The NY Times’ Ostrich Act on JFK Assassination Getting Old

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby fruhmenschen » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:13 pm

see link for full story

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-ny-t ... ea2300004b
Russ Baker, WhoWhatWhy | Jul. 27, 2011, 4:00 PM | 298 | 5

Russ Baker is an award-winning investigative reporter.

Despite overwhelming contrary evidence, Oswald still labeled “leftist”

Nobody’s perfect. But it’s hard to think of anything as unworthy of a high-quality journalistic institution as the New York Times’ decades-long determination to never, ever, find any reason to question the original story spun by the Warren Commission on the JFK assassination. No matter how much new evidence has come out to the contrary.

It reminds a bit of the forever-blinkered character Sgt. Schultz on the old tv show Hogan’s Heroes (“I see NUUU-singg”—here’s a good clip, watch first minute of so…)

Ask any reporter, privately, what he or she thinks on this issue. Putting aside those who will demur on the basis of not having read widely on the topic (a surprisingly large number), you’ll find most believing that the “lone nut” or “Leftist loner” narratives about Oswald are utter junk. This would certainly apply in the New York Times newsroom.

And yet just the other day, there was this obituary. It’s about Warren Leslie, a Dallas reporter who wrote a book on right-wing animosity toward JFK in Dallas at the time of the assassination. Yet, skip down to paragraph 17, and you have this contradictory little morsel:

the lone suspect in the assassination, Lee Harvey Oswald, far from being a right-winger, was an ardent leftist with Communist sympathies.

It’s just neatly slipped in as if it’s an uncontested fact, like the day’s sports scores.

Why take this angle? I called and e-mailed the obituary writer, Times staffer Dennis Hevesi, to ask him, but did not hear back by the time this was posted. In any case, it’s unfair to single Hevesi out, since this has been a long-standing Times policy on the matter.

Indeed, the obituary was typical of The Times’ way of handling the subject—every so often, run a kind of “curiosity” piece about some reporter or character, but then subtly undercut their findings.

Take the paper’s coverage of former Washington Post reporter and author Jefferson Morley’s ongoing research on Oswald, which again points toward Oswald not being a “leftist sympathizer” or Communist agent at all. The Times article, generally sympathetic toward Morley, actually began with the following disclaimer, which essentially contradicted the article’s thrust:

“Is the Central Intelligence Agency covering up some dark secret about the assassination of John F. Kennedy? Probably not.”

We have to wonder if that opening nullifier was dictated from on high. After all, though Scott Shane, who wrote that piece, called Morley’s reporting “meticulous,” for some reason the article never provides the name of Morley’s book (“Our Man in Mexico”) nor provides a link to it, but quotes the main “no-conspiracy” author, and cites the name of his book instead.

There are literally hundreds of interesting, often excellent books on the JFK assassination. The vast majority of those written by serious researchers and scholars, and backed by extensive documentation and footnotes, come down on the side of Oswald having been recruited years earlier to do covert work for US government entities—with the “left-winger” story serving as constructed cover until his untimely demise.

I myself ran into the depth of the subterfuge and the institutional resistance to disturbing revelations while researching the Bush family’s past for my investigative history, Family of Secrets. I learned, for example, of George H.W. Bush’s secret intelligence connections, which preceded his CIA directorship by several decades. I learned that the elder Bush had a lifelong friendship with a Dallas-based Russian émigré (anti-communist) oil and intelligence operative named George de Mohrenschildt—who himself was of intense if passing interest to the Warren Commission. And I learned that de Mohrenschildt had essentially guided Oswald for a good part of the year before the assassination.

There’s paperwork on all this, even a letter on the topic of Oswald from de Mohrenschildt to Bush, with Bush’s reply. Plus connections between de Mohrenschildt and right-wing Dallas moguls of exactly the sort that the late Mr. Leslie wrote about more generally.

Nothing on this Oswald-de Mohrenschildt-Bush connection has ever been mentioned by The Times (save a one-sentence pooh-pooh in the paper by the late establishment historian Stephen Ambrose in 1992.) However, The Times did cover de Mohrenschildt’s suicide, shortly after his final correspondence with Bush and shortly before he was expected to testify before the new House Select Committee on Assassinations.

Speaking of which, The Times rarely reminds readers that the House committee itself concluded that Kennedy’s death was probably the result of an elaborate conspiracy (i.e., it was not a “loner” operation), but with no Soviet or Cuban government involvement.

How to explain this see-no-evil act? There are many reasons that news organizations will not tell the whole story, or fudge what could be revealed. Whatever is behind this shameful failure, reporters and editors know that the JFK assassination is just “too hot to handle,” that it is a kind of electrified third rail that can destroy a journalism career. But even well-founded fear—of being ridiculed, marginalized, demoted, or otherwise penalized—is no justification for this unrelenting pattern of behavior at an institution that promotes itself as a “paper of record.”

Anyone who calls him- or herself a journalist must be willing to take risks for the truth. After all, if the public can’t count on journalists to get it right on the big stories, why should they trust us on the rest? And if journalism can’t be trusted, democracy is on a slippery slope.
fruhmenschen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The NY Times’ Ostrich Act on JFK Assassination Getting O

Postby hanshan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:33 pm

fruhmenschen wrote:see link for full story

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-ny-t ... ea2300004b
Russ Baker, WhoWhatWhy | Jul. 27, 2011, 4:00 PM | 298 | 5

Russ Baker is an award-winning investigative reporter.

Despite overwhelming contrary evidence, Oswald still labeled “leftist”

Nobody’s perfect. But it’s hard to think of anything as unworthy of a high-quality journalistic institution as the New York Times’ decades-long determination to never, ever, find any reason to question the original story spun by the Warren Commission on the JFK assassination. No matter how much new evidence has come out to the contrary.

It reminds a bit of the forever-blinkered character Sgt. Schultz on the old tv show Hogan’s Heroes (“I see NUUU-singg”—here’s a good clip, watch first minute of so…)

Ask any reporter, privately, what he or she thinks on this issue. Putting aside those who will demur on the basis of not having read widely on the topic (a surprisingly large number), you’ll find most believing that the “lone nut” or “Leftist loner” narratives about Oswald are utter junk. This would certainly apply in the New York Times newsroom.

And yet just the other day, there was this obituary. It’s about Warren Leslie, a Dallas reporter who wrote a book on right-wing animosity toward JFK in Dallas at the time of the assassination. Yet, skip down to paragraph 17, and you have this contradictory little morsel:

the lone suspect in the assassination, Lee Harvey Oswald, far from being a right-winger, was an ardent leftist with Communist sympathies.

It’s just neatly slipped in as if it’s an uncontested fact, like the day’s sports scores.

Why take this angle? I called and e-mailed the obituary writer, Times staffer Dennis Hevesi, to ask him, but did not hear back by the time this was posted. In any case, it’s unfair to single Hevesi out, since this has been a long-standing Times policy on the matter.

Indeed, the obituary was typical of The Times’ way of handling the subject—every so often, run a kind of “curiosity” piece about some reporter or character, but then subtly undercut their findings.

Take the paper’s coverage of former Washington Post reporter and author Jefferson Morley’s ongoing research on Oswald, which again points toward Oswald not being a “leftist sympathizer” or Communist agent at all. The Times article, generally sympathetic toward Morley, actually began with the following disclaimer, which essentially contradicted the article’s thrust:

“Is the Central Intelligence Agency covering up some dark secret about the assassination of John F. Kennedy? Probably not.”

We have to wonder if that opening nullifier was dictated from on high. After all, though Scott Shane, who wrote that piece, called Morley’s reporting “meticulous,” for some reason the article never provides the name of Morley’s book (“Our Man in Mexico”) nor provides a link to it, but quotes the main “no-conspiracy” author, and cites the name of his book instead.

There are literally hundreds of interesting, often excellent books on the JFK assassination. The vast majority of those written by serious researchers and scholars, and backed by extensive documentation and footnotes, come down on the side of Oswald having been recruited years earlier to do covert work for US government entities—with the “left-winger” story serving as constructed cover until his untimely demise.

I myself ran into the depth of the subterfuge and the institutional resistance to disturbing revelations while researching the Bush family’s past for my investigative history, Family of Secrets. I learned, for example, of George H.W. Bush’s secret intelligence connections, which preceded his CIA directorship by several decades. I learned that the elder Bush had a lifelong friendship with a Dallas-based Russian émigré (anti-communist) oil and intelligence operative named George de Mohrenschildt—who himself was of intense if passing interest to the Warren Commission. And I learned that de Mohrenschildt had essentially guided Oswald for a good part of the year before the assassination.

There’s paperwork on all this, even a letter on the topic of Oswald from de Mohrenschildt to Bush, with Bush’s reply. Plus connections between de Mohrenschildt and right-wing Dallas moguls of exactly the sort that the late Mr. Leslie wrote about more generally.

Nothing on this Oswald-de Mohrenschildt-Bush connection has ever been mentioned by The Times (save a one-sentence pooh-pooh in the paper by the late establishment historian Stephen Ambrose in 1992.) However, The Times did cover de Mohrenschildt’s suicide, shortly after his final correspondence with Bush and shortly before he was expected to testify before the new House Select Committee on Assassinations.

Speaking of which, The Times rarely reminds readers that the House committee itself concluded that Kennedy’s death was probably the result of an elaborate conspiracy (i.e., it was not a “loner” operation), but with no Soviet or Cuban government involvement.

How to explain this see-no-evil act? There are many reasons that news organizations will not tell the whole story, or fudge what could be revealed. Whatever is behind this shameful failure, reporters and editors know that the JFK assassination is just “too hot to handle,” that it is a kind of electrified third rail that can destroy a journalism career. But even well-founded fear—of being ridiculed, marginalized, demoted, or otherwise penalizedis no justification for this unrelenting pattern of behavior at an institution that promotes itself as a “paper of record.”

Anyone who calls him- or herself a journalist must be willing to take risks for the truth. After all, if the public can’t count on journalists to get it right on the big stories, why should they trust us on the rest? And if journalism can’t be trusted, democracy is on a slippery slope.

Baker is probably a good guy. Don't know him. Why ask the obvious as if he didn't know? Democracy was disappeared down the rabbit hole, along w/ the Bill of Rights,
the Constitution, social justice, criminal justice, etc. w/ The Patriot Act & it's renewal under Obama. Free Press? Free speech. Take risks for the truth? What century/country is Baker referencing?

hanshan

Postby fruhmenschen » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:48 pm

The link for this story was sent to me by Ed Tatro who scripted and appears in the banned HISTORY CHANNEL documentary THE GUILTY MEN
see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgNfQYpS1gQ
fruhmenschen

Postby hanshan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:53 pm

fruhmenschen wrote:The link for this story was sent to me by Ed Tatro who scripted and appears in the banned HISTORY CHANNEL documentary THE GUILTY MEN
see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgNfQYpS1gQ

Saw the doc The Men Who Killed Kennedy before
it caused some too much grief.

tx for The Guilty Men link.
When out from under will watch

hanshan

Postby StarmanSkye » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:13 pm

This underhanded policy of surreptitiously sneak-sniping and sly, calculated, poison-pill discreditting the abundant evidence refuting the official view that LHO was a Marxist lone-nut shooter is inexplicable as anything BUT deliberate psyop duplicity c/o deflection. It goes to the heart of politicized propaganda via mass news-media being a routine practice by which to shape and direct public opinion. Here, almost 50 years after Kennedy was struck dead in a public assassination crime that has all the hallmarks of an elaborate military-staged murder-coup crime involving the highest level of government, security/CIA, law enforcement/FBi, Military/Pentagon and mass-media in the act or its meticulous cover-up. This crime goes to the heart of the massive treason, betrayal and fraud that precipitated the hijacking-subversion of America's liberal Representative-democratic Republic, and ALL of the corruption, intrigue, criminal racketeering, foreign adventures, invasions and wars, abuse of power, public treasury thefts, false-flag attacks, political chicanery and misfeasance that has occurred these past 4 1/2 decades since.

I can only imagine whoever makes this kind of policy considered the potential red-flag effect but decided the benefits in reaffirming stubborn lone-nut opinions and innoculating a new generation against lone nut skepticism was worth the unintended signal sent that the NY Times was STILL being used as a covert propaganda means because LHO obviously didn't act alone, or even at all. Those who know that aren't going to change their opinion because of oddly suspicious, stray misleading sentences the NY Times dropped.
StarmanSkye

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: NYTimes and JFK. Of course. NYTimes is CIA-controlled.

My cautionary on Russ Baker I've posted in earlier threads about him-

He is using some JFK Truth as his cred prop to infiltrate the internet left and serve as a gatekeeper plus use up bandwith with his website.
The public has been hip to JFK Truth for many decades now so there's no big loss to social control there.

Baker won't touch 9/11 or CIA media, just like other gatekeepers. He panicked when Bonnie Faulkner brought up Obama's CIA grooming on her 'Guns and Butter' show. It was very telling to hear him desperately change the subject to slobbering all over her wonderful on-air presence with flattery that caught her by surprise and derailed the show briefly.

Watch him gain traction online with cred prop articles like this one so he can
displace more 'subversive' investigators like Barry Zwick, David Ray Griffin, Alex Constantine, Webster Tarpley, etc.

Many noticed that Thom CIA Hartmann was slinging coarsel CIA disinfo in his two books about JFK and MLK and so Baker is avoiding that by
slinging finely-ground disinfo through stealing other people's work that is decades old, hyping himself as a groundbreaker, and making unsupportable conclusions about GHWBush's role in events as exposed in a review of Baker's book by real assassination expert, Jim DiEugenio.

Jim DiEugenio guts Baker's book to reveal an agenda...thusly-
http://www.ctka.net/reviews/family_secrets.html

If the rest of Family of Secrets was as sound as this section, the book would have been a good and valuable effort. In my view, such is not the case. In fact, it's not even close. And the bad part is that the rest of the book really means upwards of 90% of it.
Finally, let me add one last word about why the use of t[Trento's] book seems suspect to me. The general message of Trento's tome is that the use of private intelligence networks, set up by people like Ted Shackley, has led to our present problems in places like Afghanistan. (ibid, pgs. 316-17). The book blames some of this on George Bush Sr. because of his well-known ties to the Saudi Arabian monarchy. It is also highly critical of this network's Saudi ties to Pakistan and the death of President Zia. In fact, it blames the Saudis inability to keep control of Pakistan's atomic weapons quest as the reason why the quest became Islamicized, that is, anti-Israel in intent. Who is a major source for Trento's view of Bush and the Saudis in all this: Angleton's scribe Edward Epstein. (See p. 324) I should note that one of Angleton's later responsibilities in the CIA was supervising the Israeli desk and interfacing with Mossad.

Baker writes not a word of caution, qualification, or warning about any of the above. That's how much he wants to make Bush Sr. a longtime CIA operator. And the drive does not stop there. Not by any means.
The rest of this overlong JFK section is, for me, even worse than the above. It basically amounts to what I scored Lamar Waldron and Thom Hartmann for in their two bad books: guilt by name association.
Concerning J. Edgar Hoover and the JFK case, Baker is only slightly less silly than John Hankey.
The above two sections are pretty much the sum total of Baker's work on Bush Sr. and the JFK murder. If anyone can find anything of significance here, something that somehow changes how we look at the case, please let me know. In all honesty, I can't.

V

As threadbare as Baker's work is on the JFK case, his two chapters on Bush Sr. and Watergate are probably worse (pgs. 175-252). In fact, having read much on the contemporary political scandals that have rocked the American scene, I would rank Baker's work on Watergate with some of the most pretentiously empty political reporting I can recall. It's so bad that it made me think he had a desperate rationale behind it all. (Which I will discuss later.)
I almost don't want to go on. But I should mention that what Baker does with the JFK and Watergate episodes is symptomatic of the rest of the book. He wants to somehow implicate the Bushes in crimes for which there is next to no evidence, while not reporting on the ones for which there is plenty of evidence.

etc. :coolshades
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

CTKA: Why the New York Times Deserves to Die

Postby MinM » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:11 pm

Hugh Manatee Wins wrote:Re: NYTimes and JFK. Of course. NYTimes is CIA-controlled.

He is using some JFK Truth as his cred prop to infiltrate the internet left and serve as a gatekeeper plus use up bandwith with his website...

Many noticed that Thom CIA Hartmann was slinging coarsel CIA disinfo in his two books about JFK and MLK and so Baker is avoiding that by slinging finely-ground disinfo through stealing other people's work that is decades old, hyping himself as a groundbreaker, and making unsupportable conclusions about GHWBush's role in events as exposed in a review of Baker's book by real assassination expert, Jim DiEugenio.

Speaking of usurping the works of others. This topic was taken on by Jim DiEugenio just recently and Jerry Policoff before him...
Why the New York Times Deserves to Die

...Jerry Policoff wrote his first essay critiquing the NY Times on the JFK case back in 1971. (James DiEugenio, Destiny Betrayed, p. 379) At the time, it had no effect. And in the following nearly four decades, the increasing barrage of criticism also went unheeded. And the worst aspect of this controversy is this: Those organizations do not seem to understand how their obstinacy led to 1.) The increasing public cynicism about both politics and the media, and 2.) The rise of alternative forms of media, especially on the Internet. That's arrogance for you.

The Times' latest outburst of arrogance forms the basis for this column. On April 14th, the New York Times published an essay, properly labeled an opinion piece, co-authored by Mark Medish and Joel McLeary. The title of the essay was Assassination Season is Open. The authors begin the piece by saying that "state-sponsored assassinations are back in season". They then marked this trend by referring to "targeted snuff jobs" from "Dubai to Dagestan, from Yemen to Wazirstan". As if somehow this had been dominating the news and American consciousness lately. Well no one has approached me lately and said, "Jim, what did you think about that political hit in Dagestan last month?" If they did, my reply would have been, "Where is Dagestan?"...

As I wrote in Part 8 of my review of Reclaiming History, the concept of "regime change" and the consequent murders that accompany it originated with the changes brought to the CIA by Allen Dulles. Which was seven years before John Kennedy even ran for president. But since the MSM had always been close with the CIA, and since Allen Dulles had actually started Operation Mockingbird-the attempt by the CIA to control the media-they were not going to readily admit this. Even if it was true. So during the 1974-75 investigations by the Church and Pike committees – when the crimes of the CIA and FBI were first given heavy exposure – these CIA murder plots were heavily publicized. And the CIA took a public flogging over it. Especially since, in their own Inspector General report, they admitted that they had no presidential approval for the plots to kill Fidel Castro, and that they deliberately kept them from the Kennedys. (The Assassinations, pgs 327-28) So when the NY Times says that Kennedy's 'executive action" policy targeted Fidel Castro in Cuba, this is ass backwards. And the CIA admitted it in their own report. And it is a primary document in this discussion. A primary document, which somehow, these two reporters failed to consult.

In fact, the Church Committee clearly demarcated the beginnings of these assassination plots against foreign leaders as beginning with Allen Dulles and President Eisenhower. And they blamed the eventual plot that took the life of Patrice Lumumba as being OK'd for Dulles by Eisenhower. (ibid, p. 326) Which again shows how stupid the Times is. Because, incredibly, the Times article also blames the murder of Lumumba on the Kennedys! This is so wrong as to be Orwellian. (Or, even worse, Chomskyian, since Noam Chomsky blames this one on Kennedy also.) The truth is the opposite. As more than one author has insinuated, Allen Dulles speeded up the plot against Lumumba in the interim between Eisenhower's departure and Kennedy's inauguration because he knew that Kennedy would never approve it. (John M. Blum, Years of Discord, p. 23; Jonathan Kwitny, Endless Enemies, p. 69) Therefore, Lumumba died on January 17, 1961, three days before Kennedy took office. Dulles turned out to be right. Because right after entering office, but before learning of Lumumba's death, Kennedy formulated a new policy for Lumumba's Congo. One that pretty much was a reversal of Eisenhower's. A part of this new policy was to free all political prisoners-including Lumumba. Lumumba was being held by an enemy tribe at the behest of the former mother country Belgium, which was in league with the CIA. If he had been freed, he would not have been killed. Dulles obviously knew Kennedy better than the New York Times does. Which, by the way, was opposed to Kennedy's Congo policy at the time. For another part of his plan was to oppose the breaking away of the mineral rich Katanga province from Congo. The Times supported that breakaway. Which would have helped Belgium and American investors but hurt the Congo. (Kwitny, p. 55)...

http://www.ctka.net/2010/nyt.html

BTW both Policoff and DiEugenio were on Black Op Radio last night:

http://www.blackopradio.com/pod/black537a.mp3

http://www.blackopradio.com/pod/black537b.mp3
Earth-704509
MinM

Re: CTKA: Why the New York Times Deserves to Die

Postby hanshan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:05 am

MinM wrote:
Hugh Manatee Wins wrote:Re: NYTimes and JFK. Of course. NYTimes is CIA-controlled.

He is using some JFK Truth as his cred prop to infiltrate the internet left and serve as a gatekeeper plus use up bandwith with his website...

Many noticed that Thom CIA Hartmann was slinging coarsel CIA disinfo in his two books about JFK and MLK and so Baker is avoiding that by slinging finely-ground disinfo through stealing other people's work that is decades old, hyping himself as a groundbreaker, and making unsupportable conclusions about GHWBush's role in events as exposed in a review of Baker's book by real assassination expert, Jim DiEugenio.

