PROMETHEUS

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: PROMETHEUS

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:08 am

RI appears to be dying, but nobody's allowed to say it's being killed. That would be paranoia.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Burnt Hill » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:15 am

It appears to me that anyone can say what ever they want to a point where the rules come in.
Oh and its 8 pages now, and you're off topic.
Start your own thread about the concerns you have.
Burnt Hill

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:18 am

Burnt Hill, you are an arse and a half.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Burnt Hill » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:26 am

oh and thanks justdrew...

saved us from Zeus's wrath, which would have had us the 6th version of humans wiped out by him)...

4th version according to the Mayans.

Obviously we are still a work in progress.

Also, Joe Hillshoist brought the demiurge earlier, I think I expanded on it a bit.
Burnt Hill

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:41 am

Well, why not agree to disagree? I've done it a billion times here and if this "motherfucker" can do it, then so can you! Holla. I still think some people hate me here, but who the fuck cares? The friends I've made here have made it more than worth it and I've made up with others. I know what I'm about and I know what RI is about. I follow the rules, but sorta push them as well. But, hey, why not make amends while you can?

I guess, let's try and keep this place alive, eh? $.02
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Burnt Hill » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:04 am

No worries 82-28. Thanks for being a peacekeeper.
Just words on paper right? -well, on a screen. :sun:
Burnt Hill

Postby brekin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:26 am

I think Prometheus is worth studying for a few reasons.
First it is a holllywood blockbuster film that will be seen by millions
and was anticipated by many for a long time. People wanted it to fulfill
something they were lacking. Hollywood is the dream/myth factory for people
on this planet and a film can influence and continue to influence people in a myriad
of subtle ways for a long time. If you study the lives of many revolutionaries in every
realm of human endeavor you see how much certain literature/drama/music influenced
their developing worldview, which they then turned around and made the reality that
we carry around in our heads now for the most part without question.

The budget alone was around $120-130 million. Like it or not this is one of the
major works of art of civilization so far. Maybe we don't want to thinks so critically, or spiritually,
or even aesthetically, but the fact is this film, like the new crap star wars films, will influence
the worldview of the human race for a period of time. Film is a shared dream and the very least
the youth who see this film will be influenced in some way.

Also I think because this is a mainstream popular horror film, and horror is basically an inversion of the sacred,
its a good insight into what may resonate (or not) with mass numbers of people and what they hold to be
profane or not. Honestly I think it is telling that the original film I would, with many, classify as Horror/Sci Fi while
the new one I would classify as Thriller/Sci Fi. I don't think the original is more scary (it is done a bit better, sure)
or more gory, I just think there has been a cultural shift to where the darkness in the original is more
everyday.

Of course it is "just a film". But if you think of the religious/political/scientific tracts that are "just books"
which have more plot and logic holes then swiss cheese and have had, and continue to have, an immense influence
over people's consciousness then I think it bears to pay attention to popular entertainment. These films
leave the screen and live somewhere. I'd just as soon innocently stick my face up against a charming cobra/vagina alien
then underestimate the memes that the latest blockbuster is mixing and matching.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:36 am

MacCruiskeen wrote:Burnt Hill, you are an arse and a half.

Official warning:

Post on topic, or don't post.

And one more attack will get you suspended.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Burnt Hill » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:48 pm

brekin, I loved your last post.

We've taken it this far back-

Babylonian Creation Myth

The Enuma Elish
-is the earliest written creation myth, in which the God Marduk battles the chaos Goddess Tiamat and her evil minions. The name 'Enuma Elish' is derived from the first two words of the myth, meaning 'When in the Height'. Tiamat takes the form of a gigantic snake, and Marduk battles and defeats her using an arsenal of super-weapons. After his victory Marduk is made the leader of the Gods by acclamation. Marduk divides Tiamat's corpse into two portions, the upper half becoming the sky and the lower half, the earth. Marduk then creates humanity from his blood and bone.

The Enuma Elish has long been considered by scholars to be primary source material for the book of Genesis. It has also been hypothesized that this is a legend about the overthrow of the matriarchy or records of some cosmic catastrophe.

From-The Seven Tablets of Creation
by Leonard William King
[1902]
http://www.sacred-texts.com/ane/stc/index.htm

We need to go a bit further though.
Last edited by Burnt Hill on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burnt Hill

Postby Burnt Hill » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:54 pm

The First Tablet

1. When in the height heaven was not named,

2. And the earth beneath did not yet bear a name,

3. And the primeval Apsû, who begat them,

4. And chaos, Tiamat, the mother of them both,—

5. Their waters were mingled together,

6. And no field was formed, no marsh was to be seen;

7. When of the gods none had been called into being,

8. And none bore a name, and no destinies [were ordained];

9. Then were created the gods in the midst of [heaven],

Continues at http://www.sacred-texts.com/ane/stc/stc04.htm
Its an interesting read.
Burnt Hill

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:31 pm

Bruce Dazzling wrote:
MacCruiskeen wrote:Burnt Hill, you are an arse and a half.

Official warning:

Post on topic, or don't post.

And one more attack will get you suspended.

I apologise for having called Burnt Hill an arse and a half. Burnt Hill is not an arse and a half. Who could doubt it? Clearly I was exaggerating, by at least 33.333 percent. Mea culpa.

But he says amazing things. I always knew the Greeks were good at food, but Burnt Hill says they actually wrote plays and books and stuff! And i'm like WTF???
This makes Prometheus (sorry: PROMETHEUS) worth watching, obviously.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Burnt Hill » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:46 am

I know I was bored to sleep when this stuff 'Origins of mankind' and Greek mythology was first presented to me in the 5th grade.(too soon)
I didnt learn a thing.
So this is all new to me.

Now I am increasingly interested, as mankind itself is beginning to create or alter life.

The movie PROMETHEUS spurred that interest. Thats all. And I havent even seen the movie, yet?..,

If the thread is unworthy than the Gods will lock or it will sink.

If I continue to contribute to this thread it is in good faith and with the intent to learn, and share.
Burnt Hill

Postby norton ash » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:11 pm

I think it's thoroughly worthwhile to discuss a shite Hollywood movie in terms of the zeitgeist, and Prometheus is particularly interesting in terms of Ridley Scott, the big budget and art direction, and its creation-of-an-awful-world aspect in the context of our awful fucking world. This summer, the message is that we're at the mercy of monsters and it was all set up that way, I guess.

Haven't seen it, I can't stand the local multiplex. It looks way too much like an abattoir for teenagers, and as something of an agoraphobiac, I have to really steel myself to go there.
Zen horse
norton ash

For Mac.

Postby Burnt Hill » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Mac, I dont dislike you at all, I hardly know you, and I have appreciated a lot of what you've written here.

You made a strong statement that I thought might have made a good point.

This board is smart and I have skirted on the edges (a lot), and I know I have occassionally stirred the pot, but my intent is good.

I was not "calling you out". I was considering your pov. And crediting you with your statement.
It was off topic here, as this is.

I bear you no ill will, and I apologize for offending you.

I hope we can converse, debate, and discuss, but I dont want to fight with you.

I wish you, and everyone else here, the best their worlds have to offer.
Burnt Hill

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Well, OK, Burnt Hill. That's civilised. Point taken.

I will get back to you, either by PM or on this thread. But later or tomorrow, because Germany are just about to play Denmark. (Besides food and books, the Greeks are also surprisingly good at football.)

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion