Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:11 pm

i don't post or even lurk here much any more but I appreciate the stuff AD and SLAD have posted even when its mainstream crap. You can learn from that stuff too.

Joe Hillshoist » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:29 pm wrote:
cptmarginal » 21 Oct 2019 09:31 wrote:I don't always agree with American Dream either, even on the topic of Syria in particular - but I can pull up countless examples of great contributions by him that make it seem absurd to see such hostility and anger directed his way. And to rely on personal attacks and agent baiting really seems childish. Both to myself (someone who potentially disagrees strongly with AD on Syria) or to any outside observer. A self-defeating waste of time.

What an embarrassment, to purposely flout what we all know is a friendly rule here (no agent baiting) and thereby place some personal emotional burden on a moderator over issues that are very much impersonal and distant. I want MORE disagreement, not less; in my mind this is why the forum guidelines were created in the first place. So that we can continue debates without getting stuck on petty personal needs and hangups, as per the request of the owner:

AD's been on the outer here since the TIDS thread at least.

He posts stuff that makes people question their assumptions about their belief systems. Nobody likes that sort of thing.

I don't agree with everything he posts but in the interests of intellectual rigor he's certainly made me challenge some of my own assumptions and my brain is better for it.

i don't post or even lurk here much any more but I appreciate the stuff AD and SLAD have posted even when its mainstream crap. You can learn from that stuff too.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:15 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:44 pm wrote:
Telling, then, that Jerky and SLAD have not addressed that fact at all, using typical/cheap misdirection ploys instead.

Seems they've appropriated at least one of the filthy tricks employed by the propagandists they so egregiously promote here.

filthy tricks
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:16 pm

I stand by the above quote.

Belligerent Savant » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:07 pm wrote:.

seemslikeadream » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:06 pm wrote:yeah anyone that does not agree with you has to be silenced one way or another

You can't help but dish out facile mischaracterizations, eh?

Please cite a single instance where I suggested such a thing.

Cite a single instance or RETRACT it.
Last edited by Belligerent Savant on Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belligerent Savant

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Belligerent Savant » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:16 pm wrote:.

Belligerent Savant » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:07 pm wrote:.

seemslikeadream » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:06 pm wrote:yeah anyone that does not agree with you has to be silenced one way or another

You can't help but dish out facile mischaracterizations, eh?

Please cite a single instance where I suggested such a thing.

Cite a single instance or RETRACT it.

Belligerent Savant » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:15 pm wrote:.

You're either purposely flooding this board with propaganda/disinformation, or you are committing these acts -- despite repeated call-outs by members -- out of ignorance. A disruptive bad actor, in either case.

I can't know definitively which of the two is correct, but the end-result is the same.

Either way, it's been an absolute detriment to the board, and will continue to be an absolute detriment to the board despite your perpetual deflections and juvenile retorts.

Be sure to put me back on IGNORE after your next puerile response.

Belligerent Savant » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:28 pm wrote:
Belligerent Savant » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:54 pm wrote:.

You can re-paste (and misinterpret the spirit) of the 'rules' however many times you'd like (and to this point you've been utilizing this tactic repeatedly over the past ~2 weeks, bested only by your continued flooding/spamming of the board with State propaganda), it doesn't alter the fact of your utterly disruptive tactics (along with your cohorts AD and PearJerk) on this board for several years now.

You refuse to acknowledge this or address any of these claims directly, but this won't go away until a moderator enacts an executive decision.

This board will either serve as (yet another) co-opted forum for State propaganda, or it will return to some semblance of its former platform, where member discourse and discussion was encouraged and welcome.

Belligerent Savant » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:52 pm wrote:.

Unwitting dupes, or willing propagandists for the State, the 3 of you (the 2 dreams and the Jerk). Intentional or not, the outcome is the same: nonstop pro-imperialist propaganda/disinfo proliferated across this forum on a daily basis.

