Postby Elvis » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:42 pm

1999 Balanced Budget OOPS.jpg

The Problem with orthodox Democrats:

https://prospect.org/article/republican ... ont-matter
Republicans Proved Deficits Don’t Matter
David Dayen
July 24, 2019
[. . .]

Of course, GOP officials are all too happy to performatively restrict spending on the very poor—applying work requirements to Medicaid, for example, or limiting states from maximizing access to food stamps. But these should rightly be seen as social and not fiscal policies, meant to reverse allegedly unfair handouts to people who don’t vote for them. The spending itself is a means to an end, and the aggregate level rises and falls depending on which party might benefit in elections.

Democrats should not be expected to play a similar game of demanding austerity depending on the White House’s occupant. Unlike Republicans they wouldn’t harm the economy for political gain. No, they do something far worse: Acting as responsible stewards, they seek to handcuff themselves in office by forwarding deficit reduction packages, sabotaging their own economies in the process. Both the Clinton and Obama administrations paid close attention to deficits, egged on by Republican legislatures but to some degree in on the game themselves.
[. . .]

What McConnell does engage in, like his Republican colleagues, is runaway spending as long as a Republican is president. The hypocrisy of the cries of deficit hysteria from the GOP under Obama is certainly galling. But we should heed the lessons available here. Fiscal policy works. The warnings against it have yet to come true. Democrats should not apply brakes to themselves on spending if they get the chance. And if Republicans try the same special pleading for austerity under the next Democratic president, well, that’s what nuking the filibuster is for.

"No politician ever lost office for spending more money.” — Mitch McConnell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Democratic Party, 2019

Postby RocketMan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:07 pm

A bit of levity....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby RocketMan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:28 am

Well, there we have it... Imagine them even vetting Bernie. Not gonna happen in gazillion years.

What is interesting, though, is to ponder on if Warren would have energized the Clinton campaign enough to put her over the finishing line. Tim Kaine was tewwible, tewwible, a milquetoast neoliberal horror.

Clinton still probably would have considered the presidency her personal birthright and fiefdom and refused to campaign in Wisconsin etc...

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... nt-1435422

Warren: I would've accepted a VP offer from Clinton

Warren — who declined to launch her own presidential bid 2½ years ago despite intense efforts by progressives to draft her — even received a “full vetting” for the vice presidential slot by Clinton’s team and was interviewed at the candidate’s Whitehaven mansion in Washington, according to Bloomberg Businessweek.

Clinton “seriously weighed” Warren as a potential running mate, the report states, and top aide Philippe Reines wrote in a memo to his boss after their meeting: “If a crystal ball said she wouldn’t antagonize you for four years, it’s hard to argue she isn’t the most helpful for the next four months to get you elected.”

Asked whether she would have agreed to become Clinton’s No. 2 on the ticket, Warren responded: “Yes.”

During the 2016 campaign, Warren controversially opted not to back Clinton’s chief primary challenger, fellow liberal Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, and went on to endorse Clinton in June of that year after the former secretary of State had secured enough delegates to capture her party’s nomination. Clinton ultimately selected Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine as her running mate.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:25 pm

RocketMan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:28 am wrote:What is interesting, though, is to ponder on if Warren would have energized the Clinton campaign enough to put her over the finishing line.

Without a doubt.

That was then.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:52 pm

You couldn't pay me to go to a campaign (presidential) rally any more. It's weird in this day and age that they're even necessary. But I guess it's mostly about fundraising. I went to a Ralph Nader rally in 2000 or something and Key Arena was packed! I thought for sure the Greens had something going. Then the whole FL bullshit went down and we got bush.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby RocketMan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:10 pm

Grim
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby Grizzly » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:08 pm

^^^
Grim Bought.

Nice bots... :wallhead:
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Elvis » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Grizzly wrote:Nice bots... :wallhead:

Those Google bots make it easy to find things on RI, ala the "site:" search function (works 100X better than the RI search feature).
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby RocketMan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:41 am

Perhaps this will be a propos once again when Trump begins his second term...

Fucking Pelosi.
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby RocketMan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:33 am

Nancy indeed is starting to seem quite nervous, even desperate.

Granted, even impeachment proceedings against Trump would be based on issues that are distractions, but at this point I'd take just about ANY kind of pushback against him I can get. Pushback is not Democratic leadership yammering about Trump becoming "self-impeachable" in some press availability...

-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:50 am

Impeachment proceedings have all ready started

Nadler does not need Pelosi’s permission

all the Democrats I know understand this

Nixon was re elected before he was threatened with impeachment
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby RocketMan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:27 am

seemslikeadream » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:50 pm wrote:Impeachment proceedings have all ready started

Nadler does not need Pelosi’s permission

all the Democrats I know understand this

Yes yes, you are A Very Smart and Uniquely Qualified Expert.
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:28 am

I've lived through two American impeachments I understand it...I am not unique just have experience with the process

it does not take a genius just a basic understanding of history

“We have to do this, whatever time frame there is and we’re doing it now,”

Jerry Nadler

With Sunday surge, nearly half of House Democrats back impeachment inquiry
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... nt-1438519
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Grizzly » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Tough, but fair..
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:36 pm

Sure and keep trump and the republicans :roll:

It’s trump’s concentration camps ....yeah let’s keep those

It’s trump’s ICE that is keeping American citizens in jail

It’s trump that is kidnapping children

trump’s racism

trump wants to jail women who have abortions

trump playing good buddies with the Saudis doesn’t care if they kill journalists

trump has sold out American foreign policy to the likes of Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates for personal gain

it's trump that is taking away food stamp for families that really need them

trump calls where black people live rodent infested

trump does not believe in climate change

Yes let’s give his son in law more ownership in slums.....he already owns 8000

trump has brought back the federal death penalty

Immigration Officials Snatch 9-Year-Old U.S. Citizen Heading To School, Hold Her For 2 Days

Rust, mold, parasites: Trump’s Mar-a-Lago cited for 78 health violations in the last three years
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion