25%
Several Years Ago
67%
Uncertain
8%

Total votes : 12

Didn’t Jack Palance Already Die?

Postby popocculture » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:14 am

I have discovered that a startling number of people seem to remember actor Jack Palance dying a number of years ago, and not this past week.

Anybody else remember this?

Been putting together more references and oddities related to this "phenomenon" over on my site:

http://www.timboucher.com/journal/2006/ ... ready-die/

Let me know if you have anything to add, as this is weirding me out.
Tim Boucher
Pop Occulture
http://www.timboucher.com/journal
popocculture

Blog: View Blog (0)

already dead

Postby jingofever » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:57 am

That was my first reaction. Digg discussion link. A couple of users there had the same idea.

And a Google search of 'Jack Palance "already dead"' yields quite a few relevant hits. People are suggesting a confusion between him and his City Slickers character.
jingofever

Postby popocculture » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:42 am

thanks! the other thing's i'm seeing correlated with this story and people's reactions on various forums I have been tracking on it:

- Talk about celebrities dying in threes and people geussing who's next
- Comparisons to that stupid Chuck Norris joke thing
Tim Boucher
Pop Occulture
popocculture

Next Stop Wonderland

Postby brownzeroed » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:30 am

I clearly remember him "dying" in the late-nineties. I even remember the Oscar Ceremony homage to him in those silly montages they put up as filler during the show. They replayed his one-handed push-up gag when he accepted the "Best Supporting Actor" Award. THAT'S F*ing strange!.
brownzeroed

Postby AlanStrangis » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:33 am

My girlfriend and I did a double take when we heard about him dying. I could have sworn it was years ago as well (1999-2001), and I usually remember these things quite well...

My girlfriend remembers that being about right as well

Like the article said "glitch in the Matrix?" :D
AlanStrangis

Postby xsicbastardx » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:14 am

Thats because it was an errouneous report, in fact, I think it was out about the time after City Slickers 2

But then again.....what did John Titor say about Timelines?

Edit...In fact....as I recall now, and after talking to a few people who lived in Durango, CO where the first one was filmed, the "Fake" Death report came out shortly AFTER the movie, and RIGHT before he won the Academy Award, that WAS the whole reason behind the One Arm Push Ups I believe
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

xsicbastardx

Tim

Postby MASONIC PLOT » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:06 pm

Hey Tim!

Good to see you.

Yes I do seem to recall he died a while back LOL. What is up with that?!
MASONIC PLOT

Dead or not

Postby yathrib » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:09 pm

I thought he was dead, but then I thought WIlfred Brimley was dead, and he's been resurrected and put to work doing those diabetes spots. Either way, the oatmeal didn't help much, did it?
yathrib

Postby popocculture » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:20 pm

xsicbastardx wrote:Thats because it was an errouneous report, in fact, I think it was out about the time after City Slickers 2

No, I'm talking about much more recently than that....
Tim Boucher
Pop Occulture
popocculture

Re: Didn’t Jack Palance Already Die?

Postby 82_28 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:28 am

Bill Cosby: I'm alive. Now, please cut it out

Bill Cosby is used to winking at internet rumors of his death. But after another one spread Monday, he said he hopes people will give the hoaxes a rest.

After false news of Cosby’s death spread by Twitter on Monday - "Bill Cosby died" was a trending topic on the microblogging service - the 73-year-old comedian talked to CNN's "Larry King Live" to prove he still is around.

"I don't want [whoever spread the rumor] to do this anymore, because this is my fourth time being reported [dead]," Cosby said by phone to CNN’s Kyra Phillips, who was sitting in for Larry King on Monday night.

Cosby used his wit to counter previous rumors. After the first, he borrowed a Mark Twain quote about reports of his death being an exaggeration.

But Cosby said Monday's rumor felt different. He said it left one of his friends in tears before he realized it wasn’t true.

"I don't know. Maybe a psychiatrist will say I'm feeding [the rumor starter's] ego, but I just want to say to friends of that person: Just tell him to stop, because it isn't funny."

On his own Twitter account, Cosby still went for a bit of humor Monday when refuting the rumor.

"Again, I'm rebuttaling rumors about my demise. But, I'm confirming I have an app," Cosby wrote before linking to an iPhone application featuring clips of the comedian's performances.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/02/bi ... ut/?hpt=C1
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Jeff » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:39 am

Best thread resurrection ever.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby 82_28 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:24 am

This one was easy though you see, Jeff. :)

Tim and I used to hang out every day way back when he was out here. It was I who was befuddled by the news of Palance's death and it became a topic for the night. Everywhere we went, we asked people if they had remembered Palance dying much earlier than the reports of it of the day. It captivated Tim. I said, "why don't you ask the RI board what they think too". So, I distinctly remembered this thread and was the first thing I flashed on when I saw this Cosby story.

"Always remember the Palance Effect" has been my mantra ever since that night we pondered it over weed and beer.

Thanks for the award though! :jumping:
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby norton ash » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Ha, you stopped me... when I saw the thread title today my impression was "I thought he died like four years ago" ...
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby barracuda » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:17 pm

Wait - who the fuck is Bill Crosby?

The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby justdrew » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:05 pm

barracuda wrote:Wait - who the fuck is Bill Crosby?

a jell-o salesman
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Next

Return to General Discussion