Can we Escape from the Amazon-Military-Gov-Cloud-Complex?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Can We Escape the Empire-Complex?

"Yes We Can!" Haven't you been happy ever since Obama was elected?
No votes
"Hell No! Resistance is Futile! You WILL Be Assimilated." Where have you been the past couple of decades?
54%
"Huh? What Empire?" I don't understand the question...
No votes
"Here's a Poll Question For Ya" ... Why Are You Wasting My Time With This Stupid Poll?
No votes
"Other" ... Explain
46%

Total votes : 13

Can we Escape from the Amazon-Military-Gov-Cloud-Complex?

Postby elfismiles » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Practically every aspect of our lives supports THE COMPLEX:

The Complex: How the Military Invades Our Everyday Lives

Antiwar Radio - NickTurse - 9/13/2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nstWROXCTrk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU70lvdcatk

Antiwar Radio - Nick Turse - 10/25/2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f93grnEbkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCRtPdLUjvI

Nick Turse « Antiwar Radio with Scott Horton
http://antiwar.com/radio/2011/01/13/nick-turse-6/ - Jan 13, 2011
Nick Turse, author of The Complex: How the Military Invades Our Everyday Lives

Introducing the Military-Robotics Complex -- News from Antiwar.com
http://news.antiwar.com/2011/08/24/intr ... s-complex/

Back to the Future With the Complex? - by Nick Turse
http://antiwar.com/engelhardt/?articleid=13910 - Dec 16, 2008

The Real-Life Matrix | Mother Jones
http://motherjones.com/politics/2008/04 ... ife-matrix - Apr 1, 2008 – At the beginning of Nick Turse's The Complex, we meet "Rick," an educated, antiwar, Daily Show-watching resident of the New York City ...

I believe Nick Turse is on AntiWar-Radio today.

With each passing day it becomes harder and harder to avoid supporting the beast or to not brush up against its tentacles...

Fake Online Persona's Managed by Cyber Command
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32923

Amazon Cloud Controls Govt and Personal Data and Bans WikiLeaks
viewtopic.php?p=422271#p422271

Our Tax Dollars Support the Murder of Millions
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29936

There is No Viable Candidate to Get us Out of This Mess
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23965
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13022

:scaredhide:

We desperately need an app to help us NOT support fascist empire
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31637

... except of course by using apps on slave-made-mobiles we are continuing to support THE COMPLEX.

elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: Can we Escape from the Amazon-Military-Gov-Cloud-Complex

Postby Nordic » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Amazon?
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Whoa! Glad I checked this...wasn't interested in the poll but that's an overdose of great links.

Nordic wrote:Amazon?

Source: http://www.informationweek.com/news/gov ... /231500093

Amazon Launches Cloud Services For Government

AWS GovCloud will meet a host of strict regulatory requirements specific to government and include services such as Elastic Compute Cloud, Simple Storage Service, Elastic Block Store, and Amazon Virtual Private Cloud.

Amazon on Tuesday announced the release of cloud services aimed specifically at U.S. government users and contractors, joining a growing list of cloud service providers including Microsoft and Google that also have modified their cloud services to meet the unique needs of government.

According to Amazon, the new offering, Amazon Web Services GovCloud, will meet a host of strict regulatory requirements specific to government. It's designed to meet moderate security control levels under the Federal Information Security Management Act and to meet FIPS 140-2, a federal cryptography standard.

In addition, Amazon says that GovCloud supports processing and storage of export-controlled, often defense-related, data and applications governed by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), as it limits both logical and physical access to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. The servers powering Amazon Web Services GovCloud will be physically located on the West Coast of the United States, giving customers further assurance that their data will stay in this country.

Clouds like Amazon's GovCloud that meet government requirements will likely increase government adoption. "As we move workloads into the cloud, we look forward to leveraging ITAR-compliant clouds such as the new AWS GovCloud for our compliance-dependent projects so we can continue to look to the cloud first for even more missions," NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory CTO Tomas Soderstrom said in a statement.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:53 am

Why would anyone use a Cloud service for anything important???????

It's like buying gold and then not taking physical possession of it.

Crazy!
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:16 pm

^^Personally, I take it as a tacit acknowledgement that the entire edifice of public "Federal Government" is not important at all -- window dressing. The Amazon announcement is just the 2011 iteration of the endless procurement loop death cycle.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby MinM » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:35 am

Earth-704509
MinM

Postby justdrew » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:43 am

Other.

The only way out is through. One thing to keep in mind, much of these sorts of capability will be at the disposal of private enterprises, even if the NSA were "banned" tomorrow.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby elfismiles » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:04 am

justdrew » 06 Aug 2013 04:43 wrote:Other.

The only way out is through. One thing to keep in mind, much of these sorts of capability will be at the disposal of private enterprises, even if the NSA were "banned" tomorrow.

In talking about the Surveillance State with a close friend a few months back ... his sense was that the system will inevitably cave under financial pressures as the funds to support the surveillance state infrastructure will implode / evaporate.

I pray that happens soon. But somehow without concomitant destruction of social safety-nets.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:27 am

The "surveillance state" may be on tenuous footing, but the surveillance industry is a tremendous growth market and every government and corporation in the world wants a piece.

Amazon buying The Washington Post is an amazing signal.

I wonder how much of the K. Graham / de Borchgrave files still exist there?
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:18 am

elfismiles » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:04 am wrote:
justdrew » 06 Aug 2013 04:43 wrote:Other.

In talking about the Surveillance State with a close friend a few months back ... his sense was that the system will inevitably cave under financial pressures as the funds to support the surveillance state infrastructure will implode / evaporate.

I pray that happens soon. But somehow without concomitant destruction of social safety-nets.

The "collapse" thread has some good crossover ideas with this one. The surveillance state could collapse under complete and utter environmental catastrophe. It's going to be strange and possibly entertaining to watch the powers that be attempt to spread their resources out to cover off-planet survivalist yachts, resource extraction, wars, and surveillance. I'm afraid that it would mean their killing will become even more indiscriminate.

Alternately, climate catastrophe could be an opportunity to strike at exposed weaknesses in the security/surveillance state. Humanity in 2013 is a lot more nimble than the heaving apparatus.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Person of Interest

Postby MinM » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Listening to dvd commentary (14:44) on the season 2 finale of Person of Interest the producers mention 'the cloud' ..

"The Cloud" as it turns out is a misnomer. There are actually huge 'data server farms' set up out in Utah and New Mexico collecting and storing data from 'the cloud'.

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:27 am wrote:The "surveillance state" may be on tenuous footing, but the surveillance industry is a tremendous growth market and every government and corporation in the world wants a piece.

Amazon buying The Washington Post is an amazing signal.

I wonder how much of the K. Graham / de Borchgrave files still exist there?
MinM

Postby brekin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:19 pm

No.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to General Discussion