[POLL] Abolish the "ignore" function.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Should the ignore function be abolished?

Yes.
41%
No. (State reasons.)
59%

Total votes : 27

Re: [POLL] Abolish the "ignore" function.

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:05 am

km artlu » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:12 pm wrote:WR ~ you responded above to selected quotes from Mac. I believe much of the tension here would be relieved if you forthrightly responded to this:

From the memory hole: Wombaticus Rex to American Dream, in October 2014, calling AD a troll...

So I want to know why we have been subjected to AD`S trolling for so long. I want to know why honest posters have had to tolerate being trolled by AD, or else waste their time complaining about it, or leave the board in disgust.

Will you please respond to that?

Sure.

I don't like American Dream, as a person or a personal brand, but his behavior isn't breaking rules here. In fact -- and I've been saying this for years too, which people could conceivably look up -- AD's behavior appears to be carefully calculated to be within the rules.

I also think, and this is something I've said perhaps less often, that AD doesn't actually owe anyone explanations. I don't think any of you do. Sure, this is General Discussion but it's not some kind of contractual obligation to dialog. Being able to ignore certain questions and people is kind of your right, as an adult human being in general. This isn't Starbucks. You're not baristas. You're not paying customers, either. Feel me?

I feel a lot more personal uncertainty about letting Nordic and Jack run their mouths for so long. I feel like to a very real extent, RI has grown out of personal relationships between people much older than me that I don't know personally at all, so I've been hesitant to come down on longtime members like I would on someone new. That's absolutely true.

However, AD isn't one of those people. When he's taken inappropriate shots at people, he's been suspended. I haven't seen any ban-worthy transgressions. That's why AD isn't banned.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby km artlu » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:09 am

Thank you very much for responding, WR.
km artlu

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:42 am

^^^^Seconded.
It's not very enviable, mod duties within these forum walls -- for the reasons you (WR) outline above, among others.

With that in mind, please forgive me for zeroing in on the following:

WR:
AD's behavior appears to be carefully calculated to be within the rules.

Fully agreed. It's been evident for some time, and called out by quite a few of us over the years (this thread merely the most recent).
So now, this AD is skating by all these years on a technicality, to the detriment of the board (I'm one of the 'members' Mac alludes to when he raises the diminished contributions by former regulars here [though I was never much of a 'regular']).

I get it -- the mod must comply with board 'rules'.

There's a part of me that finds this all so silly, the constructs we create -- at the macro and micro level -- that allows those with ulterior motives/agendas to identify and exploit 'loopholes'. A microcosm of our larger societal ills, ay?

Except: at the macro (govt) scale, despite persistent (albeit often futile/sporadic) frustration/resistance efforts, the macro-level loopholes continue to be exploited. We haven't been able to stop it. In this micro-level manifestation of rules/play, however, there is a tangible possibility for an exception to be made.

The portion of my brain addled by pop culture can't help but think of several parallel pop references to this conundrum.
This culture loves the 'Dirty Harry' type, irreverent to the rigid confines of THE LAW, willing to break a rule or two to cross over the etched lines and snag the 'bad' guy.

But, this forum's harmony relies on adherence to the rules.

Wishful thinking, alas.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:08 am

Back directly to the topic at hand: Upon further consideration prompted by Belligerent Savant's comment,
Belligerent Savant » Today, 08:42 wrote:There's a part of me that finds this all so silly, the constructs we create -- at the macro and micro level -- that allows those with ulterior motives/agendas to identify and exploit 'loopholes'. A microcosm of our larger societal ills, ay?

Except: at the macro (govt) scale, despite persistent (albeit often futile/sporadic) frustration/resistance efforts, the macro-level loopholes continue to be exploited. We haven't been able to stop it. In this micro-level manifestation of rules/play, however, there is a tangible possibility for an exception to be made.

it is with respect and understanding toward MacCruiskeen that I suggest that the ignore function is, at once, both perfect and imperfect solution to the issue addressed in the OP.

It is clearly flawed in the macro-world sense alluded to by His Belligerence, but a solution in the micro-world when dealing with someone who refuses engagement in a topic of discussion they themselves stink up the place with. Even if the existence of the ignore function encourages this type of behavior, since I do not detect any of the crapasta in question the least bit worthy of discussion, certainly not worthy of my time, then I can ignore it, whether or not I implement the option, which I just might in the future. I would certainly encourage Mac to do so in this case.

I really have come to believe that ignoring trolls, no matter their motivation, is the best way to go. I reiterate, however, that I find it highly unlikely that such an artful dickhead has set anyone to ignore. Either way, I don't care.
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby Elihu » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:47 pm

AD's behavior appears to be carefully calculated to be within the rules.

the letter of the law kills while the spirit is life and peace

I really have come to believe that ignoring trolls, no matter their motivation, is the best way to go

and so by judging another i condemn myself
Elihu

Postby brekin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Times like this it is good to consider a certain poster and his theory of "keyword hijacking" and his legacy. God bless him, but anyone with a memory has to remember what went done with his participation on the forum. There was someone who genuinely believed in what they were posting and besides a kernel of simpatico souls to his theory, many to most of the users on the board found his posts inane, disruptive, repetitive, and taking up huge reams of real estate. And as his theory and methodology was applicable to everything he was very, very active in every thread. He also was a magnet for abuse and a magneto for giving abuse. He frequently took every thread to the limit.

The problem was he was kind of like the ardent biblical scholar at the New Age convention. He was so contrary and reductionist with most material that after stating his theory, you were either a dissenter or a believer. There was no compromise. He was mostly civil, in a true believer "poor souls you are all blind to reality fashion", but many threads were derailed because of him. Posting in the data dump, a singular thread, using his own RI blog feature etc. were all floated, but he wasn't interested. A lot of gnashing of teeth and tears of rage all around.

So when people talk about "how the forum use to be" I'm curious if they are selectively omitting the "Disney is CIA for kidz" era? Because a long period of time was spent dealing with him, and was hardly the super brain trust/literally salon that has been advertised.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:40 pm

complainers got to complain...it seems that's all they got anymore

we need a complaint sub forum....oh wait we have one don't we?

I demand we get one and all complaint OPs be moved there

maybe I will start an OP about that :P

maybe they could be moved here :P

viewforum.php?f=14
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:04 pm

I once suggested and maybe originated a "Fine whines and juicy gripes", or something like that, for that purpose.
Last edited by Iamwhomiam on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Nordic » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:03 pm

"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:05 pm

:yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay

give some advice to Rory ..will you?

How or why are you post in my thread if you are ignoring me?
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby peartreed » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:34 pm

A typical growth stage for prepubescent boys is to experiment with their power over helpless creatures, like frogs, snakes, insects or, sometimes, small domestic pets. Depending on the juvenile’s educational or parental or religious training, a normal mental balance often soon offsets the sadistic joy and power-tripping a less stable child might otherwise find rewarding in victimizing the more vulnerable.

The evolution to considerate social behavior is also a measurement of intrinsic character, psychological stability and a maturing awareness of social responsibility.

Through positive experience one learns to modify primitive urges and develop a more altruistic appreciation of traits like compassion, empathy and sympathy towards other living creatures. In effect, nurturing a tolerance, respect, empathy and kindness towards other living beings - greater or smaller or just different.

Unfortunately, some particularly primitive people never fully mature emotionally or mentally, and never grow out of the teasing, torturing, tormenting technique of crude bullying. Their fragile ego requires the imagined domination of another for satisfaction. They get a perverse thrill out of harming, ridiculing and hurting others.
peartreed

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:38 pm

peartreed » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:34 pm wrote:A typical growth stage for prepubescent boys is to experiment with their power over helpless creatures, like frogs, snakes, insects or, sometimes, small domestic pets. Depending on the juvenile’s educational or parental or religious training, a normal mental balance often soon offsets the sadistic joy and power-tripping a less stable child might otherwise find rewarding in victimizing the more vulnerable.

The evolution to considerate social behavior is also a measurement of intrinsic character, psychological stability and a maturing awareness of social responsibility.

Through positive experience one learns to modify primitive urges and develop a more altruistic appreciation of traits like compassion, empathy and sympathy towards other living creatures. In effect, nurturing a tolerance, respect, empathy and kindness towards other living beings - greater or smaller or just different.

Unfortunately, some particularly primitive people never fully mature emotionally or mentally, and never grow out of the teasing, torturing, tormenting technique of crude bullying. Their fragile ego requires the imagined domination of another for satisfaction. They get a perverse thrill out of harming, ridiculing and hurting others.

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:40 pm

I have a couple of things to say and I'll say them tomorrow.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby cptmarginal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:02 pm

I've managed to never use the ignore function, ever - and to not dislike virtually any member here. I've also studiously made it a point not to participate in any pointless drama threads, with great results :yay

Oops, now I've joined in.

(Words on a screen!)
cptmarginal

Postby cptmarginal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:02 pm

cptmarginal

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion