US Govt paid UK PR firm $500m to fabricate "Al Qaeda" videos

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

US Govt paid UK PR firm $500m to fabricate "Al Qaeda" videos

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:20 pm

US government spent over $500m on fake Al-Qaeda propaganda videos that tracked location of viewers

The Pentagon hired a UK-based PR firm to produce and disemminate videos during the Iraq War

Feliks Garcia New York @feliksjose
Thursday 6 October 2016 14:47

The Independent

A former contractor for a UK-based public relations firm says that the Pentagon paid more than half a billion dollars for the production and dissemination of fake Al-Qaeda videos that portrayed the insurgent group in a negative light.

The Bureau of Investigative Journalism reported that the PR firm, Bell Pottinger, worked alongside top US military officials at Camp Victory in Baghdad at the height of the Iraq War. The agency was tasked with crafting TV segments in the style of unbiased Arabic news reports, videos of Al-Qaeda bombings that appeared to be filmed by insurgents, and anti-insurgent commercials – and those who watched the videos could be tracked by US forces.

The report of Bell Pottinger’s involvement in the video hearkens back to more than 10 years ago, when the Washington-based PR firm Lincoln Group was revealed to have produced print news stories and placed them in Iraqi newspapers. According to the Los Angeles Times, who obtained the 2005 documents, the stories were intended to tout the US-led efforts in Iraq and denounce insurgent groups.

[...]

- continues here, with links, interviews:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 48371.html

Sourced by the Indy to the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, here:

http://labs.thebureauinvestigates.com/f ... lse-flags/
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: US Govt paid UK PR firm $500m to fabricate "Al Qaeda" vi

Postby Elvis » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:16 pm

Interesting. There are some OBL "confession"-containing videos which I'm sure are fake, and I'd love to know who made them.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby alloneword » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:27 am

Heh...

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2019/04/b ... arget.html

..There are three disguised people Baghdadi is talking to. The video is heavily edited and it appears that it was filmed in many takes. The visible walls are of drapery but do not seem to be the inside of a tent. The ground is flat. The light is artificial. The sound is solid but has no echos. This was probably filmed in a room of a larger house...

..Baghdadi looks well fed. The reports of him ailing and thin are obviously wrong. His face and hands and those of his guests show no signs of harsh weather or even sun exposure.

One wonders whose guest he is.
alloneword

Postby Harvey » Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 am

I remember waiting for someone to mention this not long after the story dropped. The board was consumed by other matters at the time. I wondered if BP was directly involved in fomenting the sectarian civil war in Iraq. Some context:

The Appalling Pottingers
6 Sep, 2017 in Uncategorized by craig | View Comments

One wealthy family through generations has been a pillar of the British establishment, and at the same time responsible for an astonishing amount of harm. Yet you have probably never heard of the Pottingers. Their history can almost make you believe in Grand Guginol stories that a capacity for evil can be genetically inherited. The Bell Pottinger scandal in South Africa, where the PR firm has been found to have deliberately exacerbated racial tension in collusion with corrupt billionaires, is only the latest episode. Here is a glimpse into the astonishing story of the Pottingers.

Purely by chance I have stumbled in three entirely different ways on the activities of the Pottingers in different generations, which is how I can tell this story, and nobody else can.

Sir Henry Pottinger 1789-1856 Protagonist of the Opium War – Tiberius Like Imperial Ruler Steeped in Sexual Exploitation

In researching Sikunder Burnes, I encountered Sir Henry Pottinger, pillar of the British establishment and Burnes’ boss, who features prominently throughout the book. As a very young man Henry undertook one of those heroic journeys in disguise that were a staple of Raj exploration, across the Baloch lands to Persia. But he developed into an extremely bellicose imperialist, craving the annexation of the territory of modern Pakistan. He also developed a pathological hatred of Burnes. This caused him to contradict Burnes’ advice to disembark Sir John Keane’s Bombay Army at Karachi in 1839, instead choosing a completely unsuitable beach. He also overruled Burnes’ personally reconnoitred supply line through the Thatta desert. Both decisions were wrong and based on intense jealousy of Burnes, and caused major delays and losses to the army.

Henry Pottinger found the outlet for his Imperial aggression in the Opium War, as breathtakingly immoral a war as any in the history of all Empire, in which Britain forced China to accept the flow of opium from the East India Company. After killing Chinese with brutal efficiency, Pottinger was responsible for the forced cession by lease of Hong Kong as a UK colony. He became the first Governor of Hong Kong.

The history books are coy on the circumstances which led to his tenure of Hong Kong being cut short, and this being beyond the scope of my Burnes book I did not get into manuscript research on it, but it involved a dispute with the British merchants and involved both Henry Pottinger’s personal money-making schemes and his relationship with “pretty Mrs Morgan.” Removed to South Africa as Governor of Cape Colony, the history books are more explicit about why he did not last long there. G M Theal’s History of South Africa recounts:

No other Governor of his colony ever lived in such open licentiousness as he. His amours would have been scandalous in a young man, in one approaching his sixtieth anniversary they were inexcusable… a cold, calculating, sneering, unsympathetic demeanour prevented men of virtue being attached to him.

Eldred Pottinger 1811-43 Imperial Fraud

Henry’s nephew Eldred became famous to Victorians as “The Hero of Herat”. It is a great story of the British Empire. On shooting leave, Eldred Pottinger was indulging in the favourite heroic occupation of exploring the North West Frontier of the Raj in disguise. He chanced to be in Herat when this Afghan city came under lengthy siege from a Russian-officered Persian army. The cowardly Afghan rulers would have been overwhelmed but fortunately the lone plucky Brit in the City organised the defences and held the Russian hordes at bay, preventing their marching on India. Famously, at one point when Persian troops had breached the defences, Pottinger drove the cowardly fleeing Wazir, Yar Mohammed Khan, back to fight with the flat of his sword.

Except it is all utter bullshit. Surviving manuscript letters of Alexander Burnes make plain Pottinger was in Herat on Burnes’ orders, and Burnes explicitly states that Eldred Pottinger’s presence in the city being “on leave” was a ruse because Britain was breaking its explicit treaty obligation to be neutral in a conflict between Afghanistan and Persia. Yet no British historian has ever published this until I published Sikunder Burnes – even Peter Hopkirk and William Dalrymple repeat the lie of Eldred being there accidentally.

Furthermore the idea that the Afghans were cowards inspired by a true Brit is total nonsense. Pottinger was by no means the only European involved in the city’s defence. The entire story of the “Hero of Herat”, including the bit about driving the Wazir to the breach with his sword, was concocted by the Raj’s great Victorian propagandist, Sir John Kaye. The only evidence for it was said to be in Pottinger’s own journals, which were “accidentally” destroyed in a fire in Kaye’s study. To be fair to Eldred Pottinger, Burnes (who knew the Wazir well and doubted the story) records that Eldred never spoke of his famous exploits, and became embarrassed when they were mentioned. Eldred Pottinger survived captivity in the First Afghan War but died during the Opium War, possibly by suicide.

Sir Frederick Pottinger 1831-65 – Australian Villain

Henry Pottinger’s son Frederick occupies a position in Australian folklore akin to the Sheriff of Nottingham in England, as the ruthless enforcer of harsh British rule and enemy of the Bushrangers. While the latter are unfairly romanticised, there is no doubt Fred was a nasty piece of work.

Eton educated, Frederick whored and gambled his way through much of the family estate, and although his father was a senior Imperial governor, Fred was cut off and sent to a lowly position in the New South Wales police. All of Henry’s ruthlessness in the Opium War was displayed by Fred in law enforcement in Australia. In March 1863 a young boy accused of being a gang lookout died in detention under Fred Pottinger and his notoriety spread. In 1865 Pottinger was dismissed for his violent conduct in pursuing fugitives, and died shortly thereafter in a gun accident, again possibly a suicide.

William George Pottinger 1906-98- Scotland’s Corrupt Civil Service Chief

The Pottingers continued right at the heart of the British political establishment, and I skip several generations – but assure you it is the same family – to come to William Pottinger. The most disgusting example of a modern corrupt civil servant imaginable, William was right up there in the monarchical pecking order, awarded by the Queen as a Companion of the Royal Victorian Order and Companion of the Order of the Bath. While Permanent Secretary at the Scottish Office, Pottinger corruptly handed the architect George Poulson a contract to design the Aviemore Centre. Poulson’s bribes to Pottinger included £20,000 cash, cars and Savile Row suits. William Pottinger was sentenced to seven years in jail, reduced to four on his flashing his royal awards and establishment connections. Oh sorry, I meant on appeal.

This was the second time I came into contact with the baleful Pottinger story, my own father having a relationship with Poulson and Pottinger through T Dan Smith, my father serving for years as a manager at the Aviemore Centre where I also worked throughout my teens.

After jail William published, under his middle name George Pottinger, execrable biographies of his ancestors Henry and Eldred Pottinger, which elide pretty well all I have told you here.

Piers Julian Dominic Pottinger 1954-present – Right Wing Propagandist

The son of the disgusting criminal William George Pottinger is Piers Pottinger, and I wish to make plain that I do not believe that psychotic behaviour can be inherited and that in no way is this blog intended to imply that Piers Pottinger, Chairman of MySquar Ltd registered in Tortola in the entirely respectable British Virgin Islands, is in any way connected with anything dodgy. Mr Pottinger is a highly accepted pillar of the British establishment just like all his ancestors.

Piers currently chairs the Asian wing of Bell Pottinger, which he co-founded with Tim Bell. They were famously propagandists for Thatcher and also Tory Party donors. Until the current massive corruption scandal in South Africa led to suspension of operations, Bell Pottinger had represented an entirely respectable slate of clients including:

Dictator President Augusto Pinochet of Chile
Dictator Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus
The vicious torturing monarchy of Bahrain
Oscar Pistorius
Kate & Gerry McCann
Rolf Harris
Trafigura
Coca Cola

I could go on.

This current manifestation of this “remarkable” family was the subject of my third personal stumbling on information. In about (from memory) 2006, Uzbek opposition leader Mohammed Solih visited Britain, after I had helped campaign to get him a visa. While here, one businessman took him to a meeting in a grand board room in the City of London. There an astonishing presentation was made to him, and an astonishing proposition put.

Solih could be made President of Uzbekistan in a year. Substantial money would be invested upfront to undermine President Karimov. Key named leaders in the Uzbek security services and defence forces would be bought up. The media narrative to the Uzbek public would be secured. Financial sector activity would isolate Karimov’s access to his money in the UK and Europe. A revolution could successfully be procured. In return, all Solih had to do was to sign contracts to deliver Uzbekistan’s oil, gas, gold and uranium to certain Western companies – special purpose vehicles which disguised who really would benefit.

Solih was astonished. “Just who are you?” he joked “are you MI6 or the Illuminati?”

No, came the reply, we are Bell Pottinger.

Solih of course refused to sell his country down the river. The story sounded amazing when he first told me, but in the light of what we now hear from South Africa it makes perfect sense.

The Pottingers. A key cog in the evil ways of the British establishment, down the centuries. Understanding the history of this family gives an essential glimpse into just how the British establishment really works.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/?s=bell+pottinger
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Harvey » Wed May 15, 2019 5:16 am

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2017-09-05/for-whom-the-bell-pottinger-tolls-1

Bell Pottinger "incited racial hatred" in South Africa

The controversial PR company Bell Pottinger has been expelled from the trade body which regulates the industry. Its investigation found that the company had launched a campaign which was "likely to inflame racial discord in South Africa" and that it had "brought the PR and communications industry into disrepute". Former Bell Pottinger boss Lord Bell told the BBC it was "almost certainly curtains" for the firm, which advises others on reputation management.

This is not the first time the PR company has been at the centre of such rows. It has twice been investigated by the Bureau. In 2016 we found they had been secetly paid $500 million by the Pentagon for extensive propaganda operations in Iraq. In 2011 the firm told us that they could use "dark arts" on the public and influence then Prime Minister David Cameron.

The current South African controversy has emerged from a tense campaign in which proponents of current President, Jacob Zuma who is accused of wholesale corruption, attacked the opposition as being agents of “white monopoly capital” and attempted to divide the country on racial lines. Bell Pottinger was employed by Oakbay Capital, a firm owned by the wealthy Gupta family in South Africa to help President Zuma’s campaign. The Public Relations and Communications Association (PRCA) report found that Bell Pottinger’s work had “incited racial hatred”.

Their report comes a day after another report by law firm Herbert Smith Freehills, commissioned by Bell Pottinger, which also found that some of the material they created was “potentially racially divisive… and was created in breach of relevant ethical principles". Chief Executive James Henderson resigned ahead of the publication of the reports.

The Bureau has also been investigating Bell Pottinger's activities in South Africa. Social media played a major role in pushing the message that President Zuma’s opponents were agents of “white monopoly capital”.

The Bureau has identified dozens of Twitter accounts that were used to amplify that message which was part of the campaign launched by Bell Pottinger and the Guptas. Our analysis indicates that these accounts are "bots" - fake accounts set up to resemble real Twitter users whose screen-names, cover pictures and biographical details they imitate.

Herbert Smith Freehills concluded that they had not seen evidence showing Bell Pottinger “used, or instructed others to use so-called Twitterbots” to promote the “white monopoly capital” campaign. However, such services are easily accessible and difficult to trace.

Social media firms around the world commonly offer networks of such accounts as a means of amplifying their clients' messages. Hundreds of retweets can be purchased for only a few dollars. Piecing the activities of such networks together is relatively straightforward. However, identifying who paid for them is more difficult.

In 2011 Bell Pottinger's willingness to represent dubious regimes was highlighted by a sting operation by the Bureau of Investigative Journalism. Undercover reporters posed as representatives of the repressive government of Uzbekistan seeking to improve the reputation of the country's cotton industry, which uses forced and child labour.

The PR agents talked openly about the work the firm had done with other regimes with questionable human rights records including Sri Lanka and Belarus and how they could navigate the corridors of power for clients.

Tim Collins, managing director of the company, along with other key figures, boasted on camera of their ability to use "dark arts" to influence public opinion and of their access to the then prime minister David Cameron and his advisers.

They also explained how the company could manipulate Google results to "drown out" negative coverage of human rights violations, and that MPs known to be critical of investigative programmes could be used to attack journalists over minor reporting errors.

Bell Pottinger also claimed it had a team dealing with negative Wikipedia coverage of clients. The Bureau later found evidence of this, including removal of a reference to the university drugs conviction of a businessman who was a client of Bell Pottinger and editing of material relating to the arrest of a man accused of commercial bribery.

In 2016 the Bureau revealed a secret $500 million propaganda operation run by Bell Pottinger in Iraq for the Pentagon after the invasion in 2003. It involved making videos which would look like they had been produced by local Iraqi TV stations to spin the news, and recutting insurgent videos with code to track anyone who watched them. When the Bureau revealed this Lord Bell told the Sunday Times that “it was a covert military operation” for the CIA, the Pentagon and the National Security Council and “we were very proud of it”.

Lord Bell left Bell Pottinger, the firm he founded, in August 2016 and he set up a new organisation. The current Bell Pottinger management told us last October that they no longer engaged in controversial activities like those used in Iraq.

Under Lord Bell the firm represented the last apartheid President of South Africa FW de Klerk when he stood against Nelson Mandela and the oil company Trafigura when it was accused of poisoning thousands of people and was convicted of exporting toxic waste to Africa. Bell Pottinger also represented News International executive Rebekah Brooks when the phone hacking scandal broke and South African athlete Oscar Pistorius, known as “the Blade Runner”, when he was accused of murder. Other clients included the wife of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and the former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Return to SLAD Newswire