Shameless fools, at best.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:19 pm

I stand by those statements, and you still haven't addressed your mischaracterization.

You can continue in your hunt, however. I have already wasted enough of my time here trifling with you.

Enjoy.
Belligerent Savant

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:21 pm

so you don't like the other mod?

why would that be?

I have NEVER seen in 14 years here anyone disrespect any mod the way you and the crew do

half your time here you are complaining about other members....members that have every right to be here as you do ....there could be a problem when you have to spend so much time complaining and not so much time just posting what is important to you or maybe that is just what you are doing
sorry that you are so disappointed that AD got to return 3 months early I know it really upset you

why can't you just stop complaining and move on everyone but you four are just so very tired of it

you never had a bad word to say to peartreed in the whole time he has been here until he decided to speak up for me.

you want to make up new rules all the while you guys can not abide by the rules that have been in existence since day one......the same rules that have gotten this place through 14 years....now they need to be changed by who? You get to decide? When did you get the go fund me money to buy this place?

I bet there are 10 members here that would like a rule change or two but they keep it to themselves

for the life of me I can not figure where you think you have anymore right to decide what is posted here and what is not

all this and then your pal alloneword decides he is going to investigate me?

I am sorry you do not have the ability to share this place with members that have been here for over 10 years and NOW it is such a big problem for you Mac and Jack

everyone that is here has just as much right to be here as you do

there are just as many members here that have the opposite view that you do but they are not to be respected?

other members might not like you but they do not take up half their time complaining about you they get tired and just leave or they ignore you

here is FourthBase view on things

FourthBase » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:01 pm wrote:1. I'm amazed that I could take years-long breaks and still be that high on the list. This place is much smaller than I thought.

2. The benefit of SLAD archiving news stories in an age of paywalls and Mandela-ish "corrections" far outweighs the annoying, distracting, mind-numbing deluge of copypasta. Sometimes they're even useful, very useful, e.g. the Morley article.

3. Holy shit, though, that spike, over 30000, lmao. And the length...my god. How many average-sized book pages would that translate to? Like, 500 Infinite Jests?

4. Still, as long as you have a Page Down key or quick fingertips, it's tolerable. Takes 3-4 seconds to scroll past. Who cares.

5. Who cares if something is Islamophobic. Is it true? How is an anecdote that exposes how war propaganda gets manufactured Islamophobic, anyway? I don't get it.

Belligerent Savant » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:41 pm wrote:.

alloneword:

TLDR: 'Trump' is not the problem. 'Trump' is a symptom. If you fail to recognise this, you're not really helping anyone but the ruling elite.

x1,0000.

Which in turn, renders most of the Trump-related content here a stamp of approval for ruling elite machinations.

Belligerent Savant » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:27 pm wrote:.

Articles from the “echo-system” claimed the White Helmets were a “propaganda construct,” “crisis actors” who staged events, and “that they worked with or were themselves terrorists.”

That's because THEY ARE A FUCKING PROPAGANDA CONSTRUCT.

You can just keep peddling your BULLSHIT here, huh? Your mod "don't know shit about shit", so you're in the clear.

Tell your pal 82 to close out my account.

Belligerent Savant » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:41 am wrote:
coffin_dodger » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:31 am wrote:
This place is all yours to continue to SPAM and IGNORE.

BelSav - you know that RI gets ENORMOUS amounts of eyeballs on it, right? It's a place that once seen, becomes difficult to ignore. You know this. They know this. That's why the gradual 'creeping in' of mainstream ideology has been paramount since Wells left the building.

RI is a small, limited-theatre battleground for the minds of people that are most likely to see things differently. That's why it's being carpet-bombed with mainstream.

Please don't let your mind go unheard.

Appreciate that sentiment, c_d, though the 'eye' count can't be what it once was given the tactics employed here.

Belligerent Savant » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:10 am wrote:.

Absolute garbage. Shameless dissimenation of bullshit narratives that only serve to further occlude.

The 2 'Dreams' with similar M.O.s. -- SPAMMING the board perpetually to an increasingly dwindling audience.

This place is all yours to continue to SPAM and IGNORE.

The antithesis of a "discussion forum".

I got news for you NO ONE here is obligated to discuss ANYTHING with you

there is an ignore feature and anyone can use it at anytime

when you address this one personal insult maybe I will get back to you

Belligerent Savant » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:22 am wrote:.

Uh-huh. You do your thing. Keep up the charade.

Get back to work! Lots of copy/pasting to do, and the day's ticking away....

And there it is, the last missive from Jeff presented here yet again. You're quite the quick-draw with that, aren't you? If you keep pasting it, it surely must COME TRUE, right?

In any event, as you were. I'm wasting time here.

Belligerent Savant » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:16 am wrote:.

There you go, replying not with a typed response, but an immediate copy/paste of yet more Establishment Propaganda.

You'll paste a few more in short order, and in a relatively brief timeframe, the response i typed will be buried out of view, as you intend. Your M.O., repeated for years.

This is what you do. This is how you stifle discourse.

This is how you are a bad actor.

Continue pasting your Bullshit Propaganda. I won't be interfering in this thread further.

Curate away.

Belligerent Savant » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:06 am wrote:^^^^^^^^

Just plain dumb, pro-war pap.

Keep 'em coming, as you will, as if it'll make any difference at all.

Those establishment warhawk criminals you so deparately want to win will lose. The orange-hued version of criminality will persist because the true crimes being committed -- the crimes that can actually bring Trump down -- must be kept occluded from view, since ALL the bigger players are complicit in committing them as well.

Continue to promote the theatrics, however, for whatever reasons you are clearly compelled to do so.

Belligerent Savant » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:03 am wrote:.

What an absolute farce.

What charade is this?

Rhetorical, as I have no interest in the sure-to-be contrived response.

Out.

Belligerent Savant » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:10 pm wrote:.

"Friends". Dispense with the farce.

Or not. All yours, this place. You and AD can now proceed with using this forum as an echo chamber for State-sponsored/tainted propaganda. As you have.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Elvis » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:23 pm

you have three choices

leave
stay and ignore
stay and put up with it

Which is your choice?
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:03 am

See seemslikeadream's non-responses to criticisms of the notorious spook liar Luke Harding (citing Christopher Steele as an authority!) on pp. 34-35 of The Brexit Thread:

viewtopic.php?p=680890#p680890

She still keeps quoting this creep, at length. She is bombarding the board with spam by the tonload and now with deliberate, knowing disinfo.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:48 am

Belligerent Savant » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:48 am wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let it be known that when you claim, "NO ONE here is obligated to discuss ANYTHING with you", you are being dishonest: as demonstrated over the last 2 pages, you ARE actually "replying" directly to Mac, but NOT with your own typed words, or with a response addressing Mac's comment. Instead, you opt to reply (almost always within minutes) with YET MORE COPY/PASTED Material. Again, and again. NOT as a means to address Mac's counterpoint, but as a means to DROWN out his reply with more flooding/copy-pasted content. This is your standard operating procedure, for years.

THIS IS BAD ACTOR/DISHONEST BEHAVIOR.
Belligerent Savant

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:51 am

During the bush years I used to post at The Smirking Chimp. After so many years things of course have changed there also, 2 years ago Jeff posted this I thought I would repost it here. Whatever I post in the future it will reflect the 14 year old RI rules that have gotten us this far, only posted links that are not banned from RI, no personal attacks use the ignore feature and will keep in mind these suggestions

Please Read Our New Guidelines for Comments and Commenters

The Daily Chimp
by Jeff Tiedrich | April 21, 2017 - 9:09am

It's way past time to crack down on unruly commenters. We've had some complaints recently. A few bad actors are making the Chimp unpleasant for the rest of us, driving away readers and potential donors.

If you have stopped commenting at the Chimp because it's been too unpleasant, now's a good time to come back. Please. We need more good people to post quality comments.

Effective immediately:

1. Don't be a dick.

2. Don't be an asshole.

3. Be respectful. Not everyone shares your opinion. That does not make them your enemy.

4. Don't play content cop. It's not your to job to tell other people what they should or shouldn't be posting.

5. Don't be abusive. No personal attacks, no insults. Criticize the post, not the person.

6. Make your point and move on. We're all tired of comment threads that devolve to two people bickering at each other. Stop this. Stop it now.

7. Don't be a stalker. Your disagreement with someone ends on that thread. Don't drag your issues from one thread to another, and don't follow other commenters around to rehash old gripes on new threads.

8. Don't settle scores. If someone is unpleasant to you, let it go. Don't engage. We know how difficult it is to just walk away from an insult, BUT IT CAN BE DONE. Life is too short to waste time on nitwits. Don't double our work by causing us to have TWO people to discipline.

9. Don't try to finesse these rules. Please don't try to figure out some clever way to get around these rules. Make no attempt to see how close you can come to being a nitwit without crossing the line. We weren't born yesterday.

10. Don't try to engage us in nitpicking and clarifying. These are very simple rules. If you can't understand them, you're probably at the wrong web site anyway.

11. Stay on topic. Post comments germane to the article at hand. Don't cram your pet issue into every thread.

I will add to this list as new situations arise.

Thanks for taking us seriously here, because we are serious. Anyone who can't or won't abide by these rules will be banned.

See you 'round the comment threads.

-- Jeff T.
http://www.smirkingchimp.com/blog_tracker
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:54 am

You are shameless.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:55 am

My prior comment is NOT a 'personal attack'. I am calling out your demonstrable behavior. Not to be conflated.
Belligerent Savant

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:42 am

Question for moderators Elvis/JackR.

Was Mac permanently banned or on a time out and if on time out when is it over or is not over and Mac has not returned?

I miss Mac and his stirring the pot even though often I do not agree with him.

Don't like personal attacks though I hold some in my own mind never to be expressed.

Elvismiles and Cordelia are prominent in their recent absence (and that they post good stuff and don't overtly rumble).

Sorry for my chronic lack of content here. :oops:
PufPuf93

Postby Elvis » Thu May 14, 2020 5:30 pm

PufPuf93 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:42 pm wrote:Question for moderators Elvis/JackR.

Was Mac permanently banned or on a time out and if on time out when is it over or is not over and Mac has not returned?

Don't like personal attacks though I hold some in my own mind never to be expressed.

Elvismiles and Cordelia are prominent in their recent absence (and that they post good stuff and don't overtly rumble).

I miss Mac a lot, too. My view is, the first step to readmission would be for Mac to agree to follow moderator requests; to date, that hasn't happened (channels are open). Jack may have thoughts to share, but a time-consuming priority right now is preventing destruction of the board on the physical/technological level.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Cordelia » Tue May 26, 2020 1:12 pm

PufPuf93 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:42 am wrote:Question for moderators Elvis/JackR.

Thank you PufPuf. I also miss Mac.

Elvis » Thu May 14, 2020 4:30 pm wrote:
I miss Mac a lot, too. My view is, the first step to readmission would be for Mac to agree to follow moderator requests; to date, that hasn't happened (channels are open). Jack may have thoughts to share, but a time-consuming priority right now is preventing destruction of the board on the physical/technological level.

I was hoping Jack would respond but he hasn't. Earlier on (below) in another thread he wrote that Mac was banned, I assumed, permanently, but Elvis has indicated that's not necessarily so. Maybe there have been communications we're not privy to, but either way, I believe members deserve to know the status/outcome.

JackRiddler » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:41 pm wrote:
Mac is banned. I'll open a thread on RI and new management-moderation issues soon, it's overdue and that's my fault.

Edit to add:

If there is said "...new management-moderation" thread, can someone point me the way?
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion