was paying more attention to me. And then there was the praying mantis who was asking how the fuck it is that humans poison the earth with such cavalier disregard. He said a lot more but it was over my head.
Sounder

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:52 am

If it is so that we/everything is the same stuff, then it makes perfect sense. Do we see a melt down in human consciousness right now as we write? Why, yes, we do. Once we came to see ourselves as separate from everything else, every other species, the breakdown began and is now underway in earnest although awareness is so greatly affected that most can't see it. The solution lies within every heart, but, again, we lack the awareness to make the connection or realize what we're missing. Maybe at this point we should, instead, be trying to find a way to break this cycle, because it is not new. After the next reset, who will remember and who will understand how the last destructive cycle began?
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby chump » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:37 pm

One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. The latter procedure, however, is disagreeable and therefore not popular.

- Carl G. Jung
chump

Postby chump » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:41 pm

https://www.cryptogon.com/?p=54388

Neuroscientists Say They’ve Found an Entirely New Form of Neural Communication
February 18th, 2019

Make sure everyone is bathed in directed energy weapon beams 5G network signals.

Via: ScienceAlert:

What they found was that slow periodic activity can generate electric fields which in turn activate neighbouring cells, constituting a form of neural communication without chemical synaptic transmission or gap junctions.

“We’ve known about these waves for a long time, but no one knows their exact function and no one believed they could spontaneously propagate,” Durand says.

“I’ve been studying the hippocampus, itself just one small part of the brain, for 40 years and it keeps surprising me.”

This neural activity can actually be modulated – strengthened or blocked – by applying weak electrical fields and could be an analogue form of another cell communication method, called ephaptic coupling.

The team’s most radical finding was that these electrical fields can activate neurons through a complete gap in severed brain tissue, when the two pieces remain in close physical proximity.

“To ensure that the slice was completely cut, the two pieces of tissue were separated and then rejoined while a clear gap was observed under the surgical microscope,” the authors explain in their paper.

“The slow hippocampal periodic activity could indeed generate an event on the other side of a complete cut through the whole slice.”

If you think that sounds freaky, you’re not the only one. The review committee at The Journal of Physiology – in which the research has been published – insisted the experiments be completed again before agreeing to print the study.

Durand et al. dutifully complied, but sound pretty understanding of the cautiousness, all things considered, given the unprecedented weirdness of the observation they’re reporting.

“It was a jaw-dropping moment,” Durand says, “for us and for every scientist we told about this so far.”

“But every experiment we’ve done since to test it has confirmed it so far.”

=============

Also via Cryptogon:

https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/ ... ign=buffer
February 17th, 2017

Life Imitates Akira: the NSA’s fear of psychic nukes

Agency wondered if ten psychics could cause a chain reaction that would cause a city to become lost in time and space

Written by Emma Best
Edited by JPat Brown

A classified government document opens with “an odd sequence of events relating to parapsychology has occurred within the last month” and concluded with an alarming question about psychics nuking cities so that they became lost in time and space. If this sounds like a plot out of science fiction, it is - but it’s also a NSA memo from 1977.

The first “event” raised by the NSA note is a CIA report which mentioned KGB research into parapsychology. According to this, the KGB used hobbyists and non-governmental researchers to talk to western scientists. This allowed the KGB to collect useful information without putting themselves into a position to accidentally leak confidential information to westerners. According to the NSA note, this tactic yielded “high grade western scientific data.”

[…]

By an interesting coincidence, the “Philadelphia Experiment hoax” bears some superficial resemblance to the theorized weapon in the NSA note. According various versions of the hoax, the USS Eldridge was temporarily rendered invisible or transported through time and space. The incident is even listed on NSA’s webpage of paranormal topics that they don’t have records on. However, there were other papers prepared on the perceived potential of weaponizing psychic abilities, some of which will be explored later. For now, you can read the NSA note below:

[… con’d]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holonomic_brain_theory

Wikipedia - Holonomic Brain Theory

Holonomic brain theory is a branch of neuroscience investigating the idea that human consciousness is formed by quantum effects in or between brain cells. This is opposed by traditional neuroscience, which investigates the brain's behavior by looking at patterns of neurons and the surrounding chemistry, and which assumes that any quantum effects will not be significant at this scale. The entire field of quantum consciousness is often criticized as pseudoscience, as detailed on the main article thereof.

This specific theory of quantum consciousness was developed by neuroscientist Karl Pribram initially in collaboration with physicist David Bohm. It describes human cognition by modeling the brain as a holographic storage network.[1][2] Pribram suggests these processes involve electric oscillations in the brain's fine-fibered dendritic webs, which are different from the more commonly known action potentials involving axons and synapses.[3][4][5] These oscillations are waves and create wave interference patterns in which memory is encoded naturally, and the waves may be analyzed by a Fourier transform.[3][4][5][6][7] Gabor, Pribram and others noted the similarities between these brain processes and the storage of information in a hologram, which can also be analyzed with a Fourier transform.[1][8] In a hologram, any part of the hologram with sufficient size contains the whole of the stored information. In this theory, a piece of a long-term memory is similarly distributed over a dendritic arbor so that each part of the dendritic network contains all the information stored over the entire network.[1][8][9] This model allows for important aspects of human consciousness, including the fast associative memory that allows for connections between different pieces of stored information and the non-locality of memory storage (a specific memory is not stored in a specific location, i.e. a certain cluster of neurons).[1][10][11]

[… con’d]

—————

https://youtu.be/x8_hcZmU8yk

————————

RI… ‘Holonomic’

————————

RI - Tantra Induced Delusional Syndrome (“TIDS”)

————————

RI - Fear

————
chump

Postby Grizzly » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:31 am

AH POOK IS HERE (1994), a stop motion film written and narrated by Willam S. Burroughs
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby thrulookingglass » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:51 am

This happy circumstance continued until nearly the end of the painting. I was thinking about placing one of the fallen petals on the nearest rams horn when one fell off and landed on it rather provocatively. - Harvey

Jeesh Harvey. Why'd you have to put a ram's head in your painting. You're right of course, all consciousness is intertwined, spinning in infinity like the universe itself. None are greater that find any lesser. Your concern for the wasps well being was not lost on creation. ALL things require care if life is to be well lived. Our understanding of one another is imperative to the quality of the lives we live. We can see how our neglect has lead us into a world of horrors. It's all psychological warfare, what belief system can I impose upon you. As for me, I can't abide by Catholicism or even Christianity as I find nepotism immoral and while Jesus might say give to the poor, I say create none who are poor. Of course, this depends on you definition of poor. Money is no form of wealth, but greater compassion, empathy, sympathy, concern that others not suffer is the greatest wealth of soul. Love: the unselfish, loyal and benevolent concern for the well being of another. Intelligence is the ability to love and our ability to love is the greatest blessing we could ever offer to another. The anti-theist Aron Ra of youtube fame states, "If you want your life to mean something, try making someone else's life meaningful." As I say, I'm not sure God is a being, but there is a divine way and that is to offer comfort where there is suffering, to anoint the wounds of the sick and injured, to shelter others from harm, and to stand in the way of those that might seek to use violence against any. We have responsibilities here whether we enjoy that fact or not. I often think the male God image has destroyed the feminist nurturing spirit. Isis, after all, though she seems a derivative of Hathor represented that living spirit of nature your St Francis cited as "God's glory". We have turned away from the bosom of the dove, the feminine offers us comfort, the male seeks a throne, something to rule over. I'm paraphrasing but I'll do it once again, the black books say "we shall poison this world as to deafen the voice of God on the land." Happens more and more each day. Car exhaust, all combustion engines, destruction of the forest/nature, the seas, pesticides, herbicides, dioxins. The Hindus and Yogis call it prana, the breath of life, our respiratory exchange with the living world provides us with the energy of life. Nothing happens in a vacuum. The crime scene scenario. You cannot live this life without effecting others. Displacement. How does hatred of sexuality filter into this worship of God? And the horrors it has caused upon the church in this day and age...unheralded. Garbage in, garbage out.

I am the ram. Born 3/26/73. The god of war. The one humanity truly worships. All is born of war here. The computer, spear, technology... Even if 99% of all alien life out there was entirely benevolent, it's that 1% of evil that could ruin it all. The lesson; don't practice evil! Ever! God promises me the most comfortable shackles. Will we ever escape the tragedy of us? Wars of violence are forever awful. Non-violence is the anti-weapon for all it seeks to destroy are broken beliefs. Life has become a pyramid scheme...that's why the King's chamber slope matches my birthday. Kings. "And his Kingdom shall have no end." Where is my queen? Strengthen the God within the. Fear is the mind killer. The late Shannon Hoon croons, "when life gets hard you have to change." Pain is an indication of a wrong path chosen.

All my days I've been searching,
To find out what this life is worth
Through the books and bibles of time
I've made up my mind
I don't condemn, I don't convert,
This is a calling have you heard
Bring all the lovers to the fold,
'Cause no one is gonna lose their soul
Love is my religion
- sings the Rastafarian cannabis user

Where is our love for peace? Greater love is greater security. Aries screams to the universe in the loudest of howls, "Who hath deceived me from the Goddess of love this time?!" The Rabbi wields the shofar, a lone bellow through this darkest of nights. Only Christ is mighty...wallow in filth ye rabble. Come heralded sun, show me what evil I have become.

In our world gun ownership rights are more important than human rights. Failure. Abject failure of man.

This world is the will to power—and nothing besides! And you yourselves are also this will to power—and nothing besides! - Nietzsche

Power. The only word that matters. Controlling consciousness is the war. And it ravages on and on...
Eternal torture is an abomination that eclipses consciousness. None deserve to suffer. There is no hell but the one we create for one another each day we refuse to care for those who so desperately need our help. No world drowner shall rule over me. Ever.
thrulookingglass

Postby chump » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:16 pm

—————————

https://www.cryptogon.com/?p=54417
China’s CRIPSR Twins Might Have Had Their Brains Inadvertently Enhanced
February 22nd, 2019

Via: MIT Technology Review:

The brains of two genetically edited girls born in China last year may have been changed in ways that enhance cognition and memory, scientists say.

The twins, called Lulu and Nana, reportedly had their genes modified before birth by a Chinese scientific team using the new editing tool CRISPR. The goal was to make the girls immune to infection by HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

Now, new research shows that the same alteration introduced into the girls’ DNA, deletion of a gene called CCR5, not only makes mice smarter but also improves human brain recovery after stroke, and could be linked to greater success in school.

“The answer is likely yes, it did affect their brains,” says Alcino J. Silva, a neurobiologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, whose lab uncovered a major new role for the CCR5 gene in memory and the brain’s ability to form new connections.

“The simplest interpretation is that those mutations will probably have an impact on cognitive function in the twins,” says Silva. He says the exact effect on the girls’ cognition is impossible to predict, and “that is why it should not be done.”

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6129 ... s-altered/

[…]

The Chinese team, led by He Jiankui of the Southern University of Science and Technology in Shenzhen, claimed it used CRISPR to delete CCR5 from human embryos, some of which were later used to create pregnancies. HIV requires the CCR5 gene to enter human blood cells.

The experiment has been widely condemned as irresponsible, and He is under investigation in China. News of the first gene-edited babies also inflamed speculation about whether CRISPR technology could one day be used to create super-intelligent humans, perhaps as part of a biotechnology race between the US and China.

There is no evidence that He actually set out to modify the twins’ intelligence. MIT Technology Review contacted scientists studying the effects of CCR5 on cognition, and they say the Chinese scientist never reached out to them, as he did to others from whom he hoped to get scientific advice or support.

As far as I know, we never heard from him,” says Miou Zhou, a professor at the Western University of Health Sciences in California.

Although He never consulted the brain researchers, the Chinese scientist was certainly aware of the link between CCR5 and cognition.  It was first shown in 2016 by Zhou and Silva, who found that removing the gene from mice significantly improved their memory. The team had looked at more than 140 different genetic alterations to find which made mice smarter.

Silva says because of his research, he sometimes interacts with figures in Silicon Valley and elsewhere who have, in his opinion, an unhealthy interest in designer babies with better brains. That’s why, when the birth of the twins became public on November 25, Silva says he immediately wondered if it had been an attempt at this kind of alteration. “I suddenly realized—Oh, holy shit, they are really serious about this bullshit,” says Silva. “My reaction was visceral repulsion and sadness.”

During a summit of gene editing scientists that occurred two days later in Hong Kong, He acknowledged he had known all along about the potential brain effects from the UCLA research. “I saw that paper, it needs more independent verification,” He replied when asked about it during a Q&A session (see video here). He added: “I am against using genome editing for enhancement.” 

Whatever He’s true aims, evidence continues to build that CCR5 plays a major role in the brain. Today, for example, Silva and a large team from the US and Israel say they have new proof that CCR5 acts as a suppressor of memories and synaptic connections.

According to their new report, appearing in the journal Cell, people who naturally lack CCR5 recover more quickly from strokes. What’s more, people missing at least one copy of the gene seem to go further in school, suggesting a possible role in everyday intelligence.

“We are the first to report a function of CCR5 in the human brain, and the first to report a higher level of education,” says UCLA biologist S. Thomas Carmichael, who led the new study. He calls the link to educational success “tantalizing” but says it needs further study.

The discoveries about CCR5 are already being followed up in drug trials on both stroke patients and people with HIV, who sometimes suffer memory problems. In those studies, one of which is under way at UCLA, people are being given an anti-HIV drug, Maraviroc, which chemically blocks CCR5, to see if it improves their cognition.

Silva says there is a big difference between trying to correct deficits in such patients and trying to create enhancement. “Cognitive problems are one of the biggest unmet needs in medicine. We need drugs, but it’s another thing to take normal people and muck with the DNA or chemistry to improve them,” he says. “We simply don’t know enough to do it. Nature has struck a very fine balance.”

Just because we shouldn’t alter normal intelligence doesn’t mean we can’t. Silva says the genetic manipulations used to make “smart mice” show not only that it is possible, but that changing CCR5 has particularly big effects.

“Could it be conceivable that at one point in the future we could increase the average IQ of the population? I would not be a scientist if I said no. The work in mice demonstrates the answer may be yes,” he says. “But mice are not people. We simply don’t know what the consequences will be in mucking around. We are not ready for it yet.”
chump

Postby chump » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:38 am

“This is a computer chip designed to emulate how the human brain thinks - which IBM successfully developed and revealed to the world.

In the future, wearing a similar device, you might be able to access the unlimited knowledge of the Internet directly into your brain.

In the future, with the combination of robotic enhancement and genetic engineering, you might have a perfect body!

Presume to debate precisely when this will happen, but such a world is coming.

??
chump

Postby Harvey » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:47 am

thrulookingglass » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:51 pm wrote:
This happy circumstance continued until nearly the end of the painting. I was thinking about placing one of the fallen petals on the nearest rams horn when one fell off and landed on it rather provocatively. - Harvey

Jeesh Harvey. Why'd you have to put a ram's head in your painting. You're right of course, all consciousness is intertwined, spinning in infinity like the universe itself. None are greater that find any lesser. Your concern for the wasps well being was not lost on creation. ALL things require care if life is to be well lived. Our understanding of one another is imperative to the quality of the lives we live. We can see how our neglect has lead us into a world of horrors. It's all psychological warfare, what belief system can I impose upon you. As for me, I can't abide by Catholicism or even Christianity as I find nepotism immoral and while Jesus might say give to the poor, I say create none who are poor. Of course, this depends on you definition of poor. Money is no form of wealth, but greater compassion, empathy, sympathy, concern that others not suffer is the greatest wealth of soul. Love: the unselfish, loyal and benevolent concern for the well being of another. Intelligence is the ability to love and our ability to love is the greatest blessing we could ever offer to another. The anti-theist Aron Ra of youtube fame states, "If you want your life to mean something, try making someone else's life meaningful." As I say, I'm not sure God is a being, but there is a divine way and that is to offer comfort where there is suffering, to anoint the wounds of the sick and injured, to shelter others from harm, and to stand in the way of those that might seek to use violence against any. We have responsibilities here whether we enjoy that fact or not. I often think the male God image has destroyed the feminist nurturing spirit. Isis, after all, though she seems a derivative of Hathor represented that living spirit of nature your St Francis cited as "God's glory". We have turned away from the bosom of the dove, the feminine offers us comfort, the male seeks a throne, something to rule over. I'm paraphrasing but I'll do it once again, the black books say "we shall poison this world as to deafen the voice of God on the land." Happens more and more each day. Car exhaust, all combustion engines, destruction of the forest/nature, the seas, pesticides, herbicides, dioxins. The Hindus and Yogis call it prana, the breath of life, our respiratory exchange with the living world provides us with the energy of life. Nothing happens in a vacuum. The crime scene scenario. You cannot live this life without effecting others. Displacement. How does hatred of sexuality filter into this worship of God? And the horrors it has caused upon the church in this day and age...unheralded. Garbage in, garbage out.

I am the ram. Born 3/26/73. The god of war. The one humanity truly worships. All is born of war here. The computer, spear, technology... Even if 99% of all alien life out there was entirely benevolent, it's that 1% of evil that could ruin it all. The lesson; don't practice evil! Ever! God promises me the most comfortable shackles. Will we ever escape the tragedy of us? Wars of violence are forever awful. Non-violence is the anti-weapon for all it seeks to destroy are broken beliefs. Life has become a pyramid scheme...that's why the King's chamber slope matches my birthday. Kings. "And his Kingdom shall have no end." Where is my queen? Strengthen the God within the. Fear is the mind killer. The late Shannon Hoon croons, "when life gets hard you have to change." Pain is an indication of a wrong path chosen.

All my days I've been searching,
To find out what this life is worth
Through the books and bibles of time
I've made up my mind
I don't condemn, I don't convert,
This is a calling have you heard
Bring all the lovers to the fold,
'Cause no one is gonna lose their soul
Love is my religion
- sings the Rastafarian cannabis user

Where is our love for peace? Greater love is greater security. Aries screams to the universe in the loudest of howls, "Who hath deceived me from the Goddess of love this time?!" The Rabbi wields the shofar, a lone bellow through this darkest of nights. Only Christ is mighty...wallow in filth ye rabble. Come heralded sun, show me what evil I have become.

In our world gun ownership rights are more important than human rights. Failure. Abject failure of man.

This world is the will to power—and nothing besides! And you yourselves are also this will to power—and nothing besides! - Nietzsche

Power. The only word that matters. Controlling consciousness is the war. And it ravages on and on...
Eternal torture is an abomination that eclipses consciousness. None deserve to suffer. There is no hell but the one we create for one another each day we refuse to care for those who so desperately need our help. No world drowner shall rule over me. Ever.

I think this, and Pele above, is really what I was trying to say. Thanks thrulookingglass, I couldn't possibly agree more.

Thanks Sounder. And thanks Chump for all these pertinent and fascinating articles and links. (If Michio Kaku were able to look beyond the neo-liberal sphere would see that although the internet attempted to recreate with technology how life already communicates, it is for the present time a combination shopping mall and strip mine, with everything that entails. If he could experience what it is like to be connected thus, without buffers, he would certainly not proselytize for it.)

(Saint Francis is a fellow traveller that's all really. I'm not a Christian but diving in fairly deeply as an adult was a very valuable experience. I understand much more than if I hadn't. Like anything else, it is itself and also the world and also an analogue of the world we've been making, flawed as any human representation and with it's own unconscious processes, some of them exceptionally labyrinthine, ugly or insular. From visiting every church within 2 square miles I discovered that almost the only thing which connects any two of them are the gross structural elements. Like all religions it has innumerable obscure or mystical traditions, some of which can at least approach the truth as part of their function, which the granular whole can then share and act upon in seething contradiction. The current pope for example, he was listening for a time. He's been put back to sleep since, but that's how it goes. Change occurs in waves, until the dam bursts.)
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:34 am

Religion, as an institution of domestication and control, is doing exactly what it was intended to do while offering window dressing without much else. I also dived in as an adult as a JW, so, yeah, I've gained plenty of insights..
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby chump » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:12 pm

https://www.cryptogon.com/?p=54718
China: Gene-Editing Techniques Make Monkey Brains More Humanlike
April 11th, 2019

You’ll love this one.

Via:Futurism:

For the first time, scientists have used gene-editing techniques to make monkey brains more humanlike.

The monkeys, rhesus macaques, got smarter — they had superior memories to unaltered monkeys, according to recently-published research that’s kicked off a fiery debate among ethicists about how far scientists should be able to take genetic experimentation.

Cognitive Gap

The team of Chinese scientists edited the human version of a gene called MCPH1 into the macaques. The new gene made the monkeys’ brains develop along a more human-like timeline. The gene-hacked monkeys had better reaction times and enhanced short-term memories compared to their unaltered peers, according to China Daily.

chump

Postby Cordelia » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:46 am

^^^Qualifies as extreme animal cruelty!

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby DrEvil » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:26 pm

But think of all the cheap labor! Make them just smart enough to do menial tasks but not smart enough to unionize.

And as an added bonus human rights don't apply. The possibilities boggle the mind.*

* Big flaming /s in the sky with trumpets and Morgan Freeman shouting "sarcasm!"
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion