The Trump Spectacle & the Corporate-Media Noise Machine

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Trump Spectacle & the Corporate-Media Noise Machine

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:49 am

As Rigorous Intuition subsides under the weight of two dozen Trump threads (most of them so full of crap as to constitute a public health hazard), Tracey's first article for the Young Turks provides a timely reminder that it's not the media's mission to guide you towards the truth. Links in the original.

Michael Tracey

20 hrs ago 4 min read

Trump, Chaos, And Hatred

More than once over the past few days, I have been asked both online and off: “How in the hell am I supposed to keep up with everything that’s going on? How do I, as a non-professional, somewhat casual consumer of news, figure out how to process all this information constantly being thrown at me from every direction, knowing that some of it will be phony hysterics and misdirection, while some of it will also be gravely serious and demand my attention?”

My answer is: I…don’t know. I’m working on it.

Even journalists whose “one job” is to sort the news on any given day are failing immensely at this task — often their “heart is in the right place,” but the task is extremely daunting. For one thing, clearly Trump has calculated that it’s in some sense to his benefit when everyone is completely overwhelmed and suffering from a form of cognitive overload; it allows him to move briskly from issue to issue without staying there for very long — he’s essentially breaking the national attention span by saturating it with information, controversy, hysteria, real problems, fake problems, fights, feuds, tweets, and all the rest. He is keenly aware of how to prod the media into indulging its worst instincts, so a vicious cycle emerges where Trump does something outlandish, and then the media responds by acting outlandishly in its own right.

You have to be an extremely sophisticated consumer of news in order to successfully parse the present situation. There’s a never-ending deluge of sensory data flying at you 24/7, and people who understandably take a layperson’s attitude toward “the news” will simply glance at a retweet or headline, and then assume that the essence of the story is true because it’s coming from, say, the Washington Post. What normal person wants to spend their time analyzing the journalistic proclivities of Josh Rogin, who propagated the wildly misleading story last week that the State Department had undergone shocking mass resignations in some kind of display of defiance against Trump? The story’s central claim fell apart upon a moment’s scrutiny, but it didn’t matter: the thousands of people who retweeted the link and shared it on Facebook, and then the many orders of magnitude more people who simply viewed the story, still have the idea implanted in their heads that the entire senior management structure of the State Department resigned in an act of mass protest. But that’s simply not an accurate representation of what happened.

Another example: one of the first big controversies of the Trump presidency that rocketed across social media was a supposed “gag order” that he had instituted at the EPA, which sounds authoritarian and foreboding. Trump will probably implement policies by way of the EPA that really are authoritarian and foreboding, but this wasn’t one of them. In fact, it turns out that the “gag order” was more like ordinary transition business — banal and expected, rather than inflammatory or extreme.

Now, there’s a certain cynical cohort who will see pointing out falsehoods like the above as somehow inherently “pro-Trump,” or intended to help Trump. But the exact opposite is true. Trump will not be effectively scrutinized if falsehoods, myths, and hysterias are allowed to fester without rebuttal. First, it will diminish the credibility of the media writ large, and the public will be more inclined to ignore legitimate reporting because over and over again the media has demonstrated its propensity to allow for the unthinking propagation of bogus anti-Trump tales. (Yes, referring to “the media” as one monolithic entity here is inherently reductive, but that’s how a lot of the public sees it, as a single formless blob.)

Being willing to point out falsehoods even when that ostensibly “helps Trump” serves the purpose of bolstering one’s credibility, such that when one does proffer criticisms or adversarial anti-Trump reporting, it can’t be easily dismissed as knee-jerk or partisan. There’s so much “noise” out there at the moment that it’s hard to see how individual journalists can cope, other than to maintain an ethos of prudence and fairness, and to apply that equitably to everyone in power.

Here’s what probably won’t be effective: stoking a kind of petty, personal hatred for Trump, mocking of his personal characteristics, affectations, etc. None of that will be particularly useful if one’s aim is to provide a serious counterweight to the harm-causing policies he’s likely to marshal, and already has marshaled. If anything, that superficial stuff just a vapid indulgence taken by people with little interest in policy, and who are more incensed about Trump the cultural figure rather than Trump the chief governing executive.

The precise analog was on full display throughout much of the Obama presidency, with conservatives (and especially the conservative media complex) fomenting the most ridiculous possible anti-Obama hatred, based on asinine mischaracterizations of his actual political beliefs. No, Obama is not and never was a stealth Jihadist intent on bringing down America from within. If anything, he was a temperamental conservative with incrementalist inclinations, but you would’ve hardly known that based on the wildly overblown, cheap depictions that conservatives promulgated and profited immensely from for eight years.

There is a burgeoning “industry” that will capitalize on visceral anti-Trump animus in the populace — much of it legitimate — strictly for profit. They are what Matt Stoller has aptly labeled “Outrage Grifters.” The types of people who had a direct hand in corrupting the American political system, and now seek to absolve themselves of culpability by directing everyone’s ire at Trump the person, rather than the system that produced him.

So that’s the spirit with which I want to approach my new position at TYT, which begins today. Shunning hyper-reactivity, but reacting where necessary with diligence and impartiality. Not letting Outrage Merchants get away with selling their worthless product, but pointing out outrages where they do legitimately exist (Trump’s de facto “Muslim Ban” victimizes innocents, and that needs to be emphasized). Trying to bring some circumspection and discernment to what is otherwise a wild, volatile, hysteria-inducing media climate.

So that’d be my long-winded answer to the person wondering how the hell they’re supposed to cope with all this: stay tuned.

https://medium.com/theyoungturks/trump- ... .jv8o519bj

So many people who set the stage for Trump by corrupting our system are now capitalizing on the outrage. #OutrageGrifters

 — @matthewstoller
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Trump Spectacle & the Corporate-Media Noise Machine

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:53 am

i am deleting my post...per Mac's objections
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby RocketMan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:56 am

So many people who set the stage for Trump by corrupting our system are now capitalizing on the outrage. #OutrageGrifters

 — @matthewstoller

Exactly. This is why I find the recent proliferation of frankly un-curated "Trump Is Evil" copypasta so futile and pointless.

People like Chuck Schumer are suddenly launching themselves as some sort of constitutional warriors after grovelling before Dubya for eight years. And suddenly Obama has seen the light regarding civil disobedience. It's disgusting.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:57 am

Last edited by seemslikeadream on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:02 am

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:08 am

RocketMan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:56 am wrote:

 — @matthewstoller

Exactly. This is why I find the recent proliferation of frankly un-curated "Trump Is Evil" copypasta so futile and pointless.

People like Chuck Schumer are suddenly launching themselves as some sort of constitutional warriors after grovelling before Dubya for eight years. And suddenly Obama has seen the light regarding civil disobedience. It's disgusting.

Thanks, RocketMan. SLAD will destroy this thread too, for as long as she believes she can get away with it. Watch this space.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:31 am

Oh whatever, Mac. She will do what she does. It is not up to any of us to criticise someone sharing something. Try not to make this into insult central.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:33 am

82_28 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:31 am wrote:Oh whatever, Mac. She will do what she does. It is not up to any of us to criticise someone sharing something. Try not to make this into insult central.

Try not accusing me of insulting people when I insulted precisely no one.

82_28 wrote:It is not up to any of us to criticise someone sharing something.

This is Surrealism squared.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 am

Hahahaha! Surrealism Squared? WTF does that even mean? I would love to hear (read) your definition. I understand the squared part, but I do not quiet untoorcstand hte lak ov jest saing it. Chill, bro.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:47 am

International Holocaust Remembrance Day
Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 am

What a giant baby you are.

but if you are going to lie I will post to correct the record so if you do not want me to post in your thread don't LIE...and I will ALWAYS remember you personally insulting me... accusing me of lying about who I am...I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT

MacCruiskeen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:33 am wrote:
82_28 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:31 am wrote:Oh whatever, Mac. She will do what she does. It is not up to any of us to criticise someone sharing something. Try not to make this into insult central.

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby NeonLX » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:58 am

Jesus. Mac. I love your posts bro, but this exchange is a bit...well, disconcerting.

Yes, the US government is a "terrorist organization". Has been for decades...or even centuries? But Herr Drumpf seems to be accelerating the hate at an alarming tempo. As I've said elsewhere, the only "good" thing about Drumpf is that he may be galvanizing the opposition, much of which lay dormant while Obomb'em was in office.

But...ya. Drumpf is a menace, both domestically and internationally.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:05 am

seemslikeadream » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:47 am wrote:
International Holocaust Remembrance Day
Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 am

What a giant baby you are.

but if you are going to lie I will post to correct the record so if you do not want me to post in your thread don't LIE...and I will ALWAYS remember you personally insulting me... accusing me of lying about who I am...I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT

MacCruiskeen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:33 am wrote:

Slad, if you're really going to insist on dragging stuff over here from other threads (in yet another effort to get me banned), then at least have the minimal honesty to include the link to what you're whingeing about so disingenuously:

Link: viewtopic.php?p=629728#p629728

Because I said what I said in a context, and that context was you childishly accusing me of loving Trump.

ffs

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:08 am

I will keep posting all the lies and all the personal attacks you have made/told about me if you want to continue this discussion or we can stop this now

MacCruiskeen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:55 pm wrote:
Well, you're sceptical about a fantasy you invented yourself, for SLAD is not Irish but American. (See: Plastic Paddies). Personally, I suspect she is no more Irish than Vladimir O'Putin, but who cares anyway, certainly not the Irish (or the Russians). In any case: From Bono to Samantha Power to Michael O'Leary, there's no shortage of Hibernians, plastic or real, who bring nothing but dishonour on the Oul' Sod. As Senator Chucky R. Lá so rightly said, in a recent speech to the Dáil: "Let us do everything in our power to prevent such gobshites from blackening our nation's name."
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:11 am

Hey, Mac. Chill. This is making a mockery of a place that is mostly unknown. I had a boss who always repeat the mantra "JBN" or something it meant Just be nice. That was it. You're a good and insightful motherfucker. You are OK with me. However, I request you tone down insults. I understand that that could be construed as something or another, but it is not. We're all here.
82_28

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:21 am

NeonLX » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:58 am wrote:Jesus. Mac. I love your posts bro, but this exchange is a bit...well, disconcerting.

Yes, the US government is a "terrorist organization". Has been for decades...or even centuries? But Herr Drumpf seems to be accelerating the hate at an alarming tempo. As I've said elsewhere, the only "good" thing about Drumpf is that he may be galvanizing the opposition, much of which lay dormant while Obomb'em was in office.

But...ya. Drumpf is a menace, both domestically and internationally.

What "exchange", Neon? You and RocketMan are the only posters here who have actually responded to me, or to the OP, with anything other than irrelevant nonsense. I would have thought Michael Tracey's article was pretty self-explanatory, and his reasons for writing it even more so.

I recommend reading the thing at source, btw; Tracey doesn't just make assertions, he backs them up with links. And the fact is, since Trump's election the "news" sphere has been an absolute shitstorm of rumours, half-truths, exaggerations, hysterical prophecies and plain lies, making it next to impossible to work out from one day to the next what's really serious, what's actually unprecedented, and what's worth focusing on.

Michael Tracey wrote:Now, there’s a certain cynical cohort who will see pointing out falsehoods like the above as somehow inherently “pro-Trump,” or intended to help Trump. But the exact opposite is true. Trump will not be effectively scrutinized if falsehoods, myths, and hysterias are allowed to fester without rebuttal. First, it will diminish the credibility of the media writ large, and the public will be more inclined to ignore legitimate reporting because over and over again the media has demonstrated its propensity to allow for the unthinking propagation of bogus anti-Trump tales.

[...]

There is a burgeoning “industry” that will capitalize on visceral anti-Trump animus in the populace — much of it legitimate — strictly for profit. They are what Matt Stoller has aptly labeled “Outrage Grifters.” The types of people who had a direct hand in corrupting the American political system, and now seek to absolve themselves of culpability by directing everyone’s ire at Trump the person, rather than the system that produced him.

https://medium.com/theyoungturks/trump- ... .jv8o519bj

This strikes me as uncontroversial, but it's so seldom been said that it's worth quoting it in large type.

NeonLX wrote:As I've said elsewhere, the only "good" thing about Drumpf is that he may be galvanizing the opposition, much of which lay dormant while Obomb'em was in office.

"Galvanizing" 'em like a frog's severed legs wired to a battery. As soon as the media switch off the juice (maybe after a JFK-in-Dallas moment or some other "constitutional crisis"), I think most of that "opposition" will subside into happy inertia once again, and then it'll be back to business-as-usual, capitalism-as-usual, empire-as-usual. planetary-collapse-as-usual. And you'll be a "conspiracy theorist" or a Debbie Downer if you see anything wrong with any of it.
Last edited by MacCruiskeen on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Next

Return to General Discussion