Speaking of usurping the works of others. This topic was taken on by Jim DiEugenio just recently and Jerry Policoff before him...
Why the New York Times Deserves to Die

...Jerry Policoff wrote his first essay critiquing the NY Times on the JFK case back in 1971. (James DiEugenio, Destiny Betrayed, p. 379) At the time, it had no effect. And in the following nearly four decades, the increasing barrage of criticism also went unheeded. And the worst aspect of this controversy is this: Those organizations do not seem to understand how their obstinacy led to 1.) The increasing public cynicism about both politics and the media, and 2.) The rise of alternative forms of media, especially on the Internet. That's arrogance for you.

The Times' latest outburst of arrogance forms the basis for this column. On April 14th, the New York Times published an essay, properly labeled an opinion piece, co-authored by Mark Medish and Joel McLeary. The title of the essay was Assassination Season is Open. The authors begin the piece by saying that "state-sponsored assassinations are back in season". They then marked this trend by referring to "targeted snuff jobs" from "Dubai to Dagestan, from Yemen to Wazirstan". As if somehow this had been dominating the news and American consciousness lately. Well no one has approached me lately and said, "Jim, what did you think about that political hit in Dagestan last month?" If they did, my reply would have been, "Where is Dagestan?"...

As I wrote in Part 8 of my review of Reclaiming History, the concept of "regime change" and the consequent murders that accompany it originated with the changes brought to the CIA by Allen Dulles. Which was seven years before John Kennedy even ran for president. But since the MSM had always been close with the CIA, and since Allen Dulles had actually started Operation Mockingbird-the attempt by the CIA to control the media-they were not going to readily admit this. Even if it was true. So during the 1974-75 investigations by the Church and Pike committees – when the crimes of the CIA and FBI were first given heavy exposure – these CIA murder plots were heavily publicized. And the CIA took a public flogging over it. Especially since, in their own Inspector General report, they admitted that they had no presidential approval for the plots to kill Fidel Castro, and that they deliberately kept them from the Kennedys. (The Assassinations, pgs 327-28) So when the NY Times says that Kennedy's 'executive action" policy targeted Fidel Castro in Cuba, this is ass backwards. And the CIA admitted it in their own report. And it is a primary document in this discussion. A primary document, which somehow, these two reporters failed to consult.

In fact, the Church Committee clearly demarcated the beginnings of these assassination plots against foreign leaders as beginning with Allen Dulles and President Eisenhower. And they blamed the eventual plot that took the life of Patrice Lumumba as being OK'd for Dulles by Eisenhower. (ibid, p. 326) Which again shows how stupid the Times is. Because, incredibly, the Times article also blames the murder of Lumumba on the Kennedys! This is so wrong as to be Orwellian. (Or, even worse, Chomskyian, since Noam Chomsky blames this one on Kennedy also.) The truth is the opposite. As more than one author has insinuated, Allen Dulles speeded up the plot against Lumumba in the interim between Eisenhower's departure and Kennedy's inauguration because he knew that Kennedy would never approve it. (John M. Blum, Years of Discord, p. 23; Jonathan Kwitny, Endless Enemies, p. 69) Therefore, Lumumba died on January 17, 1961, three days before Kennedy took office. Dulles turned out to be right. Because right after entering office, but before learning of Lumumba's death, Kennedy formulated a new policy for Lumumba's Congo. One that pretty much was a reversal of Eisenhower's. A part of this new policy was to free all political prisoners-including Lumumba. Lumumba was being held by an enemy tribe at the behest of the former mother country Belgium, which was in league with the CIA. If he had been freed, he would not have been killed. Dulles obviously knew Kennedy better than the New York Times does. Which, by the way, was opposed to Kennedy's Congo policy at the time. For another part of his plan was to oppose the breaking away of the mineral rich Katanga province from Congo. The Times supported that breakaway. Which would have helped Belgium and American investors but hurt the Congo. (Kwitny, p. 55)...

http://www.ctka.net/2010/nyt.html

BTW both Policoff and DiEugenio were on Black Op Radio last night:

http://www.blackopradio.com/pod/black537a.mp3

http://www.blackopradio.com/pod/black537b.mp3

cool, tx

hanshan

Postby Simulist » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:27 pm

The New York Times still presents this nation as a credible democracy, for God's sake! — it's a fucking oligarchy. The NYT is all-but-useless on matters pertaining to the realities of our nation's governance.

(And anyone who hasn't accepted that this is an oligarchy by now is either woefully information-deprived or an outright idiot.)
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Return to General Discussion