Questions About Philip K. Dick

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Questions About Philip K. Dick

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:18 am

Drew, that candle thing is effing cool. Thank you.
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Links to a scan of PKDs Tagore letter that he mailed to 85 people.

https://ubikcan.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/tagore1.jpg

https://ubikcan.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/tagore2.jpg

The new savior refers to the Maitreya of Benjamin Crème and Share International.

Three of the last ten letters PKD wrote before his death on February 18, 1982 were to Benjamin Crème. (from Volume 6: The Selected Letters of Philip K Dick 1980-1982)
PufPuf93

Postby guruilla » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:09 pm

What's redemptive, or at least redeemable, about PKD's vision is that it began as inspiration for fiction and he could never quite forget that he was a writer of fiction even when he was writing about how it was ALL TRUE.

The exegesis is exhausting and I think it was meant to be, that PKD was trying to consume all of his intellectual resources by creating system after system to "explain" human consciousness, starting and ending with his own 2/3/74 experience and then discarding them and recycling the parts into the next one, and so on.

It's also tragic because underneath seems a plaintive cry of despair that he can't simply let go of the need to understand/explain/conceptualize and just live.

Yet I think it was also his saving grace in a way, that he could never settle into any one interpretation and so he was incapable of becoming a snake-oil salesman of belief. Instead he left a morass of mental confusion & existential ennui disguised as an oeuvre.

Maybe the message is the message of every mirror: quit checking your hair, turn away, and live.
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:21 pm

guruilla » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:09 pm wrote:What's redemptive, or at least redeemable, about PKD's vision is that it began as inspiration for fiction and he could never quite forget that he was a writer of fiction even when he was writing about how it was ALL TRUE.

The exegesis is exhausting and I think it was meant to be, that PKD was trying to consume all of his intellectual resources by creating system after system to "explain" human consciousness, starting and ending with his own 2/3/74 experience and then discarding them and recycling the parts into the next one, and so on.

It's also tragic because underneath seems a plaintive cry of despair that he can't simply let go of the need to understand/explain/conceptualize and just live.

Yet I think it was also his saving grace in a way, that he could never settle into any one interpretation and so he was incapable of becoming a snake-oil salesman of belief. Instead he left a morass of mental confusion & existential ennui disguised as an oeuvre.

Maybe the message is the message of every mirror: quit checking your hair, turn away, and live.

PKD never intended for the Exegesis to be published.

Times change and now the Exegesis is published.

Sad that so talented a man lived the life of a tortured human (artist) and then died when he first attained material security and an upgrade in professional success.

Maybe the French like him because h was an existentialist?

Probably you are right in that, "Maybe the message is the message of every mirror: quit checking your hair, turn away, and live."
PufPuf93

Postby backtoiam » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:51 pm

That can often be a very wise choice indeed.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby Nordic » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks for this. This is great.

"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God".

I've felt that way for a very long time, my whole life in fact, and back in 1980 or thereabouts when suddenly the right-wing propaganda machine got really going with the Reagan administration, James Watt, and how they started to get the spook press to start the idea that environmentalists were "left-wing" and all, yet they CLAIMED to be Christian, well ......

It's funny because I'm actually old enough to remember when saving the environment wasn't an issue of partisanship, but of common sense. And my rather right-wing parents (extremely right wing in the case of my father) always taught me to conserve the earth, soil, air, and water, and my mother taught me that God was found in nature.

Anyway .... carry on ....

I have not read enough Philip K. Dick. Yet.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby tapitsbo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Obviously some of the people behind said blatant anti-environmentalism were informed enough to understand the consequences of what they were pushing.

Makes me shudder to try imagining what they might have believed would make up for the negative consequences
tapitsbo

Postby backtoiam » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:44 pm

Obviously some of the people behind said blatant anti-environmentalism were informed enough to understand the consequences of what they were pushing.

Makes me shudder to try imagining what they might have believed would make up for the negative consequences

I am of the opinion that sooner or later oil well frakkin will go down in history as one of the stupidest activities ever undertaken by the human species. Thousands of millions of gallons of toxic material shoved under pressure into the world's natural fresh water ecosystem. I suspect that will be a bummer for a long time to come.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby tapitsbo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:01 am

good thing people are making progress getting it banned - the activities of indigenous people in Canada destroying the relevant equipment are great to learn about, though under-reported for obvious reasons
tapitsbo

Postby General Patton » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:38 am

backtoiam » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:20 am wrote:I'm not having good luck with the buttons on this forum. I meant to include more info on my last post but I didn't do it right, so I will do it here.

I don't know what "i see what you did there" means but maybe I should clarify the initial premise.

I'm all about people activating their superman intuitive powers if it can be done in a safe manner. But there are literally small children as young as 12 years old reading things on the internet, attempting to become a super mind expanded guru, and then reporting "hearing weird whispers" they that ASSUME is their guardian angel or higher self. This is dangerous in the extreme and could seriously impair a young and aspiring light bulb head.

I don't want to post the following site in a manner that will bring the web bots here and proliferate this because I think it is dangerous for these poor little young kids that have no idea what sort of gate they are cracking open. I read every single comment on this site. These poor little kids have no idea what could happen, which "current" they could open, and never close again...

I riddled this address with X's so that maybe the web bots wont track it and I am responsible for proliferating "premature" spiritual experience in a harmful way. Remove the X's, read all the comments, and you will see what I mean.

http:X//conscXiouslifeXnews.comX/how-to-opeXn-third-Xeye-piXneal/113X8045/

Your higher self wants you to masturbate and eat chocolate.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby Harvey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:49 am

General Patton » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:38 am wrote:
Your higher self wants you to masturbate and eat chocolate.

Good find. :sun:
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby guruilla » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:24 pm

That's a really interesting book, now called Entity Possession: Freeing the Energy Body of Negative Influences.

Though I strongly suspect that these "entities" are fragments of our psyches turned anonymous, not some nonhuman phenomena from "out there." (hence the desire for chocolate!)
guruilla

Postby tapitsbo » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:43 pm

I'm sure there is a lot of truth to what you're saying guruilla, but I also have niggling doubts about the psyche operating entirely as a self-contained autonomous system of fragments, anonymous or otherwise.
tapitsbo

Postby guruilla » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:47 pm

tapitsbo » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:43 pm wrote:I'm sure there is a lot of truth to what you're saying guruilla, but I also have niggling doubts about the psyche operating entirely as a self-contained autonomous system of fragments, anonymous or otherwise.

I'm not sure I understand that description enough to agree or disagree!
guruilla

Postby General Patton » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:48 pm

guruilla » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:24 am wrote:That's a really interesting book, now called Entity Possession: Freeing the Energy Body of Negative Influences.

Though I strongly suspect that these "entities" are fragments of our psyches turned anonymous, not some nonhuman phenomena from "out there." (hence the desire for chocolate!)

Did you read the book? The author states that most entities are mechanical astral entities that are created when a human dies and their astral body shatters, leaving behind pieces of earthly desires. This along with a few other much rarer categories of entities.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion