Who Was Seth Rich?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Who Was Seth Rich?

Postby Marionumber1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:28 pm

It does mean that the case has gotten past the stage of an ordinary police investigation.The purpose of a grand jury would either be to indict somebody or to continue investigating the case in a more formal manner where witnesses must testify under oath.
Marionumber1

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby elfismiles » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Marionumber1 » 19 Dec 2018 18:28 wrote:It does mean that the case has gotten past the stage of an ordinary police investigation.The purpose of a grand jury would either be to indict somebody or to continue investigating the case in a more formal manner where witnesses must testify under oath.

pretty sure this was likely already posted:

On March 26th, Aaron Rich sued the Washington Times for defamation. Rich’s complaint noted that, despite claims to the contrary, he had appeared before a grand jury and had spent “countless hours” assisting state and local law enforcement officials investigating his brother’s death. The suit also named two other defendants, a Fox guest named Ed Butowsky and a pro-Trump blogger named Matt Couch, who have spread theories about Seth and Aaron Rich. Butowsky has sought to dismiss the case, which is pending in D.C. federal court.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... gy-731426/
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Cordelia » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:30 pm

Bumping because, had he lived, Seth Rich would be celebrating his 30th birthday today.

(I pray that his case is legitimately solved so that years, even decades from now his surviving family members don't find themselves, like me and I'm sure, many, many others, calling the MPDC Cold Case dept. on the anniversary or another significant date to ask whoever has replaced the previous now-retired, polite but unyielding detective assigned their loved one's file, "Detective, please, can you just throw me a bone?" )
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:32 pm

I will never know who killed my sister
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Cordelia » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:35 pm

^^^ I'm sorry....... :hug1:
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:50 pm

Thank you ....it’s just been a very difficult day for me....you have always been kind to me I will try to remember that when dealing with other issues
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby conniption » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:48 am

Kim Dotcom ✔ @KimDotcom
Clintons henchmen indict another Trump ally. Mueller isn’t interested in the truth. The truth is a DNC insider opened the door to DNC data because he witnessed the corruption against Bernie Sanders and wanted to do something. He paid with his life. #SethRich

Kim Dotcom ✔ @KimDotcom
Let me assure you, the DNC hack wasn’t even a hack. It was an insider with a memory stick. I know this because I know who did it and why. Special Counsel Mueller is not interested in my evidence. My lawyers wrote to him twice. He never replied. 360 pounds!https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/world/us-election/dnchack-did-kim-dotcom-warn-the-world-about-the-democratic-party-hacking-20160622-gpp15a.html

^^ from here: http://mikewhitneysgraspingatstraws.blo ... ks_26.html
(links at source)
conniption

Postby Harvey » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:09 am

At around 6:40 in the video.

“Ty Clevenger has FOIAed information from NSA asking for any data that involved both Seth Rich and also Julian Assange.

And they responded by saying we’ve got 15 files, 32 pages, but they’re all classified in accordance with executive order 13526 covering classification, and therefore you can’t have them.

That says that NSA has records of communications between Seth Rich and Julian Assange. I mean, that’s the only business that NSA is in — copying communications between people and devices.”

https://medium.com/@markfmccarty/bill-b ... a2df5a0e5b
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby RocketMan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:38 am

If Binney is interpreting this correctly — and bear in mind that, not only is he extraordinarily bright, but he is sometimes referred to as “the father of the NSA” — this provides strong support for the hypothesis that Seth was indeed Wikileaks’ source for the DNC emails it published. Assange has strongly hinted at this, Sy Hersh claims to have a trusted informant inside the FBI who states that he has seen FBI documents verifying this, and Binney himself says that he has two sources inside the intel community vouching for this.

:frightened: :shock2:

Yep, ALWAYS pay attention when the establishment media take extra care to brand something as kooky conspiracy theory.

Harvey » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:09 pm wrote:At around 6:40 in the video.

“Ty Clevenger has FOIAed information from NSA asking for any data that involved both Seth Rich and also Julian Assange.

And they responded by saying we’ve got 15 files, 32 pages, but they’re all classified in accordance with executive order 13526 covering classification, and therefore you can’t have them.

That says that NSA has records of communications between Seth Rich and Julian Assange. I mean, that’s the only business that NSA is in — copying communications between people and devices.”

-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Elvis » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:43 pm

RocketMan wrote:ALWAYS pay attention when the establishment media take extra care to brand something as kooky conspiracy theory.

Word. And the unusually pungent descriptors used by MSM writers for this outrageous conspiracy theory mark this campaign as especially fishy.

If Binney is interpreting this correctly — and bear in mind that, not only is he extraordinarily bright, but he is sometimes referred to as “the father of the NSA” — this provides strong support for the hypothesis that Seth was indeed Wikileaks’ source for the DNC emails it published. Assange has strongly hinted at this, Sy Hersh claims to have a trusted informant inside the FBI who states that he has seen FBI documents verifying this, and Binney himself says that he has two sources inside the intel community vouching for this.

Just maybe, if 1% of the Russiagate investigative resources were directed to a serious inquiry of the Seth Rich question, we might actually learn some things about what did happen. The GOP clowncar of "investigators" don't count.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:56 pm

RocketMan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:38 am wrote:

:frightened: :shock2:

Yep, ALWAYS pay attention when the establishment media take extra care to brand something as kooky conspiracy theory.

Harvey » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:09 pm wrote:At around 6:40 in the video.

I'm lost and may be missing the entirely obvious. Is there some reason to assume that these communications (which both only "involved" Assange/Rich) are necessarily *between* them?

Would not an Assange message (NSA intercept) making even one of his coy Seth Rich comments qualify as "involving" both?

Edit: to add that although I was very very skeptical of the Rich/WL speculation for a long time, I came around to strongly suspect it was true a long time ago now. I still suspect he was "the" DNC whistleblower, regardless of what role DCLeaks, etc may have also played in transfer to WL. But I'm not clear on why Binney is reaching this conclusion.

Also - was Craig Murray ever formally discredited viz his report of meeting the source in DC later that year?
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:47 pm

^^^^^^^^
Was thinking along the same lines, then came across additional context.

While I also believe Seth Rich was/is the most probable source for the leak to WL/Assange, it appears Binney painted a bit of a broad stroke when describing the FOIA request (though of course this doesn't mean there aren't communications between Assange and Rich, but there's likely other info as well given the language of the request).

In the comments section of the above-linked Medium page:

In my opinion Binney might have misrepresented the content of the letter.

Ty Clevenger posted the NSA reply to his FOIA request on his blog.

According to the NSA reply, Ty Clevenger inquired about “documents, records or communications referencing or containing communications between Seth Rich and any of the following: Julian Assange, Wikileaks, Kim Dotcom, Aaron Rich, Shawn Lucas, Kelsey Mulka, Imran Awan, Abid Awan, Jamal Awan, Hina Alvi, Rao Abbas and/or any person or entity outside the United States” and about documents regarding financial transactions between the same people.

He also asked about records of phone calls made or received by Seth Rich the day before or the same day he was killed.

And finally he asked about correspondence to or from members of Congress regarding the same list of people.

So, I would say that Ty Clevenger’s FOIA request is way too ecompassing for people to be sure that some of the 15 documents the NSA says meets the FOIA request parameters are actually about communications between Seth Rich and Assange or Wikileaks. They might be. But there are too many people in the list to be able to tell with any certainty.

Ty Clevenger's site is also noteworthy (if not previously linked in this thread):

http://lawflog.com/?p=1912

This morning I filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit that asks a federal judge in Brooklyn to order the FBI and U.S. Department of Justice to release records concerning the murder of former Democratic National Committee employee Seth Rich.

Back in October, I wrote about the U.S. Department of Justice ordering the U.S. Attorney’s Office in D.C. to release records about the murder, but since that time not a single record has been produced. Around the same time, the FBI refused to search for records in its Washington Field Office, even though that is where the records are most likely to be found. The lawsuit notes that the FBI has a history of trying to hide records from FOIA requestors and Congress.

I also asked the court to order the National Security Administration to release all of its communications with members of Congress regarding Seth Rich, Julian Assange, and Kim Dotcom, among others.

As you are probably aware, Mr. Rich’s parents filed suit this week against Fox News, producer Malia Zimmerman, and frequent guest Ed Butowsky. I think that was a serious tactical error. All of the defendants now have the legal right to subpoena documents and witnesses, and you can be sure they will use that power aggressively.

THE TRANSPARENCY PROJECT

With help from several supporters, I’ve organized The Transparency Project, a nonprofit corporation headquartered in Texas. If you want to support the Seth Rich litigation, you can find out how at Tproject.org. The website is a little primitive, but I plan to update it soon.

I suspect we will soon be filing another FOIA lawsuit, this time because of the FBI’s failure to release records related to the Hillary Clinton email investigation. The Bureau made national headlines last year when it refused to release records about Mrs. Clinton on the grounds that there was “no public interest” in the subject. That decision was reversed by the Justice Department, but the FBI still has not released the records that I requested.

Meanwhile, I’m still waiting for Arkansas officials to decide whether to act on my bar grievance against Mrs. Clinton, and I suspect that case will also result in a lawsuit. If you want to support any of these causes, go to Tproject.org.

Belligerent Savant

Postby Harvey » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:54 pm

Yes, more detailed information here: http://lawflog.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... awsuit.pdf

While it remains unclear where the claim of correspondence between Assange and Rich arises, presumably Binney believes some element of one of the replies contains the relevant linkage, otherwise, why would he make the claim?
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Not every comment Binney or anyone else makes in the course of an interview is Word from God. Seeing the actual FOIA request specification makes clear that it is not exclusive to communications between RIch and Assange, that the material withheld by the NSA may not pertain to such communications but to communications between Rich and any of the other parties specified. Still, how the NSA responded to it -- specifically stating there are 32 pages of material, even while denying their release -- seems unusual. I'm not an expert, but I have seen rejections that were less specific and gave no such information.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Jerky » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Who was Seth Rich?

One thing is certain. He was NOT a Wikileaker, and he had no dealings with Assange whatsoever (regardless of what that grotesque albino vampire tried to imply with his cutesy 'saying no while nodding yes' bullshit.

From Rational Wiki:

The facts
On Sunday, 10 July 2016, Rich was shot about a block from his apartment in the Bloomingdale neighborhood in Washington, DC.[3]

Earlier that night, he was in Columbia Heights, at a sports pub, 1.8 miles (2.9 km) from his apartment. He left the bar between 1:30 and 1:45 am.[4] Police were alerted to gunfire at 4:20 am by an automated gunfire locator.[5] Police officers found Rich with multiple gunshot wounds.[6] He was in a conscious and breathing state.[6] He was transported to a nearby hospital where he later died.[7] Police have said he died from two shots in the back in what may have been an attempted robbery, noting that the neighborhood had been recently plagued by robberies. Strangely, however, they found his wallet, credit cards, and cellphone on his body.[3]

According to Rich's mother:

There had been a struggle. His hands were bruised, his knees are bruised, his face is bruised, and yet he had two shots to his back, and yet they never took anything... They didn't finish robbing him, they just took his life.[8]

The murder remains unsolved.[9]

The theories
Relating to his death
Claim
The explanation that he was killed in a robbery gone wrong is false because nothing was stolen.[10]
Response
This theory seems to suggest that when a robbery goes wrong and a person is shot, then the robber will always steal something first instead of immediately fleeing the scene. Considering the speed in which police or witnesses could have arrived on the scene, it makes sense that the shooter would immediately flee.[11] Stealing from Rich after shooting him would have also provided forensic evidence that would be used to implicate the shooter.[12]
Claim
Hillary Clinton hired a hitman to assassinate Rich.[13][14][15][16]
Response
This absurd claim is exclusively believable to those who buy into the "Clinton body count" conspiracy.[17] Since they falsely believe Clinton has done this before, then this theory seems plausible even though there is not a shred of evidence supporting it. When examining this theory in detail, it completely falls apart.
If Clinton, or somebody else, had hired a professional hitman then they would make sure Rich died immediately, and not later on in hospital.[18] It is highly unlikely a hitman would leave the scene of the crime with their victim still alive[18] and in a conscious and breathing state.[6]
Clinton also had no motive to kill Rich. In order for this theory to make sense, Clinton would need to have known that Rich was the leaker.[note 1] After she discovered this, she would need to have decided that the best course of action would be to risk her entire campaign, reputation and freedom in hiring a hitman to kill Rich and then covering it up afterwards. It makes no sense that she would come to that conclusion rather than exercising any of the countless legal methods (e.g. naming and shaming) to discipline Rich.
Claim
In an email, John PodestaWikipedia's W.svg says he is "definitely for making an example of a suspected leaker whether or not we have any real basis for it."[19] This gives credibility to the theory that Rich was assassinated.[20][21][22]
Response
This is a classic example of quote mining. The email in question is from February 2015, more than a year before both Rich's death and the DNC leaks.[19] It was referring to an article in The Washington Post concerning the branding of Hillary Clinton.[23][24] Podesta was not a fan of the article and suspected that an insider had leaked information to reporters.[24] In this context, his email had nothing to do with the DNC and was not in any way suggesting that leakers should be murdered.[24] Even actual killers probably do not discuss murdering people on their work email.
Claim
Imran AwanWikipedia's W.svg[note 2] was partying with Seth Rich on the night of his murder.[25][26] There is a link between Awan and Rich's death,[27] and Awan might have murdered him.[28][29][30]
Response
The supposed evidence that they were partying together on the night of Rich's murder is a group photo which includes Rich and a man who conspiracy theorists claim is Imran Awan.[31][32][33] Firstly, the photo was not from the night of Rich's murder. It was uploaded on 22 April 2015, more than a year before Rich's death.[34] On top of that, the man in the photograph is clearly not Imran Awan. When comparing the supposed picture of Awan with a real picture of him, it is undeniable that they are two different people.[note 3] The man has since been identified as Miguel Huerta.[35] This theory seemed to have gained traction due to a combination of the cross-race effectWikipedia's W.svg and many people being unaware of Awan's real appearance.
The claim that Awan is a suspect in Rich's murder is based entirely on this false picture of him. Therefore, this theory has no basis in fact.
Claim
Donna BrazileWikipedia's W.svg knows Seth Rich was murdered by the Clintons.[36]
Response
In her book, Brazile speculated that there could be other motivations behind Rich's killing, but never suggested the Clintons or DNC were involved.[36] Brazile wrote that she feared for her life, placed surveillance cameras in her home and closed the blinds in her office so she could not be seen by a sniper.[36][37][note 4] Brazile was concerned that Rich's death may have been linked to Russia ("with all I knew now about the Russians’ hacking, I could not help but wonder if they had played some part in his unsolved murder"), racial tension ("racial tensions were high that summer and I worried that he was murdered for being white on the wrong side of town") or "someone who had it out for the Democrats".[36][38] She has described the idea that Rich was murdered by the DNC for leaking to WikiLeaks as a "baseless conspiracy theory".[36][39]
Relating to WikiLeaks
Claim
Rich, not Russia, was responsible for the 2016 Democratic National Committee email leakWikipedia's W.svg.[40][41]
Response
There is no evidence for this and it is highly unlikely since Rich had never shown any prowess at hacking and was not good with computers.[10][42] Additionally, his parents have said that his low-level job did not grant him access to the kinds of emails that people are claiming.[10][43]
Claim
Both Julian Assange[44][45] and WikiLeaks[46][47] have indicated that Seth Rich was their source.[48] Why would WikiLeaks offer a reward for information on Rich's murderer if he was not their source?[49][50]
Response
It is true that Assange and WikiLeaks both hinted that Rich was their leaker.[note 5] However, this only proves that they want people to believe their source was Rich, whether or not it is actually true. This could be because he is the leaker or it could be in order to distract attention away from their actual source.[51]
If Rich had actually been the source, then the behaviour of Assange and WikiLeaks would make little sense.[52] How is Assange protecting the anonymity of his source by strongly hinting at his identity? What benefit is there in indirectly indicating, in such a transparent way, that Rich was the leaker?
However, assuming that Russia is the source, then their behaviour does make sense.[53] They would either create or perpetuate alternative theories in order to divert attention from their real source.[53] So logically they would use the Rich theory as a distraction from their actual source. This discredits the Russia investigation and downplays their links to Russia.
It has also been claimed that Assange is trustworthy since he has never been proven to be a liar,[54] but that is demonstrably false.[55][56]
Claim
There is evidence on Rich's laptop of communication with WikiLeaks.[57]
Response
The source of this claim was Rod Wheeler (and an anonymous federal investigator), during a Fox News report in May 2017.[58] According to Fox, an anonymous federal investigator claimed the FBI were in possession of emails between Rich and WikiLeaks.[58] However, a law enforcement official has reported that DC police examined Rich's laptop and found it "never contained any e-mails related to WikiLeaks and the FBI never had it."[58] FBI sources have said the bureau is not investigating the murder and Washington police never gave them Rich's laptop.[59][60]
In August 2017, Fox News was sued by Wheeler.[58] According to Wheeler, he believed he was giving viewers a preview of the Fox News story, and a Fox reporter had told him they had learned about the source connecting Rich with WikiLeaks.[10] Wheeler's lawsuit suggests the story was an attempt to discredit theories that Russia was responsible for the DNC leaks.[58][61] Wheeler has since admitted that he had never seen Rich's computer and never talked with the federal investigator.[62] Shortly after its initial broadcast, Fox News retracted the story for not meeting the "high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for our reporting."[58]
Claim
Kim DotcomWikipedia's W.svg said he knew Seth Rich and knew he was the WikiLeaks source since Dotcom was also involved.[63]
Response
So far, he has never presented any evidence verifying these claims, so they are simply baseless rumours.[24] Dotcom's credibility is also questionable since he first commented on Seth Rich publicly in May 2017,[64] 10 months after Rich was killed. If he really had information, why would he hold onto it for so long? He has also been accused of money laundering, racketeering and wire fraud by the US Department of Justice.[65] Dotcom currently resides in New Zealand and is fighting attempts to be extradited to the US.[66]
Further proving himself an unreliable source, Dotcom posted an obviously fake FBI document relating to Seth Rich that he later admitted was not authentic.[67][68]
Claim
Rich has a motive for leaking. He was a disgruntled Bernie Sanders supporter[69] who was disgusted by the corruption of the DNC.[70]
Response
The evidence suggests quite the opposite. Before his death, Rich was planning to move to Brooklyn in order to work for the Clinton campaign.[42][61] Besides, Rich had no access to the relevant emails so he would not have the opportunity to be outraged at any corruption that would supposedly motivate him. There would need to be evidence he was aware of any corruption, and such evidence has never materialised.
The idea he was a Sanders supporter is based on a Reddit account called "pandas4bernie"[note 6] that became inactive around the time he died.[42] However, the people behind "pandas4bernie" have denied Rich was connected to their Reddit.[42]
Claim
Brad Bauman, who is officially Seth Rich's family spokesman, is actually a DNC handler assigned to the Rich family.[71] Bauman is clearly trying to prevent the truth from getting out.[72][73]
Response
According to journalist David Weigel, the DNC had no role in hiring Bauman.[74] Seth Rich's family had asked some of his best friends who could help them with the media and they suggested Bauman.[24] Bauman has neither worked for the DNC or been paid by them.[24]
The source that the DNC assigned Bauman to the Rich family appears to be Ed ButowskyWikipedia's W.svg in an article on WND.[75] Butowsky claimed Rich's father said Bauman was assigned to them.[76][77] Not only is this just gossip, but Butowsky has demonstrated himself to be untrustworthy due to his involvement in a retracted Fox News story about Seth Rich.[78]
Bauman is certainly not trying to prevent the truth from getting out (quite the opposite). Bauman is simply, and unsurprisingly, fed up with the conspiracy theorists and has been quite scathing in his opinion of them:
Anyone who continues to push this fake news story after it was so thoroughly debunked is proving to the world they have a transparent political agenda or are a sociopath.[79]

Claim
In an audio recording, Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist Seymour HershWikipedia's W.svg claims there is an FBI report establishing that Seth Rich made contact with WikiLeaks.[80][note 7]
Response
The voice recording had been secretly recorded by Ed Butowsky during a phone call with Hersh.[81] According to Joe Lauria of Consortium News, Hersh confirmed it was his voice on the tape and has said he was recorded without permission.[82] The first thing to note, and what the conspiracy theorists often conveniently ignore, is that Hersh agreed that Rich was killed in a botched robbery.[83] It is indeed true that Hersh also said that Rich made contact with WikiLeaks.[83] The source for Hersh's comments was an unnamed FBI insider who Hersh described as a "very high level guy" who is "unbelievably accurate and careful."[83] Explaining his comments, Hersh said "I hear gossip" and suggested Butowsky "took two and two and made 45 out of it."[84][85]
The released audio is only a portion of a longer phone call and left out several important clarifications. Hersh has said that he told Butowsky that the FBI report might be incorrect or nonexistent.[81]
According to a complaint from Rod Wheeler, "Hersh cautioned Butowsky that the information was not necessarily true, and that, even if true, did not preclude the possibility that the Russians also hacked the DNC."[85][86] Wheeler's complaint also suggests Butowsky had planned to extort Hersh.[86][85][87] Hersh himself told reporter David FolkenflikWikipedia's W.svg that Butowsky tried to blackmail him.[88]
Hersh's statements have also been somewhat contradictory. For instance, Hersh told NPR that he did not talk to anyone at the FBI about this,[81] but also admitted he did hear about the FBI report but had not personally seen it.[53] Additionally, despite his recorded comments, Hersh has said he never claimed to have a source in the FBI on the Rich case.[85] This shows that he lied either during or after the secretly recorded phone call.
Finally, although Hersh has won a Pulitzer Prize, that does not make him infallible (e.g. Judith MillerWikipedia's W.svg[89]). In fact, Hersh had been recently lambasted for promoting discredited conspiracy theories concerning the April 2017 Khan Shaykhun chemical attackWikipedia's W.svg in Syria.[90][91][92][93][94][95] Hersh's source for his article about Syria had either purposely misled him or had been provided false information that they shared with Hersh.[90] This could very well be the case again with his theoretical FBI source regarding Seth Rich.
Hersh has also appeared on InfoWars where he was interviewed by conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.[96] Hersh said to Jones that "there's guys like you, and all sorts of other people around the world, that pay more attention than often the major papers here."[96] Further discrediting himself, Hersh has claimed that "there's no such thing as a chlorine bomb" and "chlorine is just a gas, it's not a chemical warfare weapon.Wikipedia's W.svg"[97][98][99]
Claim
If Rich is the leaker, the United States can no longer blame Russia, and any Russian investigation is unnecessary.[24][100]
Response
Even if Rich was responsible for one batch of leaks, Russia has been implicated in three separate hackings. There are Russian fingerprints on the DNC email leakWikipedia's W.svg, DCCC cyber attacksWikipedia's W.svg and Podesta emailsWikipedia's W.svg.[10][24]
The conspiracy theorists
“”The people pushing this conspiracy theory seem to be, exclusively, people acting either; on behalf of the Russian government, far-right wingers, people on the alt-right, Trump supporters, or people who just hate Hillary Clinton.
—David Pakman[101]
Fox News and "alternative" media
In a rare acknowledgment that it was wrong, Fox News issued a retraction on May 23rd 2017 regarding its conspiracy mongering.[102][103] Sean Hannity, one of the main agitators of this conspiracy theory at Fox, did not back down, stating "All you in the liberal media — I am not Fox.com or FoxNews.com. I retracted nothing."[103]

Breitbart.com, InfoWars, WND and Globalresearch have published several articles supporting the conspiracy theories.[75][104][105][106][107]

WikiLeaks
Julian Assange said on Dutch television:

Whistleblowers go to significant efforts to get us material, and often very significant risks, as a 27-year-old, works for the DNC, was shot in the back, murdered just a few weeks ago for unknown reasons as he was walking down the street in Washington.[108]

WikiLeaks has offered a cash reward of $20,000 for "information leading to conviction for the murder of DNC staffer Seth Rich."[109]

Russian government
Russian propaganda outlets RT[110][111] and SputnikWikipedia's W.svg[112][113] fed into the conspiracy theories.[114][104] RT aired a debate about Seth Rich's murder with three invited guests; Hank Sheinkopf, H.A. Goodman and Alex Christoforou.[115][note 8] Only Sheinkopf did not agree with the conspiracy theories.

In May 2017, the Russian embassy in London tweeted that Rich was the informant for WikiLeaks.[104][116][117]

According to Salon:

Spreading word of the theory has also proven attractive to Russian state-owned media outlets. According to Google as of this writing, Rich’s death has been mentioned on 148 pages from Sputnik News, a propaganda site modeled after BuzzFeed. RT, Sputnik’s television-oriented counterpart, has run 53 stories mentioning Rich.[118]

Clint WattsWikipedia's W.svg explained Russia's motivation:

There are several facets to this — [Russian agents] want to push back on the idea, particularly among Trump supporters, that they hacked into the DNC. The way to do that is to put forward this Seth Rich scenario that the information didn’t come form[sic] Russian hackers, it came from an [inside] leak.
It rallies Trump’s base, which they have already influenced significantly over the last two years in the U.S. and foments conspiracy theories. And it mirrors what Trump says. Trump denies the findings of the intelligence agencies that Russia did hack into the DNC. [Russian agents] want that to go away as much as possible.[104]
Jerky

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion